Jump to topic:

Lost at Sea

Opsianos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2016 2:00:29 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
This is an idea for a game I just came up with. If it seems interesting, then I will develop it into a fully structured game by mid-May. The format of the game is somewhat like Fate, but more heavily emphasizes strategy, communication skills, and prudence over luck-based mechanics (partly because I hate them due to having bad luck in games).

The context of the game is simple. You are on a lifeboat, alone with little supplies. The ship that you were on had sunk due to turbulent weather. You can make out a large island in the distance, but it looks tropical, uninhabited, and unfamiliar to the urban landscape you're accustomed to. If you're going to make it back to the mainland or survive long enough to be rescued, you'll have to go there. You will find out, however, that you're not alone...

So what's the objective of the game? How do you win? As mentioned, all you need to do is to successfully reach the mainland, survive until rescue, or other faster, but more difficult alternatives that may be implied, but not revealed. In other words, you just need to survive until you can escape the island.

To play, you only control one character, that is considered as your own self. You may interact with the island or other players in whatever way that you wish, but remember that all actions will take up Time daily. If you run out of Time, you cannot make any more actions until all other players have run out of Time as well. The game Time in a day is equivalent to that of a real life day, so Time will automatically reset every 24 hours, regardless of how much remained, and the next in-game day will start. I *will* have to give you results after every action, so you cannot just give them once in a row.

The sooner you escape the island, the better; the winners will be differentiated by how quickly they were able to beat the game, and any method is accepted. However, extreme caution is advised, as death in the game is permanent (Note: I probably will revise it later to be more forgiving). If you screw up, you will lose all progress in the game that you have made so far, so take care.

Anyway, let me know what you all think. This is just an idea so far, so I'll probably elaborate on it much further. Again, if it's interesting, let me know and I'll be running the game once my exams are over.
Have no regrets.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2016 2:05:49 PM
At 4/26/2016 2:00:29 PM, Opsianos wrote:
This is an idea for a game I just came up with. If it seems interesting, then I will develop it into a fully structured game by mid-May. The format of the game is somewhat like Fate, but more heavily emphasizes strategy, communication skills, and prudence over luck-based mechanics (partly because I hate them due to having bad luck in games).

The context of the game is simple. You are on a lifeboat, alone with little supplies. The ship that you were on had sunk due to turbulent weather. You can make out a large island in the distance, but it looks tropical, uninhabited, and unfamiliar to the urban landscape you're accustomed to. If you're going to make it back to the mainland or survive long enough to be rescued, you'll have to go there. You will find out, however, that you're not alone...

So what's the objective of the game? How do you win? As mentioned, all you need to do is to successfully reach the mainland, survive until rescue, or other faster, but more difficult alternatives that may be implied, but not revealed. In other words, you just need to survive until you can escape the island.

To play, you only control one character, that is considered as your own self. You may interact with the island or other players in whatever way that you wish, but remember that all actions will take up Time daily. If you run out of Time, you cannot make any more actions until all other players have run out of Time as well. The game Time in a day is equivalent to that of a real life day, so Time will automatically reset every 24 hours, regardless of how much remained, and the next in-game day will start. I *will* have to give you results after every action, so you cannot just give them once in a row.

The sooner you escape the island, the better; the winners will be differentiated by how quickly they were able to beat the game, and any method is accepted. However, extreme caution is advised, as death in the game is permanent (Note: I probably will revise it later to be more forgiving). If you screw up, you will lose all progress in the game that you have made so far, so take care.

Anyway, let me know what you all think. This is just an idea so far, so I'll probably elaborate on it much further. Again, if it's interesting, let me know and I'll be running the game once my exams are over.

Sounds interesting
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Opsianos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2016 7:45:20 PM
Also, I would think that there are situations that are in your best interest to have another player as your ally, and there are others when it is in your best interest to kill a specific player. I suppose that diplomacy skills are also key to this game in player interactions.
Have no regrets.
Opsianos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2016 11:44:36 PM
At 4/26/2016 4:51:10 PM, Dragon_of_Christ wrote:
/out

That looks much better.

Seriously, though, I can't trust you to play the game seriously based on what I've seen of your past accounts and behavior on the forums and Mafia, so I probably won't let you in if I make the game.
Have no regrets.
Dragon_of_Christ
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2016 12:46:34 AM
At 4/26/2016 11:44:36 PM, Opsianos wrote:
/out

That looks much better.

Seriously, though, I can't trust you to play the game seriously based on what I've seen of your past accounts and behavior on the forums and Mafia, so I probably won't let you in if I make the game.

At the time everyone including imabench hated my guts.

It is all over.

I have actually had civilized conversations with imabench now.

You can trust me now.

But i would understand if you had reluctance.
Jesus loves you.

////////////

-Funny Links-
http://tinyurl.com...

Stupid atheist remarks #: 6
Dragon_of_Christ
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2016 12:47:16 AM
/out

That looks much better.

https://m.youtube.com...
Jesus loves you.

////////////

-Funny Links-

Opsianos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2016 12:49:08 AM
At 4/27/2016 12:27:13 AM, The_Great_Amalgam wrote:
This looks extremely interesting and very fun. I probably would die really fast though...

/in

No problem, lol. I would say that you'll be fine if you're able to envision the situation well, and be aware of the possible dangers and events that may occur and are expected of while trying to survive.
Have no regrets.
The_Great_Amalgam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2016 1:06:47 AM
At 4/27/2016 12:49:08 AM, Opsianos wrote:
This looks extremely interesting and very fun. I probably would die really fast though...

/in

No problem, lol. I would say that you'll be fine if you're able to envision the situation well, and be aware of the possible dangers and events that may occur and are expected of while trying to survive.

Understandable of course!
missbailey8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2016 1:16:51 AM
/in
~missbailey8~

Me: What is the weirdest thing I have ever done?
Solon: Agreeing to date me.

Skep: Bailey, you have sardonic written all over your face.
Annie: She has gorgeous written all over her face!

"[M]en are weak. All of us are weak."
-Fatihah

If you ever just want someone to vent, rant, or discuss anything troubling you, my PMs are always open. Have a fabulous day!

The Clown Queen of DDO
Dragon_of_Christ
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2016 2:10:50 AM
At 4/27/2016 12:49:08 AM, Opsianos wrote:

/in

I am great at role play.

Just saying.

Give me a situation, i'll prove it.
Jesus loves you.

////////////

-Funny Links-

Opsianos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2016 1:02:33 PM
I think 5 to 8 players should suffice, by the way. Playing won't require too much work on your part.
Have no regrets.
breakingamber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2016 5:32:17 PM
Sounds fun.

I'll bite. /in
MAY THE WRATH OF THE MODS BE UPON YOU!
- Master Elodin

"When will [Obliteration] learn that Funtimes' plan of saving/destroying the world with pancakes is the only way? "
"She wouldn't even have to make real pancakes! Just the batter, and Obliteration could cook it with his powers! OBLITERATION, YOU'RE WASTING YOUR TALENTS"
- Voidus and TwiLyghtSansSparkles

"An Epic stage magician and a zombie dinosaur? She sure as Braize won"t pull the line there!"
- Edgedancer
Opsianos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2016 1:17:18 PM
Also, note that I reserve judgment in accepting players. I probably won't be picky, though, since if there are more than 8 people interested, I'll just expand the number of slots.
Have no regrets.
Opsianos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 4:51:06 PM
I'll just make a signups list, just to gauge how many players would play.

SIGN-UPS:
1. Vaarka
2. Dragon_of_Christ (tentatively)
3. Amal
4. Mb8
5. Amber
6. 316 (tentatively)
7. Geo
Have no regrets.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 5:30:21 AM
Sounds like fun. I would love to play assuming it starts after 2 weeks.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Opsianos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 1:23:27 PM
At 5/3/2016 5:30:21 AM, lannan13 wrote:
Sounds like fun. I would love to play assuming it starts after 2 weeks.

I'm almost certain that it will be more than two weeks, so I'll put you as /in.
Have no regrets.
Opsianos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 1:24:07 PM
SIGN-UPS:
1. Vaarka
3. Amal
4. Mb8
5. Breakingamber
6. 316 (tentatively)
7. Geographia
8. Lannan13
Have no regrets.
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2016 7:46:35 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 4/27/2016 12:46:34 AM, Dragon_of_Christ wrote:
/out

That looks much better.

At the time everyone including imabench hated my guts.

It is all over.

I have actually had civilized conversations with imabench now.

You can trust me now.

But i would understand if you had reluctance.

I vouch for him.
New episode of OUTSIDERS: http://www.debate.org...
Episode 4 - They walk among us
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2016 7:58:01 PM
At 5/3/2016 1:24:07 PM, Opsianos wrote:
SIGN-UPS:
1. Vaarka
3. Amal
4. Mb8
5. Breakingamber
6. 316 (tentatively)
7. Geographia
8. Lannan13

Count me in :)
New episode of OUTSIDERS: http://www.debate.org...
Episode 4 - They walk among us
Opsianos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2016 8:05:08 PM
SIGN-UPS:
1. Vaarka
3. Amal
4. Mb8
5. Breakingamber
6. 316 (tentatively)
7. Geographia
8. Lannan13
9. Adam
Have no regrets.
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2016 11:56:30 AM
At 5/9/2016 8:05:08 PM, Opsianos wrote:
SIGN-UPS:
6. 316 (tentatively)

why am I listed as tentative?
roun12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2016 12:03:43 PM
This sounds interesting. Have you thought of a name for this game?
"No, I disagree. 'R' is among the most menacing of sounds. That's why they call it MURDER, not Muckduck." - Dwight

"Tell people there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure." - George Carlin