---Murder Mystery Mafia: DP1---

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 7:08:48 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
Welcome to Murder Mystery Mafia!

I hope that this is a fun, balanced game, and that everyone enjoys playing! Bonam Fortunam!

RULES

Read all of the following information carefully. It will behoove you to do so.

Activity

You are required to make 10 posts per DP. At least 5 of those posts must be substantive. A substantive post is any post the advances the progress of the game. The determination of what is or is not a substantive post is mine, and mine alone, to make.

Failure to meet this activity standard makes you eligible for replacement. If you know in advance that you won't be active, tell me ahead of time, otherwise I will have a lot less sympathy for you. For those who were insufficiently active but who had legitimate reasons for the low activity, I will expect you to make up for your inactivity in the next DP. You may receive 1 activity prompt in the last 24 to 12 hours of a DP; this is not guaranteed. A failure to get this prompt out to you will not excuse any inactivity.

PM Etiquette

Don't use PM structure, wincons, PM time stamps, or things of that ilk as points of analysis in the game. Discussion of these issues is strictly prohibited. You may not C/P anything from your PMs into the game or take photos of your PMs. There is to be no communicating via non-mod-initiated methods, even with your teammates or hydra halves. This means there is to be no game-related discussion on G+ hangouts, rabb.it hangouts, unauthorized PMs on site, PMs offsite, etc. If you suspect or know that any such communication is taking place, you are obligated to inform me immediately.

Remember, paraphrasing is your friend. You may only paraphrase PM content. An acceptable paraphrase should substantially change the original wording of the passage, and that change should be noticeably more than mere deletion or addition. Violation of the rules in this section ("PM Etiquette") are the most severe breaches of rules in my games, and will most likely result in instantaneous mod-kills.

Other Issues

Observe civil and good conduct. Except in cases of exceptional rudeness, anyone who violates the conduct policy will receive 1 warning. Violations past that warning will result in you being replaced or mod-killed. What constitutes civil and good conduct is at my discretion. Additionally, all players must play to their win-con. Attempts to throw the game will not be tolerated. Play to win. Finally, excessive spamming, trolling, or thread derailment will also not be tolerated, and operates on the "1 warning, then replacement/mod-kill" paradigm.

Cycles and Voting

All DPs will be 72 hours long until the total number of players reaches the single digits. At that point, all DPs will become 48 hours. NPs will always be 24 hours less than the previous DP (so, a 48 hour DP is followed by a 24 hour NP). I am willing to grant extensions for the DPs or NPs upon request, but it will be at my discretion whether to grant those requests. DP extensions will be 12-24 hours; NP extensions will be 6-12 hours. Votes or unvotes cast in twilight will not be assessed. Once a lynch is secured, the DP immediately ends; you must refrain from posting after a lynch is announced or secured. A policy of majority (as opposed to plurality) lyncing is in force for this game. You are not required to unvote before re-voting, but you are required to use the acronym "VTL" to preface your votes and to bold your votes, if only to make it less likely I don't see your vote.

GAME SET-UP

Setting

Appius Iulius Poplicola Cappadocicus is murdered in the aftermath of an ancient Roman election campaign. This crime was never solved, and no one was brought to justice for his death. You will be provided a historical account of the events tied to the assassination; this account was written by Tiberius Sertorius Pictor 70 years after the events had transpired. Pictor wrote four pages in his histories regarding this affair, and for the first 4 day phases, one page of those five will be included. You will be the characters mentioned in Pictor's account, and will endeavor to solve this very cold case to rewrite history and put someone to death for Poplicola's murder.

Two Disclaimers

Firstly, these events are totally fictitious. While I tried to create realistic Roman names for the characters (with fuller-than-usual names for women) and to create a realistic plotline not devoid of fact, these events are fake. However, the fact that I will be using some realistic elements to construct the game may require some research on your part.

Secondly, I am not getting my degree in Roman history or Latin. I have looked extensively into the history, but there is room for me to be inaccurate about something--either because I didn't know, or it didn't fit creatively. Keep that in mind as you proceed in the game.

Miscellaneous Game Information

This game takes place in Rome circa 125 BCE--the waning years of the Roman Republic. For context, Julius Caesar becomes Dictator in 49 BCE, marking the end of the Republic. I will be writing the four OP blurbs in the persona of Tiberius Sertorius Pictor. In addition to the storyline, there are clues hidden on the persons of each character. When a player dies, these clues will be revealed in the OP of the DP. There will not be a metaphorical smoking gun provided; that would make it too easy for players to break the game. Also, since Roman names are wierd, you may want to keep a running "dramatis personae" of the characters included in the story.

PICTOR's HISTORY, PART 1

Appius Iulius Poplicola's victory in Thrace was received with jubilation by the people of Rome. The rebellion that had lasted six years had now been brought to a swift and decisive conclusion. Returning from his successful campaign in Cappadocia and Pontus, Poplicola intercepted Thracian forces retreating from Appius Acilius Albinus's legions, defeating them at a crossing along the Hebrus river north of Parium. The Greeks were unprepared to cross the river, lacking the tools to quickly assemble rafts. With Acilius' bearing down from the Southeast, Poplicola was able to commandeer boats from local fishermen who lived on the side of the river opposite to the Thracians. Using these, he crossed the river and confronted them from the North, where the slaughter of their undisciplined force was total and rapid. He returned word of his actions to Rome by courier, and then met up with Acilius. Poplicola then took the main Thracian stronghold, and claimed its wealth for him and his men. He already had an army's worth of Thracian slaves to sell at the market as well. Poplicola's wealth would grow tenfold. Poplicola had also taken over the command in Cappadocia and Pontus after Vibius Galerius Aculeo, Proconsul, had failed for two years to achieve Roman objectives. His successes in Thrace and in Asia soon gave Poplicola a reputation as a military leader who could end otherwise impossible conflicts.

(continued in next post)
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 7:09:16 AM
(continued from above)

The courier also conveyed to the Senate that Poplicola would stand for a third consecutive consulship, and would do so in absentia, for he would not arrive in Rome in time to stand for the election. This proclamation caused much consternation, with Senators dividing clearly between the Optimate and Populare factions in their opinions on the matter. There was heated debate in the Senate, with Poplicola's brother and former Consul, Numerius Iulius Natta, arguing eloquently before the body that it would be an affront to the dignitas of such a victorious general to deny him this honor. Moreover, no more qualified or beloved leader was alive today to steer the Republic towards prosperity. Rome should rejoice and be thankful for the ending of the Thracian chapter, a chapter that had dragged on too long by all accounts. Publius Caecilius Postumus, Censor, never a man of many words, but respected for his deep commitment to the principles of the Republic, recommended the Senate against Poplicola"s candidacy with this sentence, which will forever be etched into our history for its succinct power, "Rex ipse dominator in aeternum."

Following Natta, the Senate conferred upon Poplicola two Triumphs--one for his campaign in Asia and one for his victory in Thrace--to be enjoyed upon his return to the city, as well as a week of thanksgiving. He was further awarded the agnomen of "Cappadocicus." He would be allowed to stand for the election; the motion was put before the Concilium Plebis by the Tribunes, led by Publius Ulpius Aggripa. The assembly voted in such an overwhelming number in support of Poplicola that even Caecilius was awestruck. Poplicola's support was unmatched.

Paullus Naevius Nasica, former Praetor; Opiter Acilius Metellus Bithynius, former Aedile; and Aulus Ulpius Pulcher, former Praetor, announced that they too would stand. Metellus, the hero of the battle at Bithynia, was the leading candidate for the Optimates. His military accomplishment was unquestionable, and he had put on a spectacular games during his time as Aedile, making him popular among the people. Nasica came from a family that had put forth four consuls in the previous fifty years, and celebrated his noble and distinguished lineage. Aulus and Poplicola were bound by family, with Poplicola having married Septima Ulpia Gemella just two years prior. The two families agreed to support each other during the election. Aulus, of his own merit, was a novus homo, having been his families' first elected Quaestor and then Praetor, and serving without controversy in the Senate. An Equestrian, his family had amassed much trade wealth during the lifetime of his father.

LIVING PLAYERS

1. XLAV
2. Saph
3. Amalgam
4. Ops
5. Miss
6. Lannan
7. Obi
8. TUF
9. Tej
10. Budda
11. Uther
12. Vaar
13. Kiri
14. Zam
15. Fire
16. Solon
17. Adam
18. Oromagi

With 18 players alive, it takes 10 votes to lynch.
The DP ends at 3:00am, Eastern Time, on 5/19/16.

Again, bonam fortunam! Let the games begin.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 7:11:11 AM
Reading the OP now.

I got "innocent," and I'm guessing that means "town."
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 7:18:15 AM
At 5/16/2016 7:11:11 AM, tejretics wrote:
Reading the OP now.

I got "innocent," and I'm guessing that means "town."

lol, so much for no wincon discussion.

Tej is town for sure.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 7:22:21 AM
At 5/16/2016 7:16:21 AM, XLAV wrote:
VTL TUF

Why?
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 7:24:30 AM
At 5/16/2016 7:22:55 AM, XLAV wrote:
Why not?

There's no benefit to it. "RVS" is a misnomer -- it isn't really "random." There's always a reason to put pressure on someone, e.g. based on how they react to pressure. I have no clue what TUF's meta is -- I've never played with him, nor have I read his games -- so I'm asking if there's any means by which TUF reacts to pressure. There are "pressure points," ways to apply pressure to different people to judge their reactions. RVS is structured for behavioral analysis. So what behavioral analysis can you gain from this?
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 7:24:42 AM
XLAV feels town.
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 7:27:10 AM
At 5/16/2016 7:24:30 AM, tejretics wrote:

There's no benefit to it. "RVS" is a misnomer -- it isn't really "random." There's always a reason to put pressure on someone, e.g. based on how they react to pressure. I have no clue what TUF's meta is -- I've never played with him, nor have I read his games -- so I'm asking if there's any means by which TUF reacts to pressure. There are "pressure points," ways to apply pressure to different people to judge their reactions. RVS is structured for behavioral analysis. So what behavioral analysis can you gain from this?

I'm vtl'ing for the fuk of it.

Though you could say that him being an inactive cop, who skipped 2 NP actions in forever's game, as my motive.
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 7:27:32 AM
At 5/16/2016 7:25:05 AM, XLAV wrote:
Dammit it Tej.

I already like your first post, but you ruined it with your "whyyy"

Nvm, I read your reasons.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 7:42:42 AM
VOTE COUNT

TUF (1/10) - XLAV

I'm logging off for the night now.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Oromagi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 7:46:28 AM
At 5/16/2016 7:29:26 AM, XLAV wrote:
oh man, Wylted is not here. I need someone to buddy with.

two years later u 2 are still buddying up? That's kinda sweet
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 8:08:30 AM
At 5/16/2016 7:48:40 AM, XLAV wrote:
Any reads so far?

You're trolling, right? Three people have posted.

You feel like town -- that's about all I have.
Oromagi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 8:15:23 AM
At 5/16/2016 7:48:40 AM, XLAV wrote:
Long time no see, Oro. I didn't expect you to be in this game.

Any reads so far?

I know! I had to bribe a couple of tribuni plebis just to get in thru the the Porta Appia

I don't know most people so no reads
Oromagi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 8:44:42 AM
Are we certain Poplicola was murdered? I suspect he was already sick....Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis, that is.
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 9:31:18 AM
At 5/16/2016 8:44:42 AM, Oromagi wrote:
Are we certain Poplicola was murdered? I suspect he was already sick....Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis, that is.

English pleaze.

And if he was sick this whole time then everyone is town.
Oromagi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 10:06:07 AM
At 5/16/2016 9:31:18 AM, XLAV wrote:

English pleaze.

It's a little joke, what Brutus brayed when he stabbed his dad....supposedly.
The_Great_Amalgam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 12:17:14 PM
At 5/16/2016 10:06:07 AM, Oromagi wrote:
At 5/16/2016 9:31:18 AM, XLAV wrote:

English pleaze.

It's a little joke, what Brutus brayed when he stabbed his dad....supposedly.

If we're going with those kinds of jokes maybe it was a suicide similar to Julius Ceaser?
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 12:41:26 PM
VOTE COUNT

TUF (1/10) - XLAV
Miss (1/10) - Amalgam
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

ObiWan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 12:54:18 PM
Tej's opening feels town to me. Nothing from XLAV's though.

I won't be overly active for the 24 hours, Tuesdays are really busy for me at uni and I have another game to finish off as well but hopefully by then there'll be more to analyse here anyway.
These are not the droids you're looking for.
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 12:55:20 PM
At 5/16/2016 12:22:04 PM, The_Great_Amalgam wrote:
Also VTL Miss

Not only RVS, but also because she and Flex kept on taking my spot in Forever's game, and I am still salty about that.

You should be happy about that. We were gonna lynch Billy anyway.
The_Great_Amalgam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 12:56:43 PM
At 5/16/2016 12:55:20 PM, XLAV wrote:
At 5/16/2016 12:22:04 PM, The_Great_Amalgam wrote:
Also VTL Miss

Not only RVS, but also because she and Flex kept on taking my spot in Forever's game, and I am still salty about that.

You should be happy about that. We were gonna lynch Billy anyway.

Kek true. It was fun to watch it dissolve though. Just wished it was more active. Also, why Billy? The name not the lynch.
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 12:58:17 PM
At 5/16/2016 12:56:43 PM, The_Great_Amalgam wrote:

Kek true. It was fun to watch it dissolve though. Just wished it was more active. Also, why Billy? The name not the lynch.

Because new Bailey seems repetitive. So I named the 2nd Bailey, Billy.
The_Great_Amalgam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 12:59:50 PM
At 5/16/2016 12:58:17 PM, XLAV wrote:
At 5/16/2016 12:56:43 PM, The_Great_Amalgam wrote:

Because new Bailey seems repetitive. So I named the 2nd Bailey, Billy.

Makes sense.

Also congrats with 13,000 post!