Jump to topic:

How to Mod an Active Mafia Game

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2016 2:12:36 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
It seems that mafia games are starting to suffer from lack of attention lately. Well I've taken notes on when things seem to wax and wane and have looked for patterns to why, and then observe those situations to see if the patterns I recognize are correct. I was going to keep this list to myself, because I assumed the information was I thitive for everybody else, but I'll share some of the patterns I've noticed here, in the forms of Laws. These aren't things I've created as a good ideal for sparking activity. These are natural laws I've discovered that determine activity level in mafia games. If you follow this advice, your games will be active. I'm sure there are things players can do to insure activity is high as well, but these laws are geared towards what Mod's can do to help the situation.

If you follow these natural laws which here on out will be called Wylted's laws of game activity levels. (Or some other crap that will please my ego). I promise you that if you follow these laws you will have an active mafia game. There has never been a single time when these laws were obeyed that a mafia game was not adequately active. Failure to adhere to these rules, virtually insures you a bad game, though I've noticed that with a player pool of highly experienced players, failure to obey some of these rules perfectly, can still result in active games.

1. Be quick to replace inactives. Failure to replace just two inactive players in a quick manner can cause 2 or 3 more to get frustrated and become inactive, which can cause 5 or 6 more to become inactive. The failure to replace inactives quickly is a sure fire way to ruin a game, and has an exponential effect.

2.Post vote counts often. Failure to post vote counts every single page for slow games, or every other page for moderate speed games can make people think the mod doesn't care about the game, which in turn makes them not care about the game. Fast paced games need less vote counts. If 5 pages of material Pop up in just a few hours, you can probably ignore this rule.

3. Be quick with the Night periods. It can be tempting to start a day period at your convenience, but doing so will make many players forget about the game. People in general like lot's of action, and if the Noght period Is slow, they'll start creating debayes, signing up for new games or just have life events happen to them which make them busier, because the game hasn't came to completion fast enough. The busyness means they'll have less focus on that game.. Slow night periods cause lack of activity in the DP. I've even seen players forget they were in the game. You'd think that could be easy to recover from but it isn't. Most players take mental notes of their opponents actions and develop reads that way. With long NPs a player on DP3 might forget all his reads, and lose interest in the game because he's confused and knows he has to reread those DPs.

4. End DPs fast. Failure to end the DP fast enough is exactly the same as extending the NP, and has the same effects.

If you follow Wylted's laws for every game, you'll have active games. I've taken mental notes of when activity has waxed and waned on games so I know how to make my games not suffer. Wylted's laws for active Games is not something I created, but something I've discovered, and it's quite easy to implement.
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2016 3:06:24 PM
Mods should also shorten their player list. DDO mafia isn't the same like before. We have lesser experienced players and more noobs that tend to go inactive.

To be honest I hate replacements, especially if the replacement was a former townie who died. It confuses me, so it affects my reads and I find it annoying if I wanted that specific townie who died to stay dead.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2016 3:15:08 PM
At 1/1/2016 3:06:24 PM, XLAV wrote:
Mods should also shorten their player list. DDO mafia isn't the same like before. We have lesser experienced players and more noobs that tend to go inactive.

To be honest I hate replacements, especially if the replacement was a former townie who died. It confuses me, so it affects my reads and I find it annoying if I wanted that specific townie who died to stay dead.

I wanted to focus on the laws of activity instead of things like that, but you're absolutely correct. If activity in general is down, the lists need to shrink in accordance. It's like every new game I see coming out has 16 names, and it perplexes me. Worse is when these signip lists happen in close proximity. We're definitely asking for trouble at that point.