WitchHunters:Mafia [Endgame]

Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 1:25:03 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
The Town's Requiem...
The four surviving town leaders quarreled bitterly among themselves in front of the town. Shizoo was holding Maria up by the throat, yelling at her to defend herself. The broken composure of the otherwise fearless high priest had shocked Titus. Originally desiring to not kill anyone that day, he had been persuaded by the constant and emphatic condemnation of Maria by Vixxen. The jeers and pleas for blood from the town were incessant.
"We can't shed no blood today, we already know who the final culprit is!" Declared Vixxen.
"Maria! Are you listening?!" Cried Shizoo.
Maria's head slumped, her eyes crossed and she began to drool; Oblivious to the world around her.
"Maybe her evil spirit is causing that." Observed Titus.
Vixxen vehemently agreed. "I vehemently agree!" She vehemently agreed.
Titus sighed, looking out at the crowd of townies gathered, each and every face eager to see the blood run freely of any who swore death to them all.
"Take her to the stake then." Titus said.
"Wait.." Said Shizoo. He turned to Vixxen. "Are you sure? We caught two scum on the first day, I would be bitterly disappointed if we lost here."
Vixxen pulled the final cord on Maria's Bindings. "Too late." She grinned maniacally.
"What?" Titus turned around, as Vixxen snatched the torch from him and buried it in the kindling.
"No!" Cried Shizoo.
"Vixxen?!" Titus Gasped, pulling his cloak off in a vain attempt to smother the flames.
"You fools!" Screeched Vixxen. Maria stirred, the heat drawing groans from her, and ascending into rippling peals of agony. The fire reached her feet, blackening them in a heartbeat, and producing a searing and foul odour of burning human flesh.
Shizoo drew his rapier -the customary sword of the town elders, and lunged at Vixxen. With a hearty laugh, Vixxen drew her dagger and swiped the lengthy blade to the side. Shizoo realised his mistake instantly, as his overextended momentum threw him into Vixxen's blade, embedding into his chest.
Shizoo's sword dropped in a loud clammer, the screams and wails of Maria dying down to a fierce cracking and bubbling of burning flesh.
Titus approached, his own dagger at the ready. Dropping Shizoo, Vixxen swiped up the rapier and levied it at Titus' own inferior weapon.
"Why?!" Cried Titus. "You were a normal member of the town!"
"No... I was a failure of a tailor. Cleo was a failure of an actor. Together we were the only blemish on an otherwise perfect village." Vixxen replied bitterly.
The gathered townsfolk had fled the square, too cowardly to stand up to the blatant evil that opposed them. Titus watched the last man leave the square, depleting his final hope of survival.
"This is our end, then." Tears welling, Titus watched the approaching blade. His fingers relaxed, and the dagger dropped from his grip. The muted thud of steel impacting wood ran through Titus' mind. In the final moments, he embraced the sound, the last sound he heard, as the steely intrusion ran through his heart.
The final innocent leader of Malhurst collapsed in a heap. Dead.

Winners: MAFIA

All role PM's: https://docs.google.com...

All Actions:https://docs.google.com...

Mod Notes:
Town should have won this game. After the disaster of Dp1 for scum, there was literally 1 mafia against every single townie. What XLAV did was simply vote for a random inactive, and pressure other townies to follow suit. There was a real absence of analysis or substantive material, and since town didn't want to think for themselves, they decided to follow XLAV every single day until all the townies were lynched.

On Game Balance:
Semi-Open structures with role madness are notoriously difficult for scum to win. However, town did not utilise the mechanic. If they did, they would have entered the final DP with the following list:
Town government or power Seventh
Town power or killing Sapph
Town killing or investigative Bullish
Town investigative or protective Beginner
Town investigative or support Uther
Town protective or support or government Breaking
Town Random FT
Town Random Butter
Mafia Godfather TUF
Mafia Deception HPG
Mafia Deception or Support XLAV?
Neutral Evil or Killing XLAV?

