Star Wars EU Mafia Endgame

trekie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 5:54:22 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Town and Maikuru wins!

I only let this last DP play out so Town could get the chance to lynch every scum. Had anybody else got lynched, I would have told Rev he was the last scum and asked him if he wanted to play out the game until he was inevitably lynched. His role/win-con was truly the worst, he had zero chance to win at this point without a factional kill. I was honestly expecting more mayhem with a more equal opportunity Serial Killer, (making Rev's win-con more viable) or his recruitment to mafia/town or simply an earlier lynch. Because of the crappy role and for being the last scum eliminated he gets an officially unoffical 2nd place.

Previous Day Phases:
DP1: http://www.debate.org...
DP2: http://www.debate.org...
DP3: http://www.debate.org...
DP4: http://www.debate.org...

Dramatis Personae
Town(11)

1)
Player: HPG
Character: Goran Beviin
Role: Third-Party Cop - Each night you may select another player. You will learn if that player is third-party (guilty) or not (innocent).
"My enemy's always my enemy but we can both get smart and put that aside while we deal with a common threat."
Affiliation/Win Condition: You win with the Town. The Town wins when it eliminates all opposing factions.

2)
Player: ford_prefect
Character: Cad Bane
Role: Medium - Each night you will learn pre-determined information about the game setup.
"This holocron carries information I've been paid to collect."
Affiliation/Win Condition: You win with the Town. The Town wins when it eliminates all opposing factions.
[mod note:
NP1 - There were 3 mafia at the start of the game.
NP2 - There was more than one Third-Party at the start of the game.
NP3 - There are hidden flavours in the game.
NP4 - There's no Cult in the game.
NP5 - The mafia was told what the theme was at the start of the game.
NP6 - The mod's favourite colour is orange, yet mod notes are still green.]

3)
Player: 1harderthanyouthink
Character: Calo Nord
Role: Tracker - Each night you may select another player. You will learn who they visited, but not what action(s) they took.
"I have to give you credit. You've led me on quite a chase. But nobody gets away from Calo Nord in the end."
[hidden flavour: Delayed - will receive results delayed by a phase.]

4)
Player: XLAV(1)
Character: Sintas Vel
Role: Alarmist - Each night you may target another player (or yourself). That player's alignment cannot be changed nor can they be recruited into other groups (Mason, Cult, Mafia, etc.).
"It looks like you are on your own."

5)
Player: F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Character: Zuckuss
Role: Pacifist - You cannot vote on players who are at L-1. Attempts to place such votes will not be recorded.
"Destroy another bounty hunter without warning? That's hardly in line with the Hunter's Creed!"

6)
Player: Danielle
Character: Boba Fett
Role: Jack-of-Two-Trades - You have the following 2 one-shot abilities at your disposal:
1xExecutioner - During the day, if any player has more than half the number of votes necessary to lynch them, you may choose to have them die, ending the Day Phase as if they were actually lynched.
"I"m not restricted by the authority of your so-called Bounty Hunter"s Guild. I answer to a higher law."
1xBullseye Vigilante - You may select another player to kill. Your action will only go through if your target doesn't win with the Town.
"'Everyone dies... but since no one has paid me to kill you... sleep well."
[hidden flavour: Hated while Bossk is alive.]

7)
Player: Khaos_Mage
Character: Bossk
Role: Rival - You are linked to another player. While you are alive he/she takes one less vote to lynch than normal.
"Boba Fett has violated the Creed enough times that he deserves no protection from it."

8)
Player: bossyburrito
Character: Gom Danvik
Role: Merchant - Each night you must target another player and give them an item from the following list:
- Mandalorian Armor
- Holographic Disguise Matrix
- HK Protocol Pacifist Package
- Slab of Carbonite
- Bacta Tank
"What can I get for you?"
[mod note:
1xMandalorian Armor - You may choose to be protected from lethal actions for 1 night.
1xHolographic Disguise Matrix - During the night you may target another player. Your target will appear the opposite affiliation of what they actually are to investigations for the rest of the game.
1xHK Protocol Pacifist Package - During the night you may target another player. If that player is Third-Party, they will be turned into a Vanilla Townie.
1xSlab of Carbonite - During the night you may target another player. That player will be unable to take any action. (Excluding the mafia faction kill.)
1xBacta Tank - During the night you may target another player. That player will be protected from lethal actions, but will also be roleblocked.]

9)
Player: AnDoctuir/ESocial/Smith
Character: Gault Rennow
Role: Bodyguard - Each night you may select another player. All lethal actions targeting that player will be redirected to you, instead.
"...she's just trying to make sure you shoot me first if things go south."

10)
Player: TN05
Character: Mirta Gev
Role: Vanilla Townie - You have no night actions.
"I'm just trying to get by in a tough galaxy."

11)
Player: Wylted/XLAV(2)
Character: Todo 360
Role: Miller Sidekick - Each night you may select another player. All non-lethal actions targeting that player will be redirected to you, instead. You will also appear guilty to investigative roles.
"I am a techno-service droid!"
trekie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 5:55:09 AM
Third Party(2)

12)
Player: Maikuru
Character: HK-47
Role: Serial Killer - Each night you may kill another player. You also have the following abilities at your disposal:
1xJanitor - You may target another player. If that player dies, their role and affiliation will be revealed only to you.
"Answer:...When I kill, when I dispatch a target, it is not about wanton slaughter. About body count. It is about finesse, function. Doing more with less. It is art."
1xWatcher - If you waive your kill, you may select another player. You will learn who visited them, but not what action(s) were performed.
"Correction: Assassination is my primary function. I also possess excellent hearing and can bend spoons."
1xBulletproof - You are immune to the first kill that would otherwise resolve on you during the night.
"Clarification: When I said 'death' before 'dishonor', I meant alphabetically."
Affiliation/Win Condition: You win if you are among the last two players left alive.
[Alt. roles:
"Of course I am all right. Why wouldn't I be? I respect all life. All life is connected and should be nurtured."
Role: Mafia Goon - You have no night actions.
"That was a close one. I almost surrendered completely to peace and pacifism. How repugnant."
Affiliation/Win Condition: You win with the Mafia. The Mafia wins when it eliminates all opposing factions (or when nothing can prevent the same).]

13)
Player: RevNge
Character: IG-88A
Role: Third-Party Mirror - All lethal actions used on you during the night will instead target their user.
"I think, therefore I am. I destroy, therefore I endure."
Affiliation/Win Condition: You win if you are among the last two players left alive.
[Alt. roles:
Character: IG-88B
"We shall seek out work as a bounty hunter. This is what we were made for..."
Character: IG-88A
Role: Mafia Goon - You have no night actions.
"We will find this most enjoyable, and no doubt our employers will be immensely pleased with our service and will recommend us highly, should we choose to continue this line of occupation."
Affiliation/Win Condition: You win with the Mafia. The Mafia wins when it eliminates all opposing factions (or when nothing can prevent the same).]

Mafia(3)

14)
Player: Ore_Ele
Character: Talon Karrde
Role: JOAT - During the night, you have the following one-shot abilities at your disposal:
1xFake Claim - You will receive the name of a character who wasn't included in the game but thematically would have been town affiliated.
"Luck is certainly part of it. On the other hand, I've found that what most people call luck is often little more than raw talent combined with the ability to make the most of opportunities."
1xRecruit - You may target another player. If that player is Third-Party, they will be turned into a Mafia Goon, and will join the Mafia PM.
"The same way I talked Pellaeon into it, actually. I simply pointed out that the key to a stable and calm peace is both sides knowing the other isn't plotting some kind of move against them."
1xInformant - You may select another player. If that player receives information as a result of their role, or game-related messages from the mod, you will receive a copy of those messages.
"...your ability and results have been quite impressive."
1xSeraph Knight - You may target another player. For the rest of the game, while you live, your target cannot be killed at night.
"When will you learn to trust my instincts? When have I ever gotten you killed?"
Affiliation/Win Condition: You win with the Mafia. The Mafia wins when it eliminates all opposing factions (or when nothing can prevent the same).
[Fake claim: Jango Fett]

15)
Player: EndarkenedRationalist
Character: Mara Jade
Role: Mafia Mason - Each night you may recruit another player into a Mason. You and all Masons share a PM. You can't recruit Third-Parties. If you attemp to do so, your action will fail.
"It's always nice to meet new people and make new enemies."
Affiliation/Win Condition: You win with the Mafia. The Mafia wins when it eliminates all opposing factions (or when nothing can prevent the same).

16)
Player: mortsdor
Character: N"dru Suhlak
Role: Roleblocker - Each night you may choose another player. That player will be unable to take any action.
"Once a bounty hunter, always a bounty hunter. That"s his job. And my job is to mess things up for him, and for every other bounty hunter."

Additional information for the Mafia:
- The theme is bounty hunters (town) vs
trekie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 5:55:59 AM
Night Actions:

NP1
Wylted waives.
HPG investigates Maikuru. ("guilty")
Esocial bodyguards RevNge.
Bossy gives the Mandalorian Armor to Danielle.
Danielle waives.
1harder tracks HPG. ("no result" due to the one phase delay.)
Maikuru kills and janitors Endark.
Ore_Ele kills Maikuru and gets the fake claim. (kill fails, "Jango Fett")
Mortsdor roleblocks Danielle.
Endark recruits Bossy. (dies, recruit fails)
Ford_prefect gets setup info. ("There were 3 mafia at the start of the game.")

NP2
Wylted redirects all non-lethal actions from Danielle to himself.
HPG investigates F-16. ("innocent")
Esocial bodyguards bossy.
Bossy gives the HK Protocol Package to Maikuru.
Danielle uses her bulletproof and shoots F-16. (fails)
1harder tracks Danielle. ("HPG visited Maikuru")
Maikuru waives.
Ford_prefect gets setup info. ("There was more than one Third-Party at the start of the game.")
Mortsdor kills F-16 and roleblocks Maikuru.
Ore_Ele uses informant on Maikuru.

NP3
XLAV(2) waives.
HPG investigates Maikuru. ("guilty")
Esocial bodyguards bossy.
Bossy gives the Bacta Tank to Maikuru.
1harder tracks Maikuru. ("XLAV(2) visited Danielle", dies)
Maikuru kills Ore_Ele and converts himself to Town.
Ford_prefect gets setup info. ("There are hidden flavours in the game.")
Ore_Ele kills 1harder and recruits Maikuru. (dies, recruit fails)
trekie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 6:04:32 AM
Balancing
While Mafia didn't exactly turn in a stellar performance, I don't think any game can be called balanced if Mafia can get so fcked after one NP. So yeah, even though I put plenty of mislynch targets, minor characters, and false confirmations into the game, I probably should have done some things differently.

In the actual game however, the biggest issue ended up being Maikuru utterly fcking Mafia over. I clearly didn't anticipate that. In addition to his kill of Endark, getting outed as TP on DP2 really changed the dynamics of the game. After he got the Pacifist Package from Bossy he truly had no reason to not play pro-town anymore.

Theme explanation
The theme was pretty straightforward; Bounty Hunters (Town) vs Smugglers (Mafia) vs Droids (TP)

While the Mafia wasn't provided with fake claims they were told that the Town consisted of bounty hunters. They also had an 1xability that could get them a safe character claim after one NP. I chose Jango Fett because he was a relatively well-known character with easily accessable quotes that could fit various fake role claims. Endark also pretty quickly realized Cradossk, head of the Bounty Hunter's Guild would be a natural fit as a fake character claim to go with his Mason role. (which was what I intended when designing the game.) Ideally only one mafioso would have had to really think about a fake character claim.

The Miller was a droid (associated with a bounty hunter) because the only investigative role in the game was a TP Cop who would only get guilties on other droids.

Neither TP was provided with any theme information, however the Serial Killer had an 1xjanitor ability which could get him a fake claim after NP1, had he killed Town. If pressed early, the second TP could have partially claimed his real character and got away with it since IG-88 was actually a bounty hunter. Tbh, Rev really botched his character claim.

Mode notes on some role mechanics
1) Rival - The purpose of this role was 3-fold:
- Possible mislynch target.
- Throwing suspicion on Boba Fett. (who was otherwise the most solid character claim in the game.)
- Slight chance of Fett (a PR) accidentaly dying due to the unknown hated status early game.

2) Mafia Mason - A solid, comfirmable, town associated role which also serves as a weak TP Cop to find the possibe recruit. Also a great way to mess with Town and get role/night action info out of them discreetly. That NP1 death was a real shame. They lost their only town-read mafioso too.

3) TP Mirror - This was the worst. I should have never put this role the way it worked into the game. Both the win-con and role was problemtic. I have no idea what I was thinking.

4) TP converts - Both Mafia and Town had the ability to try and convert one of the TPs into their respective faction. Mafia was aware of this ability from the start and they could directly use it, while Town had the ability hidden amongst Bossy's items, thus making it more unlikely to be actually used. (At least, that's what I thought!)

