Jump to topic:

Boycotting the Beginner's Series

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 8:29:58 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
We here in the DDO Mafia community affirm that bsh1 has been a wonderful moderator for the Beginner's Series, and while discussions of reform and change may have been necessary, the manner in which they were handled was abhorrent. We renounce the unilateral claims of members like FT and F-16 to be the sole arbiters of what is beneficial for the future generations of Mafia-players.

Some of us disagree with the changes themselves. But all of us disagree with the manner in which they were presented. It is intolerable that bsh1 was told literally anyone but him could mod. It is intolerable that bsh1 agreed to criticism after criticism, from removing the advisors to lowering the number of games in a series to stepping down after the 46th game, and yet his opponents still weren't satisfied. Not only that, but they outright refused to acknowledge their faulty and outright disregarded the possibility - the certainty - that their actions are not beneficial to the Mafia community.

We the undersigned resolve to boycott the Beginner's Series. None of us will play in, or even take any other means of involvement with, any games in the Beginner's Series until our conditions our met. The conditions are as follows.

Bsh1 must be reinstated
And/or
FT and F-16 must sincerely and publicly apologize for their shameful conduct.

1. Endark
2. The Voice of Truth
3. 1harderthanyouthink
4. Wylted
5. Lannan
6. Hayd
7. ButtercatX
8. BlazingRoden
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 8:30:12 PM
At 2/7/2016 8:29:58 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
We here in the DDO Mafia community affirm that bsh1 has been a wonderful moderator for the Beginner's Series, and while discussions of reform and change may have been necessary, the manner in which they were handled was abhorrent. We renounce the unilateral claims of members like FT and F-16 to be the sole arbiters of what is beneficial for the future generations of Mafia-players.

Some of us disagree with the changes themselves. But all of us disagree with the manner in which they were presented. It is intolerable that bsh1 was told literally anyone but him could mod. It is intolerable that bsh1 agreed to criticism after criticism, from removing the advisors to lowering the number of games in a series to stepping down after the 46th game, and yet his opponents still weren't satisfied. Not only that, but they outright refused to acknowledge their faulty and outright disregarded the possibility - the certainty - that their actions are not beneficial to the Mafia community.

We the undersigned resolve to boycott the Beginner's Series. None of us will play in, or even take any other means of involvement with, any games in the Beginner's Series until our conditions our met. The conditions are as follows.

Bsh1 must be reinstated
And/or

1. Endark
2. The Voice of Truth
3. 1harderthanyouthink
4. Wylted
5. Lannan
6. Hayd
7. ButtercatX
8. BlazingRodent
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 8:45:02 PM

#LongLiveTheBsh
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
BlazingRodent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 8:50:36 PM

Bsh1 must be reinstated
And/or

1. Endark
2. The Voice of Truth
3. 1harderthanyouthink
4. Wylted
5. Lannan
6. Hayd
7. ButtercatX
8. BlazingRodent

Can more be added to the list?
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 8:52:03 PM
At 2/7/2016 8:50:36 PM, BlazingRodent wrote:

Bsh1 must be reinstated
And/or

1. Endark
2. The Voice of Truth
3. 1harderthanyouthink
4. Wylted
5. Lannan
6. Hayd
7. ButtercatX
8. BlazingRodent

Can more be added to the list?

If they sign up, or if they tell me in a PM, then yes.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 8:57:20 PM
At 2/7/2016 8:52:12 PM, Geographia wrote:
What are people going on about now?

There are a few threads you should read, but the short story is that FT demanded a bunch of changes to the beginner's series which were already being implemented anyway, including the removal of the mandatory unvote rule. Bsh didn't want to remove that rule. F-16 and FT said that rule was a huge detriment to new players, and F-16 demanded that bsh vacate his spot as mod and let anyone else - literally anyone else - mod the beginner's series. Bsh agreed to a series of reforms, including setting up a rotating mod schedule for the beginner's series, but that still wasn't enough for FT and F-16. They demanded bsh use a certain role the way another site does even though DDO never has. Bsh refused. FT said he would quit playing Mafia on the site and threatened bsh with a public referendum. Bsh stepped down to avoid drama.
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 9:02:03 PM
My understanding is that bsh1 stepped down precisely so as to avoid this sort of thing. This is not an appropriate way to honor his legacy or wishes.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 9:52:16 PM
At 2/7/2016 8:45:02 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:

#LongLiveTheBsh
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 10:33:30 PM
At 2/7/2016 8:30:12 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Bsh1 must be reinstated
And/or

1. Endark
2. The Voice of Truth
3. 1harderthanyouthink
4. Wylted
5. Lannan
6. Hayd
7. ButtercatX
8. BlazingRodent
9. Forever23
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 11:04:17 PM
This won't help the noobs.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 11:05:41 PM
At 2/7/2016 11:04:17 PM, bsh1 wrote:

I think it will. Letting people capable of doing what FT and F-16 have done run the beginner's game will harm the newbs beyond reckoning. By removing enough players from the pool, they'll have to give in.

This should also be a clear sign that the majority do, in fact, desire you.
Hoppi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 11:19:23 PM

Bsh1 must be reinstated
And/or

1. Endark
2. The Voice of Truth
3. 1harderthanyouthink
4. Wylted
5. Lannan
6. Hayd
7. ButtercatX
8. BlazingRoden

Bsh1 is awesome. Nobody thinks otherwise. But this here is the problem. People should be able to express their opinions and dissatisfaction without this sort of drama.

Like, discuss the rules. Mix up the mods if that makes sense. It shouldn't be a big deal, and the fact that it IS a big deal is an illustration of what's going wrong here. A boycott? Lol. Mafia's supposed to be fun. It's not supposed to be let's play rules and committee.

I wish I could put this in another way, but you are just not being cool. And I'm a nerd saying that. But this is too much.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 11:22:31 PM
At 2/7/2016 11:19:23 PM, Hoppi wrote:

Bsh1 must be reinstated
And/or

1. Endark
2. The Voice of Truth
3. 1harderthanyouthink
4. Wylted
5. Lannan
6. Hayd
7. ButtercatX
8. BlazingRoden

Bsh1 is awesome. Nobody thinks otherwise. But this here is the problem. People should be able to express their opinions and dissatisfaction without this sort of drama.

Like, discuss the rules. Mix up the mods if that makes sense. It shouldn't be a big deal, and the fact that it IS a big deal is an illustration of what's going wrong here. A boycott? Lol. Mafia's supposed to be fun. It's not supposed to be let's play rules and committee.

I wish I could put this in another way, but you are just not being cool. And I'm a nerd saying that. But this is too much.

I don't know if you've followed everything, but we've had hours and hours of discussion over those where our side kept giving the other side what they wanted and the other side kept refusing to cave even once.
Hoppi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 11:26:05 PM
At 2/7/2016 11:22:31 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Bsh1 must be reinstated
And/or

1. Endark
2. The Voice of Truth
3. 1harderthanyouthink
4. Wylted
5. Lannan
6. Hayd
7. ButtercatX
8. BlazingRoden

I don't know if you've followed everything, but we've had hours and hours of discussion over those where our side kept giving the other side what they wanted and the other side kept refusing to cave even once.

Nah, I only saw the first bit, but yeah, this whole "cave" idea is weird? How did it become a negotiation? Shouldn't the issues be discussed on their merits?
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 11:27:03 PM
At 2/7/2016 11:26:05 PM, Hoppi wrote:

Bsh1 must be reinstated
And/or

1. Endark
2. The Voice of Truth
3. 1harderthanyouthink
4. Wylted
5. Lannan
6. Hayd
7. ButtercatX
8. BlazingRoden

Nah, I only saw the first bit, but yeah, this whole "cave" idea is weird? How did it become a negotiation? Shouldn't the issues be discussed on their merits?

Which they are, but when the other side puts their fingers in their ears and refuses to believe anything we say can have merit, you can't get very far.
Hoppi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 11:33:50 PM
At 2/7/2016 11:27:03 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Bsh1 must be reinstated
And/or

1. Endark
2. The Voice of Truth
3. 1harderthanyouthink
4. Wylted
5. Lannan
6. Hayd
7. ButtercatX
8. BlazingRoden

Which they are, but when the other side puts their fingers in their ears and refuses to believe anything we say can have merit, you can't get very far.

OK. Idk. At the start it didn't seem like your side didn't really mind about the rules, you just wanted to keep control over the process. And this boycott seems to be the same. Is this really about bsh1 sharing modding around and changing a couple of rules?
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 11:35:58 PM
At 2/7/2016 11:33:50 PM, Hoppi wrote:
At 2/7/2016 11:27:03 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Bsh1 must be reinstated
And/or

1. Endark
2. The Voice of Truth
3. 1harderthanyouthink
4. Wylted
5. Lannan
6. Hayd
7. ButtercatX
8. BlazingRoden

OK. Idk. At the start it didn't seem like your side didn't really mind about the rules, you just wanted to keep control over the process. And this boycott seems to be the same. Is this really about bsh1 sharing modding around and changing a couple of rules?

Bsh1 agreed to all of that. He agreed to a rotating mod system. He agreed to step down at game 46. He agreed to lessen the number of games in the series. This is about how they emotionally manipulated, threatened, and blackmailed bsh into their demands without ever be willing to discuss (since they would never accept that some of their ideas were bad).
Geographia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 11:36:20 PM

Don't worry. This place is reddit incarnate. This will blow over.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 11:37:26 PM
At 2/7/2016 11:36:20 PM, Geographia wrote:

Once FT and F-16 apologize, it sure will.
Torton
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 11:38:39 PM
At 2/7/2016 11:37:26 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

That's silly.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 11:45:30 PM
At 2/7/2016 11:05:41 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

I think it will. Letting people capable of doing what FT and F-16 have done run the beginner's game will harm the newbs beyond reckoning. By removing enough players from the pool, they'll have to give in.

It also threatens to deny noobs who do play the full experience.

I don't think it's tenable to stay while a significant group of notable players objects like this. It undermines the credibility of my position.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 11:48:53 PM
At 2/7/2016 11:38:39 PM, Torton wrote:

That's silly.

Unless you've followed all the drama - which you haven't, or you'd understand how cruel their actions are - you can't really say so.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 11:51:27 PM

Quite the pipe dream.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 11:52:58 PM
At 2/7/2016 11:45:30 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 2/7/2016 11:05:41 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

It also threatens to deny noobs who do play the full experience.p

In the short term. But in the end, it ensures they will have a much greater experience. Certainly better than one run by people like them.

I don't think it's tenable to stay while a significant group of notable players objects like this. It undermines the credibility of my position.

I don't understand why you always place so much more weight on what a vocal minority says about you.
Geographia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 12:16:57 AM

You'll forget about this by next week, assuming this thread isn't bumped.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 12:20:47 AM
At 2/8/2016 12:16:57 AM, Geographia wrote:

You seem to have no experience with me. I'm the site's residential writer. I don't forget things.
Geographia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 12:36:11 AM
At 2/8/2016 12:20:47 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 2/8/2016 12:16:57 AM, Geographia wrote:

You seem to have no experience with me. I'm the site's residential writer. I don't forget things.

I believe you wrote that fan fiction. Either way, you might remember, but no one will care after a while.