Jump to topic:

Bullish's next mafia game - choices

Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 9:35:56 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
This thread is about my next mafia game, for which the sign ups should come up with in a couple of weeks. Going with the trend of letting players chose the theme, I'm thinking about rehashing a prior mechanic that I have employed (to see what people would do with a precedent), running a regular themed game, or running a vanilla-heavy semi-open game. The feedback in this thread will determine what type of game I will run.

Here are the choice:

- Spy Movie Mafia mechanic
- Game Theory Mafia mechanic
- Regular math/technology themed mafia, no flavors
- Regular math/technology themed mafia, with flavors
- Vanilla-heavy mafia semi-open

Please choose your preference and suggest possible tweaks to Spy Movie and Game Theory mechanics.

Description of each

Spy Movie Mafia mechanic

Reference: http://www.debate.org...
The major mechanic employed in this game was the Deep Cover Agent (DCA). The DCA is a player who is ostensibly mafia and is included in the mafia PM (and therefore knows who all the mafia are), but is actually town. To negate the town-insta-win effect of this, IF the mafia finds out who the DCA is, then they have the chance of gaining a significant advantage, which may include extra members.

I will tweak the original setup for balance. The potential for the actual mechanic is very complicated but all works out and is surprisingly not that unbalanced or swingy. One version of the mechanic which works is in the reference thread. A minimum of 13 players is required for the set up to work.

Game Theory Mafia mechanic

The major mechanic employed in this game was Game Theory. Each player had the open option to win with the other town, OR joint win as survivor with mafia. 'Mini-'games are given each night which allow town to either cooperate toward a higher chance of town win, or work in self interest for a joint win. The mafia will be weaker than in traditional games, and town's win or loss is very heavily dependent on its cooperativeness.

The new version of the game will have minigames redesigned, and the mafia may possibly keep the letter mechanic. 13+ players is necessary for this mechanic to function.

Regular themed mafia

Reference: http://www.debate.org... (unflavored); http://www.debate.org... (flavored)
A Regular themed mafia will be like many other DDO mafia games. Rolemadness, closed, themed, no special mechanics. My games will be pretty similar to the referenced ones, with role and theme changes. The theme will probably be STEM related and be open ended.

Vanilla-heavy mafia semi-open

Reference: http://wiki.mafiascum.net...
A vanilla-heavy semi-open set up called Matrix6 is the standard beginner game setup on a major mafia website MafiaScum. It has 11 players, 2 mafia, and 2~3 power roles, and players know possible combinations of the roles. I could run a similar semi-open game with 9 to 15 players that also has a low ratio of power roles. IF I do end up running this game, then I will incline strongly toward an odd number of players who have a good track record, and the signups will be more restricted.
0x5f3759df
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 10:07:54 PM
At 1/20/2016 9:35:56 PM, Bullish wrote:
This thread is about my next mafia game, for which the sign ups should come up with in a couple of weeks. Going with the trend of letting players chose the theme, I'm thinking about rehashing a prior mechanic that I have employed (to see what people would do with a precedent), running a regular themed game, or running a vanilla-heavy semi-open game. The feedback in this thread will determine what type of game I will run.

Here are the choice:

Please choose your preference and suggest possible tweaks to Spy Movie and Game Theory mechanics.

Description of each

Spy Movie Mafia mechanic

The major mechanic employed in this game was the Deep Cover Agent (DCA). The DCA is a player who is ostensibly mafia and is included in the mafia PM (and therefore knows who all the mafia are), but is actually town. To negate the town-insta-win effect of this, IF the mafia finds out who the DCA is, then they have the chance of gaining a significant advantage, which may include extra members.

I will tweak the original setup for balance. The potential for the actual mechanic is very complicated but all works out and is surprisingly not that unbalanced or swingy. One version of the mechanic which works is in the reference thread. A minimum of 13 players is required for the set up to work.

The major mechanic employed in this game was Game Theory. Each player had the open option to win with the other town, OR joint win as survivor with mafia. 'Mini-'games are given each night which allow town to either cooperate toward a higher chance of town win, or work in self interest for a joint win. The mafia will be weaker than in traditional games, and town's win or loss is very heavily dependent on its cooperativeness.

The new version of the game will have minigames redesigned, and the mafia may possibly keep the letter mechanic. 13+ players is necessary for this mechanic to function.

Regular themed mafia

Reference: http://www.debate.org... (unflavored); http://www.debate.org... (flavored)
A Regular themed mafia will be like many other DDO mafia games. Rolemadness, closed, themed, no special mechanics. My games will be pretty similar to the referenced ones, with role and theme changes. The theme will probably be STEM related and be open ended.

A vanilla-heavy semi-open set up called Matrix6 is the standard beginner game setup on a major mafia website MafiaScum. It has 11 players, 2 mafia, and 2~3 power roles, and players know possible combinations of the roles. I could run a similar semi-open game with 9 to 15 players that also has a low ratio of power roles. IF I do end up running this game, then I will incline strongly toward an odd number of players who have a good track record, and the signups will be more restricted.

Game Theory Mafia, for sure.

I have just finished a mostly-Vanilla, few-power-roles, weaker-scum-team game. I am tired of traditional games. The Spy Game is interesting, but Game Theory appeals to my liking of completely unorthodox games.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
Forever23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2016 12:19:48 AM
At 1/20/2016 10:07:54 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
At 1/20/2016 9:35:56 PM, Bullish wrote:

Here are the choice:

Description of each

Spy Movie Mafia mechanic

Regular themed mafia

Game Theory Mafia, for sure.

I have just finished a mostly-Vanilla, few-power-roles, weaker-scum-team game. I am tired of traditional games. The Spy Game is interesting, but Game Theory appeals to my liking of completely unorthodox games.

+1
SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2016 1:10:42 AM
You should run a combination of Spy Movie and Game Theory...
but if I have to pick, I choose Game Theory.
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2016 1:13:24 AM

"weak scum team"
pls

Also, my vote goes to Game Theory
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2016 1:17:06 AM
At 1/21/2016 1:13:24 AM, SeventhProfessor wrote:

"weak scum team"
pls

We only had a strongman and info dude. And popular or watevs ^.^
Seen better. Relatively weak scum team.

Also, my vote goes to Game Theory

yay
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2016 1:20:00 AM
At 1/21/2016 1:17:06 AM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:

"weak scum team"
pls

But you had the numbers advantage! You were competing against 11 people, so we'll pretend Cobalt was town and say the numbers were 11-3. So, barring failed Night Kills, town could only mislynch 4 times the entire game, way less than the recommended two mislynches for every mafioso.
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2016 1:25:16 AM
At 1/21/2016 1:20:00 AM, SeventhProfessor wrote:

"weak scum team"
pls

But you had the numbers advantage! You were competing against 11 people, so we'll pretend Cobalt was town and say the numbers were 11-3. So, barring failed Night Kills, town could only mislynch 4 times the entire game, way less than the recommended two mislynches for every mafioso.

so ur a basterd mod?
Suh dude

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2016 1:28:48 AM

"weak scum team"
pls

What? Noooo. The recommendation is one more lynch than the number of mafia.
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2016 1:38:12 AM
At 1/21/2016 1:28:48 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

"weak scum team"
pls

Suh dude

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2016 1:39:57 AM
At 1/21/2016 1:38:12 AM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:

"weak scum team"
pls

Nah, game theory is BS. Some Ayn Rand wannabe comes in and screws everyone over.
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2016 1:44:14 AM
At 1/21/2016 1:39:57 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
Nah, game theory is BS. Some Ayn Rand wannabe comes in and screws everyone over.

Mkay. You saddens me, but whatevs.
Suh dude

SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2016 2:28:09 AM
At 1/21/2016 1:25:16 AM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:

"weak scum team"
pls

so ur a basterd mod?

No, because two bp+doc balanced it out (which was a little overboard, hence your 1x strongman)
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

~mysteriouscrystals

~F-16

SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2016 2:29:16 AM
At 1/21/2016 1:39:57 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/21/2016 1:38:12 AM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:

"weak scum team"
pls

No, the Ayn Rand wannabe helped us win last time
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

~mysteriouscrystals

~F-16

Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2016 2:46:44 AM
Game theory! I'd be really interested in that.
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch
Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2016 3:28:16 AM
I take it Game theory needs more rationality detection (had 2 rationality cops last time), and the games need to be more absolute in terms of having uncounterable effects.
0x5f3759df
Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2016 3:34:44 AM
At 1/21/2016 1:10:42 AM, SolonKR wrote:

That would be insane... I don't have enough trust in my game crafting skills to make that one not crash and burn on DP1 though.
0x5f3759df
SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2016 5:10:35 AM
At 1/21/2016 3:34:44 AM, Bullish wrote:
At 1/21/2016 1:10:42 AM, SolonKR wrote:

That would be insane... I don't have enough trust in my game crafting skills to make that one not crash and burn on DP1 though.

I believe in you <3
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
yomama12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2016 4:08:29 PM
Sign me up for any of them, this will be FUN!
"Psycotic. Thats a three syllable word that explains ideas too big for little minds" -Alexander Luthor

"I choose not to take sides. No matter which I choose, someone's gonna be pissy with me." -Me.

"If I had wanted to be sober, I wouldn't have gotten drunk." -Unity

"Some people say I'm not smart. Those people get my fist." -Farkas
breakingamber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 3:17:54 PM
/in for Spy Game.
Sounds interesting. I can't wait.
MAY THE WRATH OF THE MODS BE UPON YOU!
- Master Elodin

"When will [Obliteration] learn that Funtimes' plan of saving/destroying the world with pancakes is the only way? "
"She wouldn't even have to make real pancakes! Just the batter, and Obliteration could cook it with his powers! OBLITERATION, YOU'RE WASTING YOUR TALENTS"
- Voidus and TwiLyghtSansSparkles

"An Epic stage magician and a zombie dinosaur? She sure as Braize won"t pull the line there!"
- Edgedancer
Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 9:35:52 PM
I'm in the process of designing Game Theory II, can I get some 2nd and 3rd opinions.
0x5f3759df