Total Posts:58|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Civilization Mafia Endgame

ford_prefect
Posts: 4,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2015 10:43:53 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Town wins.

Town

TheDebater101
Character: Stealth
Role: Hider. Each night, you may visit a player. If the player is not town, you die. If the player is town, then any actions that target you that night will fail. If the player you hide behind dies, you also die. You win with the town.

Yama
Character: Drama
Role: Actor. You can only vote when hammering a player. If you attempt to place a vote at anything other than L-1, you will be modkilled. You win with the town.

Lannan
Character: Meditation
Role: Ascetic. You are immune to all night actions except for kills. You win with the town.

Airmax
Character: Optics
Role: Watcher. Once each night, you may target any player. You learn which players visited that player during the night. You win with the town.

Beginner
Character: Code of Laws
Role: 1x Governor. Once per game, you may cancel a lynch. When you do this, the day ends in a no-lynch. You need to submit this action before I post the player's flip. You win with the town.

Solon
Character: Hunting
Role: Hunter. If you are lynched, you may choose another player to die. You win with the town.

Seventh
Character: Railroad
Role: 1x Commuter. Once per game, you may commute. On the night you commute, you cannot be targeted by any actions. You win with the town.

Khaos
Character: Medicine
Role: Doctor. Once each night, you may visit a player. That player is protected from night kills. You win with the town.

Zaradi
Character: Gunpowder
Role: Bomb. If you are killed at night, you kill anybody who visited you that night. You win with the town.

Mafia
Wylted
Character: Bronze Working
Role: 1x Tree Stumper. Once per game, you may visit a player. That player permanently loses their role.

Sapphique
Character: Education
Role: Role Cop. Each night, you may visit a player. You learn that player's role.

Famous Debater
Character: Banking
Role: Bookie. Each night, you may name one player. If that player is lynched the following day, you gain a 1x kill. You may gain multiple kills in this way, but you cannot hold more than one at a time. The kills can only be used at night.
ford_prefect
Posts: 4,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2015 10:47:51 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Night Actions:

N1
Debater101 forfeits
Airmax Watch Khaos
Sapphique Role Cop Khaos, Kill Airmax
FamousDebater Bookie Zaradi
Seventh Commutes
Khaos Doctor Khaos

N2
Debater101 forfeits
Sapphique Role Cop Beginner (wtf)
FamousDebater Bookie Solon, Kill Zaradi (WTF?)
Khaos Doctor Beginner (ironic)
ford_prefect
Posts: 4,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2015 11:02:51 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Mafia MVP:
Wylted by default. It's sad that I have to give this to him, because he died on DP1 after falling for Khaos' fairly transparent trap. Sapphique and famousdebater were no-shows, and even after his death, Wylted was giving the orders in the PM. Not his best game, though he had very little to work with, in terms of partners.

Town and overall MVP:
Khaos had accurate reads and managed to lead the few active town players to lynch scum on 2 out of 3 days. His trap on day one shouldn't have worked, but it somehow caught scum. Khaos' play was one of the lone bright spots in this game.

WTF moment of the game:
Wylted outing himself on day one. I get what he was going for, and Khaos was right when he analyzed the motives later on, but I don't see how Wylted fell for it to begin with. Especially considering Khaos is KNOWN for pulling stuff like that. He didn't even wait to use his 1x Tree Stump, which was supposed to be a huge asset to the scum team. A close second would be the decision to NK Zaradi when he was a prime mislynch target the next day.

I have very little to say about this game. Balance is hard to analyze with this kind of inactivity. I decided not to allow replacements after the game started, partly because of it was affecting both teams, partly because I didn't want people to analyze town/scum affiliation based on the order of replacement, and partly because I hope this game serves as a wakeup call of sorts to the community. If we want to keep playing mafia here, things need to change. Holding people accountable for playing games they sign up for is a must.

I hope those of you who actively participated were able to derive at least some enjoyment from the game.
SolonKR
Posts: 4,032
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2015 11:05:55 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
THE WIN STREAK HAS ENDED! HALLELUJAH! REJOICE!
...though it's too bad it had to occur under these circumstances.
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2015 11:18:36 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
OMFG! A TOWN WIN!

