Jump to topic:

Let's do one at a time!

Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2015 4:33:32 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
As many of you fellow mafia players may have noticed, mafia is in a season of decline (for now). Signups for recent games are taking anywhere from 2 weeks to an entire month whereas - according to Ore_Ele - large games used to take only up to one day to fill.
We can hardly get enough people for one game - much less two.
I've also noticed that some players will run themselves ragged precisely due to the fact that there are multiple games being played at the same time.
Maybe if we did one game at a time, individual games would have more exclusivity.

That's my proposition. I think it's ok if we have multiple sign-ups, but let's run just one game at a time. I want to play mafia and I would really love for individual players to have more concentrated interests in the games I'm playing. I think it'll improve the quality of games.
Senpai has noticed you.
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2015 4:35:46 PM
In light of this post, maybe we can run Lannan's MLP game first before we run TUF's clash of clans.
Senpai has noticed you.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2015 7:55:36 PM
http://www.debate.org...

Filled up under 6 hours.

8 spots filled in 15 minutes

Filled up under 6 hours.

My memory may have been exaggerated, but not by much.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2015 7:59:21 PM
At 11/6/2015 4:35:46 PM, Beginner wrote:
In light of this post, maybe we can run Lannan's MLP game first before we run TUF's clash of clans.

I am in no rush to start. Bsh1 hit me up on my profile a week ago saying it was my turn, is the only reason I put sign ups out.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2015 8:51:29 PM
At 11/6/2015 7:59:21 PM, TUF wrote:

I am in no rush to start. Bsh1 hit me up on my profile a week ago saying it was my turn, is the only reason I put sign ups out.

^same.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2015 10:46:07 PM
At 11/6/2015 7:59:21 PM, TUF wrote:

Oh yeah that's totally fine. The signups aren't a problem. It'd just be great if one of you deferred actually starting your game and sending out role PM's until after the other person's game finishes.
I think Lannan was first on the list of mods, but if he's fine with it, I could help you guys randomize.

(Pick a number between 1-100 :))
Senpai has noticed you.
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2015 10:46:25 PM
At 11/6/2015 9:01:05 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Alright you two. Rock, Paper, Scissors!

Kind of hard to do online XD
Senpai has noticed you.
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2015 10:48:56 PM
Actually i'm an idiot.
You guys could just message rock, paper or scissor to a third party (me), and I could note the victor who will go on to be the first to run his game.
Senpai has noticed you.
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2015 10:50:01 PM
If you guys agree give me a list of rock's papers and scissors just in case you have a tie in the order that you want me to compare them.
Senpai has noticed you.
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2015 10:50:41 PM
At 11/6/2015 10:50:01 PM, Beginner wrote:
If you guys agree give me a list of rock's papers and scissors just in case you have a tie in the order that you want me to compare them.

A list of 5 iterations of rock's, paper's or scissor's
Senpai has noticed you.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2015 4:46:14 PM
Or we could just do it the easy way and let lannan go first haha. Like I said I am in no rush. I'll go back to forgetting about the site just message me when you guys are ready for me to go
ButterCatX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2015 5:25:59 PM
I agree that mafia is in decline, I would play before summer and it was superb and now it is not as fun. I think we should have semi regular master level games. Like beginner's mafia but for the best mafia players. But the catch is that they have to play games of mafia on the site to be able to compete. It would help get people active and allow the best players to play in games where they feel like they are playing with people on the same level.
I bet fanfics are already being posted on random blogs about us.-Vaarka

Butters preformed his duty to the town and died with honor, he helped us kill scum, so we know have to go and make sure his death wasn't in vain and win this game for him.-lannan13

All hail the great and mighty Butters, who died for our inactive cause.-Vaarka

fuckith offith, lol.-Ore(talking to me)

And guess what happened to FT? He got raped to death.-Xlav

You are so obviously town I love you man.-VOT
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2015 10:08:12 PM
I don't support this, because it would likely mean that the Hopper will move even more slowly than it already is. It seems like having fewer mafia games will only make things less dynamic and attractive for people, and thus less interesting to do.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2015 10:50:57 PM
At 11/8/2015 10:08:12 PM, bsh1 wrote:
I don't support this, because it would likely mean that the Hopper will move even more slowly than it already is. It seems like having fewer mafia games will only make things less dynamic and attractive for people, and thus less interesting to do.

I think bsh1 has a point. I don't think filling sign ups is super hard. I think mods just need to reach out to players and send personal invites. That's what I did in my last game and it filled up much faster than Khaos's and daytona's game. I'm going to do that now.
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2015 2:02:26 AM
I don't support this, because it would likely mean that the Hopper will move even more slowly than it already is.
That is true. The hopper will move more slowly. The tradeoff is that we get higher quality games. Speaking from a regular player's perspective, I have personally experienced and heard accounts of multiple games' interferences with one another. Issues like cross-game behavior, overall activity divide, and a higher probability for loss of interest are all apt to occur.
I suppose it depends on our objectives. Do we do this to move the hopper or do we play to enjoy the games in and of themselves?
As the several mods have stated, there is no rush to get these games started, so how about we try and cooperate for some better games with more dedicated players? In theory it will work well, and I believe that until we get a higher influx of interest, it would be the best strategy
It seems like having fewer mafia games will only make things less dynamic and attractive for people, and thus less interesting to do.
Certainly the total dynamics will decrease, but I know for a fact that playing in multi-games have decreased the quality of games overall for individual players and individual games. I'm fairly certain we've already established that the more games we have on the field, the less dynamic these games will be individually.
Senpai has noticed you.
ValosaBirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2015 2:07:22 AM
At 11/7/2015 5:25:59 PM, ButterCatX wrote:
I agree that mafia is in decline, I would play before summer and it was superb and now it is not as fun. I think we should have semi regular master level games. Like beginner's mafia but for the best mafia players. But the catch is that they have to play games of mafia on the site to be able to compete. It would help get people active and allow the best players to play in games where they feel like they are playing with people on the same level.

OK that's true but you also have to remember no one is doing well teaching the beginners games either... We could go to a mentorship program again...
ButterCatX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2015 2:39:54 AM
At 11/9/2015 2:07:22 AM, ValosaBirdy wrote:
At 11/7/2015 5:25:59 PM, ButterCatX wrote:

OK that's true but you also have to remember no one is doing well teaching the beginners games either... We could go to a mentorship program again...

That could be very effective. Two people for one role (one Mentor and one Mentee) or something
I bet fanfics are already being posted on random blogs about us.-Vaarka

Butters preformed his duty to the town and died with honor, he helped us kill scum, so we know have to go and make sure his death wasn't in vain and win this game for him.-lannan13

All hail the great and mighty Butters, who died for our inactive cause.-Vaarka

fuckith offith, lol.-Ore(talking to me)

And guess what happened to FT? He got raped to death.-Xlav

You are so obviously town I love you man.-VOT
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2015 3:12:09 AM
At 11/6/2015 4:33:32 PM, Beginner wrote:
As many of you fellow mafia players may have noticed, mafia is in a season of decline (for now). Signups for recent games are taking anywhere from 2 weeks to an entire month whereas - according to Ore_Ele - large games used to take only up to one day to fill.
We can hardly get enough people for one game - much less two.
I've also noticed that some players will run themselves ragged precisely due to the fact that there are multiple games being played at the same time.
Maybe if we did one game at a time, individual games would have more exclusivity.

That's my proposition. I think it's ok if we have multiple sign-ups, but let's run just one game at a time. I want to play mafia and I would really love for individual players to have more concentrated interests in the games I'm playing. I think it'll improve the quality of games.

