Jump to topic:

Reduce game concentration?

Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 9:06:12 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
To improve activity levels I propose we reduce the game concentration of concurrent live games to 1 game at a time, or else micromanage them to create Day/Night overlap.

TUF's game was hurt hard by inactivity, and there have been far worse incidents previously, and certainly into the future.

Should we adopt this practice?
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 12:54:06 PM
At 12/21/2015 9:06:12 AM, Smithereens wrote:
To improve activity levels I propose we reduce the game concentration of concurrent live games to 1 game at a time, or else micromanage them to create Day/Night overlap.

TUF's game was hurt hard by inactivity, and there have been far worse incidents previously, and certainly into the future.

No.

Mafia activity has always ebbed and flow and artificially attempting to restrict the number of games will just lead to people continuing to create mafia games anyway in defiance. It's happened before.

TUF's game overlapped with a beginner game and lanna's game. Only 2 people from TUFs game were also in the beginner game (Ford, Sapph), but many people from TUF's game were in lannan's game.

However, lannan's game was over half-way through TUFs game. There should have been no reason for there to be an inactivity problem.

Rather than limiting the number of games, games need to be smaller and mods need to more strictly enforce inactivity penalties.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 12:59:42 PM

No.
The issue is people signing up and being inactive. Mods need to limit the number of inactives that play.
For the last six months, mafia has been plagued by inactivity, with mafia winning at least half of these games based on inactivity alone.
My work here is, finally, done.
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 3:36:41 PM
I think the primary issue is that games are too large. The mafia community is just not as intense as it was where we can support multiple 14+ player games.

I'd rather see two simultaneous 7 player games than a single 14 player game. Why?

Low player games end quicker. Assuming games scale linearly* with amount of players, you can run two 7 player games in the same time span it takes to run a single 14 player game. By running two 7-player games simultaneously, you can now have 4 games run in the same time frame it takes to run a single game.

By having shorter games, people can get back into fray more quickly. The reason people sign up for multiple mafia games is not because a single game isn't engaging enough, but rather A) has periods of down time in the night phases and B) can end quickly if they are lynched/Nkd soon. Smaller player games have shorter night phases, meaning this down time is limited and since they don't take as long, people that are lynched or killed early don't have to wait that long to get into a new game.

Smaller games are easier to design and balance, keep the noise levels down allowing town players to more focus on strategy and case-building, Mafia has a greater ability to fake claim without the mod providing them fake claims (which is a stupid thing to do. If you have to provide mafia claims you've designed your game poorly). They're easier to mod and the shorter duration provides a more engaging experience where individual players can contribute more directly (rather than just be one voice among a sea of voices).
headphonegut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 6:26:00 PM

I'd just ban people from modding games for reoccuring cases of inactivity and replacement. And maybe restrict the total games they can join.
crying to soldiers coming home to their dogs why do I torment myself with these videos?