All town slots were filled by the final DP. Most notably, both Town Random slots could only possibly have been claimed by dead townies. XLAV claimed a town random slot during DP4. If that wasn't enough to convince town that XLAV was scum, XLAV was the only person who hadn't claimed a role that could fit withing the town structure, and every other townie had. That means town should've known that XLAV was either Mafia or Third Party. At the very least, he was the only player who town could confirm as definitely not in the town role section. If you ever play Semi-open again (re: Bsh1's Magical creatures mafia if it runs), always remember to utilise this information.

To counteract the town advantage of the semi-open structure, Mafia were given 3 players, and set against 8 townies. If the game went normally and were reapted thousands of times, this balancing should resulted in a greater ratio of town wins than scum wins. Not by a significant difference, but enough. Mafia were also led to believe that they were more powerful than they actually were. They had an actress and a tailor, but both were naive. (If they weren't, town would win about as often as Butter remains active for the whole game).

On Game Mechanics:
This was a more controversial topic, simply because these mechanics aren't often used on DDO. During the signups, all players were informed that order of processing for roles that should resolve simultaneously would instead resolve randomly according exactly one of three resolution methods:
>Scum resolves first in all instances of resolution clash.
>Random roles resolve first in all instances of resolution clash
>First actions submitted resolves first.
In this game, the intention was that no two roles could be able to resolve at the same time (there aren't any two town roles that can resolve at the same time as flavoured cops resolve before normal cops hence why the first option implies that only town and scum can have role clashes). Scum resolving before town resolution was randomly picked as the method of simultaneous resolution. That's why Sapph could not save the town by shooting XLAV on the final night. She would already be dead since XLAV shot Sapph.

The other abnormal mechanic that was in play this game was the multi-lynch plurality mechanic. Under these rules, the Day phase goes for a set amount of time and if no lynch is achieved, the person(s) with the most votes dies. There were no players that could be mod confirmed in this game, despite Breaking's role conditions insinuating something similar. This mechanic is designed and used for situations where a player pool needs to be depleted rapidly, such as in very large games. Since it was expected that this game would devolve into inactivity, the first couple of Day phases enacted the mechanic to allow players to shorten the life of the entire game. As you remember, the scum team had two self votes against themselves causing a draw for the lynch. Originally we were disappointed by this, as Solon and I had provided highly frequent vote and time counts, and yet the mafia had still failed to adjust their votes appropriately. Normally, due to probability reasons, this mechanic favours mafia. If any two players are going to be lynched DP1, town usually suffers.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 1:26:00 AM
MVP: XLAV
LVP: Butter

Feedback welcome! What did you think of this game?

Also, Thank you all for playing in WitchHunters:Mafia :D
Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 1:29:58 AM
I hate myself.
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 1:34:50 AM
At 12/31/2015 1:29:58 AM, Sapphique wrote:
I hate myself.

Lol you didn't do too bad. The character's you were asking about in private pm were not relevant to game affiliation. If you had asked about structure, you may have gotten a more productive answer :)

The only I would say about your play, is to be immediately suspicious of people who lead the town, and don't follow what they say. it's really the only reason why town lost a game that they should have 100% won.
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 1:42:25 AM
Call out to Solon. Without him you'd all be waiting an extra 12 hours for the next vote count or for the NP to end. We totally broke the ToS by sharing my account at one point, but true to his nature, he's the most trustworthy fvcker I've ever met. Love ya Solon <3
Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 1:42:30 AM
Why did you use that action resolution instead of making stuff simultaneous?
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch
Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 1:44:37 AM
"All town slots were filled by the final DP. Most notably, both Town Random slots could only possibly have been claimed by dead townies. XLAV claimed a town random slot during DP4. If that wasn't enough to convince town that XLAV was scum, XLAV was the only person who hadn't claimed a role that could fit withing the town structure, and every other townie had. That means town should've known that XLAV was either Mafia or Third Party. At the very least, he was the only player who town could confirm as definitely not in the town role section. If you ever play Semi-open again (re: Bsh1's Magical creatures mafia if it runs), always remember to utilise this information."

What do you mean, they could only have been claimed by dead townies? What about Butters?

Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 1:45:36 AM
At 12/31/2015 1:42:25 AM, Smithereens wrote:
Call out to Solon. Without him you'd all be waiting an extra 12 hours for the next vote count or for the NP to end. We totally broke the ToS by sharing my account at one point, but true to his nature, he's the most trustworthy fvcker I've ever met. Love ya Solon <3

Oh yeah, I forgot. Thanks to both of you for modding. I'm still seriously salty about this loss, but you guys were great.

Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 1:47:13 AM
At 12/31/2015 1:42:30 AM, Sapphique wrote:
Why did you use that action resolution instead of making stuff simultaneous?

I didn't allow actions to resolve at the same time because it would have made story-telling a lot harder and far less coherent.
Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 1:47:45 AM
And can you explain what you meant by "baiting" a claim now? That thing you hinted about in PM.

Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 1:50:55 AM
At 12/31/2015 1:44:37 AM, Sapphique wrote:
"All town slots were filled by the final DP. Most notably, both Town Random slots could only possibly have been claimed by dead townies. XLAV claimed a town random slot during DP4. If that wasn't enough to convince town that XLAV was scum, XLAV was the only person who hadn't claimed a role that could fit withing the town structure, and every other townie had. That means town should've known that XLAV was either Mafia or Third Party. At the very least, he was the only player who town could confirm as definitely not in the town role section. If you ever play Semi-open again (re: Bsh1's Magical creatures mafia if it runs), always remember to utilise this information."

What do you mean, they could only have been claimed by dead townies? What about Butters?

PoE, as each player died, their category is confirmed by the mod during their flip. FT for example needs to go into a random slot in order for the power/gov slot to be taken by the 7th claim. If you let them overlap, you'd get empty slots and duplicate slots of townies, which doesn't make sense. XLAV's claim overlapped the random slots, which was filled by dead townies at the time. So logically, he should have been moved to a different empty slot, which just so happened to be one of two scum slots.
Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 1:54:15 AM
At 12/31/2015 1:26:00 AM, Smithereens wrote:
MVP: XLAV
I still hate you, XLAV :P But myself more.
LVP: Butter
Agreed.
Feedback welcome! What did you think of this game?
I wish town as a whole had tried harder. XLAV being scum means I was one of the only people (maybe the only one, even) who seriously tried to win this game. I read over everything, I even kept notes in a Word file...and I still lost when it mattered, which makes me really pissed. Many were inactive or low-activity and just didn't actually play. I can't analyze well when half the players don't even give me enough to work with.
Also, Thank you all for playing in WitchHunters:Mafia :D
You're welcome. I enjoyed the game a lot, even though the ending (and my part in it) frustrates me.

Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 1:55:14 AM
At 12/31/2015 1:47:45 AM, Sapphique wrote:
And can you explain what you meant by "baiting" a claim now? That thing you hinted about in PM.

Baiting a claim is a standard tactic where you imply guilt against a player in the publicity of the DP if they don't give information. I used it against Bsh1 in our last game in order to refine my targets, but being the very good player that he is, he resisted giving out information.

Basically there is a mentality prevalent among DDO users that outing lots and lots of info is essential for town. So if you say "Hey, tell me X, Y and Z, we need to know," you're fallaciously implying that it would be scummy of them to decline your request. Other townies see this as scummy too on DDO and happily assist you in applying pressure to get that info.
Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 1:58:11 AM
At 12/31/2015 1:50:55 AM, Smithereens wrote:
PoE, as each player died, their category is confirmed by the mod during their flip. FT for example needs to go into a random slot in order for the power/gov slot to be taken by the 7th claim. If you let them overlap, you'd get empty slots and duplicate slots of townies, which doesn't make sense. XLAV's claim overlapped the random slots, which was filled by dead townies at the time. So logically, he should have been moved to a different empty slot, which just so happened to be one of two scum slots.

Ah, I see that now. I was actually kind of keeping track of this, but I forgot to check Bullish's slot. That was really dumb of me.

Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 2:05:18 AM
Also, wth is with the "bootybootybooty rockin' errywhere" at the bottom of the actions spreadsheet? O_o lol

Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 2:06:31 AM
"Vixxen vehemently agreed. "I vehemently agree!" She vehemently agreed."
Lol.
Senpai has noticed you.
Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 2:07:43 AM
At 12/31/2015 2:06:00 AM, headphonegut wrote:

I've wanted to ask--why that sig?

Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 2:09:10 AM
At 12/31/2015 2:06:31 AM, Beginner wrote:
"Vixxen vehemently agreed. "I vehemently agree!" She vehemently agreed."
Lol.

Yeah, that was funny. We should've lynched just based on the name :P Sly fox.

Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 2:10:15 AM
At 12/31/2015 1:55:14 AM, Smithereens wrote:
Baiting a claim is a standard tactic where you imply guilt against a player in the publicity of the DP if they don't give information.

So how could that have been used here?

Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 2:23:51 AM
It's true that the mafia are going around killing people, but I can't really see them as bad guys. Remember that first day when scum were caught? Yeah. Town literally raped the mafia into submission before brutally murdering them.
Mafia may be 'bad guys' but townies were probably just as bad. I mean, the town elders ran a prostitution ring.. of children for crying out loud. I don't feel sympathy for the town whatsoever.
Cowards, rapists and murderers the lot of them.
Needless to say, I was a quite invested in the story.
Senpai has noticed you.
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 2:25:51 AM
Great job Smithers.
I particularly enjoyed the narrative, which I think is something that these forum mafia games really should have more of.
Senpai has noticed you.
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 2:38:16 AM
At 12/31/2015 2:10:15 AM, Sapphique wrote:
At 12/31/2015 1:55:14 AM, Smithereens wrote:
Baiting a claim is a standard tactic where you imply guilt against a player in the publicity of the DP if they don't give information.

So how could that have been used here?

Well, in this structure of game, it is very important that you can effectively draw out a claim of someone you deem suspicious. The earlier you do it, the less room they have to move around later on.
headphonegut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 2:49:51 AM
At 12/31/2015 2:07:43 AM, Sapphique wrote:

http://youtu.be...
crying to soldiers coming home to their dogs why do I torment myself with these videos?
Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 2:55:38 AM
At 12/31/2015 2:38:16 AM, Smithereens wrote:
Well, in this structure of game, it is very important that you can effectively draw out a claim of someone you deem suspicious. The earlier you do it, the less room they have to move around later on.

Okay, good to know. The problem was, there were so many more people to suspect that I didn't even think about XLAV before it was too late :/

Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 3:06:56 AM
At 12/31/2015 3:03:59 AM, headphonegut wrote:
I still can't believe I won lol

You're not the only one.

Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 3:07:57 AM
At 12/31/2015 2:25:51 AM, Beginner wrote:
Great job Smithers.
I particularly enjoyed the narrative, which I think is something that these forum mafia games really should have more of.

Very true. Although I do wish it were less...dark...at times.

SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 5:34:13 AM
At 12/31/2015 1:42:25 AM, Smithereens wrote:

Luv u2 bbyg <3
Just don't be surprised once you see... that.
Also, all hail XLAV, and all condemn inactivity.
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 12:20:51 PM
At 12/31/2015 2:49:51 AM, headphonegut wrote:
At 12/31/2015 2:07:43 AM, Sapphique wrote:

http://youtu.be...