A New Idea for a Game

The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2015 12:48:01 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Introduction:
Hello all! Since I see no better alternative for setting this thread in motion, I will jump straight to it.

I was sitting in Senior Seminar yesterday, doing nothing (I mean, what else is school good for?), and I got bored..... Well, even more bored than I already was, so what did I do? I got my brother and 2 of my friends together, and we began researching random things on Wikipedia. While this is very amusing in and of itself and undoubtedly appeals to all of the great minds on this website, I began thinking: "How could I make this better?"

Well, after about 0.05 seconds of thought, I decided that I could create a game out of Wikipedia. You begin with a randomly assigned article, and you have to end up on another completely random article the Moderator's choosing. As the search for random articles progressed, my confidence in my ingenuity deflated a little bit when I stumbled across this one: https://en.wikipedia.org... .

However, this pride-reducing, self-esteem-lowering article gave me hope; it outlined the basic rules for the game I had in mind. So without further ado, I propose a new mostly-PM-based game for DDO: The Wikipedia Game.

Basic Set-Up:
The DDO Wikipedia Game will have anywhere from 8 to 12 participants, along with a moderator and a co-moderator.

To help better convey my idea, I will provide an outline of what I intend for the sign-up roster to be like.

Moderator: VoT
Co-Moderator: SomeRandom_NAm3

Researchers:

Very basic in nature; nothing special about it.

Once the sign-ups are filled, the Mod or Co-Mod will create a Game Thread, which will state the rules of the game along with a list of the participants.

After the Game Thread is up, the Mod (or Co-Mod) will send out PMs to all researchers. The opening message must adhere to the following the basic requirements:

1) The message must be sent to the Mod, Co-Mod and a single participant.
2) The Message contains a brief recap of the rules of the game (which will be explained later).
3) The message includes the name of and a link to the Beginning Article and the Ending Article.
4) A link to the Game Thread.

Rules:
Once this is done, the researchers will have a set amount of time to find the Ending Article from the Beginning Article. To ensure cheating does not occur, all participants must provide the names of all articles used to reach the Ending Article in order. This must be in the same message when they claim to have reached the end. The Mod or Co-Mod will then go to the Beginning Article and click on the links that the participant claims to have clicked on.

The first person to submit a correct path wins that round. There will be 5 rounds. If a researcher fails to submit a path before the submission deadline, there will be no other penalty than their lack of potential victory of that round.

There can be variations of this game, such as a click-count competition, or where the researchers compete to be the first to reach "Jesus" (or whatever) in a certain amount of clicks within a time limit, etc.

That is basically it. If you have any opinions about this, feel free to say it. If you have any suggestions, I am open to them.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
TS-387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2015 1:01:28 PM
At 9/30/2015 12:48:01 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
Introduction:
Hello all! Since I see no better alternative for setting this thread in motion, I will jump straight to it.

I was sitting in Senior Seminar yesterday, doing nothing (I mean, what else is school good for?), and I got bored..... Well, even more bored than I already was, so what did I do? I got my brother and 2 of my friends together, and we began researching random things on Wikipedia. While this is very amusing in and of itself and undoubtedly appeals to all of the great minds on this website, I began thinking: "How could I make this better?"

Well, after about 0.05 seconds of thought, I decided that I could create a game out of Wikipedia. You begin with a randomly assigned article, and you have to end up on another completely random article the Moderator's choosing. As the search for random articles progressed, my confidence in my ingenuity deflated a little bit when I stumbled across this one: https://en.wikipedia.org... .

However, this pride-reducing, self-esteem-lowering article gave me hope; it outlined the basic rules for the game I had in mind. So without further ado, I propose a new mostly-PM-based game for DDO: The Wikipedia Game.

Basic Set-Up:
The DDO Wikipedia Game will have anywhere from 8 to 12 participants, along with a moderator and a co-moderator.

To help better convey my idea, I will provide an outline of what I intend for the sign-up roster to be like.

Moderator: VoT
Co-Moderator: SomeRandom_NAm3

Researchers:
1. TS

Very basic in nature; nothing special about it.

Once the sign-ups are filled, the Mod or Co-Mod will create a Game Thread, which will state the rules of the game along with a list of the participants.

After the Game Thread is up, the Mod (or Co-Mod) will send out PMs to all researchers. The opening message must adhere to the following the basic requirements:

1) The message must be sent to the Mod, Co-Mod and a single participant.
2) The Message contains a brief recap of the rules of the game (which will be explained later).
3) The message includes the name of and a link to the Beginning Article and the Ending Article.
4) A link to the Game Thread.

Rules:
Once this is done, the researchers will have a set amount of time to find the Ending Article from the Beginning Article. To ensure cheating does not occur, all participants must provide the names of all articles used to reach the Ending Article in order. This must be in the same message when they claim to have reached the end. The Mod or Co-Mod will then go to the Beginning Article and click on the links that the participant claims to have clicked on.

The first person to submit a correct path wins that round. There will be 5 rounds. If a researcher fails to submit a path before the submission deadline, there will be no other penalty than their lack of potential victory of that round.

There can be variations of this game, such as a click-count competition, or where the researchers compete to be the first to reach "Jesus" (or whatever) in a certain amount of clicks within a time limit, etc.

That is basically it. If you have any opinions about this, feel free to say it. If you have any suggestions, I am open to them.

Why not make it based on number of pages you have to go through instead of how fast you can do it? Wouldn't that leave anyone not in your timezone (e.g asleep when you post the beginning/ending article or at school etc.) at a disadvantage?
MST_SlGNATURE_31803
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2015 2:20:41 PM
At 9/30/2015 1:01:28 PM, TS-387 wrote:

Note my saying "There can be variations of this game, such as a click-count competition, or where the researchers compete to be the first to reach "Jesus" (or whatever) in a certain amount of clicks within a time limit, etc." So this won't be an issue.

The minimum time limit will be 24 hours, which means that there will be no disadvantages. Time zones will be taken into consideration.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2015 1:14:24 PM
Bump.
Suh dude