DP1: http://www.debate.org...
DP2: http://www.debate.org...
DP3: http://www.debate.org...
DP4: http://www.debate.org...

Dramatis Personae

Town(10)

1)
Player: headphonegut
Character: Hyper Competent Sidekick (http://tvtropes.org...)
Role: Spotter - Each night you may target another player. Non-mafia sided killing roles will have no effect on the selected player if they win with the Town.
"A good roadie knows that it's his job to make someone else look good, keep someone else safe, help someone else do what they were put here to do." - Br"tal Legend
Affiliation/Win Condition: You win with the Town. The Town wins when it eliminates all opposing factions.

2)
Player: daytonanerd
Character: Combat Medic (http://tvtropes.org...)
Role: 3xDoctor/2xVigilante - Each night you may select another player. You may either protect them from all lethal actions or kill them.
"Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes execute dangerous people. Either way helps." - Mass Effect 2
Affiliation/Win Condition: You win with the Town. The Town wins when it eliminates all opposing factions.

3)
Player: Lucky_Luciano
Character: My Significance Sense Is Tingling (http://tvtropes.org...)
Role: Motion Detector - Each night you may select another player. You will learn if any actions were performed by or on that player, but not what they were, or who else was involved.
"You always sense a disturbance in the force. But yeah, I sense it too." - Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy

4)
Player: YamaVonKarma
Character: Boring but Practical (http://tvtropes.org...)
Role: Vanilla Townie - Your weapon is your vote, you have no night actions.
"He'd been a successful soldier, as these things went; he'd generally been on the winning side, and had killed more of the enemy by good if dull tactics than his own men by bad but exciting ones." - Discworld: Night Watch

5)
Player: ford_prefect
Character: Insert Payment To Use (http://tvtropes.org...)
Role: Trader - Each night you may select two players - a "client" and a "mark". If the client has an active role he will be offered a trade. In exchange for information about the mark the client must waive his night action on the following night.
"All magic comes with a price!" - Once Upon a Time
[mod note: Relays Tracker results on the mark.]

6)
Player: TN05
Character: Plot-Sensitive Snooping Skills (http://tvtropes.org...)
Role: Quote Cop - Each night you may target another player. You will learn what medium their quote is from.
"Man, for someone with like fifty different kinds of vision, you are so blind." - Justice League Unlimited

7)
Player: SolonKR
Character: I See Dead People (http://tvtropes.org...)
Role: Ghost Whisperer - Each night you may select a dead player and recruit them into a mod-created PM. You and the targeted player may discuss the game for the duration of the subsequent Day Phase.
"I see dead people... walking around like regular people. They don't see each other. They only see what they want to see." - The Sixth Sense

8)
Player: Yraelz/FT
Character: Jedi Mind Trick (http://tvtropes.org...)
Role: Dodger - Each night you may select another player. Their night action won't have any effect on you.
"You don't want to sell me death sticks... You want to go home and rethink your life." - Star Wars: Attack of the Clones

9)
Player: XLAV
Character: I Am Legion (http://tvtropes.org...)
Role: Double Voter - Your vote may have the weight of two. To avoid confusion, you must post 2xVTL [Player Name] when you intend to use both votes (even if you already have a standing vote against that player.) Unvoting will always remove all standing votes.
"There is no individual. We are all geth. There are currently 1,183 programs active within this platform." - Mass Effect 2

10)
Player: Khaos_Mage
Character: What You Are in the Dark (http://tvtropes.org...)
Role: TP-Flavored Judas - When lynched for the first time, you may instead choose to survive and change your affiliation to be a joint-win Survivor. Your (un)lynch will end the DP.
"We all do our duty when there's no cost to it. Honor comes easy then. But sooner or later, in every man's life, there comes a day when it is not easy. A day when he must choose." - Game of Thrones
trekie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2015 9:58:39 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Mafia(3)

11)
Player: Raisor
Character: Xanatos Gambit (http://tvtropes.org...)
Role: Foolproof - If you choose to perform the night kill, you may select two targets to potentially kill numbered in order of preference. If your first preference cannot be killed, your second preference is targeted.
"The key to strategy... is not to choose a path to victory, but to choose so that all paths lead to a victory." - The Vor Game
Affiliation/Win Condition: You win with the Mafia. The Mafia wins when it eliminates all opposing factions (or when nothing can prevent the same).

