Jump to topic:

Pantheon on Park Avenue DP1

Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2015 10:59:29 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
The drawing room was silent, the assembled guests as still and delicate as the lacy walls and Moorish d"cor. All eyes were fixed on the corpse, lying on the rich gold carpets, a foaming red tide spreading from his open mouth. It slowly rolled over the intricate weaves and dyes, inexorably erasing the details which had been placed there a millennia before. Now the walls of Athens, now the Goddess, helmeted and victorious, now the slender branches of the olive, fell into perpetual crimson. A finger twitched, and the lady of the house stepped forward. Her lips moved dumbly beneath a delicate mask of peacock feathers. "It isn"t possible. Is our power so far gone?"
The spell was broken, and an immediate clamor broke out.
"Treason!"
"The cup was poisoned!"
"What poison could touch us?"
One was silent. Man in a black suit, tall, pale and dark of hair. He slipped through the bustle of the crowded room, silent but for the jingling his many adornments: fatly jeweled rings, a pocket watch, and lacelike chains of platinum, silver and gold. He knelt to pick up the golden chalice beside the dead man. Bringing it to his nose, he sniffed, and then dropped it with a metallic thud. His voice cut through the cacophony, deep frigid steel.
"Oathwater. The blood of the Styx. We have been betrayed by one of our own. Even as our numbers dwindle, we seek to destroy one another."
Pandemonium broke loose.

~*~

Welcome to Pantheon on Park Avenue. If your affiliation is not specified, you win with the town. Standard rules apply, so no quoting PMs, no screen shots, no PMs outside the game, bold votes. You're all big boys, ask me if you have any questions (preferably in your PMs.)

This game will be narrated. Affiliation and actions, aside from what is normally revealed (flips), will not be deducible from the narrative. It will only indirectly confirm which characters are in the game (characters will never be outright named, and not all characters will be included anyway, it depends on the decisions of the players.)

1. BlackVoid
2. Endark
3. Medic
4. Korashk
5. Ore_Ele
6. YYW/1harder (Hydra)
7. Bossy
8. Daltonian
9. Zaradi
10. Raisor
11. XLAV
12. F-16
13. FourTrouble/Mikal (Hydra)
14. Bull_Diesel

With 14 players, it takes 7 votes to lynch.

Players in the game will not be allowed to replace back in.

Stay active, or I'll ax ya.

Let the games begin, after some brief words from our sponsor:

"My soul would sing of metamorphoses.
But since, o gods, you were the source of these
bodies becoming other bodies, breathe
your breath into my book of changes: may
the song I sing be seamless as its way
weaves from the world's beginning to our day."
- Ovid's Metamorphoses -
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2015 11:03:13 AM
We begin. As is usually the case, I don't really have the luxury of spending a lot of time on DDO through the day/or at night, and 1harder will probably be more active than I will throughout. I'll try to do my best to be active, though... like at lunch or something.
Tsar of DDO
Bull_Diesel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2015 11:18:57 AM
I'm sick (ill) as s hit I'll. Be on today for sure but left my computer at work. Let me get all cleaned up and take some Ned's andescription I'll jump in. :) good to be back
Daltonian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2015 11:27:01 AM
Ah, I see.

Does anybody want to bother thinking through the narrative? I'm not very good at psychoanalyzing themes in games like this, but I don't see anything overly indicative in that first narrative sequence.

One thing I did think it might also be implied that the theme isn't necessarily "good vs evil", but rather finding a traitor amongst the gods, who could be anyone. More of a clue type scenario than angry gods fighting it out with each other as per traditional greek mythology. That's just a guess, though.
F _ C K
All I need is "u", baby
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2015 11:33:11 AM
Since theme looks like it will be very important this game...

A marginal part of my character description makes me look a little bad given the opening narrative. It's really just a single word and has nothing to do with my justification but I'm putting this info out now to get ahead of the inevitable accusations.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2015 11:39:27 AM
At 3/22/2015 11:27:01 AM, Daltonian wrote:
Ah, I see.

Does anybody want to bother thinking through the narrative? I'm not very good at psychoanalyzing themes in games like this, but I don't see anything overly indicative in that first narrative sequence.

One thing I did think it might also be implied that the theme isn't necessarily "good vs evil", but rather finding a traitor amongst the gods, who could be anyone. More of a clue type scenario than angry gods fighting it out with each other as per traditional greek mythology. That's just a guess, though.

Are you an evil God?
Daltonian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2015 11:43:19 AM
At 3/22/2015 11:39:27 AM, Raisor wrote:
At 3/22/2015 11:27:01 AM, Daltonian wrote:
Ah, I see.

Are you an evil God?
No. That was just me thinking out loud. It seems like he's trying to create a scenario where the murder is a mystery, and it's not very mysterious if the theme is just "BAD GUY GODS" vs "GOOD GUY GODS". Logically, one would think it'd be deeper than that.
F _ C K
All I need is "u", baby
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2015 11:52:41 AM
At 3/22/2015 10:59:29 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
Affiliation and actions, aside from what is normally revealed (flips), will not be deducible from the narrative. It will only indirectly confirm which characters are in the game (characters will never be outright named, and not all characters will be included anyway, it depends on the decisions of the players.)

Theme's not important.

Vote: Raisor
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2015 11:56:49 AM
What should we do, oh great and powerful FT? Guide me with your wisdom about how to catch scum dp1 even though analysis on dp1 is, in almost all cases, founded on completely nothing.

I say we get XLav to claim.

Vote To Lynch Xlav
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2015 12:04:07 PM
At 3/22/2015 11:52:41 AM, FourTrouble wrote:
At 3/22/2015 10:59:29 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
Affiliation and actions, aside from what is normally revealed (flips), will not be deducible from the narrative. It will only indirectly confirm which characters are in the game (characters will never be outright named, and not all characters will be included anyway, it depends on the decisions of the players.)

Theme's not important.

Vote: Raisor

Jesu FT....

That statement doesn't mean theme isn't important. It just means the narratives won't tell a story that gives away how characters are aligned. There probably still is a thematic thread tying together character alignments, and it is guaranteed people will place a good deal of importance on this. Character almost certainly will be worth analyzing, so things associated with that character will be picked apart.

Please explain why my original statement was not worth making as town.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2015 12:07:23 PM
Ft, if theme isn't important, why do we have characters? Answer me that.

I'm actually fine with getting FT to claim sooner than later.

Unvote, Vote To Lynch FT
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2015 12:23:17 PM
The way I read Skep's warning about the narrative is that the narrative will confirm the existence of certain characters. If mafia cannot claim their actual characters (i.e. if they have to fake-claim for thematic reasons), then the narrative will confirm alignments. That means we cannot determine alignment from theme or character. Or I'm reading Skep's statement wrong.
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2015 12:26:49 PM
But it seems Skep did choose characters based on some thematic thread. Or at least that's what he just told me in my PM. So if the narrative confirms the existence of certain characters, that means mafia are limited in their fake-claims, or they're gonna claim their actual characters, so maybe theme will help. Even if that's the case, there's no point wasting our time on theme analysis until we have all the characters on the table. Focusing on theme instead of behaviors now is distracting.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2015 12:30:07 PM
Clarifications on theme:

There is, of course, justification for which characters have which alignment. However, in the narrative all that will be revealed are hints as to which characters are in the game. Not all characters in the narrative will be in the game, and not all characters in the game will be in the narrative.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2015 12:31:20 PM
At 3/22/2015 12:04:07 PM, Raisor wrote:
Please explain why my original statement was not worth making as town.

Because the need to preemptively state this --

A marginal part of my character description makes me look a little bad given the opening narrative.

-- doesn't square with Skep's statement. You're speaking from a defensive perspective instead of an active, scumhunting perspective. I dunno if it says anything about your alignment, but it's a better place to vote than random at the start of a game.
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2015 12:32:33 PM
At 3/22/2015 12:30:45 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 3/22/2015 11:01:44 AM, FourTrouble wrote:
F-16, are you town?
Yeah. You?

Yes, yes. You better not be lying to me. I need to know you're town for my sanity.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2015 12:34:03 PM
Vote Count:

FT 1/7 (Bossy)

Bossy 1/7 (FT)

I'm going for a lovely late lunch.

Everyone, please be so kind as to unvote before revoting.

Tata
- Hilaire Belloc -
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2015 12:56:31 PM
At 3/22/2015 12:26:49 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
But it seems Skep did choose characters based on some thematic thread. Or at least that's what he just told me in my PM. So if the narrative confirms the existence of certain characters, that means mafia are limited in their fake-claims, or they're gonna claim their actual characters, so maybe theme will help. Even if that's the case, there's no point wasting our time on theme analysis until we have all the characters on the table. Focusing on theme instead of behaviors now is distracting.

There are no behaviors. There is nothing to do dp1 except to mechanistically get one or two claims and then lynch the person with the least utility. Trying to analyze behavior on DP1 is trying to analyze reactions to nothing - it can't tell you anything. There is literally no town or scum motivation to post anything DP1 outside of a vote or a role claim, and anything else is hollow and meaningless.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2015 1:04:05 PM
At 3/22/2015 11:56:49 AM, bossyburrito wrote:
What should we do, oh great and powerful FT? Guide me with your wisdom about how to catch scum dp1 even though analysis on dp1 is, in almost all cases, founded on completely nothing.

Vote To Lynch Xlav
What made you post this?
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2015 1:19:06 PM
At 3/22/2015 1:04:05 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 3/22/2015 11:56:49 AM, bossyburrito wrote:

Vote To Lynch Xlav
What made you post this?

Because FT seemed to have a plan and I wanted to hear it, especially since having a good plan DP1 outside of getting a few claims and lynching is essentially impossible.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2015 1:22:11 PM
Are you normally skeptical of behavioral analysis on DP1? I was trying to find our most recent game together but I can't find it. I do remember having an early town read on you though based on your posting.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2015 1:27:51 PM
At 3/22/2015 1:22:11 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Are you normally skeptical of behavioral analysis on DP1? I was trying to find our most recent game together but I can't find it. I do remember having an early town read on you though based on your posting.

Yes, I really do believe what I'm saying. Here's a recent game for example (I was TP but still):http://www.debate.org...

I also don't like metanalysis, which makes this conversation kind of funny.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2015 1:32:30 PM
At 3/22/2015 1:27:32 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 3/22/2015 1:26:02 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
F-16, this is normal for bossy.
We'll see.

I don't see where your questions are going.
Sucks for you.

FT can vouch that we're planning on debating theory and that I'm adamant about DP1 generally being a waste of time. I don't see the point of this.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2015 1:35:07 PM
It is not that you thought DP1 was a waste of time. The way you started pre-emptively discounting FT pinged. But the more I think about it, the less I see scum motive to immediately antagonize him (unless you both are scum) so I'll let it slide for now.