5) The Cult that never was - I understood Town's initial suspicions after XLAV's flip, that was reasonable. I also expected that Mafia would try to use this to their advantage. However, I did not expect that Mort would get just as paranoid about Cult as Town did. They had an 1xTP Recruit ability from the start. That's just not compatible with Cult. I couldn't let mafia recruit cultists into mafia for the same reason cult can never recruit mafia. That's just preposterous from a setup perspective. For similiar reasons, Town should have reached this same conclusion on DP3 when Maikuru revealed what the Pacifist Package did. Granted, you had to assume that Maikuru wasn't full of sh!t, but still.

I'm not doing MVPs this time, mafia was pretty much streamrolled by a team effort, especially on DP3 when everybody just sort of came together and scum started claiming scum. (It's really surreal to me that out of the 5 scum in the game only Endark has never claimed to be some kind of scum. Maybe he would have too if he lived longer, truly, who knows... :) ) I have some individual notes though:

ford_prefect - He was really active and one of the most attentaive readers in the game. His theme stuff was really spot on too.
Maikuru - I'm starting to genuinely believe that he can turn sh!t into gold. First, he kills mafia accidentally --> no free character claim for him. Then even though he's town-read by most players he still gets copped as TP --> becomes a primary lynch candidate for DP2, BSs his win-con but true-claims his character. This allows Bossy to make the TP conversion connection with the Pacifist Package, and for some reason makes Mafia think bossy could be Cult Recruiter -- > so they use the 1xInformant instead of the 1xRecruit. Then comes NP3 when mafia is finally ready to recruit him to a pretty much damned team --> he kills the recruiter so the action doesn't go through. I applaud both his skill and luck.
Rev - I got a kick out of counting how many Freudian slips he made during the DPs that went unnoticed. (He was practically shouting he was TP from the start for God's sake.) But he had an unthankful role/win-con which I admit should have been drasticly different.
Khaos - I don't think he acted as anti-town as everyone made him out to be. Based on his role, he had reason to think that Fett coud be scum. Claiming the character was one way to test that theory, not necessarily the best, but I see the merit in it.
Danielle - Her lack of attention and absolute commitment to not read anything properly was both appalling and comical. Pegged Ore_Ele as scum behaviorally super early though.
F-16 - Universally town-read, solid reads and a plan of action in very few but concise posts on DP1, what every townie should aim to be. I thought not testing the hated claims by puting his vote on them at what normally would be L-2 was a missed opportunity though.
XLAV - I think XLAV(1) & XLAV(2) balanced each other out in terms of quality of play.
Ore_Ele - He was legitimately busy when the game started so the quality of his early posts have suffered from that. I think he would have done much better if he had enough time.
Endark - Only mafia to be town read. Taken from us too early. Bad Maikuru. Bad. :(
Mort - I'm not sure why but he was jittery and panicky the whole game. Asking to be bussed on DP1 when so many other lynch candidates floated around was really not the optimal strategy for a 3-player scum team. DP3 was the biggest WTF though. I have no words for that.

Well, while I'm sure the mafia had a pretty miserable time, I hope the game wasn't a complete wash for everybody. I certainly learned that sometimes less is more regarding game complexity. Thank you all for playing!
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 6:05:52 AM
My reads were perfect bar on Endark for his retardedly and super delusionally squaring up to me, which I corrected, and on Danielle, which wasn't serious anyway. Just saying, lol. I even called bossy as doc. :)

I cannot seem to get myself into the swing of reading for third party, though.
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 6:09:02 AM
At 1/8/2015 6:04:32 AM, trekie wrote:

XLAV - I think XLAV(1) & XLAV(2) balanced each other out in terms of quality of play.
What does this mean?
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 6:12:34 AM
GG everyone. XLAV really was Town? O.o

It's bad enough that I got the worst possible role. What really sucks is that the worst possible role was given to the worst player of the lot. T^T

And I just realized I inadvertently fake claimed a character that could be Mafia (scum). Meh, typical of me. ;D

Mafia fvcked up pretty badly, though.
trekie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 6:13:28 AM
At 1/8/2015 6:09:02 AM, XLAV wrote:
What does this mean?
It means you should have put more effort in your first spot. That mislynch was completely evitabile.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 6:14:08 AM

What does this mean?

It means one of them was good and the other sucked utter balls.
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 6:15:04 AM
At 1/8/2015 6:13:28 AM, trekie wrote:
What does this mean?
It means you should have put more effort in your first spot. That mislynch was completely evitabile.

I actually character claimed, lol. Its just that some people missed it or they thought it was some spanish phrase.
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 6:16:02 AM
At 1/8/2015 6:14:08 AM, RevNge wrote:

What does this mean?

It means one of them was good and the other sucked utter balls.

