Jump to topic:

Disorder in the Courtroom Mafia - Endgame

Cobalt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 10:11:50 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
First, I'd like to express my thanks to everyone who participated in this game. It was my first modding experience and I learned a whole lot about the process.

One of the things I learned quite early is that complicated setups are difficult to pull off correctly here. We essentially had role mania with modifiers that made the game even less predictable. That being said, most everybody handled themselves exceptionally well.

The actual document containing the full setup is 18 pages long, so I'll summarize it here. The document will be linked to at the end.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Winners:

1. Mafia - (Shab2, Danielle, Roukezian)
2. Velcrow - (3rd Party Voodoo)

Roles (Summarized):

Players Alive:

1. Vaarka

Role: Vanilla
Affiliation: Town
Malady: Delusional

Notes: Vaarka was given a PM in which he was told he is Clark Kent, along with a list of abilities that were truly amazing. Be it the ability to doc 1/3 of all players, the cop ability, or an ability that empowered him to make a voter have a vote counted as 3.

In reality, he was vanilla.His false PM was a delusion. He would be notified that a certain "Lex Luthor" was preventing him from carrying out his actions. At one point, he gained an ability that told him the "real identity" of Lex Luthor, which simply returned a random player's name.

--------------------

2. Geographia1

Role: Affiliation/Role/Malady Cop
Malady: Kleptomaniac

Notes: Would steal one item from two people each night. The returned report would be a description of said item, which would indicate either affiliation, role, or malady. This selection was randomized.

------------------------------

3. ShabShoral2 (Wylted)

Role: Godfather
Affilition: Mafia
Malady: Plastic Surgery Addict

Notes: Couldn't be investigated as guilty in any form -- but couldn't claim role more than once. (Shab2 may have done this, I'm not sure. I'd forgotten about this facet of the role what with Wylted being absent.)

4. Velcrow

Role: Voodoo Priestess
Affiliation: 3rd Party
Malady: Schizophrenic

Notes: Chose one 6+ letter word each night. If another player said this word enough times the next DP, they would die. Only one death per DP could occur in this way. Upon killing 3 people, she'd receive a joint win. If among the final two, she'd outright win.

There was a list of banned words, including common terms like "lynching", "debate", and the like. Her winning words were: lurking, jester and walker.

MVP AWARD: Velcrow's use of 'lurking' made me wish I'd added that to the banned words list. But she completely setup the use of jester and walker, leading to a brilliant win. She deserves the title of MVP.

----------------------------------

5. Lannan

Role: Malady Cop
Malady: germophobe

Notes: This was essentially meant as a vanilla role. Malady cop could be useful to catch lies, but since malady itself was no indication of affiliation, it wasn't meant to be powerful.

--------------------------

6. TheGreatAndPowerful

Role: Roleblocker
Malady: nymphomaniac

Notes: Upon visiting 3 unique people, it would be announced that those three people had caught "venereal disease". This did not occur.

-----------------------------

7. ShabShoral1

Role: Daredevil
Affiliation: 3rd Party
Malady: Adrenaline Addict

Notes: Was given a task randomly chosen from a list each night. If she accomplished that task the next DP, she'd get a point. Receiving 3 points would grant a joint win. Some restrictions on ability to claim were present.

-------------------------

8. Danielle

Role: Inventor
Affiliation: Mafia
Malady: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Notes: Had a list of inventions that could be given away each night. The effects of these were not known to Danielle. Some of these items would notify the receiving player (TGAP was notified that he had received an Old Curious Doll from Danielle, while Velcrow was sent the message "42" for another invention)

Upon using all inventions, Danielle would get one more each NP. Upon receiving the final invention, (O.N.E.), and using it, she would have received a joint win and been removed from the game.

As an interesting note, Danielle was originally supposed to be a town inventor. When I accidentally threw her into the maf chat PM, I had to rework her role.

9. Geo2 (7th professor)

Malady: Depression

Notes: As a result of her depression, she received a PM stating she would die on the 4th day phase and it wouldn't even be mentioned.

This was not true; merely a result of her "depression" malady, as she was actually just vanilla. 7th was seemingly unhappy when this was revealed on DP4 and refused to speak in the Day Phase. Because she was gone for the beginning of the next day phase as well, she needed to be replaced.

----------------------------------

10. SolonKR

Role: Progressive Innocent Child
Malady: Phonophobic

Notes: Would choose one person each night; this person would be notified of his affiliation.

------------------------

11. Skepsikyma

Role: Universal Backup
Malady: Sociopathy

Notes: Inherited Solon's role upon his demise.

--------------------------

12. Roukazian

Role: Gambler
Affiliation: Mafia
Malady: Gambling Addict

Notes: Could roll the dice each night. Was created to be a "bad choice" to roll, as rolling the wrong thing could silence him. A lucky roll would cause him to roleblock all roleblockers. (TGAP)

13. Udel

Role: God
Malady: Split Personality Disorder

Notes: Had a list of "holy writs" that could be enacted each night. These would in some way affect the next day phase. Most of them did nothing.

This is what caused the vote count to require one extra vote on DP2 or 3. (The write of fog)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MVP: Velcrow

Did a fantastic job with the role and made it a lot further than I predicted.

Mafia MVP: Danielle

Was townread by everyone, thanks to smart play and her ability to keep a level head. Had Velcrow not pulled off her clutch win on Danielle, then Danielle would have been overall MVP.

--------------------------------------------------

Some notes and interesting tidbits:

1. Geo failed to give her reports before being lynched. She had 8 reports at this point.

This hurt town significantly. In a game all about information, that info could have been critical to town's success.

2. Why DP5 happened.

Normally, when the number of alive mafia members is equal to the number of alive town members, the game ends. In this case it did not, due to Velcrow's continued existence. She was still technically capable of winning outright, by being in the final two.

3. Inactivity

This hurt the game. A lot of information could have been gathered on DP2-4 that wasn't, simply because town refused to talk.

4. Game Balance

This game was weighted toward town. In fact, I expected town to get stronger as the game went on, since most everyone had a way to contribute to town's success with their role.

Imagine my surprise when not a single mafia member was lynched.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Doc: https://docs.google.com...
Roukezian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 10:18:27 PM
VelCrow had the most interesting role and deserves MVP for using the role correctly and for some good analysis skills in identifying at least two scum in Dp5.
Roukezian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 10:20:17 PM
Mafia could have won with less effort if we were all active the moment Geo voted. I hate how I had to force the win and it's clear I need to recycle my scum tactics as I think that's the second game where I've done this.
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 10:23:04 PM
Major props to Danielle. She was definitely the MVP.

I don't *think* I claimed more than once, unless you count claiming shab1's role, lol.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz

"No aspect of your facial structure suggests Filipino descent."
~ YYW
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 10:25:40 PM
Mafia MVP, I mean. Velcrow played brilliantly.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz

"No aspect of your facial structure suggests Filipino descent."
~ YYW
Cobalt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 11:34:02 PM
At 7/28/2016 10:26:45 PM, Roukezian wrote:
Oh and thanks for Cobalt for organizing this and putting all those interesting roles.

Thank you. It was a privilege to get to do this.
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 12:24:42 AM
At 7/28/2016 10:11:50 PM, Cobalt wrote:
9. Geo2 (7th professor)

Malady: Depression

Notes: As a result of her depression, she received a PM stating she would die on the 4th day phase and it wouldn't even be mentioned.

This was not true; merely a result of her "depression" malady, as she was actually just vanilla. 7th was seemingly unhappy when this was revealed on DP4 and refused to speak in the Day Phase. Because she was gone for the beginning of the next day phase as well, she needed to be replaced.

