Jump to topic:

Dungeons and Dragons forum game?

breakingamber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2015 2:35:44 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I've heard of a DnD forum game from looking at the really old posts. I thought someone might bring it back! So, anyone willing to co-mod a game with me? No private messaging like Mafia, but I'm hoping it will still be fun.

Qualities I need in a co-mod:
Unbiased. He cannot give good stuff to friends in chests and give trapped chests only to people he/she doesn't like. That would ruin the whole purpose of the game.
Strict. This may seem to contradict what I just said earlier, but if you do make an unbiased decision to give someone a trapped chest or something like that, do not give them leniency for whining/bribing/pouting or anything like that and let them "randomly be resurrected for no good reason." Maybe a free extra life the first time, but no stuff like that afterward. Hey, I'm the mod, I can do whatever I want! Anyway, if I'm offline, please do that sort of thing for me.
Online. Duh. When/if everyone submits actions, then I need at least one mod to be online at all times. I'm considering trying to hire two co-mods to make sure that the game crawls along, but then again, I'm not too sure they'll cooperate.

I'm still a bit fuzzy on the exact rules, but I still think I have a good general idea about how this is going to go.
I'll put up signups when I get at least one co-mod.
MAY THE WRATH OF THE MODS BE UPON YOU!
- Master Elodin

"When will [Obliteration] learn that Funtimes' plan of saving/destroying the world with pancakes is the only way? "
"She wouldn't even have to make real pancakes! Just the batter, and Obliteration could cook it with his powers! OBLITERATION, YOU'RE WASTING YOUR TALENTS"
- Voidus and TwiLyghtSansSparkles

"An Epic stage magician and a zombie dinosaur? She sure as Braize won"t pull the line there!"
- Edgedancer
breakingamber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2015 2:44:15 AM
Oh, by the way, DnD is a game. The game is played like this:
The setting is usually a dungeon. Most/all players are given lower level equipment that matches his/her role. For example, a crusader (guy with a lot of defense and a "hit point" sucker") might be given a bad sword and some ok armor. Or a healer (guy with healing abilities) might be given magic robes that enhance his healing ability or something like that. Roles will be distributed semi-randomly. (You will have a chance to pick your preferred role. If there are too many people applying to one role, then I may have to use random.com and you may get a role you do not really want.) A DnD team consists of certain roles (usually a knight, a wizard, a healer, and possibly an archer). These roles are meant to compliment each other. In the original DnD games, the game was played on a platform, and you would choose something to do. You would then execute that thing, and whatever jerk you were fighting would do the same thing.

On DDO DnD, I hope to replicate the same thing. This means that everybody needs to be sort of active. If not, then the game never moves on, and I have to get replacements.

The team will move into the dungeon, fighting enemies, beating bosses, finding treasure, equipping new armor/trinkets/whatever the new fashion trend happens to be.

I think I actually will give everyone a PM to talk to one or more of the moderators. This way, you can submit actions without having issues with what is an action in the forum and what is a conversation. Also, I will give the team a personal PM so they can talk, argue, and agree with each other about what he/she/they should do.
- Master Elodin

"When will [Obliteration] learn that Funtimes' plan of saving/destroying the world with pancakes is the only way? "
"She wouldn't even have to make real pancakes! Just the batter, and Obliteration could cook it with his powers! OBLITERATION, YOU'RE WASTING YOUR TALENTS"

"An Epic stage magician and a zombie dinosaur? She sure as Braize won"t pull the line there!"
- Edgedancer
breakingamber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2015 2:46:32 AM
OK, what I said above was a summary. Here are the specifics on the game:
#3: Movement
#4: Battling
#5: Forum posts and PMs
#6: Courtesy rules
#7: Miscellaneous

I think that covers everything.
Oh, and only people applying to become co-mods should post here.
Let's get to work
- Master Elodin

- Edgedancer
breakingamber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2015 3:00:06 AM
#3: Movement
Ok, you've signed up, you've been confirmed your role, you know how to play...
Hey, what do we do now?
How do we move throughout this annoyingly large dungeon?
Here, I'll take your digital hand and walk you through the process.

First, at the beginning of the game, I will PM everybody what their roles are. Let's say in this imaginary game, we have A, B, and C. A is a knight, B is a wizard, and C is a healer. They will have 4 PMs. One PM is for me or another mod to broadcast choices, like left and right turn, fight or flight, open chest or don't. It will be labeled Announcement PM The second PM will be for group choices. It will come down to a vote. If A and B say they want to go left, but C says he wants to go right, too bad C. You are going left. To officially tell your choice to the moderator, bold your choice. However, you must have the consent of more than 50% of your group for the choice to be counted.

The third PM is for discussion. You may talk with your teammates about what you wish to do, who should attack first, that kind of thing.

The last and fourth PM will be for individual choices. A could say in here, I attack with the SHARPNESS spell or something like that. His teammates can also put their actions in here. However, there is a caution against trolls. Say A says, I detonate the SUICIDE BOMB. His teammates, not wanting to lose A, both state, VETO. A cannot do that action during that turn. Yay! The team is saved!

What do we do in the forum?

Well, the results are put there. Let's say that everyone has attacked. The post will look something like this:

The results of the attack:
Enemies:
Trappanter: 5 HP to 1 HP
Gorgle Beast: 10 HP to 7 HP

Allies:
A: 20 HP
B: 15 HP to 11 HP
C: 10 HP

A new turn has commenced!

The HP stands for Health Points. It indicates how much health someone may have.
This forum indicates what has happened based on the attacks of all the teammates.

Now, on to battling.
- Master Elodin

- Edgedancer
breakingamber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2015 3:11:46 AM
#4: Battling
Oh no, a Cute Globe rat has appeared! He wants to suck your blood!
BATTLE COMMENCE!!!!

You may be like, AAAAH!!!! A rat wants to kill me! What do I do?

Well, first, look at the forum. It will look something like this. Remember A, B, and C from last post? Here is what it should look like:

BATTLE COMMENCE!!!

Enemies:
Cute Globe Rat: 3 HP

Allies:
A: 20 HP
B: 15 HP

Now check the announcements PM.

Battle Commence!
Your choices are:
Attack!
Run!

Let's say that the group vote is to attack.
They then switch to the Individual Actions PM.

A decides to use Ultimate Sword Slash on Cute Globe Rat
B decides to use Magic Up on B
C decides to Defend

EXPLANATION NEEDED
OK, attacking is using one of your attacks to hit one of the enemies. You will have two attacks: a regular one and a power one. The regular one can be used any time with no recharge. The power attack needs a recharge after being used, usually one or two turns.
C defended. That means he protected himself from most damage that the Globe Rat may have done to him. Do this if you think you might soon be wiped out.

So, the new forum post looks like this:

Battle in Progress:

Enemies:
/\Cute Globe Rat: 3 HP to 0 HP

Allies:
A: 20 HP to 18 HP
B: 15 HP

Cute Globe Rat is defeated!

Spoils:
10 gold

Now, the symbol next to the dead rat (/\) is the symbol for dead.
The spoils are items or gold that you get for killing a creature.

BTW
If you want to view something (like how much gold you have, or what items you currently have, ask the moderator in the individual actions PM. It will not take up a turn, it will just display the inventory.
- Master Elodin

- Edgedancer