I am shocked.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2015 11:36:18 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I was hoping Zaradi was the cop. He soft claimed a power role early on, and randomly got suspicious of Solon, so I thought we could predict Solon's death the next day and get some extra NKs. Khaos's analysis was spot on the entire game, and it had to be very hard to deal with Beginner's stubborness. Khama looked scary good, from my perspective, not from the trickery aspect, but from the analysis part.
Beginner
Posts: 4,292
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2015 11:56:34 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
My awesome tunneling tunneliness of tunnelidom.
And oh my God Khaos. I have no words. XD
Senpai has noticed you.
Beginner
Posts: 4,292
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2015 12:00:48 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Khaos was definitely MVP.
Allow me to bow to you, my good sir. For dealing with my sh*t and for playing an amazing and accurate game overall.
Senpai has noticed you.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2015 12:01:12 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
The town was absurdly overpowered. Watcher, Doc, Judge, Vengeful that doesn't die, two commuters, a bomb, a governor. There is literally no way scum could have won this.
Beginner
Posts: 4,292
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2015 12:01:32 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/26/2015 11:36:18 PM, Wylted wrote:
I was hoping Zaradi was the cop. He soft claimed a power role early on, and randomly got suspicious of Solon, so I thought we could predict Solon's death the next day and get some extra NKs. Khaos's analysis was spot on the entire game, and it had to be very hard to deal with Beginner's stubborness. Khama looked scary good, from my perspective, not from the trickery aspect, but from the analysis part.

Yeah you letting yourself get killed for those extra NK's. Wtf? x___x
Senpai has noticed you.
Beginner
Posts: 4,292
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2015 12:02:56 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
General apologies to everyone who I directly or indirectly insulted in game. Apparently, I'm an asshoIe when I play forum mafia. xo
I just have a really bad tendency to fault people for the littlest things that always don't fail to catch my attention
Senpai has noticed you.
ford_prefect
Posts: 4,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2015 12:05:15 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/27/2015 12:01:12 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
The town was absurdly overpowered. Watcher, Doc, Judge, Vengeful that doesn't die, two commuters, a bomb, a governor. There is literally no way scum could have won this.

Hunter does die (I could have worded that PM better), and there was only one commuter, who was 1x.
Beginner
Posts: 4,292
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2015 12:06:31 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/27/2015 12:01:12 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
The town was absurdly overpowered. Watcher, Doc, Judge, Vengeful that doesn't die, two commuters, a bomb, a governor. There is literally no way scum could have won this.

There wasn't a judge. And Hunter (not vengeful) dies, he just picks another person to die with him, but yes, Town was filled with a bunch of nice power roles.
Scum had some nice roles too.
Wylted losing that ability to permanently convert a player into vanilla was really a shame.
Senpai has noticed you.
Beginner
Posts: 4,292
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2015 12:07:22 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/27/2015 12:05:15 AM, ford_prefect wrote:
At 10/27/2015 12:01:12 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
The town was absurdly overpowered. Watcher, Doc, Judge, Vengeful that doesn't die, two commuters, a bomb, a governor. There is literally no way scum could have won this.

Hunter does die (I could have worded that PM better), and there was only one commuter, who was 1x.

Despite all appearances, I enjoyed your game. I know the inactivity sucked, but really.. thanks for hosting.
Senpai has noticed you.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2015 12:07:48 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Oh won of the reasons we killed Zaradi was because we knew that Khaos was the doc and could self doc, and we had to direct NKs away from people he would protect
SeventhProfessor
Posts: 5,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2015 12:13:02 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Doc + Watcher
Hunter + Governor

You probably should have gotten rid of one role each from those pairs, the game would've been way more well balanced.
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
SeventhProfessor
Posts: 5,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2015 12:14:54 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Or the tree stump being 3x/unlimited would also have helped balance wise, but overall it was a fun game.

Unfortunately I was way too subtle in soft claiming cop DP1, but oh well.
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
ford_prefect
Posts: 4,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2015 12:17:23 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/27/2015 12:14:54 AM, SeventhProfessor wrote:
Or the tree stump being 3x/unlimited would also have helped balance wise, but overall it was a fun game.

I actually thought about this, but decided against it. Guess it didn't really make a difference, given that Wylted died on day 1 anyway
ford_prefect
Posts: 4,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2015 12:18:26 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I also think that the bookie role, in the hands of the right player, would have been absolutely brutal to the town's chances of winning.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2015 2:17:49 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/27/2015 12:01:12 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
The town was absurdly overpowered. Watcher, Doc, Judge, Vengeful that doesn't die, two commuters, a bomb, a governor. There is literally no way scum could have won this.

Don't tarnish my MVP, bro

I'm not sure it was absurdly OP, but very swingy.
On any given night, there could have been two or even three NK's. Plus, there was only one investigation role, a watcher.
Had Zaradi been lynched DP1, mafia would likely have won the game.
7:3, then 5:2, with the potential of being MYLO.

But, I suppose it's a good thing we didn't really use roles this game, huh?
My work here is, finally, done.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2015 2:19:59 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
The real MVP was inactivity.
That is what saved Zaradi from being lynched, and quite possibly the only reason town had a chance.

I don't understand why Zaradi was so uncooperative DP2, though. He was almost lynched, and was a potential mislynch, which hurts his ability to draw the NK.
My work here is, finally, done.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2015 2:45:50 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Oh, and the PM thing with Airmax.

Airmax knows I started a new job in the healthcare industry, and I asked him a few questions. He knows I deal with Medicare Part D (perscriptions) as a clinical review tech. So, deriving doctor from that (or at least medicine, since he knew the theme) shouldn't have been too difficult.

However, that being said, I see know reason why that type of reference should be outlawed. I don't know if I just told scum my role in secret, nor does Airmax, as town, know I am town. After all, as scum, how sweet is it to claim doctor in a way that cannot be CC'd, and then NK Airmax NP2 so he can't correct me if I change my claim?

I see no difference between this and some soft claim that only one person can decypher. The fact is, there is something public to analyze: the fact I let Airmax know my role.

And, to think, Airmax wanted the doctor to out himself DP1...
My work here is, finally, done.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2015 2:50:10 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/27/2015 2:45:50 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Oh, and the PM thing with Airmax.

Airmax knows I started a new job in the healthcare industry, and I asked him a few questions. He knows I deal with Medicare Part D (perscriptions) as a clinical review tech. So, deriving doctor from that (or at least medicine, since he knew the theme) shouldn't have been too difficult.

However, that being said, I see know reason why that type of reference should be outlawed. I don't know if I just told scum my role in secret, nor does Airmax, as town, know I am town. After all, as scum, how sweet is it to claim doctor in a way that cannot be CC'd, and then NK Airmax NP2 so he can't correct me if I change my claim?

I see no difference between this and some soft claim that only one person can decypher. The fact is, there is something public to analyze: the fact I let Airmax know my role.

And, to think, Airmax wanted the doctor to out himself DP1...

What would you think of two players developing a completely secret language and using that to communicate certain things during the course of the game?
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2015 2:59:05 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/27/2015 2:50:10 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 10/27/2015 2:45:50 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Oh, and the PM thing with Airmax.

Airmax knows I started a new job in the healthcare industry, and I asked him a few questions. He knows I deal with Medicare Part D (perscriptions) as a clinical review tech. So, deriving doctor from that (or at least medicine, since he knew the theme) shouldn't have been too difficult.

However, that being said, I see know reason why that type of reference should be outlawed. I don't know if I just told scum my role in secret, nor does Airmax, as town, know I am town. After all, as scum, how sweet is it to claim doctor in a way that cannot be CC'd, and then NK Airmax NP2 so he can't correct me if I change my claim?

I see no difference between this and some soft claim that only one person can decypher. The fact is, there is something public to analyze: the fact I let Airmax know my role.

And, to think, Airmax wanted the doctor to out himself DP1...

What would you think of two players developing a completely secret language and using that to communicate certain things during the course of the game?

