SURPRISE MAFIA: Day Phase One

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 10:52:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Welcome to Surprise Mafia!

I hope everyone enjoys the theme I sprung on them and that they enjoy the game :)

RULES

1. You must bold votes. You must unvote prior to re-voting. You can vote until I close the DP, but once a lynch is effected, no post hoc vote changes.
2. Don't use PM structure, wincons, or things of that ilk as points of analysis. To me, that's just lazy.
3. No C/Ping anything directly from PMs. No communicating via non-mod-initiated methods.
4. Don't troll or be a jerk--observe good conduct.
5. You must play to your wincon; play to win.
6. Be active. Not posting in a DP will get you replaced. I need to see 5 substantive posts per DP at a minimum.
7. If you are asking me a question in the DP, please bold it.
8. The first 3 DPs will last 72 hours. All subsequent DPs will last 48 hours. The first 2 NPs will last 48 hours. All subsequent NPs will last 24 hours.

OTHER

I am not saying if there is or is not a TP in this game. All PMs were sent within the 4 hours prior to my posting this DP. Flavors are possible, including hidden/secret flavors. If you are flavored, your flavor will be from this list of 6:

- Odd/Even (for DPs or NPs)
- X-shot (1-4 shot ranges)
- Weak (dies if it targets scum)
- Brutal (roleblocks its target)
- Naive (the role actually does nothing)
- Insane (cops or cop-like roles receive the opposite of the truth)

Also, I am willing to grant extensions due to inactivity. I am not going to grant an extension just because you haven't reached a consensus. No DP will be extended more than 12 hours. I would like this to run promptly.

LIVING PLAYERS

Raisor
TUF
Ford
Solon
XLAV
Medic
Rev
Kiri
Yama
Dalt
Blackvoid
Bossyburrito
Daytonanerd
HPG
Zaradi
Endark
Danielle
Valkrin
Khaos
Wylted
Beginner

With 21 players alive, it takes 11 votes to lynch.
The DP ends at 11:00pm, DDO time, 2/15/12.

Good luck!
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 10:59:15 PM
Soft claim - indecisive no more.

My character suggests the theme is real-life debate, but Bsh never explicitly says this in my pm or in the OP. Can anyone else confirm?
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 10:59:32 PM
With 21 players in the game, PLEASE GOD LET'S KEEP DAY PHASE 1 TIGHT. As in please try to make your posts efficient.

To start there are 2 players who jump out to me as n00bs in a sea of vets: Kiri and Valkrin (though there are a bunch of people I haven't played with in awhile). According to their profiles Kiri is a 33 y/o purple circle with hardly any DDO activity, and Valkrin is 15 but maybe not so new as I noticed he is playing in another mafia game. Maybe you guys know how to read them - I don't. I'll vtl Kiri but I'm open to Valkrin if you guys know something about him (or another player) that I don't.
President of DDO
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 11:00:12 PM
WHY ARE THERE SO MANY PLAYERS IN HERE

Reminds me of the standard 25-player match setups from Warped. :3

Anyway, VTL Kiri
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 11:01:54 PM
At 2/12/2015 10:59:15 PM, BlackVoid wrote:

My character suggests the theme is real-life debate, but Bsh never explicitly says this in my pm or in the OP. Can anyone else confirm?

My character is a part of a debate structure as well. Maybe Mafia could be the Neg?
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 11:02:02 PM

Yeah I'm thinking it's either debate or something to do with court/law.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 11:03:55 PM
Alright I guess it's debate. I thought it had something to do with arguments but that's all I'll say for now...

@ Rev and BV are you gonna vote or nah? People might as well vote for someone if they check in. We have nothing to talk about yet...
President of DDO
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 11:04:30 PM
VOTE COUNT

Kiri (2/11) - Danielle, Rev
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 11:12:19 PM
My character leads me to believe that this game has got something to do with some kind of case and being convincing, which I think could apply to a debate theme.

Then again, I don't know $hit about debate, so there's that.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 11:15:04 PM
@Anyone, how good and how active are the following players:

Ford
Solon
Xlav
Rev
Yama
Dalt
Valkrin
Beginner

Never played with them, and I want to know what standard of play to expect/hold them to.
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 11:20:27 PM
At 2/12/2015 11:15:04 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
@Anyone, how good and how active are the following players:

Ford
Average skill and activity
Solon
Xlav
below average skill, low activity
Rev
Low skill, inconsistent activity
Yama
Low skill, high activity
Dalt
Valkrin
No idea
Beginner

Never played with them, and I want to know what standard of play to expect/hold them to.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 11:34:41 PM

Makes sense with my character.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Daltonian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 11:35:03 PM
It's after midnight where I am, so I'm keeping this short, and going to bed after posting it. I've been away from mafia for ~3 months so preemptive warning, I'm somewhere between a tad rusty and total sh!t.

I don't think anything else should be said pertaining to the theme until our first character claim is collected; and I also disagree with the logic of randomly picking a noob to claim first, especially when the theme is a surprise one. Who claims first should be strategically chosen - that aside from the moral stigma associated with always picking on/intimidating the noobs.. (though Yama and Rev are hardly noobs anymore)

Even if scum have a good indication of the theme anyways, it's not pro-town to reveal anything (else) about it yet.

@Mod - Will you reveal whether or not the mafia receive fake claims?
F _ C K
All I need is "u", baby
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 11:36:04 PM
There's enough pressure on Kiri so I'll start up the wagon on Valkrin and you guys can hop over after Kiri claims.

VTL Valkrin

I do support Kiri claiming though.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 11:37:00 PM
At 2/12/2015 11:35:03 PM, Daltonian wrote:

Not saying a word on that.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 11:38:27 PM
VOTE COUNT

Kiri (2/11) - Danielle, Rev, BV, Endark
Val (1/11) - Zaradi
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 11:40:21 PM
At 2/12/2015 11:38:27 PM, bsh1 wrote:
VOTE COUNT

Val (1/11) - Zaradi

Is this actually correct?
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 11:41:52 PM
It's after midnight where I am, so I'm keeping this short, and going to bed after posting it. I've been away from mafia for ~3 months so preemptive warning, I'm somewhere between a tad rusty and total sh!t.

I don't think anything else should be said pertaining to the theme until our first character claim is collected; and I also disagree with the logic of randomly picking a noob to claim first, especially when the theme is a surprise one. Who claims first should be strategically chosen - that aside from the moral stigma associated with always picking on/intimidating the noobs.. (though Yama and Rev are hardly noobs anymore)

Even if scum have a good indication of the theme anyways, it's not pro-town to reveal anything (else) about it yet.

The noob rule is strategic. We don't know how they play, so we rely more on role analysis, and we prefer to get that role info earlier in the game when its hardest to fake claim. So its not really 'picking" on them.

But if you have a better idea of how to do it or who to pressure right now, I'm open.

However, I'm not entirely opposed to getting some claims this phase and then random lynching a known inactive or lesser player for DP1.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 11:43:21 PM
At 2/12/2015 11:40:21 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 2/12/2015 11:38:27 PM, bsh1 wrote:
VOTE COUNT

Val (1/11) - Zaradi

Is this actually correct?

*rolls eyes* Of course it's correct. I can obviously count.

(Jk, lol...no, it's 4 out of 11.)
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 11:54:50 PM
At 2/12/2015 11:41:52 PM, BlackVoid wrote:

However, I'm not entirely opposed to getting some claims this phase and then random lynching a known inactive or lesser player for DP1.

Not that I inherently disagree, but I'm curious as to your logic.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 11:56:22 PM
VOTE COUNT

Kiri (4/11) - Danielle, Rev, BV, Endark
Val (1/11) - Zaradi
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 11:58:30 PM
I further lend support to the notion that this game's theme has something to do with formal debates/arguments.

Kiri's a good place to start.
VTL Kiri

Kiri, we are lynching you. It would be a good idea for you to justify yourself in some way, shape or form.
Senpai has noticed you.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2015 12:01:08 AM
At 2/12/2015 11:41:52 PM, BlackVoid wrote:

The noob rule is strategic. We don't know how they play, so we rely more on role analysis, and we prefer to get that role info earlier in the game when its hardest to fake claim. So its not really 'picking" on them.

Me and budda actually debated this: http://www.debate.org...

I am still of the opinion that noob targeting can be harmful. Mostly because I feel like their inexperience, will cause many experienced players to see a slip as something more than what it really is (inexperience), and eventually will just lynch the noob for it. But with the right pool of mature players, it might be a non issue.

But if you have a better idea of how to do it or who to pressure right now, I'm open.

"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2015 12:05:52 AM
My character I guess could be applied to debating, but that wasn't my initial thought process upon reading my PM.

Also the link between my role and character seems a bit of a stretch, just putting this out there in advance.

A claimslist will be kept in my signature, as per usual.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2015 12:06:44 AM
At 2/12/2015 11:58:30 PM, Beginner wrote:
I further lend support to the notion that this game's theme has something to do with formal debates/arguments.

VTL Kiri

Kiri, we are lynching you. It would be a good idea for you to justify yourself in some way, shape or form.

"Justify" herself from what?
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2015 12:07:06 AM

VTL Kiri

From being a noob? lol
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2015 12:09:11 AM
At 2/13/2015 12:01:08 AM, TUF wrote:
I am still of the opinion that noob targeting can be harmful. Mostly because I feel like their inexperience, will cause many experienced players to see a slip as something more than what it really is (inexperience), and eventually will just lynch the noob for it. But with the right pool of mature players, it might be a non issue.

Well, I've personally witnessed noobs who play scummily, so I'll work to prevent their lynch from happening so long as they're not being too ridiculous. I think the rest of the vets will feel the same way.

@Zaradi, mostly because our probability of strategically lynching successfully on DP1 is only slightly higher than random, so we might as well weigh the impacts and say that an inactive dead townie isn't as bad as an active dead townie. Of course, they could also be scum.

I'm not 100% on this though. I'm partly saying this just to start a general conversation on how we want to play this DP.
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2015 12:09:18 AM
At 2/13/2015 12:07:06 AM, TUF wrote:

VTL Kiri

From being a noob? lol

From anything. It is up to Kiri to respond to this pressure. Generally a claim, but whatever happens, Kiri should to speak for herself.
Senpai has noticed you.