8/1/2015 8:51:37 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Mafia wins!

Table of Contents
Post 1: Set-up
Post 2: Balance & Noteworthy Stuff

Town
Generation 1:
Daytona/Endark- Oifey, you may be only 14 years of age, but you are a brilliant strategist. As Sigurd"s "personal advisor", you command the troops keeping in mind not just the end goals of the mission, but also the lives of the soldiers. You are VANILLA. You win with the town.

Hoppi- You"re everybody"s favorite axe user, Lex. You"re the Doctor, and you win with the town. Self-doctoring is A-OK.

Bullish- Lord Sigurd of Chalphy, you are the fiery main protagonist of the game. Saving the day, blazing through battle after battle, you"re mostly the typical blue-haired lord of the series. Mostly. Unlike other lords of the series, however, you start out incredibly overpowered and continue to maintain this reputation throughout your lifetime. Since you keep the gang (and the player"s sanity) intact, you are GLUE. Each night, choose one player. They become glued to you, making them invulnerable to actions from players outside the glue, but unable to affect anyone outside the glue. This includes kills, and any TP actions (if applicable). Try not to burn up from the pressure. You win with the town.

Yama- You are the noble Ayra. A lethal swordsman, you do what it takes to protect your brother, Shanan. As a VANILLA, you win with the town.
(Mod note: I screwed that one up. They"re not siblings :/ Luckily, that slip-up didn"t have a discernable effect upon the game)

Saph- The girl of the Spirit Forest, you are Deirdre, and you fall in love with Sigurd at first sight. No, you"re not the Lover; that would be way too straightforward and simple. Instead, since you really don"t bring much to the table in terms of the gameplay itself, you are VANILLA. You win with the town.

XLAV- One of the feelsiest characters in the game, you are Tailto. While on the surface, you"re a bright and bubbly character, inside, you feel insecure and worried, and eventually succumb to depression. You win with the town, and you"re vanilla.

Preston- You"re Azel, the mage-iest mage of them all. You"re vanilla, and you win with the town.

Mittens- You"re Adean, and you are vanilla. You"re town.

Generation 2:
Daytona/Endark - You"re still Oifey. You"re the doctor. Choose one player each night and protect them from any lethal actions. You still win with the town.

Bullish- You are now Seliph. Years after your father"s death, you lead the charge to restore sanity to Grannvale and avenge Sigurd"s death. You are a Cop. Choose one player each night; their affiliation will be revealed to you. You still win with the town.

Saph- You are now Arvis, Emperor of Grannvale. You realize too late that you were played for a fool by the evil Manfroy, who has used you to resurrect the Dark Lord through your son. You then decide to help Seliph, blocking child sacrifices and sending him the holy weapon Tyrfing. However, some sins can"t be forgiven. You still killed his father and married his mother, and due to his quest for vengeance, you are the Miller. You will show up as guilty on cop reports. You still win with the town.

XLAV- You're now Ulster, you"re vanilla, and you still win with the town.

Preston- You are now Julia, daughter of Arvis and Deirdre. You"re vanilla, and you still win with the town.

Mittens- You"re Larcei, the vanilla, and you still win with the town.

Scum
Generation 1:
TUF- You are Manfroy, the mastermind behind the whole plan to resurrect the dark god Loptousu. Manipulative and handy with a tome, you are the one who orchestrates everything behind the scenes. As such, you are the MASTERMIND. If the mafia wins, you win in their place. In the Mafia PM, I have given you the character of Travant. The role given to you there is also your role, but your win con here is the valid one. Oh, and by the way, you can 1x Reveal someone"s affiliation to the entire town by typing in THIS PM "Reveal [player name]" at any time; DP or NP. Get creative with that one.
(In the mafia PM) - You are Travant, King of Thracia. You desire to make your beloved country a wonderful place, no matter the cost. With this in mind, you massacre Quan and Ethlyn"s army in cold blood. Due to the strength of your ideals and your planning that goes along with it, you are the VOTE THIEF. You may choose one player each night and steal their vote from them. Note that you do not actually gain their vote for yourself. You win with the mafia.

Flail- You are Arvis, duke of Velthomer. You desire to create a peaceful world, but you prove the notion that all bad things arise from good intentions--for example, massacring Sigurd"s entire army. That was pretty nasty. Because of your leadership position, you are the GODFATHER. You appear innocent on cop reports (if any cop exists), and you have the final authority on the NK. As well, you are the 1x Judge. You may end a DP instantly and lynch a player of your choosing by bolding "Judge [player name]" in the DP. You win with the mafia.

Wylted- You are Kinbois, prince of Verdane. You are not above opportunistic invasions and hostage holding to ensure the dominance of Verdane in the world. As your battle tactics vary, you are the mafia JOAT. You possess the following abilities- 1x Governor (end a DP in a no lynch; tell me in the PM), 1x Roleblocker (cannot be used NP1). You win with the mafia.