The one that sucked balls wasn't my fault. I character claimed and it was on top of the page. Y'all just missed it.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 6:16:08 AM
At 1/8/2015 6:15:04 AM, XLAV wrote:
At 1/8/2015 6:13:28 AM, trekie wrote:
What does this mean?

I actually character claimed, lol. Its just that some people missed it or they thought it was some spanish phrase.

Tbh, when I first saw Sintas Vel, I thought you were saying something to VelCrow. LOL
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 6:18:58 AM
At 1/8/2015 6:05:52 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
My reads were perfect bar on Endark for his retardedly and super delusionally squaring up to me, which I corrected, and on Danielle, which wasn't serious anyway. Just saying, lol. I even called bossy as doc. :)

I wasn't doc...

That was a very fun game, Trekie. Maikuru basically sealed the deal for a town win. Mort claiming mafia was kind of amusing, as well.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 6:19:23 AM
gg

Excellent theme. I certainly did not expect an EU game with no Jedi or Sith, but it worked very well. 5 scum + convert is reasonable, would have been nice to see mafia play a bit better though.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 6:20:43 AM
At 1/8/2015 6:18:58 AM, bossyburrito wrote:

I wasn't doc...

You were basically doc/self-doc. There wasn't anybody else with any role resembling doc (besides me).

That was a very fun game, Trekie. Maikuru basically sealed the deal for a town win. Mort claiming mafia was kind of amusing, as well.
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 6:22:02 AM
Also, I really liked the mafia mason role. Shame it didn't do anything... Back in my Star Wars game the town mason died Day 1 as well.
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 6:25:07 AM
Props to Maikuru for killing Endark. Endark is one of the few people that I find difficult to read.

Anyways,
Good job everyone!
GG
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 6:27:18 AM
At 1/8/2015 6:25:07 AM, XLAV wrote:
Props to Maikuru for killing Endark. Endark is one of the few people that I find difficult to read.

Anyways,
Good job everyone!
GG

Probably the only reason why I didn't decide to be a d*ck, lol.
trekie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 6:28:02 AM
At 1/8/2015 6:25:07 AM, XLAV wrote:
Maikuru choose to kill Endark for complex reasons, but scum-reading him was not one of them. It was either ford or Endark that night. Certainly would have been a different game had he gone with ford.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 6:32:38 AM
At 1/8/2015 6:20:43 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:

I wasn't doc...

You were basically doc/self-doc. There wasn't anybody else with any role resembling doc (besides me).
Not really, considering I had to give out items to people, instead of having those abilities myself.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 6:35:44 AM
At 1/8/2015 6:32:38 AM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 1/8/2015 6:20:43 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:

I wasn't doc...

Not really, considering I had to give out items to people, instead of having those abilities myself.

Oh, I guess it was just a coincidence my read hit so close to home then, same as my leaving the game having scum-read 3 mafia, and town-read virtually the entire town.
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 6:39:29 AM
At 1/8/2015 6:12:34 AM, RevNge wrote:
GG everyone. XLAV really was Town? O.o

It's bad enough that I got the worst possible role. What really sucks is that the worst possible role was given to the worst player of the lot. T^T
You could still survive if bossy gave the pacifist item to someone and you could have volunteered as tribute. Though if mafia also found out you were scum, they might also use the recruit role on you. So instead of winning as a single TP, you could have a higher chance of winning with either town or mafia.

Which reminds me,
Trekie, if both town and mafia recruited the same TP, what would happen?
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 6:40:07 AM
At 1/8/2015 6:35:44 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:

Oh, I guess it was just a coincidence my read hit so close to home then, same as my leaving the game having scum-read 3 mafia, and town-read virtually the entire town.
And what post was this?
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 6:43:08 AM
At 1/8/2015 6:40:07 AM, XLAV wrote:
At 1/8/2015 6:35:44 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:

And what post was this?

The reads were spread over the entire DP - final actual reads came to exactly the above. (+Danielle as mafia, but she pretty much just wanted to be called mafia. +Rev as scummy, but that there was something odd about him. Really, I pretty much called the entire game, and some intricacies of it, D1.)
trekie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 7:00:24 AM
At 1/8/2015 6:39:29 AM, XLAV wrote:
Which reminds me,
Trekie, if both town and mafia recruited the same TP, what would happen?
If there were any simultaneous but conflicting NAs I'd have resolved them: Mafia 1st > TP 2nd > Town 3rd. So basically, mafia would have gotten the recruit in that case. If Maikuru didn't shoot Ore on NP3 he would have gotten goonified.