Beginners' Mafia 30.1: DP1

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2014 2:38:21 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Introduction to Mafia:

Mafia is a game of strategy and behavioral analysis that pits an uninformed majority (The Town) against an informed minority (The Mafia). All members of the Mafia know who they are and - by process of elimination - know who the members of the Town are. The mafia have their own shared PM where they can coordinate and discuss strategies. No member of the Town is given information about any other player; they must figure that out through the course of the game.

The game is divided into Day Phases (DP) and Night Phases (NP). Each DP will be conducted in a public thread created by me (such as this one). I will start each DP with a summary of actions performed the previous NP, a list of living and dead players, and other rules and notes. The DP is used by all players for open deliberation and is the only normal mechanism by which members of the Town can communicate with each other. It is the primary vehicle by which the members of the Town can eliminate their opposition: The Mafia. However, the Mafia are covertly part of this deliberation, and will try to disrupt or derail the plans of the Town, though in a way as not to reveal their affiliation.

During the DP, each player may cast a vote to lynch another player. The format is VTL Player Name. Unbolded votes do not count. To remove your vote from a player, simply Unvote. Alternatively, you may vote that no player be lynched that day with a vote to no-lynch, or VTNL. If a majority of the living players vote to have another player lynched, or vote that no one should be lynched, the DP will end with the death of that player (if applicable) and the NP will begin.

The NP is where players can utilize the abilities of any role they have been given. These will be detailed in PMs I create for each player. In addition, the members of the Mafia can elect to kill another player during the Night. The NP ends when all players have submitted their actions.

The object of the game for each faction (Town, Mafia) is to eliminate the other faction. As a short-cut, when the Mafia make up 50% or more of the living players, the game will end automatically, since they will be able to control the vote during the DP and can no longer be eliminated (under most circumstances). However, there is no such short-cut for the Town, and they must eliminate each member of the Mafia.

Terms, acronyms, and abbreviations:

Alignment - your status as Town, Mafia, or 3rd Party (anything not Town or Mafia).
Bandwagon - A "wagon" consists of the individuals voting for a person. Bandwagoning usually refers to hopping on such a wagon blindly or without clearly articulating your reasons.
BP - Bulletproof, a person immune to night kills.
Buddying - A tactic by mafia where they agree with or support towns people in an attempt to look innocent in return.
Bussing - When the mafia allow, or help, get one of their own members lynched, in order to look innocent in return, or to avoid suspicion.
Claim - Either Character Claim or Role Claim. This is a request to reveal this part of your Role.
Counter Claim - In most cases, roles are unique per game. A counter-claim is when one person challenges another person's role-claim by claiming the same role.
Fake Claim - Since your character or role can be indicative of your alignment, mafioso's usually invent fake claims to avoid suspicion. Can also be done by Towns-persons trying to perform some sort of gambit.
FOS - Finger of suspicion. Indicates that you suspect someone of being mafia, but usually not enough to place a vote on them.
Hammer - Placing the last vote on someone to get them lynched.
JK - Jailkeeper, a combination of doctor and roleblocker.
LYLO - Lynch or Lose, a situation where the towns-people only outnumber the mafia by 1. Since the mafia gets a kill at night and this would tie them with the town and earn them a win, it is necessary for the town to lynch a mafia in this situation or they lose.
Mod-kill - You break my rules - I kill you. I will also retroactively convert you into a survivor such that you can't even claim a win with your original faction.
MYLO - Mislynch and Lose, a situation where the towns-people outnumber the mafia by 2. A mislynch gives the mafia a free kill which, when combined with the mafia night kill, allows the mafia to win. Barring irrefutable results, MYLO generally results in no lynch, which merely leads to LYLO.
NK - night kill, any kill performed at night, though usually refers to the mafia night kill.
PM - Private message. Players are only permitted to create or talk in Private Messages set up by the mod.
PR - Power Role, a role with some ability, either passive or active. Towns people without a power role are referred to as "Vanillas" while mafiosos without a power role are referred to as "Goons"
RVS - Random Voting Stage. When there is no information to go on, but you need to get the game moving, generally you'll pressure someone randomly.
Scum - Anyone that is not aligned with the town.
Scum-tell - some trait, or "tell" that indicates a person may be scum.
Soft-claim - dropping hints, but not out-right claiming, to be a specific character or role.
SK - Serial Killer, a third party, night killing role.
WIFOM - Wine In Front Of Me. A subtle and complex type of psychology. You know I want to poison you. I serve us both glasses of wine. You think the poison is in the glass in front of you, but you know I know that's what you'd think, and so you realize the poison is actually in my glass, and I'm just waiting for your to drink from it instead.

Rules:

1. The only PMs you are allowed to use to talk about this game with other players are the PMs that I have specifically created for that purpose. Do not discuss the game in hangouts or other forum threads either.
2. You may not cut-and-paste from any game PM into the DP thread. You must always paraphrase. Simply replacing the occasional word with a synonym is not acceptable.
3. Do not use PM content or structure to confirm affiliation.
4. Be active (submit any Night actions in a timely matter and participate in DP discussions). I will replace people at my discretion in response to low or no activity. I will prompt you if your activity is low.
5. Excessive trolling will not be tolerated.
6. Excessive swearing and poor conduct will not be tolerated.
7. Do not post in the group PM; it is just for announcements from me.
8. Excessively long twilight periods (3 hour max limit) will not be tolerated. People posting after that will be warned. Do not post after the DP ends (i.e. the FINAL TALLY is posted).
9. Do not throw the game for an opposing faction or actively try to inhibit your own team from winning.
10. DPs will last until a majority vote has been reached or 48 hours has passed, whichever comes first. If the time-limit is reached, there will be no lynch.
11. NPs will last until everyone submits their night action or 24 hours has passed, whichever comes first. If the time-limit is reached, your action is forfeit.
12. Any DP or NP extensions will be announced by me in the DP thread; you may request extensions, but it is at my personal discretion whether to grant such requests.
13. All game related questions should be directed to me, via PM. You don't have to create a new PM, you may use your Role PM or mafia PM. If game related question are posted in the forum thread, please bold them.
14. Enforcement: Violations of rules 1, 2, and 3 will earn someone an automatic mod-kill. Violations of rules of rules 4 through 9 will result in warnings; you will receive 2 warnings and any further infractions thereafter will result in a mod-kill. Rules 8 through 12 are administrative, and are my responsibility as mod.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2014 2:39:46 PM
Round 1:

This Round will introduce you to the concept and basics of Mafia, including Role Madness!

Set-Up:

The roles found in this game are from the following list and only from the following list:

Town Roles

Cop - Investigates Players' alignments
Dreamer - Learns players' alignments passively
Priest - Learns roles of players that visit him
Role Cop - Learns players' roles
Tracker - Learns who players visit
Watcher - Learns who visits a player
Oracle - Reveals a player's role upon death
Bodyguard - Redirects lethal actions to self
Bulletproof - Immune to night kills
Doctor - Prevents the deaths of players
Virgin - If lynched, prevents all deaths the following Night Phase
Bomb - If killed at night, kills his killer
Hunter - If lynched, may kill another player
Paranoid Gun Owner - Kills anyone that visits him at night
Super Saint - If lynched, kills whoever placed the last vote
Vigilante - May kill another player at night
Universal Backup - Assumes the role of the first Town player to die
Mimic - May copy another player's role
Roleblocker - May prevent another player from using their role
Innocent Child - Mod confirmed as a Townie during a certain Day phase
Vanilla - Has no role
Pacifist - Cannot place votes on people at L-1
Aesthetic - Isn't affected by nonlethal actions
Sidekick - Can redirect nonlethal actions from one player to themselves

Mafia Roles

Role Cop - Learns players' roles
Suicide Bomber - May kill another player during the day, dying in the process
Mimic - May copy another player's role
Scout - Learns who players visit
Lookout - Learns who visits a player
Redirector - May redirect actions from one player to another
Role Stealer - May steal another player role. The new role is permanent.

