Jump to topic:

Developing a Game

GooeyPig
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 8:56:04 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
So a few of my friends and I (there are 6 of us) have decided that we're gonna make a game using the Gamemaker Engine. We've started tossing ideas around, and so far we've decided on a very basic structure for the game:

-overhead shooter/beat 'em up/general violence, similar to the way Hotline Miami looks
-humorously bad plot; the reason being, there aren't enough of us to make a beautiful, fleshed out, plot, so we're going to toss out any attempt at making it mean something and go with a plot so bad it's funny
-the previous point isn't supposed to mean that the game will be bad; rather the gameplay is supposed to be excellent, and the game funny partly because of the terrible plot (whether terrible means socially unacceptable or just poorly thought out, we don't know)
-pixelated graphics (well that's the only thing you can do with the engine)
-difficult; it's hopefully going to be funny, but not everyone finds the same things funny, so extreme difficulty is a decent fallback reason to convince people to get it

In addition to those, we've got about a dozen possible plots floating around right now, but they're all VERY basic, so I won't go into them here.

Basically, I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas for selling points or possible plots. If you have issues with what I said, please explain what they are so we can take them into consideration. We're not gonna steal your ideas, if we like them they might be implemented alongside/in our own. Before you suggest anything, you should know that there won't be a monetary reward, although we will give a shout out to you (if you want, I'll PM anyone whose ideas we want to use). The idea behind this is that we want to test the waters and see what people are looking for. Whether the company continues into uni or ends with high school, we want to be a company that acknowledges what people want and delivers good, desired, games.
"Religion has convinced people that there"s an invisible man"living in the sky, who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn"t want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer and burn and scream until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you and he needs money."
-George Carlin
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 9:59:46 PM
If I played it, I'm pretty sure I'd hate it based on your description. Fix it up more and don't simply do a shabby job.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 10:01:16 PM
I mean, the engine you're using might be limited, but don't sacrifice plot for gameplay, and make sure you touch up the visuals and graphics.
GooeyPig
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 12:21:20 PM
Alright, I see that the death-to-plot idea was bad. We'll do something about that, then. Also, we weren't planning on having the graphics be bad, just a sort of indie style. What I was really getting at was that we weren't going to have super Skyrim graphics.

Thanks for the advice though.
"Religion has convinced people that there"s an invisible man"living in the sky, who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn"t want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer and burn and scream until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you and he needs money."
-George Carlin
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 3:15:45 PM
I once made a game that had this one part that was extremely difficult (but possible). It was kind of a puzzle game. Some people liked it. A lot of people hated it. The storyline was coherent. Some people liked the soundeffects that I used; mixed reviews overall.
I enjoyed watching the game come into life, but I'm not sure whether or not people enjoyed it.
The controls were also confusing to a number of people. I couldn't seem to get that right.
Overall I think the game was extremely subpar and that more people 'liked' it our of courtesy than not. Not sure.
Gamemaker Engine sucks.
Senpai has noticed you.
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 3:20:22 PM
A lot of games are generally favored for its artistry (well-drawn sprites, illustration of environments) and gameplay (gameplay innovation is rare; something clever usually gets peoples' attention).
Senpai has noticed you.
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 7:39:16 PM
How about a game where you fight bosses (disguised with a bag labeled murderer at the time) by shooting them with bullets (Facts) collected during an investigation of the crime scene, and interviews with witnesses?

Best I can do.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 7:57:50 PM
At 12/22/2014 7:39:16 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:
How about a game where you fight bosses (disguised with a bag labeled murderer at the time) by shooting them with bullets (Facts) collected during an investigation of the crime scene, and interviews with witnesses?

Best I can do.

Is your love for detective games due to Danganronpa? XD
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 8:04:29 PM
At 12/22/2014 7:57:50 PM, RevNge wrote:

Best I can do.

Partially. In truth, I see every decision as a giant trial. It's very rare that I'm wrong in real life or such games. Hence, I've been nicknamed the fitting title of Ultimate Detective. Due to my talent and love of games.
TUF, and YYW
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 8:07:00 PM
At 12/22/2014 8:04:29 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:

Best I can do.

Partially. In truth, I see every decision as a giant trial. It's very rare that I'm wrong in real life or such games. Hence, I've been nicknamed the fitting title of Ultimate Detective. Due to my talent and love of games.

I wonder if we tied in 33.3, by the way. Annie's play made me LMAO.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 8:07:26 PM

Best I can do.

Were you really Mafia or were you trolling? >.>
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 8:08:28 PM
At 12/22/2014 8:07:26 PM, RevNge wrote:

Best I can do.

That's something for the Endgame, Rev.
TUF, and YYW
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 8:09:00 PM
At 12/22/2014 8:08:28 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:
At 12/22/2014 8:07:26 PM, RevNge wrote:

Best I can do.

That's something for the Endgame, Rev.

You know I have zero patience. Either way, 6-3-1 seems OP for scum.