12)
Player: Skepsikyma
Character: Mad Scientist (http://tvtropes.org...)
Role: Inventor - During each night you may choose to do two of the following:
A) Create a new invention.
Choose an item to create from the following list:
- Cut-and-Paste Note
- Tracking Device
- Plot Armor
- Love Potion
- Mind-Control Device
- Incredibly Obvious Bug
- MacGuffin
B) Test out your contraption.
Choose an already created item and learn what it does.
C) Use an item.
Choose an already created item to use. If you don't know what an item does and it requires a target or (other input) in order to be used you will be prompted to provide one. (You can self-target if you wish.)
D) Give an item to another player.
Choose an already created item and target another player. Your target will receive the item during the night. The passed on item can be used in addition to a player's original abiliti(es) starting from the following night.
"I'll be honest, we're throwing Science at the wall here to see what sticks. No idea what it'll do. Probably nothing. Best-case scenario, you might get some superpowers. Worst case, some tumors, which we'll cut out." - Portal 2
Affiliation/Win Condition: You win with the Mafia. The Mafia wins when it eliminates all opposing factions (or when nothing can prevent the same).
[mod note:
Plot Armor - During the night you may choose to be protected from lethal actions.
Mind-Control Device - During the night you may target two players. All actions targeting the first player will be redirected to the second, and vice versa.
Tracking Device - During the night you may select another player. You will learn who they visited, but not what action(s) they took.
Incredibly Obvious Bug - During the night you may select another player. You will receive their role PM.
Cut-and-Paste Note - During the night you may select another player. I will send a message of your choosing to that player.
Love Potion - During the night you may select another player. For most of the rest of the game, that player's vote will not count for the first mafioso it's cast against. The potion will wear off if/when only the mafia and two non-mafia sided players remain.
MacGuffin - It does nothing.]

13)
Player: EndarkenedRationalist
Character: You Can't Thwart Stage One (http://tvtropes.org...)
Role: Roleblocker - Each night you may select another player and prevent them from taking any action.
"The one thing they all have in common is this: The wicked empire exists. It has existed for some time, and it will continue to exist if no hero intervenes." - The Order of the Stick
trekie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2015 10:00:07 AM
Night Actions:

NP1
Daytona vigs TN05.
TN05 quote cops Daytona. (super duper dies)
Ford offers a trade to HPG with Daytona as the 'mark'.
HPG spots Endark and accepts the trade. ("Daytona visited TN05.")
Geo forfeits due to inactivity.
Solon recruits XLAV.
Yraelz/FT dodges Daytona.
Skep creates and tests the Love Potion.
Raisor kills TN05 with FT as backup.
Endark roleblocks Khaos.

NP2
Ford offers a trade to HPG with Lucky as the 'mark'.
HPG waives and accepts the trade. (dies)
Lucky scans Skep for movement. (roleblocked)
Solon recruits TN05. (TN05's NP1 result: "Video Game")
Yraelz/FT dodges Lucky.
Skep creates a Mind-Control Device and bus drives Yama and Yraelz/FT.
Raisor kills HPG with Ford as backup.
Endark roleblocks Lucky.

NP3
Ford offers a trade to FT/Yraelz with Raisor as the 'mark'. (roleblocked)
Lucky scans Skep for movement. (dies)
Solon recruits HPG. (HPG's NP2 result: "Lucky didn't visit anyone.")
Yraelz/FT dodges Khaos.
Skep creates a Plot Armor and passes it to Ford.
Raisor kills Lucky with Yama as backup.
Endark roleblocks Ford.
trekie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2015 10:07:42 AM
Theme
The theme was simple (heroic/natural vs villainous tropes) but vaguely defined (based on my interpretation). The character pool was also huge which meant CCs were not likely. So in essence the theme was a limited tool to scum-hunt only in the form of role-character/trope analysis.

Mod notes on balance, role mechanics, and game play

1) TP Judas - I'm getting this out of the way first. The role was meant to appeal to the player's opportunistic nature, not to be a 4th mafioso from the outset. Optimal play would have been: play like a townie who's in it to win it, see how that goes, if not so well, consider getting lynched at LYLO. Hilarious fake claims aside, I was less than thrilled with how Khaos decided to play this. I think by playing intentionally pro-scum and actively furthering scum's agenda since DP2 he took an unnecessary risk (without really considering how it might affect his own chances at winning) just because he would have prefered to see town lose. That bothered me a little.

2) Available Free Mislynches - I hear FT on this point. My games tend to be pretty role heavy so providing the right/fair amount of free mislynches for town under all circumstances is not an exact science. I was aiming for mafia winning on the 4th mislych on avarage. That obviously didn't pan out. I need to look at more for worst case scenarios in my setups.

3) 3xDoctor/2xVig - I can't beleive this role got lynched. During the balancing process this was the only role I considered town confirmed just by claim alone. (Even the Double Voter was iffy affiliation wise.) The Spotter role implied the presence of a killing role and it was also the only outright town-sided protective role in the game. Daytona claimed it as a Bodyguard though so I can, at least, understand more skepticism for that. The Vig was 2x so it could balance out a potential misviging.

Mafia MVP - Endark
The entire mafia had a solid game, but Raisor's activity was more spotty during the earlier day phases and his DP3 behaviour and role claim did ping many players' scum radars. Skep was a crucial asset in getting the important mislynches, however his play was less consistent which I think would have landed him in more trouble if he didn't have the solid Inventor claim to fall back on. While Endark came under some scrutiny for his Vanilla claim, I thought his interactions with his partners and behaviour in general emulated town play well enough to fool most people.

Town MVPs - FT/Yraelz & Solon
FT and Yraelz both get an A for effort. I was having deja vu from reading Yraelz utterly destroy Khaos' fake role claim on DP3. FT was also on point with the DP2 behaviour/role inconsistency. It's a shame that the time spent on Khaos was a waste due to circiumstances that were really out of town's control. I'm truly sorry for that. However, FT taking the lead, and trying to cast a wider net by not limiting the focus to one suspect was a good call via the mass claim on DP3. It was also really smart of Solon to leverage TN05's NP1 result to help FT get the ball rolling. For the first time in the game a mafioso - Raisor - finally came under real pressure. I also want to highlight Solon's read accuracy on DP1, he named the entire scum team of Raisor/Endark/Skep/ in one of his posts. The problem was that he always had a 4th interchangable player on his scum lists who got pushed more. Had he been able to follow through on his overlapping scum reads instead, the game could have been very different.
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2015 10:10:06 AM
Solon, khaos... what the hell were you thinking?
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2015 10:24:50 AM
For then record everything I said about my activity was true.

I really was out of town with no time to post, I really did want to post reads dp2, I really was trying to type stuff up on ft when you guys were pressuring me. I had two options for fake claim ready, I could have claimed any time I didn't think ignoring the pressure would get me scum read lol.

Anyways I think khaos was real scum mvp haha
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2015 10:26:15 AM
At 5/31/2015 10:24:50 AM, Raisor wrote:

I really was out of town with no time to post, I really did want to post reads dp2, I really was trying to type stuff up on ft when you guys were pressuring me. I had two options for fake claim ready, I could have claimed any time I didn't think ignoring the pressure would get me scum read lol.

Tru dat
Wasted two lynches on him
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2015 10:33:06 AM
Well...that was fun. LOL

Sorry, I ruined it for you trekkie, but WTF town.
XLAV, all he needed to do was post. Had he not flipped double voter, I probably still would have helped town.
HPG going after Daytona, was stupid as hell, especially when he knew there was another killing role.
Daytona, killing TN05 was an awful choice, both in target and in timing. Lynching you sealed town's fate.
Yama, is just Yama.
Also, comments like TPs are scum are bothersome.

For the record, I purposely fake claimed poorly, because I knew the hydra would have noticed my fake claim lynchproof, and I needed to be lynched. I thought mafia would have hopped on the fake guilty once Yama voted, then we'd be at LYLO, and I could be lynched (they were right about me choosing them because of Yama). But, seriously, FT, you should have seen there was likely a TP, and that player needed to be lynched (as the last game they needed to be shot). I mean seriously, how bad was that fake claim? LOL
Had you realized this, it would have forced me to be pro-town.

The reason I lied about the double vote was to expose the mafia (even though I knew who they were, although, I was unsure about Raisor and FT, due to last DP), and that would have forced them to keep me alive by no lynching today. Oh, well.

Trekkie, I don't think the mislynches were out of whack, as the double voter and the vig would have allowed for an extra lynch.
My work here is, finally, done.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2015 10:36:13 AM
At 5/31/2015 10:24:50 AM, Raisor wrote:

FVCK YOU!!!!
Such disrespect. I killed the vig for you.
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2015 10:37:53 AM
I think that it's undisputed that I played pretty $hittily in this game. However, me getting lynched in 73 posts, while we were still in a kind of questioning period... Damn.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2015 10:41:20 AM
At 5/31/2015 10:37:53 AM, daytonanerd wrote:
I think that it's undisputed that I played pretty $hittily in this game. However, me getting lynched in 73 posts, while we were still in a kind of questioning period... Damn.