Generation 2:
Flail - You are now Julius, son of Arvis and Deirdre. You're now the roulette JOAT. You'll receive a different night action for use each night. You still win with the mafia.

Wylted - You are Danan, oppressive ruler of Isaach. You're a 1x Lawyer and a 1x Framer. You still win with the mafia.

TUF - You are still Manfroy. You're a goon, and you still win with the mafia.

NIght Actions:
NP1-
Bullish glues Wylted
Hoppi docs Wylted (failed)
TUF vote steals Wylted (failed)
Wylted kills Bullish
TUF reveals his affiliation

NP2-
Wylted roleblocks Hoppi
Hoppi docs Wylted (failed)
Wylted kills Hoppi

NP3-
Flail kills Yama

NP4-
Flail kills Saph
Wylted auto-governors the DP

NP6-
Endark docs XLAV
Flail dances (allows Wylted to use 2 different actions in one night)
Wylted lawyers himself
Wylted frames Preston
Bullish cops Endark (innocent)
Flail kills Bullish

NP7-
Endark docs XLAV
Flail roleblocks Preston
Flail kills Saph

NP8-
Flail strongmans Mittens
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 8:55:14 PM
Balance Notes

This is the part most of you will probably be most interested in or argumentative about.

I"ll start off by saying that Generation 1 was completely and intentionally bastard. Town was supposed to lose that one badly, getting maybe 1 correct lynch off in the best scenario. At the beginning of the game, I gave the mafia a list of all the roles in the game and what characters they went with. Coupled with some ridiculously powerful roles, they had a significant advantage. Originally, this was supposed to be balanced out by the Mastermind, but TUF was not of a mind to play to his win con. The game ended up balanced anyway, though, just by nature of the behavioral reads that could be easily generated in Gen 2. The intent of the game was that players would generate reads in Generation 1, correlate them to flips and roles revealed in Gen 2, and find their way to victory in that manner. It"s unorthodox, but it worked very well--I think the town lynching Wylted, who had claimed cop, is a testament to that.

Most of the challenge in balancing the game came from figuring out how to revive a bunch of townies without annihilating the scum team immediately. The universal janitor along with not reviving NKs was my solution to that problem. Of course, I would have been in trouble had town ended every DP in a no lynch, but I think the assumption that lynches will occur in a game of Mafia isn"t unreasonable. I gave town 1 mislynch before LYLO in Gen 2, giving them 3 mislynches and 1 no lynch overall before LYLO, well above the norm, which I hoped would also be a boon to town in the second generation. I also probably would have given Bullish a 1x BP hidden to him but known to the mafia during Gen 1 in order to give town a bit more of a shot.

One thing I hadn"t banked on was Bullish dying on NP6. At the time, he was the only confirmed townie in the game. I expected that either the Doc would protect him or the mafia wouldn"t target him out of fear of protection. This left town at a disadvantage in Gen 2. If I could redo the game, I would have made someone the backup cop. I also would have shortened Gen 1 from 5 DPs to 3--the game was a little long for most people"s tastes.

On the subject of mod errors--I made about the same number of them as I did in Ail to the Chief, but the difference in this game is that I didn"t let them affect the gameplay. Not much else to say about that.

This could be my last crazy game. In the future, I"m going to open my games up to choices (yeah, I"m ripping off Bsh), ranging from near-vanilla to downright bastard. In any case, I think I"m done with third-parties for good, unless I find something that seems A) enjoyable and B) not game breaking.

I hope you enjoyed this game. Stay tuned for more zaniness" or normalcy. I don"t know what people will go for by the time I"m back at the top of the sign-ups list again.

Some noteworthy things:
DP1:
TUF instantly told the mafia that he was Mastermind. Luckily, since the game was set up so that town was almost guaranteed to initially lose, their cooperation did not hurt a lot in the grand scheme of things. As well, since the Mastermind was balanced for 4 scum instead of 3, it gave the scum team a needed boost. It also taught me not to put characters with any third win con into my future games if they win over another team. Coupled with my distrust of SK and Arsonist, my TP days are probably over.

DP3:
All the fake claims had me hysterical. First Preston, and then Yama. Under normal circumstances, they wouldn"t be bad, but Preston bluffed a bit too much and got himself killed for it.

Overall, town ended DPs way too fast. Town can only benefit by taking all the time they are given. Even LYLO ended within a day.

