Jump to topic:

Post Apocalyptic Mafia

Preston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 11:02:20 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Background/Bio - This game of mafia will take place in a small town of survivors after a plague that killed off the vast majority of the world. After surviving you have joined forces with several other survivors to cultivate and survive in the wasteland. Then one day you find a mans corpse along the side of the road, its then when you realize its the town drunk. You wouldn't have taken a second look but his throat had been cut and his tongue pulled through his slit throat.

Role list :
Unlike most mafia games I have seen/played this game will contain a general list of roles that will be randomly assigned to individuals who participate, this will allow the town to better deduce who is mafia and/or a nuetral role.
-Town Leader x 1
-Town Support x 2
-Town Investigative x 2
-Town Killing x 1
-Town Supportive x 1
-Town Benign x 1
-Mafia Leader x 1
-Mafia Deception x 1
-Mafia Support x 1
-Neutral Benign x 1
-Neutral Killing x 1
-Random x 1

Play-style and Role use:
When playing this game you will have the following checklist that you must go down each Day/Night Phase.

1) Check First Thread for pertinent information
2) PM me to use/Activate Role (This must be done before the new thread is posted, so if you don't get it in during the discussion you can msg me while i prep the next day.)
3)Discuss with Village
4) Vote to Lynch (saying VTL [NAME] will suffice)

(OPTIONAL) If you with to PM someone during a discussion phase, you will place me in the PM, as a result the Participating parties must post "Begins Whispering to [Names in pm]". However Mafia may whisper whenever they want, so long as I am in the PM. Town will not be notified.

Restrictions:
-Do not Throw game
-Do not be a jerk
-Do not PM another player without me being in PM
-Do not go afk for a full round, I will not find replacements, you will be killed off.

Start Date: 6/8/15
Sorry for the later start I am prepping Roles, this is my first time hosting a mafia. Any suggestions for rules? pls pm!

Seeing as this game will have anywhere from 3 - 10 phases I am limiting Play days to weekdays (Mon-Fri). On the end phase on Friday you will only be able to activate abilities, DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING WITH ANYONE (Unless your role allows it). Phases will last 1 day, From 10am Central time TO 8:00am Central time.

1 )
2 )
3 )
4 )
5 )
6 )
7 )
8 )
9 )
10)
11)
12)
13)
14)
15)
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." - George Carlin
Preston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 11:08:59 AM
Actually, ignore this, i posted with incorrect title
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." - George Carlin
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 12:24:44 PM
lol
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 12:25:56 PM
At 6/2/2015 11:08:59 AM, Preston wrote:

A. You shouldn't list all the roles that are in the game. The only time that's ever reasonable is when there's a Werewolf in the game. This harms the mafia.

B. Did you properly go through the sign-ups?

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 12:28:07 PM
At 6/2/2015 12:25:56 PM, lannan13 wrote:

A. You shouldn't list all the roles that are in the game. The only time that's ever reasonable is when there's a Werewolf in the game. This harms the mafia.

I don't know that I agree with this, it both harms and helps both teams equally. At any rate, when signing up people would know it is open set up so they couldn't complain later that they got shafted unfairly.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 12:33:13 PM
At 6/2/2015 12:28:07 PM, TUF wrote:

I don't know that I agree with this, it both harms and helps both teams equally. At any rate, when signing up people would know it is open set up so they couldn't complain later that they got shafted unfairly.

With this set-up, I think it hurts scum much more, since any fake claim is immediately outed DP1 with a mass claim.
Compare this to, say, a game where there are four-six vanillas, and seven claim. There is room to mislynch more than a 1:1 trade.
My work here is, finally, done.
Preston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 12:38:04 PM

Wrong thread, and I posted to the signups, and I think its fair for town, especially with role picks that i have, it also leaves an any spot to add to confusion.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 12:38:09 PM

I know that, but I mean the only time that all the roles should be given out like that (not to this extent) as if there is a werewolf in the game that's TP. Outside of that it's unlikely.

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 12:38:41 PM
At 6/2/2015 12:38:04 PM, Preston wrote:

Wrong thread, and I posted to the signups, and I think its fair for town, especially with role picks that i have, it also leaves an any spot to add to confusion.

You told everyone what the roles are. You kinda already outed the scum.

Preston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 12:39:25 PM
At 6/2/2015 12:38:09 PM, lannan13 wrote:

I know that, but I mean the only time that all the roles should be given out like that (not to this extent) as if there is a werewolf in the game that's TP. Outside of that it's unlikely.

Well seeing as you cant identify roles due to any as well as you dont know actual roles yet this could mean 4 scum, 3 scum, ect.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 12:40:22 PM
At 6/2/2015 12:33:13 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

With this set-up, I think it hurts scum much more, since any fake claim is immediately outed DP1 with a mass claim.
Compare this to, say, a game where there are four-six vanillas, and seven claim. There is room to mislynch more than a 1:1 trade.

I may not be well qualified to pass judgement here, seeing as I don't know any of the roles included on his role list. Also now that I actually read the whole OP, your definitely right that this set up would be shady given as there are 14 open roles and 15 set up in the sign ups. It's one thing for two people to go for claiming one of the 2 roles that there are two of, but that puts the whole game into lynching between the two who claimed those roles, and automatically confirms at least one mafia. This game will com down to a mass claim DP1, and town deciding which of the CC's to lynch.

I was speaking more to Open role set ups in general, though I suppose that doesn't really apply here. Also if you are going to open set up, it is wise to have way more open roles to sign up spots.
Preston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 12:40:56 PM
At 6/2/2015 12:38:41 PM, lannan13 wrote:

You told everyone what the roles are. You kinda already outed the scum.

You are right though, this is siding more town, however human error will be what mafia use to win, dont worry, itll be fun, u should join
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 12:41:03 PM
At 6/2/2015 12:39:25 PM, Preston wrote:

Well seeing as you cant identify roles due to any as well as you dont know actual roles yet this could mean 4 scum, 3 scum, ect.

Though any fake claim would be easily ratted out.

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 12:41:07 PM

Have you played any open set up games before?
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 12:41:33 PM
At 6/2/2015 12:41:07 PM, TUF wrote:

Have you played any open set up games before?

No not really.

Preston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 12:43:35 PM
At 6/2/2015 12:41:33 PM, lannan13 wrote:

No not really.

I have, its great, you can actually find false claims and make factual false claims
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 12:44:03 PM

Preston, Mathematically your game will fail unless you include more open roles to sign up spots. You only have 14 roles open, and 15 spots. DP1 people can mass claim, and be confirmed. All the scum will be forced to claim either support or investigative right out of the gate, and the whole game will basically come down to a coin flip of who people want to lynch out of the character claimed options.
Preston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 12:47:25 PM
At 6/2/2015 12:44:03 PM, TUF wrote:

Preston, Mathematically your game will fail unless you include more open roles to sign up spots. You only have 14 roles open, and 15 spots. DP1 people can mass claim, and be confirmed. All the scum will be forced to claim either support or investigative right out of the gate, and the whole game will basically come down to a coin flip of who people want to lynch out of the character claimed options.

You havent attributed roles yet, Neutrals allow for claims on their roles, as well as well as the 1 any, remember this can cause confusion for town, or add to powers of mafia.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 12:52:05 PM
At 6/2/2015 12:47:25 PM, Preston wrote:

You havent attributed roles yet, Neutrals allow for claims on their roles, as well as well as the 1 any, remember this can cause confusion for town, or add to powers of mafia.

You don't understand, if mafia claim anything they are a target automatically if DP1 is a mass claim. Mafia can claim vig, and will instantly be CC'ed by the one other Town Killing classification. Instantly everyone has to focus their attention on one of the two claims. Or the 2x roles like investigative and support, narrows scum down to three. Is the game playable? Yes. Is it going to be fun? No. It's a Process of Elimination game that guarantees the town will win. Town could random lynch between the CC'ed individual each day phase, and still win if they were wrong once or twice. It takes all the fun out of mafia, because you are using anything to deduce who mafia are except for math and POE, rather than trying to analyze behavior.
Preston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 12:53:09 PM
At 6/2/2015 12:52:05 PM, TUF wrote:

You don't understand, if mafia claim anything they are a target automatically if DP1 is a mass claim. Mafia can claim vig, and will instantly be CC'ed by the one other Town Killing classification. Instantly everyone has to focus their attention on one of the two claims. Or the 2x roles like investigative and support, narrows scum down to three. Is the game playable? Yes. Is it going to be fun? No. It's a Process of Elimination game that guarantees the town will win. Town could random lynch between the CC'ed individual each day phase, and still win if they were wrong once or twice. It takes all the fun out of mafia, because you are using anything to deduce who mafia are except for math and POE, rather than trying to analyze behavior.

Play, guess we will see ;)
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 12:53:24 PM

Also there is only one neutral role, so the real person who doesn't fit into any of the other categories, is naturally going to out they are the neutral which also narrows that option out for mafia fake claims.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 12:55:49 PM
At 6/2/2015 12:53:09 PM, Preston wrote:

See what? Exactly what I told you will happen, will happen. DDO members are smart enough to mass claim DP1 knowing this set up. I guarantee you this game will not work out. At any rate, there is a mafia mod list you have to go through in order to host a game. Other people have to wait for months to host a game, you can't just jump in and host one out of no where! lol
Preston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 1:04:53 PM
At 6/2/2015 12:55:49 PM, TUF wrote:

See what? Exactly what I told you will happen, will happen. DDO members are smart enough to mass claim DP1 knowing this set up. I guarantee you this game will not work out. At any rate, there is a mafia mod list you have to go through in order to host a game. Other people have to wait for months to host a game, you can't just jump in and host one out of no where! lol

I wont allow you to play, but i will explain in pm
Preston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 1:05:44 PM
At 6/2/2015 12:53:24 PM, TUF wrote:

Also there is only one neutral role, so the real person who doesn't fit into any of the other categories, is naturally going to out they are the neutral which also narrows that option out for mafia fake claims.

also, the steps for being able to start hosting arent anything that was ever brought up when i spoke to others about hosting one.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 1:07:20 PM
At 6/2/2015 1:05:44 PM, Preston wrote:

also, the steps for being able to start hosting arent anything that was ever brought up when i spoke to others about hosting one.

http://www.debate.org...