Town played sh!tty. Period. Everyone dropped the ball, especially FT/Y. They knew I was lynchproof, they knew the last TV trope had a deathproof TP, and they used the mod psych to confirm themselves. I didn't trust they were town after DP3.

And, I hammered you due to opportunity. (Yraelz was right about me not accidently hammering, although I did almost vote you accidently)
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2015 10:43:14 AM
At 5/31/2015 10:33:06 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Well...that was fun. LOL

XLAV, all he needed to do was post. Had he not flipped double voter, I probably still would have helped town.
HPG going after Daytona, was stupid as hell, especially when he knew there was another killing role.
Daytona, killing TN05 was an awful choice, both in target and in timing. Lynching you sealed town's fate.
Yama, is just Yama.
Also, comments like TPs are scum are bothersome.

For the record, I purposely fake claimed poorly, because I knew the hydra would have noticed my fake claim lynchproof, and I needed to be lynched. I thought mafia would have hopped on the fake guilty once Yama voted, then we'd be at LYLO, and I could be lynched (they were right about me choosing them because of Yama). But, seriously, FT, you should have seen there was likely a TP, and that player needed to be lynched (as the last game they needed to be shot). I mean seriously, how bad was that fake claim? LOL
Had you realized this, it would have forced me to be pro-town.

The reason I lied about the double vote was to expose the mafia (even though I knew who they were, although, I was unsure about Raisor and FT, due to last DP), and that would have forced them to keep me alive by no lynching today. Oh, well.

Trekkie, I don't think the mislynches were out of whack, as the double voter and the vig would have allowed for an extra lynch.

so khaos you chose to align with town after your lynch?
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2015 10:43:46 AM
After scanning the roles, HPG knew nothing of his new role, so to say he wasn't a tracker, which he, in fact, was, was stupid.

Seriously, why did no one think mafia targeted TN05 as well?
I think the only thing I got wrong this game was my early town read on ER, and my OMGUS read on FT/Y late in DP3.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2015 10:47:27 AM
At 5/31/2015 10:43:14 AM, Raisor wrote:

No, I was town, but by being lynched, I became joint-win survivor. This is why my fake claim was awful and why I faked a guilty on FT. To get him lynched, and then me lynched DP4. If it blew up in my face, I still thought mafia would side with me DP4, since together, the game was over, and I thought you'd let me live, since I clearly hammered the vig for you, thus, giving you the game on a silver platter.
After Daytona's talk about survivor not being scum DP1, I decided I'd show town a thing or two, especially after XLAV's play/flip. I do love being TP, after all.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2015 10:55:12 AM
At 5/31/2015 10:10:06 AM, YamaVonKarma wrote:
Solon, khaos... what the hell were you thinking?

What were you thinking?
I said I was TP in my post (well, heavily implied it), and you voted me anyway. That cost town the game.
Had you convinced me to town-side, town could have won.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2015 10:56:08 AM
At 5/31/2015 10:47:27 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

No, I was town, but by being lynched, I became joint-win survivor. This is why my fake claim was awful and why I faked a guilty on FT. To get him lynched, and then me lynched DP4. If it blew up in my face, I still thought mafia would side with me DP4, since together, the game was over, and I thought you'd let me live, since I clearly hammered the vig for you, thus, giving you the game on a silver platter.
After Daytona's talk about survivor not being scum DP1, I decided I'd show town a thing or two, especially after XLAV's play/flip. I do love being TP, after all.

Wait didn't you have to choose who you joint won with?

It's a mistake to think we'd let you live out of gratitude lol. I'm always going to try for a solo win over a joint win.

Idk why you thought we'd go in for the double vote anyways. That was pretty obviously bait. And town had the votes for your lynch anyways, no point relying on a player with their own agenda and trying to time a triple hammer.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2015 11:13:22 AM
At 5/31/2015 10:56:08 AM, Raisor wrote:

Wait didn't you have to choose who you joint won with?
No, I was a survivor.

It's a mistake to think we'd let you live out of gratitude lol. I'm always going to try for a solo win over a joint win.
I suppose.
Clearly, honor is not something prevalent in the mafia community.

Idk why you thought we'd go in for the double vote anyways. That was pretty obviously bait. And town had the votes for your lynch anyways, no point relying on a player with their own agenda and trying to time a triple hammer.