Other

Additionally, there is a maximum of only one of each role. However, if a role shows up in both the town and mafia lists (e.g. mimic) there can be both a town mimic and a mafia mimic in the game, though not 2 town mimics or 2 mafia mimics. Also, no townie can have a mafia role, and vice versa.

Roles have been generated randomly, and have been randomly assigned.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2014 2:41:43 PM
LIVING PLAYERS

Rev
Dalt
Krieg
Yama
Lannan
Zaradi
Khaos
Budda

With 8 players alive, it takes 5 votes to lynch.
The DP ends at 3:00pm, DDO time, on 9/13/14.

Good luck!
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2014 2:43:13 PM
At 9/11/2014 2:38:21 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Mod-kill - You break my rules - I kill you. I will also retroactively convert you into a survivor such that you can't even claim a win with your original faction.

Damn... Now seeing this one. Way to be aggressive bro.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2014 2:45:09 PM
Hi! My name is Zaradi, and I'm one of the 'ringers' of this Beginner's Series. My goal this game, regardless of my affiliation, is to help newer players understand the game better and to teach them a thing or two about the lovely game of Mafia.

If you're wondering where to get started in the game now that we're underway, here's a few tips on things that you should and should not do."

Posting:

You should post. Often. While how often is more often governed by how much available time you have and how much of it you're willing to devote to an online forum game, day phases have a tendency to blow up very, very quickly. You're ability to be here and know what's going on as it's happening will greatly increase you're chance of success, whether you're town or mafia."

Moreover, it's always a great idea to be putting your thoughts and ideas on the table for the town to see. Unfortunately, the mafia won't be wearing any bright neon signs that say "Lynch me, I'm a bad guy" for these games. We have to do a bit of work to find them. The best way to do this is by talking and discussing. The more discussion we have, the more information town will have to work with, and thus the easier it will be to find the mafia."

Voting:

Please do this. More often than not, there is never a harm in putting your vote out there. Votes can and do create discussion, which helps the town narrow down who the mafia are. Even if you don't think you have enough evidence to place a vote, say what you have so that everyone else can discuss it. If you don't think you have enough evidence to vote for someone, then you can also place a finger of suspicion, or FOS, on them. This says that you find their actions and/or behavior suspicious, but you aren't quite ready to lynch them yet."

An important note: do not be afraid to die. Yes, I know dying sucks, and we would all much rather live than die. But all that is necessary for you to win is for your affiliation to win. Even if you die, if your affiliation still wins, then you win as well."

Claiming:

Do not claim unless there is sufficient pressure for you to do so. What is sufficient pressure? That's usually a judgment call on your part, but if you are at L-2 or L-1, meaning you are two votes away from being lynched (L-2) or one vote away from being lynched (L-1), it's usually a smart idea to go ahead and claim your role."

An important note: If you are a vanilla, that is still a role you need to be careful about claiming. While you may not have a night action to use, your claim helps narrow down the list of who does have a night action, which could result in them getting night killed. So think twice before throwing it out there."

Another important note: There is also a habit that some players use that is known as "soft-claiming". This is where, instead of claiming exactly what your role is, you make some sort of reference or allusion to what your role is. While I personally do not agree with it as a concept, there are instances where this is acceptable (this is, again, a judgment call on your part). If you are going to make a soft claim, be careful in the way you do it. While you may think you're being clever, you may not be as clever to someone else."

With that all being said, I would like to start the game with some random questions that I would like each and every one of you to answer (other experienced players included!). While these may seem like they're just for sh*ts and giggles, it gives us a place to start discussing the game and creates discussion as a starting place for town."

1. Are you mafia?

2. Would you rather be town or mafia? Why?

3. How much previous experience, if any, do you have with mafia?
With everything all said and done, let's get this game started for real!

VTL Budda for old times sake."
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2014 2:47:33 PM
With 8 players, we have no idea how many scum there are.
I highly recommend no lynching today.

Either we mass claim, or we get two claims from a volunteer, who names the second.
My work here is, finally, done.
Daltonian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2014 3:02:42 PM
At 9/11/2014 2:47:33 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Either we mass claim, or we get two claims from a volunteer, who names the second.
I'm a pacifist and I can confirm my role today.
F _ C K
All I need is "u", baby
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2014 3:05:12 PM
At 9/11/2014 3:02:42 PM, Daltonian wrote:
At 9/11/2014 2:47:33 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

I'm a pacifist and I can confirm my role today.

Alright.
VTL Dalton

Do you like my plan of a no lynch?
Mass claim or two claim? Either way, you pick.
Daltonian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2014 3:11:05 PM
NOBODY VOTE FOR ME IF I'M AT L-1 (one vote left till I die)

I have no idea if there are 1 or 2 mafia. 2 mafia would give us only one ML before we're at MYLO, whereas 1 mafia would give us two ML's before we're at MYLO.

In regard to whom I would like to claim, I don't know if massing is a good idea. It'd out any PR's which could be town's hope of winning.
F _ C K
All I need is "u", baby
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2014 3:22:22 PM
At 9/11/2014 3:11:05 PM, Daltonian wrote:
NOBODY VOTE FOR ME IF I'M AT L-1 (one vote left till I die)

I have no idea if there are 1 or 2 mafia. 2 mafia would give us only one ML before we're at MYLO, whereas 1 mafia would give us two ML's before we're at MYLO.

In regard to whom I would like to claim, I don't know if massing is a good idea. It'd out any PR's which could be town's hope of winning.

Assuming any exist, mind you.....
Keep in mind that the only real noobs are Yama and L8, but they both seem to have experience, so we'll see.
I'm guessing there is two mafia. Two mislynches, two mafia.

I was thinking we were at MYLO already, with some bad math.
Still, I think I'd rather no lynch today and see what shakes out.
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2014 3:30:09 PM
I'll have to hold off on my role right now. But it will be revealed at the start of DP2.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2014 3:45:16 PM
No lynching sounds fine, but there's no reason to rush the day phase. We have time to play with still.

Now if you people wouldn't mind answering the three questions at the bottom of my opening post that would be lovely.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2014 3:46:27 PM
At 9/11/2014 3:30:09 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:
I'll have to hold off on my role right now. But it will be revealed at the start of DP2.

LOL...so, no more claims, or we mass claim.
Vote Dalton, please.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2014 3:47:18 PM
At 9/11/2014 3:45:16 PM, Zaradi wrote:
No lynching sounds fine, but there's no reason to rush the day phase. We have time to play with still.

Now if you people wouldn't mind answering the three questions at the bottom of my opening post that would be lovely.

I'll get to it, when I have time to add to your posts.
I actually didn't see them.....dame tl;dr
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2014 4:32:32 PM

VTL Yama

The last several times that someone has claimed IC in a beginner's series they were fake claiming.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Daltonian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2014 4:33:49 PM
At 9/11/2014 4:32:32 PM, lannan13 wrote:

VTL Yama

The last several times that someone has claimed IC in a beginner's series they were fake claiming.
Vote for me so I can confirm myself first.
Even so, lynching him now if he claims to be confirmed as soon as the beginning of the next DP might not be worth taking the risk.
F _ C K
All I need is "u", baby
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2014 4:38:08 PM

VTL Yama

Never played beginner's series, before this.
TUF, and YYW
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2014 4:41:13 PM
At 9/11/2014 4:38:08 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:

VTL Yama

Never played beginner's series, before this.

But still, I know that you are a very typical (no offense) and perdictable player. Knowing that you are probably teamed up with someone like Budda or Khaos then it seems obvious that he would give you this fake claim.

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2014 4:43:26 PM
At 9/11/2014 4:33:49 PM, Daltonian wrote:

VTL Yama

Vote for me so I can confirm myself first.
Even so, lynching him now if he claims to be confirmed as soon as the beginning of the next DP might not be worth taking the risk.

I'll chose who I want to go after. If I wish to go after Yama first then I will do so. The fact is that I will go after who I think is scum or appears to be scum to me.

YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2014 4:43:35 PM
If enough people want it, I may out my role early. Before that, no. I don't see outing myself DP1 as a very good idea for town.
TUF, and YYW
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2014 4:45:26 PM
At 9/11/2014 3:46:27 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Vote Dalton, please.