What you are missing is the fact that people are running themselves ragged because they are tying to get a game off the ground.
The games need to be smaller, or the mods need to take stands to ensure players that are habitually inactive do not play.
It also doesn't help that most former players have moved on, either from the website altogether, or from mafia, for whatever reasons.
My work here is, finally, done.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2015 3:16:01 AM
but you also have to remember no one is doing well teaching the beginners games either

Do tell.
Why don't you tell me what you need? Then, tell me why you aren't asking that in the game.
ValosaBirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2015 10:28:13 AM
At 11/9/2015 3:16:01 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
but you also have to remember no one is doing well teaching the beginners games either

Do tell.
Why don't you tell me what you need? Then, tell me why you aren't asking that in the game.

I have been What exsactly is a scummie post?
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2015 12:19:11 PM
At 11/9/2015 10:28:13 AM, ValosaBirdy wrote:

Do tell.

A post that denotes a player's behavior is likely to come from scum, or conversely, not likely to come from town.
The game is all about behavior, and behavior is nuanced.

Common scummie posts are: unreasonable defenses of players, refusing to lynch, refusing to cooperate, being inactive, trying to out unnecessary information, appearing to have too much information, being too defensive, or just not appearing to try to figure out the game and who is town or scum.

The core of the townie game is to be uninformed and trying to figure out who has ulterior motives (i.e. to control half the town), while the core of the mafia game is to manipulate town with your inside information to meet your goals (i.e. control half the town).

Do you ever look at games after you've played them, to see what townies look like? How they play? Then see how mafia played?
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2015 12:37:39 PM
At 11/9/2015 2:02:26 AM, Beginner wrote:
I don't support this, because it would likely mean that the Hopper will move even more slowly than it already is.
That is true. The hopper will move more slowly. The tradeoff is that we get higher quality games. Speaking from a regular player's perspective, I have personally experienced and heard accounts of multiple games' interferences with one another. Issues like cross-game behavior, overall activity divide, and a higher probability for loss of interest are all apt to occur.

Sure, if you have too many games running at once, this can occur. But is 2 simultaneous games really "too much?" I don't think it is, and I don't think the issues that you point out here are significant or widespread enough to cause a real problem. I think that by slowing down the hopper, you make mods wait longer (which annoys mods and makes them less willing to sign up) and you make this forum less dynamic, which will cause people to get even more bored with or turned off of mafia.

I suppose it depends on our objectives. Do we do this to move the hopper or do we play to enjoy the games in and of themselves?

This is a false dichotomy. There is no reason why you cannot enjoy the games for themselves in the status quo.

As the several mods have stated, there is no rush to get these games started, so how about we try and cooperate for some better games with more dedicated players?

Why are players not dedicated? To me, it seems like a general lack of interest in mafia, not a lack of time or cross-game confusion. If this is the case, shrinking the pool of active mafia games to 1 will not solve the problem. In fact, it may make people less apt to sign up for mafia games, because if their is only one active game at a time, they may not like the theme and wait a month or two for the next game. Again, the goal should be to keep a dynamic mafia atmosphere to keep people engaged, not to shrink the pool of active games.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
ValosaBirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2015 12:55:02 PM
At 11/9/2015 12:19:11 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 11/9/2015 10:28:13 AM, ValosaBirdy wrote:

Do tell.

A post that denotes a player's behavior is likely to come from scum, or conversely, not likely to come from town.
The game is all about behavior, and behavior is nuanced.

Common scummie posts are: unreasonable defenses of players, refusing to lynch, refusing to cooperate, being inactive, trying to out unnecessary information, appearing to have too much information, being too defensive, or just not appearing to try to figure out the game and who is town or scum.

The core of the townie game is to be uninformed and trying to figure out who has ulterior motives (i.e. to control half the town), while the core of the mafia game is to manipulate town with your inside information to meet your goals (i.e. control half the town).

Do you ever look at games after you've played them, to see what townies look like? How they play? Then see how mafia played?

Thank you this is very straight forward and helpful! This should help me be a better player
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2015 1:30:46 PM
At 11/9/2015 12:55:02 PM, ValosaBirdy wrote:

Thank you this is very straight forward and helpful! This should help me be a better player

Three things:
1. Let's not derail this thread any further.
2. To be fair, you should have been able to extrapolate this from how me and ER were voting in game two. Why did we lynch Vaarka DP1? Because he wasn't playing like his normal townie self (meta), and also in that game, he was actively not progressing the DPs. That did not help town, and ER expected more of him, so ER said to himself "that's not like Vaarka, and it's not helping town, methinks he is probably scum".

Later in the game, we tried to lynch Butter. Why? Because he was being hypocritical and his logic was horribly flawed (i.e. he wasn't really thinking about the game, just trying to justify his vote on me). Then, when pressured, he stalled, then claimed but delayed confirmation, then admitted he lied, and finally, explained how you were killed.
Also, IIRC, Blah did not vote for Butter, which was damning in its own right.

Blah not so much, but both Butter and Vaarka was explained explicitly in the game. You should have been able to extrapolate what makes someone scum from why we tried to lynch scum.

3. This is precisely why you need to pay attention to the ENTIRE game, and not stop playing/reading after you die. Further, why you need to read the entire DP, and not just those posts that involve you.

Also, this is precisely what the endgame thread is for. Go back, and see how me and ER asked about the mafia's choices in NKs. Use this thread to get understanding that is not in-game, because if you are town you can never fully trust what anyone says about anything they did (and sometimes not even mafia can trust townies, either).
You could have asked in the endgame why we lynched scum, and what scummy posts were there. In-game, I am playing the game, but still trying to guide you to the answer. Guess what, this also aids in finding scum, because town is more likely to actually look for the answer.

Mafia is not a game like a history test with facts and figures. It is about behavior. It is a game of psychology. Just saying that "post X" is scummy does not explain why it is scummy, that is true. But, if I tell you why, then you aren't thinking about why, and when I tell you, that is all you will be searching for: posts that sound like X (and not the reasoning/logic/behavior/motivation behind what made that post scummy).

Now, let's not derail this thread any further, and most assuredly, do not take this help as indication of my alignment in the current game, even though, I will likely post it there.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2015 2:32:46 PM
At 11/9/2015 1:30:46 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Why did we lynch Vaarka DP1? Because he wasn't playing like his normal townie self (meta), and also in that game, he was actively not progressing the DPs. That did not help town, and ER expected more of him, so ER said to himself "that's not like Vaarka, and it's not helping town, methinks he is probably scum".

I could've sworn I was NK'd
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2015 2:36:16 PM
At 11/9/2015 2:32:46 PM, Vaarka wrote:
At 11/9/2015 1:30:46 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Why did we lynch Vaarka DP1? Because he wasn't playing like his normal townie self (meta), and also in that game, he was actively not progressing the DPs. That did not help town, and ER expected more of him, so ER said to himself "that's not like Vaarka, and it's not helping town, methinks he is probably scum".

I could've sworn I was NK'd

(fixed)
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2015 3:00:18 AM

Eh, as of right now that's not really an issue. Look at the number of mods in the hopper, it's only about half the usual number! If the system works so that signups for game X happen while game Y is going, then game Y can start as soon as game X ends, and we'd never have any time where no mafia was happening.
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2015 3:04:13 AM
At 11/11/2015 3:00:18 AM, SeventhProfessor wrote:

Eh, as of right now that's not really an issue. Look at the number of mods in the hopper, it's only about half the usual number! If the system works so that signups for game X happen while game Y is going, then game Y can start as soon as game X ends, and we'd never have any time where no mafia was happening.

You mean like right now?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2015 3:40:29 AM
At 11/11/2015 3:04:13 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 11/11/2015 3:00:18 AM, SeventhProfessor wrote:

You mean like right now?

Exactly. A one at a time system where mafia is always going on is preferable to two at a time where we can go at least a week without mafia.
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...