Jump to topic:

Pokemon Go = Darwinism at it's finest

missbailey8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 10:18:41 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
You want to lose even more hope for humanity? Well, there's this new mobile game called Pokemon Go. For those who don't know what this game is, here's a brief synopsis as provided by the Wikipedia article about it.

"The game allows players to capture, battle, and train virtual Pok"mon who appear throughout the real world. It makes use of GPS and the camera of compatible devices." [1]

Seems harmless, right? Despite it only being released on July 6th, it already has become one of the greatest modern day examples of survival of the fittest. For example, two men fell off a cliff while playing the game. [2] Here's another excerpt from the Wikipedia article.

"Other incidents include minor fall injuries and armed robberies. One person who was distracted by the game crashed his car into a tree. Residents of the Sydney suburb of Rhodes became fed up with large numbers of players gathering in their area, and threw waterbombs at visiting players. Players outside of populated, urban areas criticized the lack of Pok"Stops and gyms in their local area. The app was also criticized for using locations such as cemeteries and memorials as sites to catch Pokemon, including the Auschwitz-Birkenau State Museum and the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. The game sparked complaints from Dutch company ProRail, who said that players had entered their railway tracks, and fire stations told players to not impede their staff by congregating outside." [1]

Remember, this came out just over a week ago.

Oh yeah, remember how it said that Pokemon from the game were found in the Auschwitz-Birkenau State Museum? They soon had to release an official statement to say that they wouldn't allow people to play Pokemon Go there because it would disrespect the victims of the Holocaust. Yes, it got that bad.

So remember kids, while we're always going to have stupid people in every generation, maybe natural selection will take it's course eventually.

Citations
[1]https://en.m.wikipedia.org...
[2]http://www.nbcsandiego.com...
~missbailey8~

Me: What is the weirdest thing I have ever done?
Solon: Agreeing to date me.

Skep: Bailey, you have sardonic written all over your face.
Annie: She has gorgeous written all over her face!

"[M]en are weak. All of us are weak."
-Fatihah

If you ever just want someone to vent, rant, or discuss anything troubling you, my PMs are always open. Have a fabulous day!

The Clown Queen of DDO
missbailey8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 10:19:59 PM
I just realized the typo I made in the title.

*Darwinism at its finest

F*ck.
~missbailey8~

-Fatihah

If you ever just want someone to vent, rant, or discuss anything troubling you, my PMs are always open. Have a fabulous day!

The Clown Queen of DDO
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 10:27:23 PM
At 7/14/2016 10:18:41 PM, missbailey8 wrote:
You want to lose even more hope for humanity? Well, there's this new mobile game called Pokemon Go. For those who don't know what this game is, here's a brief synopsis as provided by the Wikipedia article about it.

"The game allows players to capture, battle, and train virtual Pok"mon who appear throughout the real world. It makes use of GPS and the camera of compatible devices." [1]

Seems harmless, right? Despite it only being released on July 6th, it already has become one of the greatest modern day examples of survival of the fittest. For example, two men fell off a cliff while playing the game. [2] Here's another excerpt from the Wikipedia article.

"Other incidents include minor fall injuries and armed robberies. One person who was distracted by the game crashed his car into a tree. Residents of the Sydney suburb of Rhodes became fed up with large numbers of players gathering in their area, and threw waterbombs at visiting players. Players outside of populated, urban areas criticized the lack of Pok"Stops and gyms in their local area. The app was also criticized for using locations such as cemeteries and memorials as sites to catch Pokemon, including the Auschwitz-Birkenau State Museum and the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. The game sparked complaints from Dutch company ProRail, who said that players had entered their railway tracks, and fire stations told players to not impede their staff by congregating outside." [1]

Oh yeah, remember how it said that Pokemon from the game were found in the Auschwitz-Birkenau State Museum? They soon had to release an official statement to say that they wouldn't allow people to play Pokemon Go there because it would disrespect the victims of the Holocaust. Yes, it got that bad.

