Total Posts:743|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

---Magical Creatures Mafia: DP1---

bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 3:39:56 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
Welcome to Magical Creatures Mafia!

I hope that this is a fun, balanced game, and that everyone enjoys playing! Good luck!

RULES + SET-UP


Activity

You are required to make 10 posts per DP. At least 5 of those posts must be substantive. A substantive post is any post the advances the progress of the game. The determination of what is or is not a substantive post is mine, and mine alone, to make. In the case of hydras, each half of the hydra must make a total of 5 posts, 3 of which must be substantive.

Failure to meet this activity standard makes you eligible for replacement. If you know in advance that you won't be active, tell me in advance, otherwise I will have a lot less sympathy for you. For those who were insufficiently active but who had legitimate reasons for the low activity, I will expect you to make up for your inactivity in the next DP. You may receive 1 activity prompt in the last 24 to 12 hours of a DP; this is not guaranteed, however, and failure to get this prompt will not excuse any inactivity.

PM Etiquette

Don't use PM structure, wincons, PM time stamps, or things of that ilk as points of analysis in the game. Discussion of these issues is strictly prohibited. You may not C/P anything from your PMs into the game or take photos of your PMs. There is to be communicating via non-mod-initiated methods, even with your teammates or hydra halves. This includes G+ hangouts, rabb.it hangouts, PMs on site, PMs offsite, etc. If you suspect or know that any such communication is taking place, you are obligated to inform me immediately. Remember, paraphrasing is your friend. An acceptable paraphrase should substantially change the original wording of the passage, and that change should be noticeably more than mere deletion or addition. Violation of the rules in this section ("PM Etiquette") are the most severe breaches of rules in my games, and will most likely result in instantaneous mod-kills.

Other Issues

Observe civil and good conduct. Except in cases of exceptional rudeness, anyone who violates this rule will receive 1 warning. Violations past that warning will result in you being replaced or mod-killed. What constitutes civil and good conduct is at my discretion. Additionally, all players must play to their win-con. Attempts to throw the game will not be tolerated. Play to win.

Cycles and Voting

All DPs will be 72 hours until the number of players reaches the single digits. At that point, all DPs will become 48 hours. I am willing to grant extensions for the DPs or NPs upon request, but it will be at my discretion whether to grant those requests. DP extensions will be 12-24 hours; NP extensions will be 6-12 hours. Votes or unvotes cast in twilight will not be assessed. Once a lynch is secured, the DP immediately ends. Only majority lynches are in effect.

Possible Roles

1. Ascetic
2. Babysitter
3. Bomb
4. Bulletproof
5. Cop
6. Doctor
7. FBI Agent
8. Framer
9. Godfather
10. Gunsmith
11. Hated
12. JOAT
13. Motivator
14. Ninja
15. Popular
16. Randomizer
17. Role Cop
18. Role Stealer
19. Roleblocker
20. Serial Killer
21. Strongman
22. Tracker
23. Traitor
24. Turncoat
25. Universal Back-Up
26. Vigilante
27. Vanilla
28. Watcher

LIVING PLAYERS

Smithers
Forever
Blazro
Saph
Midnight
Vaar
HPG
Breaking
Dalt
316
YYW
Voice
Coca
Cobalt
Budda/FT
XLAV
Wylted

With 17 players alive, it takes 9 votes to lynch.
The DP ends at 9:35pm, Central Time, on 1/7/15.


Good luck! Let the games begin.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 3:47:51 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
CORRECTION

In the "PM Etiquette" section, it should read: "there is to no be communicating via...".
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 3:50:51 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

Possible Flavors

1. X-shot
2. Even/Odd-Day/Night
3. Day
4. Nonconsecutive
5. Brutal
6. Insane
7. Naive
8. Paranoid
9. Random
10. 1-shot BP

Notes on Roles and Flavors

Flavors may be hidden or may be explicitly stated. There may or may not be multiples of certain roles and flavors. This game will not begin with more than 3 of any role, however.

===============

I think that's everything. Sorry I omitted that stuff from the OP.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 4:09:15 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
Can we keep this list current thx, as mafia I generally keep a list of info in the pm of all the townies, so I'd rather mafia didn't have such an advantage this game. I'll try keep it updated myself.
Also, the list of 28 possible roles contains 17 by my count of roles that are generally town-only. With 17 players in the game all up, and assuming no duplicates, there is good chance that we would catch all or most of the scum in a Dp1 mass claim. What are our thoughts on that?

Smithers -something pointy for character, something self-righteous for role.
Forever
Blazro
Saph
Midnight
Vaar
HPG
Breaking
Dalt
316
YYW
Voice
Coca
Cobalt
Budda/FT
XLAV
Wylted
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 4:14:04 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
Flavors may be hidden or may be explicitly stated. There may or may not be multiples of certain roles and flavors. This game will not begin with more than 3 of any role, however.

>Is the implication that there are rolestealers/backups in this game intentional? Or you don't mean to imply the existence of these roles?

>So two people who claim doctor can both be town..?
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 4:19:02 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/5/2016 4:14:04 AM, Smithereens wrote:
Flavors may be hidden or may be explicitly stated. There may or may not be multiples of certain roles and flavors. This game will not begin with more than 3 of any role, however.

>Is the implication that there are rolestealers/backups in this game intentional?

Things were phrased as they were to not close off possibilities. I felt that if I had said, "this game will not have more than 3 of any roles," I would imply that there were no role stealers, for instance. I think that this wording is the most open-ended.

>So two people who claim doctor can both be town..?

Yes.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Sapphique
Posts: 4,110
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 4:19:53 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/5/2016 4:09:15 AM, Smithereens wrote:
Also, the list of 28 possible roles contains 17 by my count of roles that are generally town-only. With 17 players in the game all up, and assuming no duplicates, there is good chance that we would catch all or most of the scum in a Dp1 mass claim. What are our thoughts on that?

I don't think that's the best way to go, especially since Bsh1 said there could be multiples. Why assume no duplicates?
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch
Sapphique
Posts: 4,110
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 4:23:02 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
VTL XLAV

You know why :P
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch
YYW
Posts: 36,233
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 4:27:08 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
We are not mass claiming DP1. It's a bad idea because it does nothing to advance the town, because there is no reason to think that mafia couldn't hide in/exploit that chaos to their own advantage in any number of ways.
YYW
Posts: 36,233
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 4:31:59 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/5/2016 4:26:39 AM, FourTrouble wrote:
Vote: YYW

Dude is known for his honestly. Can't hide his motivations even if he tried.

How many times have you played mafia with me?
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 4:35:16 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
VOTE COUNT

Forever (1/9) - Smithers
XLAV (1/9) - Saph
YYW (1/9) - FT
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
FourTrouble
Posts: 12,756
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 4:35:45 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
For anyone who is too stupid to figure out what I just said in my previous post: YYW is the best place to start building a wagon because he's the easiest person in this game to clear. He's generally active (if he's not, lynch him), he's bad at responding to pressure as scum, and his emotions betray his motivations better than anyone here save Xlav (and I plan on dealing with Xlav later, since that dude doesn't drop any tells on D1 anyway).

For anyone who doesn't understand what we're doing, this is what we're doing: We are going to analyze behaviors until we figure out who the scum are. To figure out who the scum are, we're going to vote the person we suspect most of being scum. I expect every player in this game to take part in this. This will require you to grasp at straws until your positions start to take shape. The trick to locating the scum is evaluating all the available facts - the relevant behavior (specific posts/votes), the player performing the behavior (meta), the context in which the behavior occurs (other player"s posts), and the player"s explanation/justification for their behavior (responses to pressure).

Useful questions to ask as you evaluate the facts: Is the player trying to figure out who the scum were or was the player trying to lynch town? Is an emotional outburst natural or excessive (i.e. faked/forced)? Is the player"s degree of certainty about a read/vote excessive or does it square with the game state? Was there a reason for a change in opinion or was it opportunistic? Why did the player misinterpret someone else"s post? Was it intentional or unintentional? Is there a plausible town motivation to this behavior? Is there a plausible scum motivation to this behavior? Locate behaviors that you believe are scummy, explain why they're scummy, and then reevaluate based on new facts (i.e. new posts and votes). Eventually, we'll finetune these reads and lynch the person who is most likely to be scum, based on all this evidence.

And, yes, we are lynching today. For those of you who are new, or who never learned the first time around, there are two reasons the town should always lynch on D1. First, town cannot predict ahead-of-time if it"ll get to MYLO or LYLO. If you no lynch and then end up at MYLO, the town loses a potentially game-winning mislynch. To ensure that the town uses every possible mislynch every game, the town should always lynch on D1. This gives the town more control over who ends up at LYLO.

Second, lynching on D1 creates useful behavioral information. This happens because D1 is when the informational disparity between town and scum is greatest. That means the informed/uninformed dichotomy is at its strongest on D1. So analyzing D1 wagons in retrospect provides a goldmine of behavioral information. If a D1 lynch includes multiple competing wagons, combined with a scum flip, the town is usually put in a position where it can piece together the remaining mafia via associative tells.

tl;dr -- engage the game, find the scum, lynch them. Don't wait until D2, do it now.
FourTrouble
Posts: 12,756
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 4:38:29 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/5/2016 4:27:08 AM, YYW wrote:
We are not mass claiming DP1. It's a bad idea because it does nothing to advance the town, because there is no reason to think that mafia couldn't hide in/exploit that chaos to their own advantage in any number of ways.

I couldn't care less about the mass claim. If people want to claim their roles, go ahead. If not, don't. The important thing is to NOT get distracted by a mass claim, or to get distracted arguing about whether to mass claim or not. The important thing is to stay focused on behavioral analysis, not get distracted by thematic or setup analysis, and not get distracted by theory arguments about the benefits/harms of mass claiming.
FourTrouble
Posts: 12,756
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 4:42:32 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/5/2016 4:31:59 AM, YYW wrote:
How many times have you played mafia with me?

I couldn't say. But I've seen you play as both town and mafia multiple times (e.g. mafia in my Nightless game and Mikal's Borderless game, town in Transformers and a few others whose name I can't remember, one of which was played as Nymph - that's more than enough games to locate differences in your play as either alignment, especially since in your case they're very apparent).
YYW
Posts: 36,233
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 4:42:59 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
I assume FT is just being himself, and he is either being short sighted or he is intentionally grasping at straws for the purpose of pushing a mislynch. I know he's as aggressive as he is reckless when he plays, though, so I'm cautious about scum reading him yet... (also he tends to think he's smarter than he is, despite the fact that he's a good player).

The reason I asked FT how many times he's played with me is to draw out the obvious answer: enough to know that I do not play as scum. I rage quit, because I dislike playing as scum. FT knows this. What I don't know is if he just forgot it, or if he's trying to mislead people.

in any case, I don't care, beyond the extent to which everyone should know that when scum, FT plays identically as when he is town, with the exception being that instead of pushing for evidence (like, trying to substantively advance the town by working with other people), what he does instead is appear to have had "epiphanies" of insight, whereafter he unilaterally pushes for lynches without a purpose.

I say this not because I have a read on him, but I know his MO... idk if you guys do or not. I haven't played this in a while.
BlazingRodent
Posts: 1,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 4:44:15 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/5/2016 4:27:08 AM, YYW wrote:
We are not mass claiming DP1. It's a bad idea because it does nothing to advance the town, because there is no reason to think that mafia couldn't hide in/exploit that chaos to their own advantage in any number of ways.

I am going to analyze your statements. I don't specifically scumread or townread you, but considering what FT has to say, I want to see you post more.
YYW
Posts: 36,233
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 4:45:47 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/5/2016 4:42:32 AM, FourTrouble wrote:
At 1/5/2016 4:31:59 AM, YYW wrote:
How many times have you played mafia with me?

I couldn't say. But I've seen you play as both town and mafia multiple times (e.g. mafia in my Nightless game and Mikal's Borderless game, town in Transformers and a few others whose name I can't remember, one of which was played as Nymph - that's more than enough games to locate differences in your play as either alignment, especially since in your case they're very apparent).

You are talking about games from ages ago... literally, like 8 months to a year ago. You know how I play now, and you know that I rage quit when scum, which is why you should know that your little treatise on why I am "the easiest person to clear" is idiotic.

The fact that I am here speaks to the extent to which I am town. Anyone who has ever played with me in live mafia knows that I only play in games where I get what I want, and you know as well as everyone else that I do not enjoy playing as scum, which is why your initial assault on me (who realistically I would have expected you to buddy with, rather than attack DP1) is giving me all kinds of red flags.

I don't know that I'm going to be able to trust you this game.
YYW
Posts: 36,233
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 4:46:47 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/5/2016 4:38:29 AM, FourTrouble wrote:
I couldn't care less about the mass claim. If people want to claim their roles, go ahead. If not, don't. The important thing is to NOT get distracted by a mass claim, or to get distracted arguing about whether to mass claim or not. The important thing is to stay focused on behavioral analysis, not get distracted by thematic or setup analysis, and not get distracted by theory arguments about the benefits/harms of mass claiming.

This bothers me. As town you are always interested in avoiding mass claims.
Sapphique
Posts: 4,110
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 4:47:29 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/5/2016 4:46:23 AM, BlazingRodent wrote:
At 1/5/2016 4:23:02 AM, Sapphique wrote:
VTL XLAV

You know why :P

Honestly I do not. Why are you voting XLAV?

Because he was scum in Witch Hunters Mafia that ended recently, and I was town, and he won for mafia, and I'm still kinda salty about it.
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch
BlazingRodent
Posts: 1,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 4:48:17 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/5/2016 4:26:39 AM, FourTrouble wrote:
Vote: YYW

Dude is known for his honestly. Can't hide his motivations even if he tried.

Considering that you are testing YYW (like me), I townread you.
YYW
Posts: 36,233
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 4:49:17 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/5/2016 4:46:23 AM, BlazingRodent wrote:
At 1/5/2016 4:23:02 AM, Sapphique wrote:
VTL XLAV

You know why :P

Honestly I do not. Why are you voting XLAV?

I am curious as to this as well. XLAV has a tendency to fail epically as scum, and FT has consistently always gone after XLAV first because he has always claimed that XLAV is the easiest person he knows to read, and he's really never deviated from this to the extent that I am aware (although this is based on his play from 6-8 months ago, so it may have changed since then).

The fact that XLAV is in this game, and FT didn't try to "confirm" him first is yet another red flag.
Sapphique
Posts: 4,110
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 4:49:30 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/5/2016 4:48:17 AM, BlazingRodent wrote:
At 1/5/2016 4:26:39 AM, FourTrouble wrote:
Vote: YYW

Dude is known for his honestly. Can't hide his motivations even if he tried.

Considering that you are testing YYW (like me), I townread you.

Why should testing YYW be alignment indicative?
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch
FourTrouble
Posts: 12,756
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 4:49:47 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
Vote: Blazing

@YYW

Vote for Blazing. As for your comments, they're mostly wrong. But that's okay. Doesn't matter when you last played mafia, the point is you're not very good at lying. It's also the first vote in the game, so I don't know why you're getting worked up about it. Your response is enough to get me moving somewhere else for the moment.
BlazingRodent
Posts: 1,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 4:50:24 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/5/2016 4:47:29 AM, Sapphique wrote:
At 1/5/2016 4:46:23 AM, BlazingRodent wrote:
At 1/5/2016 4:23:02 AM, Sapphique wrote:
VTL XLAV

You know why :P

Honestly I do not. Why are you voting XLAV?

Because he was scum in Witch Hunters Mafia that ended recently, and I was town, and he won for mafia, and I'm still kinda salty about it.

You know, being salty about someone being mafia and your desperation to lynch him seems peculiar.

FOS Sapphique
YYW
Posts: 36,233
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 4:51:06 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/5/2016 4:47:29 AM, Sapphique wrote:
At 1/5/2016 4:46:23 AM, BlazingRodent wrote:
At 1/5/2016 4:23:02 AM, Sapphique wrote:
VTL XLAV

You know why :P

Honestly I do not. Why are you voting XLAV?

Because he was scum in Witch Hunters Mafia that ended recently, and I was town, and he won for mafia, and I'm still kinda salty about it.

Did FT play that game?
BlazingRodent
Posts: 1,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 4:52:35 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/5/2016 4:49:47 AM, FourTrouble wrote:
Vote: Blazing

@YYW

Vote for Blazing. As for your comments, they're mostly wrong. But that's okay. Doesn't matter when you last played mafia, the point is you're not very good at lying. It's also the first vote in the game, so I don't know why you're getting worked up about it. Your response is enough to get me moving somewhere else for the moment.

I was doing exactly what you were doing, FT. I wanted to see how YYW would respond to get a good idea on whether he is town or mafia.
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 4:52:58 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/5/2016 4:49:47 AM, FourTrouble wrote:
Vote: Blazing

For the record, please unvote before re-voting. I will count this vote switch now, but will not in future.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...