Jump to topic:

Convince me to play anymore

Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 11:57:50 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I don't know what to do. My reputation precedes me, and, in mafia, that is a very bad thing. My stellar performance as scum makes me untrustworthy, and my alleged poor reads only compound the problem. I have always found it odd that people listen to me as scum, but not as town, but, right or wrong, some people consider just lynching me DP1. (in my defense, I'd say my town reads are usually good)

We all agree that I can be annoying with my hyper posting, which I've cut back on.
We all agree that I can be abrasive, but that is usually reserved for specific players or behaviors.
We all agree there are rumors about some unknown amount of players who would rather I didn't play.

This last bit combined with the my reputation of bad reads really bothers me, because whether it is true or not, this stigma affects others' view of me and how they interact. As it is, I am usually just ignored, which, as one can imagine, makes the game frustrating and unenjoyable for me. And, other times, I am actively ridiculed.

I've been told explicitly in-games that "I just ignroe Khaos", and I've seen others use this so-called reputation of mine to ignore me as well (I'm 99% BlackVoid did this in our first game). This is not noobs that have this problem with me, it is the veterans, the good players, the ones people respect, the in-crowd.

In my recent "hiatus", where I only played games where I was asked to by the mod (since Pantheon), those were some of the most fun I've had playing in a while. Now, I'm playing a game with serious players and I am not having fun again.

So, the question is: why bother anymore?
My time is valuable, and not having fun is not an ideal way of spending it. Yours is, too, so why ruin it? I may do trollish things, but I am not a troll (unless you deserve it, like Mikal did).
Basically, I don't feel respected or even liked by many.
Why should I stay? Would you rather I left?
Go on, be honest.

(and, in full disclosure, this not having fun is more than just in mafia, it is largely site-wide)
My work here is, finally, done.
Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 12:21:18 PM
I chose to ignore you because you ask too many questions that I felt were pointless to the game; I also felt that you make far too many paranoid theories that you assume to be correct over far simpler theories. I've definitely seen those gone down.

You should continue playing if you feel that it is fun. I'd like you to continue playing. You still play a mean scum game.
0x5f3759df
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 12:30:03 PM
At 5/15/2015 12:21:18 PM, Bullish wrote:
I chose to ignore you because you ask too many questions that I felt were pointless to the game; I also felt that you make far too many paranoid theories that you assume to be correct over far simpler theories. I've definitely seen those gone down.
This is true, but who doesn't make assumptions?
We assume X is a scum tell or town tell, we assume player X did this and flipped scum, therefore we assume Y about Z.
And, who doesn't make assumptions on PoE or game mechanics?

So, I don't feel that assumptions are bad, and I think that is a false reason to ignore me, but the questions are a valid complaint.

You should continue playing if you feel that it is fun. I'd like you to continue playing. You still play a mean scum game.

Thank you for your input.
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 12:44:20 PM
@Khaos

I've said this before and I'll say it again: your problem isn't your reads or theories or plans; sometimes those things are actually good. The problem is how you treat others. In mafia, that makes a massive difference, because it's a social game, and if you hate players and always scumread them because you hate them, then nobody's gonna trust your reads. And if you treat others badly, nobody's gonna wanna interact with you. And so on. Your reputation is a reflection on your behavior. Want to change the reputation? Change your behavior. I've told you this many times in PM, and openly, and I'll say it again: I have respect for your activity levels. If you can keep that but change your problems, then you'll capture the respect of many. But if you keep doing what you're doing, then nothing's gonna change.

This thread isn't gonna change anything. Asking people whether you should leave doesn't change anything. Asking people what they think of you doesn't change anything. If you want to stay, and if you want to keep playing mafia, then stay and keep playing. If not, leave. Simple answer. The choice is yours, not anybody else's. You want people to respect you? Take responsibility. Take responsibility for your behaviors. Take responsibility for your reputation. Take responsibility for your play. That's how you gain respect. If you care about being respected, then earn people's respect -- you're the only one who can do that. Nobody's gonna respect you just because you ask for their respect over and over. And asking people to tell you over and over whether they like you or not, and whether they want you to stay or not, isn't gonna help either. You need to make that decision for yourself, and if you care about your reputation (and you should), then it's on you to change it.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 1:04:57 PM
At 5/15/2015 12:44:20 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
@Khaos
I'm aware you've said those things, and I agree with most of that.
But, when people act in the shadows, I need to know what I did wrong.

I'm abrasive, so are you. You are respected, I am not. You've been called abrasive by others, and you haven't seemed to change much. So, It's more than just how one treats others. Regardless, I need a starting point, a point of reference.
When people like Mikal tell me there are people who actively won't play with me, and I play in every game, they leave. if they tell me this is true, then I know, instead of just assuming.
By publicly stating I will leave, maybe people will come back. Let's not think it a coincidence that your game has many players who haven't played in a while, and I wasn't in the game at game start. If THEY have a problem, THEY need to tell me. You have/had a problem with me since day one, and people still like you. It is the social aspect, I am aware, but it's not an issue of being nice to others.

I do not recall anyone other than you tell me that my behavior is a problem. (Mikal does not count)
And, you lied to get me lynched not to long ago, and I don't recall being mean or anything in that game, so clearly I can't just "play nice" and everything is fine (hell, I was trying to be lynched, to warn town).
I don't even know if people care. I don't even know if people have a problem with me personally or not, and if they don't like me personally, then they are likely to not want to play with me, which is a whole other thing.

And, in real life, I am abrasive, and blunt, and, in fact, I'm actually only a "jerk" (with my sarcastic wit) to those I like. People know this, and people still like to be around me. Co-workers like this about me, because I "keep it real, and don't front".
So, color me confused why my behavior is received different online than IRL, especially when others are liked, and are clearly worse people than I am.
The social aspect may be part of it, but don't think that you and I are that terribly different, so it seems there is more to it than that.

And, I will be the first to admit that lately, like over the last four months or so, I've been much more of a bear. But, this issue predates this time period.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 1:15:51 PM
Actually, speaking of Mikal, Mikal's issue with me was never that I was mean or a bad person, just that I am annoying in forum mafia and suck at the game.

So, the only one that has an issue with my personality is you, FT.
Which is why I made this thread (similar to another in the past), for people to come forward.

I was hella mean to Rev, and I think he likes me.
I was hard on Harder, Esocial, Yama, and User, and they, too, seem to like me well enough.
I've openly insulted Ford and ER in-game, and they have told me explicitly they like playing with me.

So, again, the argument sounds good, but it doesn't seem to hold up given the evidence.....unless there is something you are not telling me, like ten people who share this opinion of yours. So, tell them to come forward. And, if others are lying to me, then man up and tell me the truth.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 1:33:33 PM
One more thing, FT....

Can you really blame me for my current reputation, caused by my behavior, when no one but you (well after a year later), has said anything about it? Sure, I drove others away, but they never gave me the chance to correct my behavior before doing so.
Every other criticism I recall ever getting is about my play or my skill.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 3:40:34 PM
At 5/15/2015 11:57:50 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
I enjoy playing with you and having you in my mafia games.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 7:52:30 PM
I don't know what to do. My reputation precedes me, and, in mafia, that is a very bad thing. My stellar performance as scum makes me untrustworthy, and my alleged poor reads only compound the problem. I have always found it odd that people listen to me as scum, but not as town, but, right or wrong, some people consider just lynching me DP1. (in my defense, I'd say my town reads are usually good)

We all agree that I can be annoying with my hyper posting, which I've cut back on.
We all agree that I can be abrasive, but that is usually reserved for specific players or behaviors.
We all agree there are rumors about some unknown amount of players who would rather I didn't play.

This last bit combined with the my reputation of bad reads really bothers me, because whether it is true or not, this stigma affects others' view of me and how they interact. As it is, I am usually just ignored, which, as one can imagine, makes the game frustrating and unenjoyable for me. And, other times, I am actively ridiculed.

I've been told explicitly in-games that "I just ignroe Khaos", and I've seen others use this so-called reputation of mine to ignore me as well (I'm 99% BlackVoid did this in our first game). This is not noobs that have this problem with me, it is the veterans, the good players, the ones people respect, the in-crowd.

In my recent "hiatus", where I only played games where I was asked to by the mod (since Pantheon), those were some of the most fun I've had playing in a while. Now, I'm playing a game with serious players and I am not having fun again.

My time is valuable, and not having fun is not an ideal way of spending it. Yours is, too, so why ruin it? I may do trollish things, but I am not a troll (unless you deserve it, like Mikal did).
Go on, be honest.

(and, in full disclosure, this not having fun is more than just in mafia, it is largely site-wide)

Two words:
New Account
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 9:58:20 PM
At 5/15/2015 1:15:51 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Actually, speaking of Mikal, Mikal's issue with me was never that I was mean or a bad person, just that I am annoying in forum mafia and suck at the game.

So, the only one that has an issue with my personality is you, FT.
Which is why I made this thread (similar to another in the past), for people to come forward.

I was hella mean to Rev, and I think he likes me.

y u hate meh
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 9:58:35 PM
At 5/15/2015 7:47:42 PM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
Quit this site and come play EM with me

roflmao
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 9:59:48 PM

Go on, be honest.

Don't leave, bruh. Mafia won't be as fun without a crazy player in the game, and despite what people say, you're actually pretty good at playing Mafia, IMO.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 10:00:13 PM
At 5/15/2015 7:52:30 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Go on, be honest.

Two words:
New Account

How'd that work out for you?
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 10:12:44 PM

Go on, be honest.

No
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 10:29:06 PM
I don't know what to do. My reputation precedes me, and, in mafia, that is a very bad

Your personality doesn't bother me. Your town play does irk me, though not enough to avoid playing with you. I'll give you some tips to improve it.

Voltaire once said the secret to being a total bore is to tell everything, and that's what you do. When I play, I make note of many different theories, different possibilities, and maintain these either in my notes or in my head. Once I find enough evidence for one, I make a case. Imagine a player of gin rummy carefully managing their cards until they have a meld to play. That's how a lot of people play mafia. I've had the privilege of seeing some of their private thoughts as the game unfolds, and what you see in the DP is just the tip of the iceberg.

To follow the card analogy, imagine how it might annoy the other players if one person tried to play every card which he picks up, on its own, even if it doesn't form a meld. That's how you play. Every single weird theory or paranoid suspicion is aired in the DP, and more credulous players sometimes run with it, screwing up the more carefully formulated, and rational, plans, of the other town players. I think that your play, and reputation, would improve immensely if you played with your cards more closely to your chest. You do this as scum, because you have to keep the rest of the iceberg hidden, and that's why people enjoy playing with you more as scum. Realize that there are also a lot of things that town players shouldn't say even if they believe that it may be true, because every word spoken in the DP affects the game.

The calls to ignore you aren't people who want you to leave, or who dislike you. They are people who are trying to stop you from impacting the game in ways which disturb their carefully laid plans.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Yraelz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 10:40:52 PM
At 5/15/2015 7:47:42 PM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
Quit this site and come play EM with me

Add me as a friend. Screen name: YRAELZ
Yraelz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 10:44:15 PM
At 5/15/2015 12:44:20 PM, FourTrouble wrote:

Also accept my friend invite on EM. It's been like a week.

I actually found some good setups on that site that rely on behavioral analysis.
trekie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 2:49:36 AM
Not that I play super often but I'd miss having you around when I do play.

Frankly, I don't even mind the crazy conspiracy theories. It's part of the reason why you are always so active and I think that's one of your strongest assets as a player.

What I don't like about your play is that you often lie as town. Sometimes there's a good enough reason for it but other times your reasons are really incomprehensible for a rational mind.
Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 7:18:01 AM

Go on, be honest.

FFS, just leave this bloody game alone already. You don't get anything from it. It's just a crux that you use to pass the time. Why not try and do something with your life, instead of doing the very mildly satisfying in playing this game? I mean, you say that this isn't even fun anymore.

Your time isn't very valuable if you bicker over nigh irrelevant trivialities like this. I'm not even trying to be a b*tch, but I am genuinely angry when I see people spending their lives poorly (not necessarily wasting their time). Not only that, but you're spending your time complaining about something that is a poor use of time.

You can do so much more with your life. Take this in-game backlash as the first step to leading a better life, for your sake.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 8:03:25 AM
At 5/16/2015 7:18:01 AM, Zarroette wrote:

Go on, be honest.

FFS, just leave this bloody game alone already. You don't get anything from it. It's just a crux that you use to pass the time. Why not try and do something with your life, instead of doing the very mildly satisfying in playing this game? I mean, you say that this isn't even fun anymore.

Your time isn't very valuable if you bicker over nigh irrelevant trivialities like this. I'm not even trying to be a b*tch, but I am genuinely angry when I see people spending their lives poorly (not necessarily wasting their time). Not only that, but you're spending your time complaining about something that is a poor use of time.

You can do so much more with your life. Take this in-game backlash as the first step to leading a better life, for your sake.

*grabs popcorn*
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 8:07:04 AM
At 5/16/2015 8:03:25 AM, tejretics wrote:

Go on, be honest.

*grabs popcorn*

No, no. I am not allowing this to turn into petty drama, nor did I intend it to degrade the thread into such. It is merely my hones opinion that Khaos is free to take or leave.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 8:07:47 AM
At 5/16/2015 8:07:04 AM, Zarroette wrote:

Go on, be honest.

*grabs popcorn*

No, no. I am not allowing this to turn into petty drama, nor did I intend it to degrade the thread into such. It is merely my hones opinion that Khaos is free to take or leave.

*disappointed face*
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 8:08:58 AM
At 5/16/2015 8:07:47 AM, tejretics wrote:

Go on, be honest.

*grabs popcorn*

*disappointed face*

I have caused enough petty drama on this site.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 8:09:37 AM
At 5/16/2015 8:08:58 AM, Zarroette wrote:
At 5/16/2015 8:07:47 AM, tejretics wrote:

Go on, be honest.

*grabs popcorn*

*disappointed face*

It's not "petty". Drama is drama. XD
Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 8:11:46 AM
At 5/16/2015 8:09:37 AM, tejretics wrote:

Nonsense. There are absolutely degrees of drama, ranging from the serious (e.g. someone dying) to the petty (e.g. arguing about Mafia). Do you not agree?
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 8:12:51 AM
At 5/16/2015 8:11:46 AM, Zarroette wrote:

Nonsense. There are absolutely degrees of drama, ranging from the serious (e.g. someone dying) to the petty (e.g. arguing about Mafia). Do you not agree?

Someone dying is not drama. It's harsh and brutal reality. Arguing about Mafia is drama.
Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 3:56:59 PM
At 5/15/2015 10:29:06 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
I don't know what to do. My reputation precedes me, and, in mafia, that is a very bad

Your personality doesn't bother me. Your town play does irk me, though not enough to avoid playing with you. I'll give you some tips to improve it.

Voltaire once said the secret to being a total bore is to tell everything, and that's what you do. When I play, I make note of many different theories, different possibilities, and maintain these either in my notes or in my head. Once I find enough evidence for one, I make a case. Imagine a player of gin rummy carefully managing their cards until they have a meld to play. That's how a lot of people play mafia. I've had the privilege of seeing some of their private thoughts as the game unfolds, and what you see in the DP is just the tip of the iceberg.

To follow the card analogy, imagine how it might annoy the other players if one person tried to play every card which he picks up, on its own, even if it doesn't form a meld. That's how you play. Every single weird theory or paranoid suspicion is aired in the DP, and more credulous players sometimes run with it, screwing up the more carefully formulated, and rational, plans, of the other town players. I think that your play, and reputation, would improve immensely if you played with your cards more closely to your chest. You do this as scum, because you have to keep the rest of the iceberg hidden, and that's why people enjoy playing with you more as scum. Realize that there are also a lot of things that town players shouldn't say even if they believe that it may be true, because every word spoken in the DP affects the game.

The calls to ignore you aren't people who want you to leave, or who dislike you. They are people who are trying to stop you from impacting the game in ways which disturb their carefully laid plans.

^^ I find myself agreeing a lot with Skep recently.
0x5f3759df
Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 5:10:01 PM
At 5/16/2015 8:12:51 AM, tejretics wrote:
At 5/16/2015 8:11:46 AM, Zarroette wrote:

Someone dying is not drama. It's harsh and brutal reality. Arguing about Mafia is drama.

Depends on the definition in use.