It's annoying.
Do you mean like how you and XLAV form unbreakable bonds from one interaction?
Or F-16 and FT ask if they are town?
Or referencing meta from another site, mafia PM, google hangout, or other non-public medium?
Or allowing non-players to influence players in the game by allowing PMs between the two?
There is no guarantee that one of the two players would not manipulate the other as scum. So, I don't see the inherent issue.
Perhaps we should ban friends from playing in games together, because they have unpublic knowledge of each other, and can use that to make decisions...
My work here is, finally, done.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2015 3:04:23 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/27/2015 2:59:05 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 10/27/2015 2:50:10 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 10/27/2015 2:45:50 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Oh, and the PM thing with Airmax.

Airmax knows I started a new job in the healthcare industry, and I asked him a few questions. He knows I deal with Medicare Part D (perscriptions) as a clinical review tech. So, deriving doctor from that (or at least medicine, since he knew the theme) shouldn't have been too difficult.

However, that being said, I see know reason why that type of reference should be outlawed. I don't know if I just told scum my role in secret, nor does Airmax, as town, know I am town. After all, as scum, how sweet is it to claim doctor in a way that cannot be CC'd, and then NK Airmax NP2 so he can't correct me if I change my claim?

I see no difference between this and some soft claim that only one person can decypher. The fact is, there is something public to analyze: the fact I let Airmax know my role.

And, to think, Airmax wanted the doctor to out himself DP1...

What would you think of two players developing a completely secret language and using that to communicate certain things during the course of the game?

It's annoying.
Do you mean like how you and XLAV form unbreakable bonds from one interaction?
Or F-16 and FT ask if they are town?
Or referencing meta from another site, mafia PM, google hangout, or other non-public medium?
Or allowing non-players to influence players in the game by allowing PMs between the two?
There is no guarantee that one of the two players would not manipulate the other as scum. So, I don't see the inherent issue.
Perhaps we should ban friends from playing in games together, because they have unpublic knowledge of each other, and can use that to make decisions...

if you can go as far as creating secret languages or signals and communicating that way, why not just open up a PM with the other person?

I think you know there is a difference between having access to knowledge others don't necessarily do, but essentially creating and speaking in a coded language goes too far don't you think?
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2015 3:09:46 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/27/2015 3:04:23 AM, Wylted wrote:

if you can go as far as creating secret languages or signals and communicating that way, why not just open up a PM with the other person?

I think you know there is a difference between having access to knowledge others don't necessarily do, but essentially creating and speaking in a coded language goes too far don't you think?

If you created the language before the game starts, so what?
If you were playing live, and two people started talking in Spanish, would you object?
The fact is, if you see it, you can pressure either player to reveal the language. By mentioning it in the game, it becomes part of the game.

There was nothing stopping you from demanding I claim.
There was nothing stopping you from demanding Airmax to explain.
Airmax was pressured a bit to explain the PM, and he outright lied, saying it was about cheese. I almost protected him NP1, too. If it wasn't for his not voting you....

Secrets, you say?
You mean like some players who refuse to explain why they read another player as town or scum? There is no difference.
My work here is, finally, done.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2015 3:11:47 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/27/2015 3:04:23 AM, Wylted wrote:

Let me ask you this, Wylted:
If my soft claim was my character began with the same first initial as your real life name, is that a secret language? It's not public knowledge.
My work here is, finally, done.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2015 3:13:23 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/27/2015 3:09:46 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 10/27/2015 3:04:23 AM, Wylted wrote:

if you can go as far as creating secret languages or signals and communicating that way, why not just open up a PM with the other person?

I think you know there is a difference between having access to knowledge others don't necessarily do, but essentially creating and speaking in a coded language goes too far don't you think?

If you created the language before the game starts, so what?
If you were playing live, and two people started talking in Spanish, would you object?
The fact is, if you see it, you can pressure either player to reveal the language. By mentioning it in the game, it becomes part of the game.

There was nothing stopping you from demanding I claim.
There was nothing stopping you from demanding Airmax to explain.
Airmax was pressured a bit to explain the PM, and he outright lied, saying it was about cheese. I almost protected him NP1, too. If it wasn't for his not voting you....

Secrets, you say?
You mean like some players who refuse to explain why they read another player as town or scum? There is no difference.

There is a huge difference between not explaining your reads and doing that. I presume you think it would be wrong for two players in the game to start a secret PM with each other, correct? So what is the difference between the two in regards to effect?