Fair warning, it will be a few months before you will be able to start this game.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 1:10:05 PM
At 6/2/2015 1:04:53 PM, Preston wrote:
At 6/2/2015 12:55:49 PM, TUF wrote:

I wont allow you to play, but i will explain in pm

I am not trying to insult your intelligence, but how new are you to mafia? If this is your first game, I really reccomend playing some game first, or co-modding someone elses game first. It will give you a first hand look at how to balance mafia games. A good mod should see all the potential flaws in his game before setting it up. A lot of times people get too excited about the theme and want to get the game started ASAP without really thinking things through, and I fear that is the case with this game my friend. You've got a few months though to get it organized properly before your turn comes on the list. Really all you need to do is create more open role set ups in your sign ups.
Preston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 1:12:39 PM
At 6/2/2015 1:07:20 PM, TUF wrote:

Fair warning, it will be a few months before you will be able to start this game.

So what your saying is, when i was told stick your name on the hopper it meant, yea dont even try because we limmit what games go on and when? If it doesnt launch oh well, but im not going to avoid trying, it literally makes no sense to say, yea dont try hosting a game so no one can play because the other 2 are full. Ive played maf games on several other forums and only 1 here, and here is the only place ive run into so much over organization. Oh well if TUF would limit me i wont continue, feel free to take them down, Ill brand them as not TUF approved, oh and the layout is one that is great to do. ;) oh well
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 1:12:41 PM
At 6/2/2015 1:10:05 PM, TUF wrote:
Really all you need to do is create more open role set ups in your sign ups.

Pretty much.
Even if the list was "up to three investigation" "up to two killing" "up to two support", or whatever.
This way the actual roles are hidden AND mafia has wiggle room, as it isn't confirmed a player is automatically scum when two support roles claim.
Have 14 players and a possible 20 roles, makes it much more fair.
My work here is, finally, done.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 1:22:09 PM
At 6/2/2015 1:12:39 PM, Preston wrote:

So what your saying is, when i was told stick your name on the hopper it meant, yea dont even try because we limmit what games go on and when?

People have been playing mafia on this website for over 5 years. Naturally since then it has grown pretty big, and a lot of people are into it. There are a lot of people on the list as you saw, and the list moves very slowly. It doesn't mean you won't get a turn, just that it will be a while. I've waited on the list more times than most people. You've been on the site for a while though, so I don't think it will seem very long to you.

If it doesnt launch oh well, but im not going to avoid trying, it literally makes no sense to say, yea dont try hosting a game so no one can play because the other 2 are full. Ive played maf games on several other forums and only 1 here, and here is the only place ive run into so much over organization.

Have you played on sites as big on mafia as DDO, or mafiascum? It works a little differently on every site, I'm sure. Again the player pool here is big, and a lot of people here are pretty experienced, which is why the organization is needed.

Oh well if TUF would limit me i wont continue, feel free to take them down, Ill brand them as not TUF approved, oh and the layout is one that is great to do. ;) oh well

I'm not a mod of anything, I can't tell you what to do. If you want to host a game now, go ahead, but I wouldn't expect many people to sign up, and if they do , they should feel ashamed for doing it for all the people who have had to wait for months.
Preston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 1:24:34 PM
At 6/2/2015 1:22:09 PM, TUF wrote:
At 6/2/2015 1:12:39 PM, Preston wrote:

So what your saying is, when i was told stick your name on the hopper it meant, yea dont even try because we limmit what games go on and when?

People have been playing mafia on this website for over 5 years. Naturally since then it has grown pretty big, and a lot of people are into it. There are a lot of people on the list as you saw, and the list moves very slowly. It doesn't mean you won't get a turn, just that it will be a while. I've waited on the list more times than most people. You've been on the site for a while though, so I don't think it will seem very long to you.

If it doesnt launch oh well, but im not going to avoid trying, it literally makes no sense to say, yea dont try hosting a game so no one can play because the other 2 are full. Ive played maf games on several other forums and only 1 here, and here is the only place ive run into so much over organization.

Have you played on sites as big on mafia as DDO, or mafiascum? It works a little differently on every site, I'm sure. Again the player pool here is big, and a lot of people here are pretty experienced, which is why the organization is needed.

Oh well if TUF would limit me i wont continue, feel free to take them down, Ill brand them as not TUF approved, oh and the layout is one that is great to do. ;) oh well

I'm not a mod of anything, I can't tell you what to do. If you want to host a game now, go ahead, but I wouldn't expect many people to sign up, and if they do , they should feel ashamed for doing it for all the people who have had to wait for months.

Well if those "Waiting" put theres up i would certainly play! But since it is so limited Instead of looking down on people who want to play now instead of in several months, maybe we should look down on whoever set up the system to force people to wait months. obviously people want to play if there is such a long wait list.