Jump to topic:

Open Setup Ideas

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 6:34:52 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
My next game (which will run in a couple of months probably) will most likely be an open setup. I'm throwing out ideas hopefully to see if any of you guys have feedback or if there is a type of setup you would be particularly interested in playing.

Setup A: Revivers

15 player game

4 Mafia Goons
9 Vanilla Townies
1 2X Reviver
1 Backup reviver

This is essentially an all vanilla game besides the reviver and the backup. As far as mislynch numbers go, two town players can be revived so it is essentially a 17 player game with 4 confirmed townies. The backup reviver exists so the game doesn't become too swingy if the reviver is killed NP1. The backup will get the unused revives so it is a maximum of two revives in the game. I've also considered restricting the 2X revive to one being from a nightkill and one being from a lynch. Also, revives can be used each night but only one per night. Mafia nightkills work normally.

Pros are that it probably well balanced considering mafia need 5 mislynches to win once you take the revives into consideration.

Cons - With 4 confirmed townies, it can be hard to break a townbloc if one results from players that can work well with each other. The nightkills are pretty much set in stone because of the number of confirmed town. The setup lacks elegance. If the reviver does not claim until later on and only starts reviving people before LYLO, a bunch of confirmed town will make exceedingly difficult to grab those last few mislynches.

Setup B: Traitors

This is a nightless game. Mafia have no kills. Only way a player dies is through lynch.

13 player game

4 mafia traitors
9 vanilla townies

To win mafia needs to mislynch 4 townies. Even if they don't achieve majority by then, they still win.

To win town need to lynch all 4 mafia.

Town can't no lynch. It is either plurality or random town lynch if time expires, still deciding on that. Might want to make it 5 mislynches. Still deciding on that too.

Mafia do not have a scum PM. Each one only knows the identity of one other mafia member. They are all on the same team though and win or lose together. For convenience, let's name each of them Fire, Water, Electric, and Grass.

Fire only knows the identity of Water.
Water only knows the identity of Electric.
Electric only knows the identity of Grass.
Grass only knows the identity of Fire.

So mafia have to scumhunt as well. Their informed perspective is limited to that one mafia member that they know. (Although I'd expect their scumhunting to be contrived because if they truly want to win, they'd be protecting their unknown teammates by ignoring their scumtells).

When a scum flips, their name will be released. For instance "FourTrouble, Grass has been lynched, he was guilty."

Subsequently, if another mafia flips, the flip may be "BlackVoid, Electric has been lynched, he was guilty."

So town aren't totally in the dark. At this point they would be hunting to see if there was anyone that betrayed that they knew BlackVoid was scum while at the same time if there was anyone who FT knew was scum.

So, this complicates interaction analysis by taking half of it away. That makes it a heck of a lot harder for town to catch scum but also harder for mafia to co-ordinate and mislynch townies.

Thoughts?
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 6:43:02 PM
At 5/24/2015 6:34:52 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

How would the NK work?
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 6:43:38 PM
Wait, I didn't read the whole thing. Nvm.
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 8:24:46 PM
At 5/24/2015 8:09:41 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
I love the traitor setup. Cool idea to confuse interaction analysis.

I've thoughts about adding yet another feature to it.

Each mafia member has the ability to send a message to another one. But this will be announced in the DP should they choose to do so.

For instance, Fire can decide that he would rather Electric knows who he is so he sends a message (through the mod) informing electric that he is mafia and fire.

In the DP, the mod announces "fire has sent a message to electric."

That way town takes that into account when analyzing interactions. Each scum player only has one message to send so at worst, this results in the mafia knowing who two of their partners are but not the last one (depending on who receives the messages).
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 8:56:16 PM
At 5/24/2015 8:51:18 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
There was a similar traitor set-up in 7th's Day of the Doctor mafia, and it was the worst thing that's ever happened (sorry, 7th).

If a player can make it through the entire game without noticing that, it wasn't a big problem.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 8:57:30 PM
There was a similar traitor set-up in 7th's Day of the Doctor mafia, and it was the worst thing that's ever happened (sorry, 7th).

):
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

~mysteriouscrystals

~F-16

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 8:59:05 PM
At 5/24/2015 8:56:16 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:

If a player can make it through the entire game without noticing that, it wasn't a big problem.

?
Everyone noticed. The whole game was a huge problem.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 8:59:29 PM
At 5/24/2015 8:57:30 PM, SeventhProfessor wrote:

):

Nobody knew how to win.
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 9:00:18 PM
At 5/24/2015 8:59:05 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 5/24/2015 8:56:16 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:

?
Everyone noticed. The whole game was a huge problem.
Oh. I can assure you I had no idea what was going on.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 9:00:49 PM
At 5/24/2015 8:59:29 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 5/24/2015 8:57:30 PM, SeventhProfessor wrote:

):

Nobody knew how to win.

Only 6 people! And the main scum guy could recruit the unsure people into a scum PM
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

~mysteriouscrystals

~F-16

Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 10:31:10 PM
There's a nice thing from MafiaScum called "lover's gambit"

8 players:
2 lovers
- one of whom is confirmed innocent child by mod DP1
1 Jailor
3 vanilla
2 scum
0x5f3759df
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2015 2:43:53 AM
Here's another setup:

Setup C: Open Dead Thread

This is going to work like a normal mafia game. Possibly with 13 players, 3 mafia goons and 10 townies with maybe one role or so with the rest being vanillas.

Mafia have normal night kills. However, when a player dies, they get transported to another thread, the "dead thread" which will be public. The alive players will be able to watch the dead discuss the game in the dead thread and if needed adjust their votes/lynches based on the dead townies's analysis.

Basically, I'm replacing the mafia night kill with a permanent tree stump which removes a player's vote from the game but allows them to continue talking.

The only novelty is I want to them to do it in a separate thread to keep things cleaner. And they can communicate with the players alive. And the alive players can certainly ask the dead questions (which the dead would answer in their own thread). I'll probably make it an all-vanilla game because of the massive advantage it offers town to have confirmed townies posting analysis and helping them. It also gets more and more difficult in those final stages for the mafia because nearly the entire town would be helping them.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2015 2:44:45 AM
I was considering doing a Game of Thrones theme because it is a complete travesty that nobody has modded it yet but TUF beat me to it. So, I'm probably sticking with Themeless.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2015 2:47:44 AM
Alternatively I could have it so that a mislynch means they are out for good whereas a nightkill means they can still post in the dead thread. It creates interesting dynamics where if the scumteam really wants to remove a town voice they need to mislynch them while townies would work very hard to avoid being mislynched.

Obviously dead scum can't post in the dead thread. No point having it spammed by the trolling of dead mafia.