Star Trek (Non-Mafia) Rules and Format

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2015 6:05:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
INTRO

I will use this thread to outline the rules for the Star Trek RP Game. If you have any question, feel free to inquire. This page will be important for the remainder of the game, so if you have queries, refer back here first.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2015 6:05:15 PM
FACTIONS

Players

There are going to be 12-13 factions in this game. I am hoping to find a 13th player, but if I can't, I'll proceed with 12, in which case I won't say which factions wasn't included. Each player will represent one military/political force in the Star Trek Universe. Players will all impersonate a senior/major character who represents/leads/controls their nation. All factions will also have between 1 and 3 starting planets/systems. A list of all factions, their corresponding characters, and planets is given here:

The Dominion, Female Changeling

Skrreea
The Omarion Nebula
Yadera Prime

The United Federation of Planets, President Jaresh-Inyo

Earth
Betazed
Trill

The Ferengi Alliance, Grand Nagus Zek

Ferenginar
Hupyrian
Volchok Prime

The Breen Confederacy, Domo Pran

Breen
Dozaria
Portas V

The Klingon Empire, Chancellor Martok

Qo'NoS
Khitomer
Rura Penthe

The Romulan Star Empire, Praetor Neral

Romulus
Remus
Chaltok IV

The Kazon Order, First Maje Jal Culluh

Ocampa
Gema IV
Tarok

The Borg Collective, The Borg Queen

Farn
Caatati
Parein

The Cardassian Union, Legate Corat Damar

Cardassia Prime
Septimus III
Torros III

The Hirogen, Alpha Karr

Hologram Platform

The Bajoran Republic, First Minister Shakaar Edon

Bajor

The Orion Syndicate, Boss Thadial Bokar

Orion

The Tzenkethi Coalition, Autarch Korzenten Raj Tov-AA

Tzenketh
M'kemas III

Allies

There will be 4 ally groups. Allying with anyone in your group will earn you a one-time bonus of 7,500 latinum bars, though to earn the bonus you must trade or fight together for 2 whole cycles. After that, alliances can be broken. If you break up and re-form an alliance, you cannot get the bonus twice. Due to my desire to keep these groups roughly equal, these groups are not strictly canonical, but (except for 4) are fairly close. Here are the groups:

Group 1: The Dominion, Cardassia, the Orion Syndicate
Group 2: Federation, Ferengi, Klingon, Bajor
Group 3: Romulan, Breen, Tzenkethi
Group 4: Kazon, Borg, Hirogen

Non-player Factions

There are 2 non-player factions in the game. Neither of which will operate offensively, but they will defend themselves if attacked. Each NPF controls 1 planet, and conquering them will give you access to an additional planet if you want it. NPFs do nothing except for protect their planet, but are designed to be weaker than any player in the game.

The non-player factions are the Sheliac Corporate and the Gorn Hegemony. The former controls the planet Shelia and the latter controls the planet Gorn. If two players attack these entities in the same night, and if both would've been successful, the planet will be awarded to the person who submitted their action first. Both players will still be assessed 1 action and will still suffer any losses they may have incurred.

GAMEPLAY

Cycles

The game will be organized into cycles, similar to Night Phases in mafia. I may also refer to cycles as "phases." Inactivity for one whole or one half of a cycle will result in an activity prompt. Inactivity for 2 whole cycles will result in a mod-kill. I will not be bothering with replacements.

Every phase/cycle players may communicate via PM with other players to build alliances, engage in trade, exchange information, etc. Players may even agree to jointly attack other players, etc. All PMs MUST include the mod (i.e. me). A cycle would last 60 hours.

In addition to these communications, players may take a variety of actions, from one of two list. Special actions would need to be submitted halfway into the cycle, while active special abilities and regular actions would be submitted at the end. Up to 2 special actions can be submitted and 3 regular actions are allowed per cycle, plus the usage of a special ability.

At the end of every cycle, a post will be made in the forums detailing some of the key things that occurred. Not all actions will be revealed, but big things (like a conquered planet) will be made public. There will be a pre-game stage that will allow players to position their forces. That will last 24 hours.

Actions

Players may take up to 2 special actions and 3 regular actions each cycle, with details on how to submit those actions given above. All actions are resolved at the end of the cycle, unless otherwise noted. Below is a list of the actions users may take:

Regular Actions

- Attack a Planet - Choose to attack a planet with an army or combination force
- Attack an Army- Choose to attack an army with an army or combination force
- Assign Forces (to a Planet or Army) - All planets must be defended by a force. Move forces from one planet to another to defend them.
- Recruit Troops - Invest money to recruit troops. The ratio is 1,000 bars of latinum to recruit 2,000 troops. 5,000 bars is the minimum investment. The troops will be added to your total by the end of the cycle.
- Build Ships - Invest money to recruit troops. The ratio is 1,000 bars of latinum to recruit 500 ships. 5,000 bars is the minimum investment. Must control a planet to build ships. The ships will be added to your total by the start of the next cycle.
- Build Planetary Defenses - Invest money to build planetary defenses. For every 10,000 bars of latinum invested, the defense stat for that planet increases by 1. Those stats cannot go above 9/10. Stats will be updated by the end of that cycle.

Special Actions

- Make an Investment - Each cycle there will be three investment opportunities with different (undisclosed) risks and returns. You can choose to invest in any option. All options cost 500 bars of latinum. They could be great ways to make money. All investment results will be announced within 2-3 Phases.
- Trade Supplies - Players can choose to exchange or gift troops, ships, money, or spies, to other players. Only two of these things can be traded by a player per phase. 2 traded items are still assessed as 1 action.
- Plant a Spy - Plant a spy in an enemy camp. You are not guaranteed information from the spy every night, but some information about their forces, resources, actions, etc. may be randomly provided to you. It costs 2,500 bars of latinum to hire a spy, and a player can only have 2 spies hired at once. A spy's contract ends after 3 phases.
- Raid a Convoy - Steal items traded by your target that cycle. If your target did not trade, your action will fail.
- Encourage Rebellion - Invest 15,000 bars of latinum to start a rebellion in another player's territory (you must specify the planet). For every 10,000 bars you invest, the rebellion's chances of success increase by 10%, with an initial success rate (with only the starting fee) at 20%. The success rate is capped at 50%. Rebellions will last until suppressed, and can retry to take a planet for you each night. After a planet is taken, you must apportion forces of your own to defend it. You may only be bankrolling up to two rebellions at any one time.
- Detect a Spy - Invest 10,000 bars of latinum to locate a spy in your operation. You will have a 50% chance of detecting and removing the spy.
- Suppress a Rebellion - Invest 15,000 bars of latinum to suppress a rebellion. For every 10,000 bars you invest, the chances of suppressing the rebellion increase by 20%. The initial success rate (with the initial fee) is 20%. The success rate is capped at 80%.

Abilities

Each player will have an ability unique to them. Only they will be told their abilities, though a spy may uncover the ability of a player. Abilities may be active or passive, and I designed them to roughly reflect the canon.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2015 6:05:30 PM
GAMEPLAY (cont'd)

Twists

Finally, there may be various twists throw at users. It is more likely than not that you won't be a victim of these, but they are meant to keep the game interesting. If a twist occurs, I will randomly select someone who will be impacted by it. So, I will determine if a twist occurs, and then the recipient of it. Here is a list of twists and their likelihood of transpiring at all:

50%- No Twist that Cycle
10%- Recession; Lose 5,000 bars of latinum each cycle for 3 cycles. All economic growth cancels.
10%- Morale Collapse; Lose 3,000 troops and 500 ships each phase for 3 phases. These troops will not be reassigned to other players.
10% - Pirate/Maquis Attacks - Any time you attempt to trade resources during the next 3 phases (including this one), your items have a 50% chance of be stolen and destroyed.
5% - Find a Latinum Mine; gain a one-time bonus of 10,000 bars of latinum
5% - Mutiny; 25% of one of your armies will desert to another player
5% - Pandemic; Lose 50% of your troops to disease in 1 cycle
5% - Energy Storm; Lose 50% of your ships to an energy storm in 1 cycle

STATS

Just a preliminary note, I tried to base player statistics off of the canon. But I also tried to give all players a fair starting position, though, no doubt, some players may have a more difficult starting time than others.