I don"t really have an MVP for this game. I feel like all the scum did fairly equally well with regards to either being townread or scheming. Mittens performed surprisingly well, helping to turn the lynch onto Wylted. Bullish probably would have been town MVP if he didn"t die early on in the second gen.
SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 9:22:18 PM
Also, XLAV was completely playing to his "YOU IDIOTS WHY DON'T YOU TOWN READ ME" town meta, while Flail was super-lurky, so I found the end result of this game rather sad. Preston has gotten himself into literally the worst possible situations for a newb in these past two games. I suppose it just goes to show why we have a Beginners' Series. All things considered, though, the newbs didn't do too terribly. They DID manage to catch Wylted, after all.

RIP Preston
? - 2015
Torn apart by the DDO mafia community.
Flail
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 10:01:56 PM
At 8/1/2015 9:22:18 PM, SolonKR wrote:
Also, XLAV was completely playing to his "YOU IDIOTS WHY DON'T YOU TOWN READ ME" town meta,

The problem with that play style is bullying the game makes for really bad feelings when said player rolls scum.

Preston exposed himself as town, the town players should have recognized that instead of trying to bully through the game.

Wylted and TUF put one over on town from the start, the town leaders should have recognized that instead of reading town as scum and being a bully to force the lynch.

I was most worried about Yama and Saph, I think they played the better town games. Preston did a great job considering he was under pressure from town the whole game.
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 10:16:16 PM
http://www.debate.org...
This play is lazy as hell and is more anti-town than ANYTHING I have ever done as town. Thinking like this (not lynching Flail) is exactly why town lost this one.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 10:24:09 PM
And I'ma just leave this here: http://www.debate.org...

Few things about this game:
- Nothing about the end of DP1 wasn't suspicious and this highlights why you should not trust anyone who claims cop that early
- I saw almost no thought given to the fact that I was nk'd the DP after I said we should lynch Flail. WTF was with that?
- TUF was hilariously horrible scum
- GG Wylted and Flail
TUF, and YYW
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 10:26:54 PM
GG peeps. I apologize to anyone I offended in the process of this game. Had to get people psychologically to want my lynch, so they would feel more confident in the Wylted confirmation. You piss people off, and then they find out they were right about you is only a way to further their thoughts of the other player.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 10:27:56 PM
Not a big fan of the late game twists, but they is what they is. Wish more games were just aimed towards simple Mafia VS town with little mod intervention, but that's kind of how games on DDO tend to go these days.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 10:29:31 PM
At 8/1/2015 10:24:09 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:

Which is why we lost huh? Cry harder! :D
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 10:34:34 PM
At 8/1/2015 10:29:31 PM, TUF wrote:

This will be my final post addressing you, as my words are wasted upon filth.
TUF, and YYW
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 10:38:10 PM
Hmm... no. Filth doesn't work. I reserve that for YYW.
I need to come up with something else.
TUF, and YYW
Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 10:53:41 PM
At 8/1/2015 10:16:16 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:
This play is lazy as hell and is more anti-town than ANYTHING I have ever done as town. Thinking like this (not lynching Flail) is exactly why town lost this one.

Nope. Being those any one of those 4 people is more anti-town than anything anyone could do. They were all town by the way.
0x5f3759df
Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 10:57:20 PM
My posts after the last DP ended:

I'd suggest people don't read retarded posts so they don't get distracted from the ones that actually matter.

I wouldn't say that I would have been the MVP. I would have resisted a Wylted lynch until LyLo perhaps. XLAV is being underrated as usual.
0x5f3759df
Flail
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 11:03:09 PM
Bullish, I think you might be on my side now concerning forcing outs as standard gameplay.

Your role was the lynchpin, finding it put scum at a monster advantage. Nothing wrong with your play, just the typical play where everyone outs is a terribad idea for town.
Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 11:06:45 PM
At 8/1/2015 11:03:09 PM, Flail wrote:
Bullish, I think you might be on my side now concerning forcing outs as standard gameplay.

Your role was the lynchpin, finding it put scum at a monster advantage. Nothing wrong with your play, just the typical play where everyone outs is a terribad idea for town.

What do you mean forcing outs? As in role claims?

I came into this site very opposed to DP1 role claims because of SOP from other sites, but have since eased on that. I'm probably more opposed to claiming than most players on DDO though.
0x5f3759df
MisterMittens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 11:42:04 PM
I think my biggest mistake was that super fast lynch no EndarkenedRationalist.
I was on a lynch high after Wylted.
And seriously.
EndarkenedRationalist almost didn't exist the entire game.
And then he had the gall to FOS me.
D:<
Moral of the story.
FOS MisterMittens.
Get lynched.
I'm handsome. Whoever disagrees with me can go die in a deep, dark hole.
MisterMittens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 11:50:33 PM
I think if TUF didn't confirm himself, the game might have been just that much more difficult.
In Gen 2, we lynched two maffers in a row.
And then we lynched EndarkenedRationalist.
And then we lynched XLAV.
And gg
Two mislynches.
Basically we had to lynch 3 maffers in four days.
75% accuracy.
Kind of hard really. Town was at a pretty big disadvantage. Again, if TUF hadn't revealed himself and made it easy to lynch him again for gen 2, I think town's situation would've been even worse than it already is.
But even with TUF's reveal, 75% lynch accuracy is kind of expecting much.
Idk.
My opinion.
Not even going to talk about gen 1. That was horribly maf-sided in almost every single way. XD
But overall.
Fun game. I enjoyed it. 6/10 would play again.
MisterMittens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 11:55:12 PM
At 8/1/2015 10:29:31 PM, TUF wrote:

