Jump to topic:

Is ignoring video game ratings bad for kids

SimpleAndrew
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2016 8:14:07 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
Can playing 18 rated games when underage cause you to make bad choices later in life, or is it best for you to see the violence early in life. Or is it something completely different, let me know what you all think...
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2016 8:54:37 PM
At 3/5/2016 8:14:07 PM, SimpleAndrew wrote:
Can playing 18 rated games when underage cause you to make bad choices later in life, or is it best for you to see the violence early in life. Or is it something completely different, let me know what you all think...

Rarely. It can very occasionally negatively influence people's lives but most of the time it has no effect and sometimes it can even have a positive effect (eg. increased reflex speed).
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 2:23:29 PM
At 3/5/2016 8:14:07 PM, SimpleAndrew wrote:

I think it can influence what they take interest in, but nothing dangerous or long-term.

I remember a few years ago, when I was about 12, my friend got call of duty, and we played it all the time. and for about a year, I was into the idea of warfare, running around and pretending to fight off bad guys. Just the idea of hiding behind my "cement barrier" and popping out to shoot a "Russian terrorist" was so much fun for me. But I never really thought I'd join the army or do anything like that. I just loved the idea of warfare, and even began to set up legos and whatnot like it, or building battle fields in minecraft on my singleplayer world.

I got out of it eventually, but I remember I was always imagining having some kind of rifle on me and taking down enemies wherever I was, and it wasn't until after I stopped thinking about that did I realize that I didn't really like having that mindset all the time.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I still do it sometimes, but not nearly as often, or as strange as I would then. I guess I just found some other kind of interests, like music, or another show, or another game...or girls ;3
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya