Jump to topic:

I retract my view on theme analysis

Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 11:14:59 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I use to think it was credible at least to some extent. This game is living proof that it's pointless.

http://www.debate.org...

This is the only thing FT and I have ever differed with in our mafia perspectives, but I adhere to this now. Fuk theme, and bastard mod games lol
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 11:24:01 AM
I don't really enjoy themeless games. Without a theme, things are too cut and dried: you figure someone out, and then act accordingly. At least with a theme, there is a puzzle to solve on top of behaviors. It requires research and some out-of-game considerations. That makes it more engaging for me.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 11:25:54 AM
At 4/28/2015 11:14:59 AM, Mikal wrote:
I use to think it was credible at least to some extent. This game is living proof that it's pointless.

This is the only thing FT and I have ever differed with in our mafia perspectives, but I adhere to this now. Fuk theme, and bastard mod games lol

That's not a problem with thematic analysis. That's a problem with bastard mods, who should be boycotted.

You can ruin *any* strategy for playing Mafia with an (in)appropriately bastard game.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 11:25:57 AM
At 4/28/2015 11:24:01 AM, Maikuru wrote:
I don't really enjoy themeless games. Without a theme, things are too cut and dried: you figure someone out, and then act accordingly. At least with a theme, there is a puzzle to solve on top of behaviors. It requires research and some out-of-game considerations. That makes it more engaging for me.

I agree entirely. Games that are set up with a puzzle are fun, but what about this game. Where there is no puzzle and the mods just fuking with you for the hell of it. Like your trying to solve a puzzle that has missing pieces.

If you have someone confirming that you can use theme sure, but im never using it as a lynch method again. This game was possibly the most bastard modded game ive played in during mafia

Its like making a harry potter game and making harry potter scum
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 11:26:28 AM
The only time I prefer themeless is in live mafia. There, you have voices and videos and things besides text on a screen to think about. Also, the pace makes it such that themes need to be so basic that they can be pointless.
- lamerde

Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 11:27:42 AM
At 4/28/2015 11:25:54 AM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:

That's not a problem with thematic analysis. That's a problem with bastard mods, who should be boycotted.

You can ruin *any* strategy for playing Mafia with an (in)appropriately bastard game.

I agree but it does prove a point, that theme can be warded to alter perspectives. When you have a theme game that is designed to fuk with you, behavior is the constant. Behavior is always the constant. I always thought there were times when you could weigh theme over behavior, that is now gone from my mind.

I'm also completely off mass claims, except in live mafia for that reason now too. What is the point in trying to lock people into claims if your trying to put pieces into a puzzel that are not there
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 11:29:22 AM
At 4/28/2015 11:25:57 AM, Mikal wrote:

I agree entirely. Games that are set up with a puzzle are fun, but what about this game. Where there is no puzzle and the mods just fuking with you for the hell of it. Like your trying to solve a puzzle that has missing pieces.

If you have someone confirming that you can use theme sure, but im never using it as a lynch method again. This game was possibly the most bastard modded game ive played in during mafia

There is nothing better than a creative, fun, engaging theme. Conversely, there is nothing worse that a confusing, unbalanced, wasted theme lol. I'd rather have a themeless game than a bad themed one, that's for sure. (Note: I didn't read the game in question).

I remember trekie's transformers game had Optimus Prime as scum, but that was justified once the larger theme was understood and it didn't unbalance things. If a mod is just pissing around for the sake of sabotaging players, that's no good.
- lamerde

Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 11:33:07 AM
At 4/28/2015 11:29:22 AM, Maikuru wrote:

There is nothing better than a creative, fun, engaging theme. Conversely, there is nothing worse that a confusing, unbalanced, wasted theme lol. I'd rather have a themeless game than a bad themed one, that's for sure. (Note: I didn't read the game in question).

I remember trekie's transformers game had Optimus Prime as scum, but that was justified once the larger theme was understood and it didn't unbalance things. If a mod is just pissing around for the sake of sabotaging players, that's no good.

Trekies game actually had a theme though. I totally got why optiums prime was scum and I even called that in a PM before the game ended. I could see that, because it's a puzzle and the pieces were there to figure out when you used the quotes and other elements incorporated into the game. The only thing I thought that was slightly bastard moddy in that game was the pacifist as scum because it is inherently a town roll, but after reading the game over that was pretty obvious he was scum so i mean that was feasible.

Like the BL game I just did had twists and turns, but again bluesteel had literally hit every single piece of the puzzle by the end of the game.

This was just saying, yo this is a themed game. Let me make random people scum and say there is a theme to it with mixed up justification and no way to possibly understand wtf is going on.

I'm so done with theme.

Speaking of that, do you want to help me co mod my game?
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 11:33:50 AM
At 4/28/2015 11:27:42 AM, Mikal wrote:

I agree but it does prove a point, that theme can be warded to alter perspectives. When you have a theme game that is designed to fuk with you, behavior is the constant. Behavior is always the constant. I always thought there were times when you could weigh theme over behavior, that is now gone from my mind.

I'm also completely off mass claims, except in live mafia for that reason now too. What is the point in trying to lock people into claims if your trying to put pieces into a puzzel that are not there

No. Behavior is not always constant. Behavior is dependent on knowledge and perspective and can be messed with just like theme or any other strategy. For example: I make a bastard game where I give people false affiliation statements. Boom. People that think they're Town are actually Mafia and vice versa. Behavior analysis is now useless because of that setup.

That doesn't make behavior analysis not credible or that it's pointless. It means that bastard games are stupid and are either A) jokes mods play on players for the lulz; or B) pet experiments with players as guinea pigs to validate some personal theory of theirs.

At that point it's not a mafia game anymore. It shouldn't count for people that want to keep records. It shouldn't count on the list of historical mafia games. And it shouldn't count toward **any** sort of meta analysis of mafia. It's trying to use a football game to assess the validity of the designated hitter rule.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 11:36:48 AM
At 4/28/2015 11:33:50 AM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
At 4/28/2015 11:27:42 AM, Mikal wrote:

No. Behavior is not always constant. Behavior is dependent on knowledge and perspective and can be messed with just like theme or any other strategy. For example: I make a bastard game where I give people false affiliation statements. Boom. People that think they're Town are actually Mafia and vice versa. Behavior analysis is now useless because of that setup.

That doesn't make behavior analysis not credible or that it's pointless. It means that bastard games are stupid and are either A) jokes mods play on players for the lulz; or B) pet experiments with players as guinea pigs to validate some personal theory of theirs.

At that point it's not a mafia game anymore. It shouldn't count for people that want to keep records. It shouldn't count on the list of historical mafia games. And it shouldn't count toward **any** sort of meta analysis of mafia. It's trying to use a football game to assess the validity of the designated hitter rule.

Fair enough

I still think behavior is mostly constant. Not saying a "meta" read is constant, but its way harder to emulate behavior in situations. Like there are certain actions only town will do because of the net benefit of it. Mafia would not play against their win con unless they had to in order to achieve something (buss , etc).

If your comparing constants, I think behavior wins out. I've seen way to many games that are just non solvable in this to buy into theme anymore.

Granted I concede that its mod relative .
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 4:44:13 PM

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this. I made a Harry Potter game without Harry, Ron, Hagrid, or Dumbledore - so mafia could fake-claim them if they wanted.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 4:53:19 PM
At 4/28/2015 4:44:13 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this. I made a Harry Potter game without Harry, Ron, Hagrid, or Dumbledore - so mafia could fake-claim them if they wanted.

I entirely disagree , that just kills the point to having a theme at all. Fake claims is also different than just assigning random characters as mafia without any justification or theme in mind
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 4:57:05 PM
At 4/28/2015 4:53:19 PM, Mikal wrote:

I entirely disagree , that just kills the point to having a theme at all. Fake claims is also different than just assigning random characters as mafia without any justification or theme in mind

No mod is obligated to provide you with a puzzle that you can solve. I've always viewed the theme as just supplementary, extraneous, information that doesn't affect the game. It is unfair to for instance provide information in your OPs that can actually help town solve the game.

If your game becomes a solvable puzzle, then your game is weak and has failed. Mafia is a game of figuring out behavior. The puzzle aspect of it helps town win even without behavioral analysis and thus isn't mafia at all.
Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 4:57:31 PM
To bring up a separate point, I entirely disagree with giving mafia fake claims. A large part of a theme is the character claims. Removing that from the game equation makes it less fun.
0x5f3759df
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 5:00:35 PM
At 4/28/2015 4:57:05 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

No mod is obligated to provide you with a puzzle that you can solve. I've always viewed the theme as just supplementary, extraneous, information that doesn't affect the game. It is unfair to for instance provide information in your OPs that can actually help town solve the game.

If your game becomes a solvable puzzle, then your game is weak and has failed. Mafia is a game of figuring out behavior. The puzzle aspect of it helps town win even without behavioral analysis and thus isn't mafia at all.

Then why do a theme at all if you want to make it so it cant be solved, the only purpose would be to bastard mod and confuse town. Your better off running a non themed game if you want elements in the game that are strictly just there for no purpose.

Your running off behavior anyway at that point so why clutter it
Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 5:01:27 PM

What of roles?
0x5f3759df
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 5:08:47 PM
At 4/28/2015 5:00:35 PM, Mikal wrote:
Then why do a theme at all if you want to make it so it cant be solved, the only purpose would be to bastard mod and confuse town. Your better off running a non themed game if you want elements in the game that are strictly just there for no purpose.

Your running off behavior anyway at that point so why clutter it

a) For fun.
b) To challenge mafia to come up with good fake character claims that match their fake role claims (although I think mafia should be given SOME safe claims).
c) See my "Fantasy Mafia" game for instance (or any game I modded really). None of them would have been as fun without the themes. I've also modded themeless games though.
d) Giving the town a puzzle they can solve is bastard modding. Not the other way around.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 5:11:12 PM
At 4/28/2015 5:01:27 PM, Bullish wrote:
What of roles?

I think analyzing game balance is fair. If someone claimed cop when there is already a tracker, watcher, and rolecop in the game, it is fair to think that there are too many investigative roles and determine that one of them is possibly scum. That's part of the game. Unless you are playing a role-less game which are statistically skewed in favor of scum, roles are a part of the game there to help the town.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 5:22:35 PM

That's not how I prefer themes. I enjoy themes that are integrated into the mechanics of the game in terms of roles, characters, and story-telling. OP's or mod-based activities that are part of the story-telling are awesome in my book. I wish more mods would include them, actually.

How many times can I just sit around analyzing the same behaviors from the same people over and over? Mafia doesn't have to just be the same things again and again. That's where themes, narratives, and interactivity come in.
- lamerde

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 5:24:09 PM
At 4/28/2015 5:22:35 PM, Maikuru wrote:
How many times can I just sit around analyzing the same behaviors from the same people over and over? Mafia doesn't have to just be the same things again and again. That's where themes, narratives, and interactivity come in.

Behaviors are dynamic. People will try to change their behaviors and subvert their meta.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 5:30:21 PM
At 4/28/2015 5:24:09 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

Behaviors are dynamic. People will try to change their behaviors and subvert their meta.

People try. They usually fail, but that's besides the point. It's not that behavioral analysis isn't enough for a game, but if that's all that matters, then what's the difference between any two games?

I think mods, especially newer mods, are afraid of rocking the boat. They are so worried about balance, about making roles, about people enjoying the game that they don't try to experiment with new game dynamics. I'd like to enter a game not knowing what to expect, but that doesn't really happen.
- lamerde

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 5:30:48 PM
At 4/28/2015 4:57:31 PM, Bullish wrote:
To bring up a separate point, I entirely disagree with giving mafia fake claims. A large part of a theme is the character claims. Removing that from the game equation makes it less fun.

I don't like fake claims either.
- lamerde

RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 5:31:54 PM
At 4/28/2015 5:30:21 PM, Maikuru wrote:

People try. They usually fail, but that's besides the point. It's not that behavioral analysis isn't enough for a game, but if that's all that matters, then what's the difference between any two games?

I think mods, especially newer mods, are afraid of rocking the boat. They are so worried about balance, about making roles, about people enjoying the game that they don't try to experiment with new game dynamics. I'd like to enter a game not knowing what to expect, but that doesn't really happen.

Annie wasn't afraid of rocking the boat. In fact, I think she rocked it too much. .-.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 5:32:35 PM
At 4/28/2015 5:31:54 PM, RevNge wrote:

Annie wasn't afraid of rocking the boat. In fact, I think she rocked it too much. .-.

I heard some people drowned.
- lamerde

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 5:42:42 PM

See, Mikal, this is your problem. Themes don't have to be heroes versus villains. It would be an entirely consistent theme to make a Game of Thrones game where all the Starks were scum, or a Code Geass game where anyone who advocated reform rather than revolution (Suzaku and Euphemia) were scum. So long as it was consistent, it doesn't have to be good v bad.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 5:43:24 PM

I'm working on one that might intrigue you.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 5:44:19 PM
At 4/28/2015 5:43:24 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Rock my boat, baby.
- lamerde

Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 5:49:47 PM
At 4/28/2015 5:44:19 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 4/28/2015 5:43:24 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Rock my boat, baby.

To be fair, by adding dynamics, it does take away from the core essence of the game, IMO. But, who cares about that, amirite?
Also, I'd love for you to play my game if you can. I do hope it is as exciting as I think it is.
My work here is, finally, done.