So remember kids, while we're always going to have stupid people in every generation, maybe natural selection will take it's course eventually.

Citations

Have you played the game though?

Also, some kids climbed over a fence and into an electric power plant to try and catch pokemon.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
missbailey8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 10:30:54 PM
At 7/14/2016 10:27:23 PM, Vaarka wrote:

Citations

Yes I have.

Also, some kids climbed over a fence and into an electric power plant to try and catch pokemon.
Oh god. O_O How did that work out??
~missbailey8~

-Fatihah

The Clown Queen of DDO
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 10:42:02 PM
At 7/14/2016 10:30:54 PM, missbailey8 wrote:

Citations

Yes I have.

I think they got caught before anything bad happened.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
missbailey8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 10:42:58 PM
At 7/14/2016 10:31:34 PM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
Didn't you leave?
Briefly.
~missbailey8~

-Fatihah

The Clown Queen of DDO
missbailey8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 10:43:52 PM
At 7/14/2016 10:42:02 PM, Vaarka wrote:

Citations

Yes I have.

I don't know why they'd even think it was a good idea to do that, but hey, at least nothing bad happened.
~missbailey8~

-Fatihah

The Clown Queen of DDO
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 10:44:22 PM
At 7/14/2016 10:43:52 PM, missbailey8 wrote:
At 7/14/2016 10:42:02 PM, Vaarka wrote:

Citations

Yes I have.

I don't know why they'd even think it was a good idea to do that, but hey, at least nothing bad happened.

(to my knowledge)

ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 11:51:40 PM
Best part of that holocaust museum story is that one of the players caught a Koffing in there... the gas pokemon lol
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2016 12:18:18 AM
At 7/14/2016 11:51:40 PM, ford_prefect wrote:
Best part of that holocaust museum story is that one of the players caught a Koffing in there... the gas pokemon lol

LOL
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 1:21:30 AM
At 7/15/2016 12:18:18 AM, XLAV wrote:

LOL

That deserves so much more than just lol. That was just... man...
New episode of OUTSIDERS: http://www.debate.org...
Episode 4 - They walk among us
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 1:23:57 AM
At 7/15/2016 12:18:33 AM, XLAV wrote:
Good thing I'm not in to Pokemon.

It's actually fun. There is something addicting about owning a pet, that will fight for you, till it faints.
New episode of OUTSIDERS: http://www.debate.org...
Episode 4 - They walk among us
missbailey8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 1:40:38 AM
That's absolutely perfect.
~missbailey8~

-Fatihah

The Clown Queen of DDO
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 2:34:52 AM
At 7/19/2016 1:23:57 AM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:

It's actually fun. There is something addicting about owning a pet, that will fight for you, till it faints.

It's such a fvcked up game, if you think about it. Like, you kidnap these pokemon, more or less so scientific nonsense to them, ask them to fight for you until they faint, and... they do it. Stockholm syndrome at it's finest?
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 2:37:09 AM
At 7/19/2016 1:40:38 AM, missbailey8 wrote:
That's absolutely perfect.

I really want to go to the cemetery a block over and see what pokemon I find, but they've asked that people not do that, so I'm trying to have some restraint. Seems odd though, they encourage people to walk through there, and ride bikes, and all that. I don't see the logic, but I respect their right to not have any, I guess. :(
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 2:45:30 AM
At 7/19/2016 2:34:52 AM, Andromeda_Z wrote:

It's such a fvcked up game, if you think about it. Like, you kidnap these pokemon, more or less so scientific nonsense to them, ask them to fight for you until they faint, and... they do it. Stockholm syndrome at it's finest?
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
missbailey8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 3:14:09 AM
At 7/19/2016 2:45:30 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 7/19/2016 2:34:52 AM, Andromeda_Z wrote:

Yeah, it's fvcked up, but animal abuse is a message we want to teach ALL the children of the world. Wouldn't you agree?
~missbailey8~

-Fatihah

The Clown Queen of DDO