I assume that I'm one of the two that you want claims from, but with that being said, I've always supported a DP1 mass claim in order to hault scum fake claims and attempt to caught them. Though the down side is that power roles will be revealed though, so it's a balance that we're going to have to think about.

Daltonian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2014 4:46:59 PM
At 9/11/2014 4:45:26 PM, lannan13 wrote:

Vote Dalton, please.

I assume that I'm one of the two that you want claims from, but with that being said, I've always supported a DP1 mass claim in order to hault scum fake claims and attempt to caught them. Though the down side is that power roles will be revealed though, so it's a balance that we're going to have to think about.
My role can be confirmed if I'm brought to L-1. Vote for me now and we will discuss mass claiming afterwards.
F _ C K
All I need is "u", baby
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2014 4:49:08 PM
At 9/11/2014 4:43:35 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:
If enough people want it, I may out my role early. Before that, no. I don't see outing myself DP1 as a very good idea for town.

You said that you're role is to be revealed at the beginning of the next DP. This plays out the assumption that you are a IC, but your statement above contradicts it unless you are a cop which then means that you intend to caught something in the night phase which is highly unlikely as I have rarely seen scum caught by a cop in a game.

YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2014 4:49:10 PM
At 9/11/2014 4:46:59 PM, Daltonian wrote:

Vote Dalton, please.

My role can be confirmed if I'm brought to L-1. Vote for me now and we will discuss mass claiming afterwards.

We're 22 posts in. Why do you want yourself lynched? The L-1 thing also seems like a bad idea. What if an inactive player 'accidentally' hammers you.
TUF, and YYW
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2014 4:51:10 PM

Vote Dalton, please.

I'll move to you after we deal with Yama. If we leave him then the spot light will come off of him and the possiblity of this light coming back is highly unlikely.

Daltonian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2014 4:52:05 PM
At 9/11/2014 4:49:10 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:
We're 22 posts in. Why do you want yourself lynched? The L-1 thing also seems like a bad idea. What if an inactive player 'accidentally' hammers you.
A pacifist cannot cast a hammering vote. By bringing myself to L-1, I can confirm myself as town because my hammer vote on myself will fail.

If an inactive "accidentally" hammers me, lynch him tomorrow and if he's town he'll learn a vital lesson from the game if he was bad enough to actually screw town like that.

Let it be known that if If you hammer me, you will die tomorrow.
F _ C K
All I need is "u", baby
Daltonian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2014 4:54:37 PM
At 9/11/2014 4:51:10 PM, lannan13 wrote:
I'll move to you after we deal with Yama. If we leave him then the spot light will come off of him and the possiblity of this light coming back is highly unlikely.
Why is the spotlight on Yama?
An IC DP2 claim is certain death for mafia, why would he claim that if he planned to reach DP2?
F _ C K
All I need is "u", baby
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2014 4:55:25 PM
At 9/11/2014 4:52:05 PM, Daltonian wrote:
A pacifist cannot cast a hammering vote. By bringing myself to L-1, I can confirm myself as town because my hammer vote on myself will fail.

If an inactive "accidentally" hammers me, lynch him tomorrow and if he's town he'll learn a vital lesson from the game if he was bad enough to actually screw town like that.

Let it be known that if If you hammer me, you will die tomorrow.

Okay. VTL Dalt
TUF, and YYW
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2014 4:55:43 PM

Vote Dalton, please.

The key word there is "accidentally,"this is an interesting scum move that I have in fact seen used and have done so myself as scum and passed it off as an 'accident' and defended it with my bad mafia record which hurts my reputation, but gives credit to the mistake. Anyways my point is that any noob can make said 'accident'

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2014 4:57:12 PM
At 9/11/2014 4:54:37 PM, Daltonian wrote:
At 9/11/2014 4:51:10 PM, lannan13 wrote:
Why is the spotlight on Yama?
An IC DP2 claim is certain death for mafia, why would he claim that if he planned to reach DP2?

That's the point. Either he/she would claim IC and this person is a possible suicide bomber that would target whoever they thought had the best lead on the mafia.