I wasn't unhappy, but the wording of the PM I received had me worried. When I asked if I was alive at the start of DP4, your first response was "I have no idea what you're talking about". In my role PM, you said "no one will even notice you're gone", implying that I was dead after all, and you just hadn't notice.

Also, three hours into the DP is way too fast to replace.
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
VelCrow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 12:46:32 AM
just wanna say, towards the end of the DP, i knew it was a Rou/Shab team. I had a slight nagging feeling on Danielle when she wouldnt address the points I made on Rou.

i knew i wouldnt be able to prevent myself getting lynched so in the end i decided to push with my ability for a joint win rather then an all out win.

tbh that moment of clarity came when Vaarka unvoted me when i was at L-1. i started to tr Vaarka, but didnt make sense because it seems like he "lied" about his role. the only reason i sr Vaarka in the first place was because of his conflict with Danielle, where i more easily believed Danielle because of the "42" message. unless, *drumrolls* he had a hidden malady where he was hallucinating. i tot Vaarka's malady would be "schizophrenia" but i guess it wasnt very far off the mark from "delusion".

also, i feel like im only MVP because im lucky enough to get this role. thanks cobalt for giving me this and for modding this mafia. it was a blast! :D

on a side note, im a he. but. meh :p
"Ah....So when god "Taught you" online, did he have a user name like "Darthmaulrules1337", and did he talk in all caps?" ~ Axonly

http://www.debate.org...
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 12:58:24 AM
My biggest scum reads were VelCrow and Bossy, I was generally null on Danielle, and thought that Rou was noob town. I was mostly really shocked when town killed Geo, and when Geo came after me. I was also pissed when TGAP died, because he was my biggest townread and I had sent him my innocent message.

Why Geo would be suspicious of me was odd, but I didn't want to push it because he didn't feel scummy to me. When you receive an unsolicited message from a mod that someone is Town, it should be accepted at face value.

Danielle is a really convincing when she analyzes. There were a few times when I weighed the likeliness of her being scum, but she faked sincere deliberation very convincingly.

The TP role was also very cool.

Thanks for modding, Cobalt. My one piece of advice would be to never start a mafia game during the site election drama, because that really kills activity from the getgo.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
VelCrow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 1:21:26 AM
At 7/29/2016 1:04:36 AM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
WHAT YOU MEAN THERE WASN"T A JESTER. OMG. OMG.

Dumb town is dumb.

sorry. jester was in fact a figment of my imagination :p
my role meant that the more and the longer DPs there are, the better the chance of me pulling a curse. therefore, i didnt want it to end so early and had to come out with something to do it.
"Ah....So when god "Taught you" online, did he have a user name like "Darthmaulrules1337", and did he talk in all caps?" ~ Axonly

Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 4:54:50 PM
Wait, the game ended?

Also, screw you Cobalt for making me a surprise vanilla ;_;
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 5:00:02 PM
To mafia:
Shab2, you were kinda obvious, and I think a majority of players saw you being scum, yet you and your team managed to stall long enough to survive.

Danielle, I guess I could kinda see a little bit of scum, but that was mainly because I was connecting you and Velcrow. Otherwise, you did a great job convincing us that we were town, and distancing yourself from Rouk and Shab

Rouke, I have to hand it to you, I never suspected you once during the game. Good play :3
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
VelCrow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 4:25:25 AM
At 7/29/2016 5:00:02 PM, Vaarka wrote:
To mafia:
Shab2, you were kinda obvious, and I think a majority of players saw you being scum, yet you and your team managed to stall long enough to survive.

Danielle, I guess I could kinda see a little bit of scum, but that was mainly because I was connecting you and Velcrow. Otherwise, you did a great job convincing us that we were town, and distancing yourself from Rouk and Shab

Rouke, I have to hand it to you, I never suspected you once during the game. Good play :3

except the fact that he wouldnt put his vote on shab, even though he sr him :D