Total Posts:8|Showing Posts:1-8
Jump to topic:

Mafia Discussion

Korashk
Posts: 4,597
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2010 4:41:00 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
So here is a topic to discuss things about mafia. currently I have two notions I'd like to express.

The first is the existence of the role "lie detector." In my opinion this is a broken role. It is simply much too powerful and reduces the quality of games because it is an investigation that can bypass all attempts to thwart investigation via a cleverly worded phrase.

The second is that having to unvote before you change your vote is pointless. It just makes vote counting harder. In the games that I've modded I've begin to remove this rule.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2010 4:43:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/23/2010 4:41:00 PM, Korashk wrote:
So here is a topic to discuss things about mafia. currently I have two notions I'd like to express.

The first is the existence of the role "lie detector." In my opinion this is a broken role. It is simply much too powerful and reduces the quality of games because it is an investigation that can bypass all attempts to thwart investigation via a cleverly worded phrase.

The second is that having to unvote before you change your vote is pointless. It just makes vote counting harder. In the games that I've modded I've begin to remove this rule.

I agree with both. Lie detector just can end a game too easily, and yeah, the unvote thing seems an extra unnecessary step.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2010 4:57:15 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/23/2010 4:41:00 PM, Korashk wrote:
So here is a topic to discuss things about mafia. currently I have two notions I'd like to express.

The first is the existence of the role "lie detector." In my opinion this is a broken role. It is simply much too powerful and reduces the quality of games because it is an investigation that can bypass all attempts to thwart investigation via a cleverly worded phrase.

The second is that having to unvote before you change your vote is pointless. It just makes vote counting harder. In the games that I've modded I've begin to remove this rule.

Both things should be up to each individual moderator. If you hate the role of Lie Detector, don't play in games with mods who said they may continue to use it. If you're modding yourself, you obviously don't have to include it. Other than that I don't see how it's broken. I also don't think it's too powerful, especially considering the Godfather may be immune to them. Otherwise it's no more powerful than a cop role. In fact, it's a role that can be strategically important, considering people might try to be manipulative with their statements (though the "I win with the town" vs. "I win with a town" mumbo jumbo is admittedly annoying). If the entire role continues to annoy people, mods simply won't use it. I despise some of the roles made up by the Texans (and this is me being genuine -- I find them over-complicated and ridiculously over-powered) but obviously I have no say if they decide to implement those roles.

Also, I've modded many games as well and personally think unvoting is helpful. However, at least half the time many people forget to unvote. I usually remind them or simply count their new vote anyway, but I think it does help maintain clarity in certain situations and thus again should be up to the mod (for instance they might suggest but not mandate it, etc.). Besides, it's not like it takes a lot of effort to type "Unvote." I think I just typed it in about .08 seconds. If people "forget" to unvote, once again that can be considered part of the strategy or challenge :P
President of DDO
Korashk
Posts: 4,597
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 7:34:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'm starting a movement of moderators committed to stopping the use of the role "Jester" in the games they make. It's a dumb role that's only serves to give a third party player an easy win.

1.) Korashk
2.)
3.)
4.)
5.)
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 7:35:32 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/23/2011 7:34:13 PM, Korashk wrote:
I'm starting a movement of moderators committed to stopping the use of the role "Jester" in the games they make. It's a dumb role that's only serves to give a third party player an easy win.

1.) Korashk
2.)
3.)
4.)
5.)

stupid initiative. A Jester makes things confusing for the town and in a lot of games I've played it hasn't been easy for a jester to win.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
M.Torres
Posts: 3,626
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 7:35:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/23/2011 7:34:13 PM, Korashk wrote:
I'm starting a movement of moderators committed to stopping the use of the role "Jester" in the games they make. It's a dumb role that's only serves to give a third party player an easy win.

1.) Korashk
2.)
3.)
4.)
5.)

LOL

I think I know the origin of this movement.
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
M.Torres
Posts: 3,626
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 7:36:55 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
And, by the way, I was wondering...

How would one go about in being a moderator/starting a Mafia game? Because I am interested in doing so.
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
Korashk
Posts: 4,597
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 7:37:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/23/2011 7:36:55 PM, M.Torres wrote:
And, by the way, I was wondering...

How would one go about in being a moderator/starting a Mafia game? Because I am interested in doing so.

There's a list: http://www.debate.org...
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown