Total Posts:28|Showing Posts:1-28
Jump to topic:

Beginners' Mafia 36.1: ENDGAME

bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 3:02:18 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Mafia wins!!

MAFIA

Shadow - You are the ROLE COP. Each night you may select a player and learn their role.

Skep - You are the MIMIC. Once per game, you may select another player and permanently copy their role.

Val - You are the LOOKOUT. Each night you may select another player. You will learn who, if anyone, visited them during the night.

TOWN

bhu - You are the ROLE COP. Each night you may select a target and learn their role but not there affiliation. You win with the town.

316 - You are the SUPER SAINT. If lynched, you will kill the one who hammers you. You win with the town.

Molon - You are the TRACKER. Each night you may select a player. You will learn who they visited in the night. You win with the town.

Saph - You are the ORACLE. When you die, you may choose to reveal the affiliation of any player. You win with the town.

Ash - You are VANILLA. You have no role. You win with the town.

Harder - You are the HUNTER. If lynched, you can select a target to take with you to the grave. You win with the town.

Yama - You are the BOMB. If NK'd, you will kill your killer. You win with the town.

NIGHT ACTIONS

Molon - Trk. Val
Shadow - Rlcp. Harder
Val - Wtc. Molon
Skep - Mimic Saph
Val - NK Molon
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Valkrin
Posts: 2,046
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 3:10:56 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
We made the right call getting Molon. Could've imagined how it turned out had we not targeted him.

Again, good game guys.
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." - Vaarka
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 3:12:06 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
The next game will be up sometime later tonight, though I am sending out role PMs now.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Valkrin
Posts: 2,046
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 3:41:38 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/16/2015 3:39:41 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
How many consecutive mafia wins is that now in the beginner games?

Yes.
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." - Vaarka
ashkan
Posts: 243
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 4:24:34 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I forget to check in last night and this morning, then I come back from school to find out I'm lynched. yay.
Valkrin
Posts: 2,046
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 4:29:16 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/16/2015 4:24:34 PM, ashkan wrote:
I forget to check in last night and this morning, then I come back from school to find out I'm lynched. yay.

Sorry, you were the best suspect. Lol
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." - Vaarka
Sapphique
Posts: 4,110
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 4:39:11 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Grr, I had the suspicion that maybe val and shadow were teaming up. Val never claimed...sigh at least I wasn't the one to hammer. Things would have been a lot different if we had two more decent town players instead of bhu/316.
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch
Valkrin
Posts: 2,046
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 4:39:56 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/16/2015 4:39:11 PM, Sapphique wrote:
Grr, I had the suspicion that maybe val and shadow were teaming up. Val never claimed...sigh at least I wasn't the one to hammer. Things would have been a lot different if we had two more decent town players instead of bhu/316.

True. I feel bad for town that they lost like that.
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." - Vaarka
Sapphique
Posts: 4,110
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 5:56:08 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Question for skep: when you mimicked me, did you become town? Or was it only the role that was copied?
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 5:57:45 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/16/2015 5:56:08 PM, Sapphique wrote:
Question for skep: when you mimicked me, did you become town? Or was it only the role that was copied?

Only the role.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Sapphique
Posts: 4,110
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 6:00:10 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Gosh. Skep had me fooled XD I never once thought he was scum. Hopefully won't make that mistake again
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 6:53:15 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/16/2015 6:00:10 PM, Sapphique wrote:
Gosh. Skep had me fooled XD I never once thought he was scum. Hopefully won't make that mistake again

Haha, don't feel bad. I told everyone in the mafia PM not to go after you because you had a good head on your shoulders. Town was hamstrung by the double modkill, and you guys didn't really have a fighting chance. Mostly I slipped under the radar in this game by giving advice that was actually pro town, and relying on misdirection to subtly drive lynches, since we only needed a few mislynches to win.

I did have two slight scum slips which I did purposely, both to set up a potential bus if I was investigated, and for learning purposes at this point.

The first was this post DP1: 'Lynching one of you two will actually somewhat confirm the other, so I'm thinking more along those lines.'

How do I know that it will confirm them? Because I know that they weren't scum. This was probably my biggest 'slip' during the game.

The second was this post DP2: 'If we had mislynched last DP, this game would be over. Now we can scum hunt with a whole NP worth of results.'

While not 100% a scum tell, this strongly implies inside knowledge, as I am using a solid premise of how many scum players their are to calculate endgame conditions. This is only information which scum is privy to, and is a bit suspicious.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 6:55:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/16/2015 4:39:56 PM, Valkrin wrote:
At 3/16/2015 4:39:11 PM, Sapphique wrote:
Grr, I had the suspicion that maybe val and shadow were teaming up. Val never claimed...sigh at least I wasn't the one to hammer. Things would have been a lot different if we had two more decent town players instead of bhu/316.

True. I feel bad for town that they lost like that.

The game had ended by the time that I got home from work, but you handled that lynch very well. Kudos to you, I may have believed you if I were town due to the way that you phrased your post and feigned ignorance.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 6:57:45 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/16/2015 5:56:08 PM, Sapphique wrote:
Question for skep: when you mimicked me, did you become town? Or was it only the role that was copied?

Haha, I suspected that you had a power role, but it was the most anti-scum power role ever, lol. You know what they say. When life hands you lemons, make lemonade (and add vodka). I decided to use it to build cred and throw some shade at ash.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Sapphique
Posts: 4,110
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 7:01:17 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/16/2015 6:57:45 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 3/16/2015 5:56:08 PM, Sapphique wrote:
Question for skep: when you mimicked me, did you become town? Or was it only the role that was copied?

Haha, I suspected that you had a power role, but it was the most anti-scum power role ever, lol. You know what they say. When life hands you lemons, make lemonade (and add vodka). I decided to use it to build cred and throw some shade at ash.

Mmph. The fact that you were a mimic should've made me a little suspicious. I forgot that there's the possibility of a town mimic or a mafia mimic lol. So oracle is a power role? What else counts as a power role?
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 7:03:15 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/16/2015 7:01:17 PM, Sapphique wrote:
At 3/16/2015 6:57:45 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 3/16/2015 5:56:08 PM, Sapphique wrote:
Question for skep: when you mimicked me, did you become town? Or was it only the role that was copied?

Haha, I suspected that you had a power role, but it was the most anti-scum power role ever, lol. You know what they say. When life hands you lemons, make lemonade (and add vodka). I decided to use it to build cred and throw some shade at ash.

Mmph. The fact that you were a mimic should've made me a little suspicious. I forgot that there's the possibility of a town mimic or a mafia mimic lol. So oracle is a power role? What else counts as a power role?

Cop, doctor, janitor, godfather, commuter. It's relative to balance, sometimes. Oracle is powerful because your mislynch has immense utility: you get mod confirmation of affiliation. Mod confirmation is the gold standard in mafia.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Sapphique
Posts: 4,110
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 7:08:04 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/16/2015 6:53:15 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 3/16/2015 6:00:10 PM, Sapphique wrote:
Gosh. Skep had me fooled XD I never once thought he was scum. Hopefully won't make that mistake again

Haha, don't feel bad. I told everyone in the mafia PM not to go after you because you had a good head on your shoulders. Town was hamstrung by the double modkill, and you guys didn't really have a fighting chance. Mostly I slipped under the radar in this game by giving advice that was actually pro town, and relying on misdirection to subtly drive lynches, since we only needed a few mislynches to win.

Can you give some examples of that misdirection, please?

I did have two slight scum slips which I did purposely, both to set up a potential bus if I was investigated, and for learning purposes at this point.

The first was this post DP1: 'Lynching one of you two will actually somewhat confirm the other, so I'm thinking more along those lines.'

How do I know that it will confirm them? Because I know that they weren't scum. This was probably my biggest 'slip' during the game.

I actually thought your reasoning for it (bsh1 wouldn't put them in opposing factions) made sense. I myself never truly suspected them for mafia, though, mainly b/c I didn't think they were all that subtle lol

The second was this post DP2: 'If we had mislynched last DP, this game would be over. Now we can scum hunt with a whole NP worth of results.'

While not 100% a scum tell, this strongly implies inside knowledge, as I am using a solid premise of how many scum players their are to calculate endgame conditions. This is only information which scum is privy to, and is a bit suspicious.

But is it true that <33% players are mafia? If we were at MyLo it's true that town would've lost with a mislynch...maybe I'm still missing something?
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch
Sapphique
Posts: 4,110
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 7:10:14 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/16/2015 7:03:15 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 3/16/2015 7:01:17 PM, Sapphique wrote:
At 3/16/2015 6:57:45 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 3/16/2015 5:56:08 PM, Sapphique wrote:
Question for skep: when you mimicked me, did you become town? Or was it only the role that was copied?

Haha, I suspected that you had a power role, but it was the most anti-scum power role ever, lol. You know what they say. When life hands you lemons, make lemonade (and add vodka). I decided to use it to build cred and throw some shade at ash.

Mmph. The fact that you were a mimic should've made me a little suspicious. I forgot that there's the possibility of a town mimic or a mafia mimic lol. So oracle is a power role? What else counts as a power role?

Cop, doctor, janitor, godfather, commuter. It's relative to balance, sometimes. Oracle is powerful because your mislynch has immense utility: you get mod confirmation of affiliation. Mod confirmation is the gold standard in mafia.

What's commuter and janitor?
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 7:17:05 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/16/2015 7:10:14 PM, Sapphique wrote:
At 3/16/2015 7:03:15 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 3/16/2015 7:01:17 PM, Sapphique wrote:
At 3/16/2015 6:57:45 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 3/16/2015 5:56:08 PM, Sapphique wrote:
Question for skep: when you mimicked me, did you become town? Or was it only the role that was copied?

Haha, I suspected that you had a power role, but it was the most anti-scum power role ever, lol. You know what they say. When life hands you lemons, make lemonade (and add vodka). I decided to use it to build cred and throw some shade at ash.

Mmph. The fact that you were a mimic should've made me a little suspicious. I forgot that there's the possibility of a town mimic or a mafia mimic lol. So oracle is a power role? What else counts as a power role?

Cop, doctor, janitor, godfather, commuter. It's relative to balance, sometimes. Oracle is powerful because your mislynch has immense utility: you get mod confirmation of affiliation. Mod confirmation is the gold standard in mafia.

What's commuter and janitor?

Commuters cannot be targeted by night actions. All results return with ineffective, and all kills fail because they cannot be targetted. They can't use night actions, but also are essentially immortal unless lynched.

Janitor is a mafia role which, when it performs the NK, received the player's affiliation and role information. This information is then not revealed to the town the next DP, so they get no confirmation of the NK's role or affiliation. They basically don't know anything about the player who died, aside from the name.

Some other ones are governors, who can override a lynch, vote stealers, who steal your vote, making theirs count for two, dayvigs, who can kill a player during the DP, and revivers, who can bring a town player back to live. Mason recruiter is also a huge power role; they recruit town players into a PM, so that the town players can talk to each other outside of the game.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 7:22:31 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/16/2015 7:08:04 PM, Sapphique wrote:
At 3/16/2015 6:53:15 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 3/16/2015 6:00:10 PM, Sapphique wrote:
Gosh. Skep had me fooled XD I never once thought he was scum. Hopefully won't make that mistake again

Haha, don't feel bad. I told everyone in the mafia PM not to go after you because you had a good head on your shoulders. Town was hamstrung by the double modkill, and you guys didn't really have a fighting chance. Mostly I slipped under the radar in this game by giving advice that was actually pro town, and relying on misdirection to subtly drive lynches, since we only needed a few mislynches to win.

Can you give some examples of that misdirection, please?

I did have two slight scum slips which I did purposely, both to set up a potential bus if I was investigated, and for learning purposes at this point.

The first was this post DP1: 'Lynching one of you two will actually somewhat confirm the other, so I'm thinking more along those lines.'

How do I know that it will confirm them? Because I know that they weren't scum. This was probably my biggest 'slip' during the game.

I actually thought your reasoning for it (bsh1 wouldn't put them in opposing factions) made sense. I myself never truly suspected them for mafia, though, mainly b/c I didn't think they were all that subtle lol

It did, it was perfectly good reasoning which both gave town an advantage and served scum's agenda. The slip was the fact that I flat out said that it would confirm them, which implied that I knew that they were town. Townies usually have genuine doubt and confusion in their analysis which is hard to fake as scum. That's why I was impressed when Valkrin faked it with ash.

Also, it's in scum's best interest to bring bad players to LyLo/MyLo, because they're easier to manipulate and less likely to calmly think things through. By confirming someone eratic like bhu I could ensure that he wouldn't be lynched and thus make sure that he ends up in the endgame. A rule that I like to play by, as scum, is to lynch mediocre players, NK great players (this game was an exception; I wanted to kill whomever had the less chance of being protected/watched, to seal this game in two DPs), and let the bad players live on to the end of the game.

The second was this post DP2: 'If we had mislynched last DP, this game would be over. Now we can scum hunt with a whole NP worth of results.'

While not 100% a scum tell, this strongly implies inside knowledge, as I am using a solid premise of how many scum players their are to calculate endgame conditions. This is only information which scum is privy to, and is a bit suspicious.

But is it true that <33% players are mafia? If we were at MyLo it's true that town would've lost with a mislynch...maybe I'm still missing something?

There could have been two mafia. scum-town balance is a big area of debate, some people would say that this game was too balanced in favor of the mafia (beginner series games aren't usually made to be perfectly balanced, so it's sort of a null point when you're playing one.) But that's just one opinion, and it comes down to what sort of game appeals to you. To say, oh it's three, implies that I know that it's three.

While I wouldn't lynch someone if I caught these, I would definitely FoS them over it.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Sapphique
Posts: 4,110
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 8:27:03 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/16/2015 7:22:31 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 3/16/2015 7:08:04 PM, Sapphique wrote:
At 3/16/2015 6:53:15 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 3/16/2015 6:00:10 PM, Sapphique wrote:
Gosh. Skep had me fooled XD I never once thought he was scum. Hopefully won't make that mistake again

Haha, don't feel bad. I told everyone in the mafia PM not to go after you because you had a good head on your shoulders. Town was hamstrung by the double modkill, and you guys didn't really have a fighting chance. Mostly I slipped under the radar in this game by giving advice that was actually pro town, and relying on misdirection to subtly drive lynches, since we only needed a few mislynches to win.

Can you give some examples of that misdirection, please?

I did have two slight scum slips which I did purposely, both to set up a potential bus if I was investigated, and for learning purposes at this point.

The first was this post DP1: 'Lynching one of you two will actually somewhat confirm the other, so I'm thinking more along those lines.'

How do I know that it will confirm them? Because I know that they weren't scum. This was probably my biggest 'slip' during the game.

I actually thought your reasoning for it (bsh1 wouldn't put them in opposing factions) made sense. I myself never truly suspected them for mafia, though, mainly b/c I didn't think they were all that subtle lol

It did, it was perfectly good reasoning which both gave town an advantage and served scum's agenda. The slip was the fact that I flat out said that it would confirm them, which implied that I knew that they were town. Townies usually have genuine doubt and confusion in their analysis which is hard to fake as scum. That's why I was impressed when Valkrin faked it with ash.

Also, it's in scum's best interest to bring bad players to LyLo/MyLo, because they're easier to manipulate and less likely to calmly think things through. By confirming someone eratic like bhu I could ensure that he wouldn't be lynched and thus make sure that he ends up in the endgame. A rule that I like to play by, as scum, is to lynch mediocre players, NK great players (this game was an exception; I wanted to kill whomever had the less chance of being protected/watched, to seal this game in two DPs), and let the bad players live on to the end of the game.

The second was this post DP2: 'If we had mislynched last DP, this game would be over. Now we can scum hunt with a whole NP worth of results.'

While not 100% a scum tell, this strongly implies inside knowledge, as I am using a solid premise of how many scum players their are to calculate endgame conditions. This is only information which scum is privy to, and is a bit suspicious.

But is it true that <33% players are mafia? If we were at MyLo it's true that town would've lost with a mislynch...maybe I'm still missing something?

There could have been two mafia. scum-town balance is a big area of debate, some people would say that this game was too balanced in favor of the mafia (beginner series games aren't usually made to be perfectly balanced, so it's sort of a null point when you're playing one.) But that's just one opinion, and it comes down to what sort of game appeals to you. To say, oh it's three, implies that I know that it's three.

While I wouldn't lynch someone if I caught these, I would definitely FoS them over it.

Hmm, okay. Thanks for explaining! It's a lot to take in though lol. What's flipping, btw? I've seen the term used and I don't know what it means.
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 8:28:17 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/16/2015 8:27:03 PM, Sapphique wrote:
At 3/16/2015 7:22:31 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 3/16/2015 7:08:04 PM, Sapphique wrote:
At 3/16/2015 6:53:15 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 3/16/2015 6:00:10 PM, Sapphique wrote:
Gosh. Skep had me fooled XD I never once thought he was scum. Hopefully won't make that mistake again

Haha, don't feel bad. I told everyone in the mafia PM not to go after you because you had a good head on your shoulders. Town was hamstrung by the double modkill, and you guys didn't really have a fighting chance. Mostly I slipped under the radar in this game by giving advice that was actually pro town, and relying on misdirection to subtly drive lynches, since we only needed a few mislynches to win.

Can you give some examples of that misdirection, please?

I did have two slight scum slips which I did purposely, both to set up a potential bus if I was investigated, and for learning purposes at this point.

The first was this post DP1: 'Lynching one of you two will actually somewhat confirm the other, so I'm thinking more along those lines.'

How do I know that it will confirm them? Because I know that they weren't scum. This was probably my biggest 'slip' during the game.

I actually thought your reasoning for it (bsh1 wouldn't put them in opposing factions) made sense. I myself never truly suspected them for mafia, though, mainly b/c I didn't think they were all that subtle lol

It did, it was perfectly good reasoning which both gave town an advantage and served scum's agenda. The slip was the fact that I flat out said that it would confirm them, which implied that I knew that they were town. Townies usually have genuine doubt and confusion in their analysis which is hard to fake as scum. That's why I was impressed when Valkrin faked it with ash.

Also, it's in scum's best interest to bring bad players to LyLo/MyLo, because they're easier to manipulate and less likely to calmly think things through. By confirming someone eratic like bhu I could ensure that he wouldn't be lynched and thus make sure that he ends up in the endgame. A rule that I like to play by, as scum, is to lynch mediocre players, NK great players (this game was an exception; I wanted to kill whomever had the less chance of being protected/watched, to seal this game in two DPs), and let the bad players live on to the end of the game.

The second was this post DP2: 'If we had mislynched last DP, this game would be over. Now we can scum hunt with a whole NP worth of results.'

While not 100% a scum tell, this strongly implies inside knowledge, as I am using a solid premise of how many scum players their are to calculate endgame conditions. This is only information which scum is privy to, and is a bit suspicious.

But is it true that <33% players are mafia? If we were at MyLo it's true that town would've lost with a mislynch...maybe I'm still missing something?

There could have been two mafia. scum-town balance is a big area of debate, some people would say that this game was too balanced in favor of the mafia (beginner series games aren't usually made to be perfectly balanced, so it's sort of a null point when you're playing one.) But that's just one opinion, and it comes down to what sort of game appeals to you. To say, oh it's three, implies that I know that it's three.

While I wouldn't lynch someone if I caught these, I would definitely FoS them over it.

Hmm, okay. Thanks for explaining! It's a lot to take in though lol. What's flipping, btw? I've seen the term used and I don't know what it means.

It's when a dead player's role and affiliation are revealed by the mod. As mod-confirmed information, it is highly valuable to town, which is why town HATES janitors, lol.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
3168175
Posts: 220
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 8:39:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/16/2015 8:38:29 PM, 3168175 wrote:
Where will the next round be posted

I knew skep was mafia based on actions
Valkrin
Posts: 2,046
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 6:09:48 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/16/2015 8:39:33 PM, 3168175 wrote:
At 3/16/2015 8:38:29 PM, 3168175 wrote:
Where will the next round be posted

I knew skep was mafia based on actions

How/when did you scum read him? If I were a town player he would seem town to me.
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." - Vaarka