Why did you reveal yourself? O______O
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 12:01:27 AM
At 8/1/2015 10:57:20 PM, Bullish wrote:

I wouldn't say that I would have been the MVP. I would have resisted a Wylted lynch until LyLo perhaps. XLAV is being underrated as usual.

I'm pretty sure I would have gotten MVP if I wasn't a dck to Preston, lol.
MisterMittens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 12:02:33 AM
Actually.
Now that I think about it.
This setup was kind of unbalanced.
Regardless of who we lynched or didn't lynch in gen 1, they'd be brought back to life gen 2
So in gen 2, we'd still end up in the same scenario.
3 maffers + 6 townies
Even 3 maffers 7 townies would've had the same result

Townie literally only had 1 single mislynch to work with.
With 3 maffers on the table, only having 1 single mislynch was recipe for maffer-win.
TUF WHY DID YOU CONFIRM YOURSELF?! I DON'T UNDERSTAND?!?!?! OMGOMGOMGWTF?!
MisterMittens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 12:06:58 AM
At 8/2/2015 12:01:27 AM, XLAV wrote:

It's k bruh.
Preston was like
Universal scumread x9001 for the majority of the game.
He's easy to scumread.
I blame myself. TAT
Empathy! Empathy!!!
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 12:08:12 AM
At 8/2/2015 12:06:58 AM, MisterMittens wrote:
At 8/2/2015 12:01:27 AM, XLAV wrote:

It's k bruh.
Preston was like
Universal scumread x9001 for the majority of the game.
He's easy to scumread.
I blame myself. TAT
Empathy! Empathy!!!

Yeah, but he improved his play near endgame that convinced me he's town.
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 12:09:03 AM
At 8/2/2015 12:02:33 AM, MisterMittens wrote:

Its called bussing.

Notice how Wylted gained a sh*tload of town cred from that game.
MisterMittens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 12:09:20 AM
At 8/2/2015 12:08:12 AM, XLAV wrote:
Yeah, but he improved his play near endgame that convinced me he's town.

He still hammered you over flail.
^0^
lololololol
MisterMittens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 12:10:58 AM
At 8/2/2015 12:09:03 AM, XLAV wrote:

Its called bussing.

I personally think that the bus was too convoluted. Sacrificing a maffer for a bus. I mean come on. I can udnerstand bus FOS, but self-death Bus is kind of
Icky.
And Wylted got lynched anyway.
So.
Idk.
Differences in opinions I guess
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 12:17:10 AM
At 8/2/2015 12:09:03 AM, XLAV wrote:

Its called bussing.

That's part of it but there were other reasons. I also wanted mafia to win, and I was third party and Solon said mafia would gain a cool ability if the mastermind was killed.
MisterMittens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 12:27:24 AM
At 8/2/2015 12:17:10 AM, TUF wrote:
Solon said mafia would gain a cool ability if the mastermind was killed.

Subjective.
Tricking a maffer to self-destruct.
Bastard modding at its finest.
No offense modder.
The game was fun nonetheless! :3
SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 12:33:53 AM
Actually.
Now that I think about it.
This setup was kind of unbalanced.
Regardless of who we lynched or didn't lynch in gen 1, they'd be brought back to life gen 2
So in gen 2, we'd still end up in the same scenario.
3 maffers + 6 townies
Even 3 maffers 7 townies would've had the same result

Townie literally only had 1 single mislynch to work with.
With 3 maffers on the table, only having 1 single mislynch was recipe for maffer-win.

Actually, if Flail or Wylted had died, they would have stayed dead. TUF reviving as a goon was the gift the mafia got for killing the mastermind, and it also kept the revived people from looking confirmed town as a whole.
Regardless, you had a lot more than 1 mislynch. You had the no lynch and 2 mislynches in Gen 1, followed by 2 mislynches in Gen 2 before GG. I followed the traditional rule of mislynches >= number of scum for Gen 2 (TUF didn't count in this case because he was confirmed scum) to make sure you had ample time to figure out the mafia.
Flail
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 12:35:08 AM
At 8/1/2015 11:59:05 PM, Bullish wrote:
I request a scum PM screen shot.

I don't know how to do it .. Does anyone?