Jump to topic:

My Resignation

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 12:10:22 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
FT has informed me that he will leave if I stay until 46.x and continue to use the unvote rule. For the record, I believe moderators--even in a beginners series--should have some degree of discretion in setting their own rules in their own games. To say that moderators should have no discretion is to say that moderators should not exercise judgement which is to say that these series should be run by robots and not moderators. To me, that is a matter of principle.

Someone also asked me why I was resigning. I replied along these lines: "Because the comments in that thread constituted a vote of no confidence in my continuance in office. The way I thought best to run things for the noobs was resoundingly rejected. Some people objected to me personally. It was no longer tenable that I stay. Just as when the electorate votes in the Tories, Labour has to step down because their ideas and their platform has become outmoded." Hopefully that explains a bit my rationale here.

However, I see now that I have become an unnecessary distraction. Any referendum that would take place would necessarily be drama-filled and heated. I contacted a variety of people asking for their support in any such vote, but I do not honestly believe any such vote would be good for the community. I resoundingly reject the idea that moderators should be automatons, unable to make slight tweak here and there, and I reject that the unvote requirement had any demonstrable negative impact on the educational value of the series or on the fairness of the series's games.

Regardless, I do not want FT to quit the site should I win the referendum. I do not, in all honesty, want to undergo the ignominy of losing such a vote. And the vote in and of itself would invariably be a hot mess. Given my strident feelings on the matter of moderation discretion, and the fact that the community wants an automaton not a moderator, I am also questioning my own tenability in even the next few series.

I will therefore resign from my position as chief moderator of the Beginners' Series effective 43.x, rather than 46.x. I trust there are no major objections to this move. You now have "anyone but bsh1."

I want to wish future moderators--whoever they may be--good luck. I wish to publicly state my support for Saph's 2-game plan moving forward, and I wish to emphasize how I think I should be replaced [http://www.debate.org...]. These are solid proposals that should be seriously considered and--I hope--implemented. I would recommend that mods for the series not only be selected for their skill level, but also for their approachability and friendliness. I would be happy to help--if my help was desired--select people to serve on any pool of qualified mods, but I would not want to join it myself for some time. I believe I need a break from the series. I am sad things turned out this way, and I am sad that I or my philosophy on the series have lost the community's confidence. But, I hope that this change will be to the net benefit of the beginners' themselves.

I will therefore finish the ongoing series. At which point I will turn the series over to Saph if no official, permanent replacement mechanism has been agreed upon by community consensus. She can be the caretaker of it until such a mechanism has been established.

Thank you to all those who have ever participated in the series, to all those who helped me learn the ins-and-outs of modding, and to all those I consider my friends in this community. It's been a good run; it did not end as I had hoped, but it has ended. Thank you for sticking it out with me.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 12:19:32 PM
2 peole dictated your immediate step-down over the incorrect use of a role on DDO while the rest of the community said you can stay. The majority spoke for you. And now we get this. Ironic, how FT dares call you oppressive, when he has now almost unilaterally destroyed the Mafia community.

Sorry, bsh, but I may have to decline that admin position. I refuse to play mafia on this site again.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 12:22:24 PM
At 2/7/2016 12:19:32 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
2 peole dictated your immediate step-down over the incorrect use of a role on DDO while the rest of the community said you can stay. The majority spoke for you. And now we get this. Ironic, how FT dares call you oppressive, when he has now almost unilaterally destroyed the Mafia community.

I agree generally that a few members pretended as if they were the majority and acted in ways that were, perhaps, premature. I don't think he's destroyed the mafia community, though, and I certainly could've reacted to all of what happened with more levelheadedness. That said, what's done is done.

Sorry, bsh, but I may have to decline that admin position. I refuse to play mafia on this site again.

Okay.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 12:24:53 PM
It is also important to note that--since I was the face of the series for so long, noobs usually approached me when they wanted to join--the community needs to quickly decide on a new point-of-contact or "face" for the series who noobs can reach out to.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 12:25:05 PM
At 2/7/2016 12:22:24 PM, bsh1 wrote:

I agree generally that a few members pretended as if they were the majority and acted in ways that were, perhaps, premature. I don't think he's destroyed the mafia community, though, and I certainly could've reacted to all of what happened with more levelheadedness. That said, what's done is done.

Everything he refuses to compromise on will harm the noob community. And you're stepping down and allowing it to happen.

Okay.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 12:26:27 PM
At 2/7/2016 12:25:05 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Everything he refuses to compromise on will harm the noob community. And you're stepping down and allowing it to happen.

So I am the catalyst? You see why this was a catch-22.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 12:26:44 PM
FT and F-16 both have abrasive and unyielding personalities and would make poor points of contact for the new players. They are condescending, rude, and invoke their ages as if that were any claim to superiority.

Saph should be the new point of contact then.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 12:28:11 PM
At 2/7/2016 12:26:44 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
Saph should be the new point of contact then.

Without addressing the rest of your post, I second this.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 12:28:27 PM
At 2/7/2016 12:26:27 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Nonsense. You staying on would have set the record. You, like every other mod on this site, actually uses roles correctly. You teach new players. FT will be giving them awful ideas, and none of them will be able to fit in with regular games now. Not when they think roles do things that they do not. You staying on, as the majority wished, had no drawbacks.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 12:30:13 PM
At 2/7/2016 12:28:27 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Nonsense. You staying on would have set the record. You, like every other mod on this site, actually uses roles correctly. You teach new players. FT will be giving them awful ideas, and none of them will be able to fit in with regular games now. Not when they think roles do things that they do not. You staying on, as the majority wished, had no drawbacks.

The majority, if you read the pulse right, never chimed in, and I cannot operate under the kind of pressure that I was operating under and would operate under. This didn't, IMO, work out for the best, but it won't be the end of the world, either.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 12:31:28 PM
At 2/7/2016 12:30:13 PM, bsh1 wrote:

The majority, if you read the pulse right, never chimed in, and I cannot operate under the kind of pressure that I was operating under and would operate under. This didn't, IMO, work out for the best, but it won't be the end of the world, either.

Solon, Saph, HPG, Harder, myself, and maybe Bullish against FT and F-16. Seems like a clear majority to me.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 12:35:02 PM
At 2/7/2016 12:31:28 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Solon, Saph, HPG, Harder, myself, and maybe Bullish against FT and F-16. Seems like a clear majority to me.

Endark, 2 of those people, plus Maikuru, wanted me out eventually. Solon didn't really comment on whether I should go or stay.

My decision is probably hasty. I already regret it very deeply, but I don't see any other option that would've been better given the circumstances I found myself in.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 12:36:25 PM
At 2/7/2016 12:35:02 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Endark, 2 of those people, plus Maikuru, wanted me out eventually. Solon didn't really comment on whether I should go or stay.

My decision is probably hasty. I already regret it very deeply, but I don't see any other option that would've been better given the circumstances I found myself in.

Staying until 46 would have been better.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 12:36:32 PM
At 2/7/2016 12:30:40 PM, Bullish wrote:
Thanks for running 19~43.

Thanks.

And I was just 1 under 25 series...that's kind of a bummer, lol. 25 is such a nice, solid number. But, hey, 24's cool too.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 12:37:12 PM
At 2/7/2016 12:36:25 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Not with all the drama that would've ensued, plus FT leaving.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 12:38:09 PM

The definition of roleblocker always has been blocking players from doing night actions. FT did the right thing by correcting how the role is meant to be used.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 12:39:09 PM
At 2/7/2016 12:38:09 PM, XLAV wrote:

The definition of roleblocker always has been blocking players from doing night actions. FT did the right thing by correcting how the role is meant to be used.

The roleblocker on DDO has never stopped the NK. FT is wrong.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 12:39:50 PM
At 2/7/2016 12:37:12 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 2/7/2016 12:36:25 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Not with all the drama that would've ensued, plus FT leaving.

FT never stays anyway. He plays maybe 1 game every 2-3 months.
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 12:41:21 PM
At 2/7/2016 12:39:09 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Then we change the norm. The roleblocker on DDO should be able to stop the NK.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 12:41:26 PM
At 2/7/2016 12:39:50 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
FT never stays anyway. He plays maybe 1 game every 2-3 months.

Perhaps. But, I am not going to keep fighting this anymore. I have run out of energy and willpower and enthusiasm.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 12:41:36 PM
At 2/7/2016 12:36:32 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Thanks.

And I was just 1 under 25 series...that's kind of a bummer, lol. 25 is such a nice, solid number. But, hey, 24's cool too.

That is 25. 43-19+1=25. Unless you're referring to a 1 game break in the middle that someone else modded?
0x5f3759df
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 12:42:28 PM
At 2/7/2016 12:41:21 PM, XLAV wrote:
At 2/7/2016 12:39:09 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Then we change the norm. The roleblocker on DDO should be able to stop the NK.

No, it shouldn't. That's stupid and OP as hell.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 12:42:43 PM
At 2/7/2016 12:41:36 PM, Bullish wrote:
At 2/7/2016 12:36:32 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Thanks.

That is 25. 43-19+1=25. Unless you're referring to a 1 game break in the middle that someone else modded?

I forgot to add the +1...but knowing it's 25 actually, for some utterly irrational reason, makes me feel better about it.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 12:44:41 PM
At 2/7/2016 12:42:28 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

It's only OP and stupid if the mod makes it OP and stupid.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 12:48:39 PM
At 2/7/2016 12:44:41 PM, XLAV wrote:

Every other role in the game could be vanilla and it would be OP. Every town could be vanilla and the Mafia could have a shark which shoots laser beams that kills 3 people every night, and it would still be OP.
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 12:54:07 PM
At 2/7/2016 12:48:39 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Every other role in the game could be vanilla and it would be OP. Every town could be vanilla and the Mafia could have a shark which shoots laser beams that kills 3 people every night, and it would still be OP.

Mod's fault for not knowing how to balance his game, not the role.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 1:02:08 PM
At 2/7/2016 12:54:07 PM, XLAV wrote:
At 2/7/2016 12:48:39 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Mod's fault for not knowing how to balance his game, not the role.

No setup with a role that powerful can ever be balanced.
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 1:33:09 PM
At 2/7/2016 1:02:08 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

No setup with a role that powerful can ever be balanced.

Anything can be balance if you're creative enough.
ButterCatX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 1:47:34 PM
Don't stop because of a couple of bullies, you do something amazing and ultimately a mod's decision is final. If someone doesn't agree with a mod's choice they need to suck it up and live with it.
I bet fanfics are already being posted on random blogs about us.-Vaarka

Butters preformed his duty to the town and died with honor, he helped us kill scum, so we know have to go and make sure his death wasn't in vain and win this game for him.-lannan13

All hail the great and mighty Butters, who died for our inactive cause.-Vaarka

fuckith offith, lol.-Ore(talking to me)

And guess what happened to FT? He got raped to death.-Xlav

You are so obviously town I love you man.-VOT