Well, you didn't go for the FT lynch as a group, did you?
Yeah, that makes sense, but, I was asleep. I even warned town, though, I could have been more explicit. Like I said, town played horribly, and I even asked trekkie to reverse my decision much too late, but, my bed was made. As I said, the goal was to get the lynch DP3 and lynch myself DP4.

For what may be my last game, I at least had fun. The most fun I've had in a long while, TBH. I banked poorly on the respect play, but, whatever. The hydra should have used meta and their imagination a bit more to avoid this.
I played well, and my reads were very good, as usual. I've done all I can to redeem my reputation.
trekie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2015 11:44:04 AM
I'm a little miffed for obvious reasons but it is what it is. Why did you fake the guilty on FT/Yraelz specifically though? I thought that choice in particular was a fatal mistake you should have seen coming from a mile away. I thought the backup plan of getting lynched and expecting mafia to no-lynch with you was downright delusional (or naive I suppose) from the beginning. But the faking a guilty could have worked out if you didn't go with the hydra.

I don't know what it is with XLAV and my games but he went uncharacteristically inactive in Transformers and Star wars EU too. Which eventually got him mislynched in both.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2015 11:53:38 AM

Why would we do that after you tried to bait us out with a fake double vote?
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2015 11:55:26 AM
At 5/31/2015 11:44:04 AM, trekie wrote:
I'm a little miffed for obvious reasons but it is what it is. Why did you fake the guilty on FT/Yraelz specifically though? I thought that choice in particular was a fatal mistake you should have seen coming from a mile away. I thought the backup plan of getting lynched and expecting mafia to no-lynch with you was downright delusional (or naive I suppose) from the beginning. But the faking a guilty could have worked out if you didn't go with the hydra.

I banked on mafia having three players, which I was right.
I banked on Yama voting them, which I was right.
I banked on them and Yama being town, which I was right.
I banked on the them exposing my inconsistencies, since I needed to be lynched.
I had two plausible attacks: the leaving at L-1, but still questioning Daytona, and FT's lynching a town read. Plus, the shadow town reads was stupid as hell.
I don't know why mafia didn't put two and two together, since they knew I was lying, and jump on lynching FT. That was my only miscalculation.

I don't know what it is with XLAV and my games but he went uncharacteristically inactive in Transformers and Star wars EU too. Which eventually got him mislynched in both.
I could be wrong, but I think he is spoiled. He generally gets active roles, and is almost always town. So, if he gets a "boring" role, I think he is less inclined to play. I could be wrong, though.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2015 11:55:56 AM
Khaos, I would loved to have joint-won with you as a reward for all your effort, but you a) already had two town votes on you, and b) I still needed to appear towny.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2015 11:57:17 AM
At 5/31/2015 11:53:38 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

I had to do something to expose you, even if I did know who you are.
All we had to do was no lynch today, then lynch whoever next DP.

Did you really think I was town?
It should have been obvious to mafia that I was scum siding TP. Why else would I hammer the vig so quickly?
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2015 12:00:46 PM
At 5/31/2015 11:55:56 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
Khaos, I would loved to have joint-won with you as a reward for all your effort, but you a) already had two town votes on you, and b) I still needed to appear towny.

You know who else had two town votes on them? FT, last DP. :/
With suspicious behavior and a guilty...

y u hate meh
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2015 12:03:10 PM
At 5/31/2015 11:57:17 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 5/31/2015 11:53:38 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

I had to do something to expose you, even if I did know who you are.
All we had to do was no lynch today, then lynch whoever next DP.

Did you really think I was town?
It should have been obvious to mafia that I was scum siding TP. Why else would I hammer the vig so quickly?

Actually, I kept telling them you were definitely TP. Raisor didn't believe it.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2015 12:07:04 PM
At 5/31/2015 12:03:46 PM, Yraelz wrote:
Damn, that play against the win con. Wow.

You know, I wrestled with that, TBH.
But, the first line in my PM was "third party". So, I felt justified. If only Daytona shot someone else, anyone else, I probably would have stayed true for town. As I said, it wasn't until I hammered DP2 that I decided to side with scum.
Yraelz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2015 12:14:29 PM
At 5/31/2015 11:44:04 AM, trekie wrote:
I'm a little miffed for obvious reasons but it is what it is.

I think the game was an auto after how Khaos started DP3. I actually can't think of a way for town to have won, when considering Raisor's role.