Attack/Defense

Players will have a variety of statistics that apply to them. They will have a defense stat and an attack stat that will apply to their forces, and they will have a planetary defense stat that applies to their planet's automated defenses.

Regardless, all of these statistics will be made known only to the player about whom they apply. However, spies may be able to steal this data. For the purposes of calculation, I've thought about how these stats will work. I have temporarily devised the following Microsoft excel equations, but if they're bad equations, I need to be informed now. I am not a math major, and if there is a better way to assess this, let me know.

Losses to the Attacker: (# of troops/ships attacking X attack stat) - (# of defenders X .50) - (randbetween(0,75))

Losses to the Defender: (# of troops/ships defending X defense stat) - (# of attackers X .50) - (randbetween(0,75))

Losses to an Attacker vs. a Planetary Defense Grid: (# of troops/ships attacking X attack stat) - (100 X planetary defense stat) - (randbetween(0,50))

Planetary defenses are defeated if any ships from the attacking force survive the assault on them. Each planet has its own starting defense stat. All stats are also decimals.

Each player will also have a starting number of ships and troops. No player will have fewer than 5,000 ships or more than 40,000. No player will have fewer than 10,000 troops or more than 95,000.

Economy

All players will start out with a certain amount of funds. Money in the Star Trek universe is in the form of gold-pressed latinum. So, money will be referred to as "bars of latinum" in this game. No player will have fewer than 5,000 bars to start, and no more than 85,000.

You will also have a fund growth rate. At the start of each cycle, you will receive a certain number of bars as a form of steady income. So, if your growth rate is 100, you will get 100 new bars each cycle. Growth rates will range between 250 and 2,000 bars.

OTHER

Each player must have at least one army not attached to a planet. No player may have more than 3 unattached armies. An army must at least be 1,000 troops, and 500 ships. Each planet must be defended by a planetary army. All ships or troops must be in an army.

To attack an army or a planet, simply say, attack planet [insert name], or player A's army no. [insert army number]. The number of armies each player has will be noted publicly at the end of each cycle, but the size of the army will not be made public in that way. When you attack an army, I assess it as ships vs. ships and troops vs. troops. Attacking an army attacks both the ships and troops attached to it. No army without a navy or vice versa can exist.

You can join with other players to form combined armies/combination forces. These forces count for .5 of your 3 armies. In combined forces, you average defense/offense statistics. The minimum size for a combined force is 1,250 troops and 750 ships.

Also, to capture a planet, a player must go through the ships in orbit, the automated defense system, and launch a successful land invasion. Though, a player may decide to go through the first two steps (in one cycle) and then position their forces in orbit for a later ground invasion. The ground assault need not be on the same night as the space assault.

Finally, players who are starting the game with 1 planet and who will have just 1 planet by the start of the 2nd cycle are immune to losing their planet for the 1st cycle only.

WIN CONDITION

The 2 players remaining win. It does not matter if the 2 final players are or were allies or not. It's just whoever is left at the end. Players are eliminated when their military forces AND their planets have been taken. Any funds remaining when a player was taken will be voided.

HELPFUL LINKS

Sign-Ups: http://www.debate.org...
Star Trek Canon Wiki: http://en.memory-alpha.wikia.com...
Star Trek Non-Canon Wiki: http://memory-beta.wikia.com...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2015 6:26:40 PM
PM LAYOUT

All PMs will be lain out in the following way, and will include a link to this page.

=====================

Welcome to the non-Mafia Star Trek Game! If you have any questions, let me know. Good luck!

Character:
Faction:

Ships:
Troops:
Defense Stats:
Attack Stats:

Starting Latinum:
Growth Rate:

Planets (w/ stats):

Ability

Key Things to Remember:

1. Be active! If you're inactive, I will prompt you. After 2 inactive cycles, I will mod-kill you.
2. You may send out your own PMs when the game begins, but you must include me in all PMs you send.
3. This is the pre-game period. You have 24 hours to assign your forces to armies and planets. For more on this, see the link.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2015 9:05:24 PM
PLAYER LIST

1. Number
2. HPG
3. Cyber
4. Eagle
5. Ford
6. Midnight
7. YYW
8. Skepsikyma
9. Harder
10. Saph
11. Dalt
12. AFism
13. Wylted

ADDENDUMS/CLARIFICATIONS

If you conquer a planet, you inherit that planet's defense stats divided by two.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 2:28:32 AM
RULES UP-DATE

The Formula

So, Ford saw some issues in the layout of my formulas. As a result of a very lengthy and thorough discussion, I've changed the formula to this:

ATK power = ATK army/fleet size * ATK STAT + randbetween(0,50% of fleet size)
DEF power = DEF army/fleet size * DEF STAT + randbetween(0,50% of fleet size)

If DEF Power is at all greater than ATK, ATK loses 100%, DEF loses 55%
If DEF Power is at all greater than ATK, ATK loses 90, DEF loses 45
If DEF Power is at all greater than ATK, ATK loses 70, DEF loses 35
If DEF Power is at all greater than ATK, ATK loses 50, DEF loses 25
If DEF Power is at all greater than ATK, ATK loses 30, DEF loses 15
If DEF Power is at all greater than ATK, ATK loses 10%, DEF loses 5%
If they're tied, both sides lose 5%
If ATK Power is at all greater than DEF, DEF loses 10%, ATK loses 5%
If ATK Power is 10-20% greater than DEF, DEF loses 30, ATK loses 15
If ATK Power is 30-40% greater than DEF, DEF loses 50, ATK loses 25
If ATK Power is 50-60% greater than DEF, DEF loses 70, ATK loses 35
If ATK Power is 70-80% greater than DEF, DEF loses 90, ATK loses 45
If ATK Power is 90-100% greater than DEF, DEF loses 100%, ATK loses 50%

Loses can also fluctuate up or down by 5% randomly. This is a bit more formulaic than I had intended it to be, but it is fair, I think. The other formulas I considered were:

ATK LOSSES = ((# of troops/ships attacking / attack stat) - ((# of troops/ships defending / # troops/ships attacking) / defense stat) - randbetween(0,50% of attackers)) / 10

DEF LOSSES ((# of troops/ships defending / defense stat) - ((# of troops/ships attacking / # troops/ships defending)/ attack stat) - randbetween(0,50% of defenders)) / 10

But those are not going to be used, as they would likely cause the game to drag on for too long. The first model is what will now be in use, unless there are further objections.

Retreats

I will also allow people to retreat from positions provided that (a) someone is willing to take it over, (b) that person can occupy the planet, and (c) the retreat has an articulable strategic goal behind it. Retreats will count as regular actions.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 11:48:10 PM
RULES UPDATE

Planetary Defenses

The planetary defense equation will be changed to: ((# of troops/ships attacking / attack stat) - (100 / planetary defense stat) - (randbetween(0,50)) /10

Also, both ships and troops attack the planetary defense systems.

Players

Cyber had to drop out, so Rev will be taking his spot.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 12:04:47 AM
CYCLE 1 INFORMATION

To attack a planet, or an army, simply say, "I want my army/armies to attack this planet/army." You know everyone's starting planets, and I note here the number of non-planetary armies each player has. I will not be identifying which players are which factions, however. Keep in mind that non-player factions are also viable targets.

Skep - 1
Harder - 2
YYW - 1
Saph - 1
Dalt - 2
Rev - 1
Eagle - 1
Ford - 3
Number - 2
Midnight - 2
Afism - 1
HPG - 1
Wylted - 3
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 2:39:42 PM
INVESTMENT OPPORTUNITIES, CYC1

Option A
Option B
Option C
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2015 1:17:54 AM
CYCLE 2 INFORMATION

To attack a planet, or an army, simply say, "I want my army/armies to attack this planet/army." You know everyone's starting planets, and I note here the number of non-planetary armies each player has. I will not be identifying which players are which factions, however. Keep in mind that non-player factions are also viable targets.

Also, a quick rules update: there is now a 30% chance that players won't know who attacked them.

Skep - 1
Harder - 2
YYW - 1
Saph - 1
Dalt - 2
Rev - 1
Eagle - 1
Ford - 3
Number - 2
Midnight - 2
Afism - 1
HPG - 1
Wylted - 1

UPDATE

The Klingon Empire conquered the Sheliak Corporate!
The Hirogen have been hit by economic recession.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics