Total Posts:210|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Beginners' Mafia 47.2: DP1

Sapphique
Posts: 4,119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 3:01:27 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
RULES

Gameplay

1. Votes or unvotes must be bolded.
2. You may unvote or change your vote at any time before the final vote count is posted. However, once a lynch occurs, no further vote changes will count.
3. A lynch occurs when a majority of the players votes to lynch someone.
4. After a lynch occurs, all players (including the lynched player) may talk until I post the final vote count.
5. If a majority hasn't been reached by deadline, or if a majority VTNLs, the DP will end in a no-lynch.
6. Submit night actions via your PM.
7. DPs have a deadline of 72 hours. NPs have a deadline of 24 hours.

Player Conduct

1. Don't C/P anything from your role PMs into the game. Paraphrasing is fine.
2. Don't talk about the game outside the thread or mod-sanctioned PMs.
3. Don't post in the game thread after you die and have been flipped.
4. Play to your win condition.
5. Violating one of these rules will result in a modkill.

Other

1. If you are asking me a question in the DP, please bold it.
2. Please try to maintain civil conduct.
3. Please try limiting quote pyramids. They clutter the game, making it more difficult to read.
4. Anything not covered here will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis.

The mafia may continue to talk in their designated PM after death.
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch
Sapphique
Posts: 4,119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 3:03:40 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
SETUP

This game is themed and role-madness, much like the regular games played on DDO. All possible roles can be found here:

https://docs.google.com...

LIVING PLAYERS

1. Birdlandmemories
2. Rawk
3. Roukezian
4. Skep (Omni)
5. Matt
6. Miss (Grandzam)
7. Wylted
8. FourTrouble
9. Buddamoose

With 9 players alive, it takes 5 votes to lynch.
The DP ends in 72 hours, or at 11:00 pm, EST, on 6/10/16.
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch
Sapphique
Posts: 4,119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 3:11:58 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
Correction: the deadline should read 7/31/16.
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch
I_Wanna_Rawk
Posts: 480
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 3:27:51 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
Going under the assumption that Bird will be as inactive as last game,

VTL BIRDLANDMEMORIES <\strong>

I will change this if he ends up being active.
I_Wanna_Rawk
Posts: 480
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 3:29:07 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/29/2016 3:19:09 AM, Roukezian wrote:
Real fucked-up evil role but I'm Town.

Could you tell us about this? I've done some Mafia research since last game, and other then Vigilante, I don't think I know of a role that fits that.
Roukezian
Posts: 1,711
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 3:35:50 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/29/2016 3:29:07 AM, I_Wanna_Rawk wrote:
At 7/29/2016 3:19:09 AM, Roukezian wrote:
Real fucked-up evil role but I'm Town.

Could you tell us about this? I've done some Mafia research since last game, and other then Vigilante, I don't think I know of a role that fits that.

It's a rare variant role, not one I've seen before. I will keep it to myself until pressured. But all I can say is that it is of no great use to Town and is more of a handicap than a role.

Unvote
FourTrouble
Posts: 12,759
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 3:51:29 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
Alright, I'm back in the United States, and I've got all the time in the world. Finally time to play some mafia.

So, let's start with some introductions. Who are all the new faces? Tell me about yourself.
missbailey8
Posts: 1,881
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 3:53:43 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
VTL Rou
~missbailey8~

Me: What is the weirdest thing I have ever done?
Solon: Agreeing to date me.

Skep: Bailey, you have sardonic written all over your face.
Annie: She has gorgeous written all over her face!

"[M]en are weak. All of us are weak."
-Fatihah

If you ever just want someone to vent, rant, or discuss anything troubling you, my PMs are always open. Have a fabulous day!

The Clown Queen of DDO
missbailey8
Posts: 1,881
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 3:59:01 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/29/2016 3:51:29 AM, FourTrouble wrote:
Alright, I'm back in the United States, and I've got all the time in the world. Finally time to play some mafia.

So, let's start with some introductions. Who are all the new faces? Tell me about yourself.
From my knowledge, the newer players are Rawk, Birdlandmemories, Matt, and myself. (You can correct me if I'm wrong.)
~missbailey8~

Me: What is the weirdest thing I have ever done?
Solon: Agreeing to date me.

Skep: Bailey, you have sardonic written all over your face.
Annie: She has gorgeous written all over her face!

"[M]en are weak. All of us are weak."
-Fatihah

If you ever just want someone to vent, rant, or discuss anything troubling you, my PMs are always open. Have a fabulous day!

The Clown Queen of DDO
FourTrouble
Posts: 12,759
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 3:59:15 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
So, generally-speaking, you shouldn't be revealing information about your role. It only helps the mafia figure out how to avoid detection in the NP (or how to frame townies). It also helps them figure out who to night-kill. Even claiming a vanilla role or a negative utility role hurts the town, because mafia will use process of elimination to find the strong roles.

The only situation where claiming roles makes sense is (a) if you're about to be lynched, (b) if the town is at MYLO/LYLO, (c) if you have relevant results, and/or (d) to counter-claim someone. Otherwise, please don't even mention anything about your roles.

Of course, my analysis assumes the game is balanced. This game... is balanced. Or at least we should play with that assumption in mind, because it's supposed to be balanced. If it's not balanced, I'll get upset in the endgame, and I'll make sure whoever designed the game never designs another game for beginners again. But hopefully, it won't come to that.

If a game hasn't been designed with balance in mind (e.g. bsh1's role madness games), then mass claiming on D1 is probably the optimal strategy, because there's almost always broken role combinations. And if there's not, at the very least the potential of broken combinations outweighs any harms from mass claiming in a game with a lack of broken combinations.

--

On another note, I recall posting a link to a mafiascum article in the first game of this series. I hope ya'll read the article. It's an excellent introduction to playing mafia.
missbailey8
Posts: 1,881
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 4:01:38 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/29/2016 4:00:20 AM, FourTrouble wrote:
At 7/29/2016 3:53:43 AM, missbailey8 wrote:
VTL Rou

Why?
RVS.
~missbailey8~

Me: What is the weirdest thing I have ever done?
Solon: Agreeing to date me.

Skep: Bailey, you have sardonic written all over your face.
Annie: She has gorgeous written all over her face!

"[M]en are weak. All of us are weak."
-Fatihah

If you ever just want someone to vent, rant, or discuss anything troubling you, my PMs are always open. Have a fabulous day!

The Clown Queen of DDO
FourTrouble
Posts: 12,759
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 4:03:42 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/29/2016 4:01:38 AM, missbailey8 wrote:
RVS.

That's a dumb reason. It wasn't because of his role or because of his bizarre voting pattern? Too bad.

What do you think of the fact that he voluntarily claimed a role? What do you make of his unvote?
FourTrouble
Posts: 12,759
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 4:05:01 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
Vote: Bailey

In fact, that total lack of engagement with the game was a pretty massive scum-tell. I think we have ourselves the first scum of the game.
I_Wanna_Rawk
Posts: 480
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 4:12:23 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/29/2016 4:05:01 AM, FourTrouble wrote:
Vote: Bailey

In fact, that total lack of engagement with the game was a pretty massive scum-tell. I think we have ourselves the first scum of the game.

Not sure about that. Last game she played first round RVS as truly random as well, but she wasn't scum that game either. I think it's just how she does the RVS.
FourTrouble
Posts: 12,759
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 4:17:29 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/29/2016 4:12:23 AM, I_Wanna_Rawk wrote:
Not sure about that. Last game she played first round RVS as truly random as well, but she wasn't scum that game either. I think it's just how she does the RVS.

Nope. You're wrong. It's not that she played randomly. It's that she played lazily.
missbailey8
Posts: 1,881
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 4:18:52 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/29/2016 4:03:42 AM, FourTrouble wrote:
At 7/29/2016 4:01:38 AM, missbailey8 wrote:
RVS.

That's a dumb reason. It wasn't because of his role or because of his bizarre voting pattern? Too bad.
I only started reading the DP after I looked at the player list and posted my RVS. After reading it, I did find it odd though.

What do you think of the fact that he voluntarily claimed a role? What do you make of his unvote?
Like I said before, it's pretty odd that he claimed a role already. I think it can fall under two categories.

(A) He didn't realize that mafia can target him in the NP.

or

(B) He wants town cred.

I find it unlikely that it's A, as he claims to be Niqash, an experienced mafia player. (He can confirm or deny this, but I recall seeing it in another game I played with him. If he's really who he says he is, then he should know not to do that noobish tactic.

As for him unvoting, I don't know how to feel about it, but I do want to hear his explanation for it.
~missbailey8~

Me: What is the weirdest thing I have ever done?
Solon: Agreeing to date me.

Skep: Bailey, you have sardonic written all over your face.
Annie: She has gorgeous written all over her face!

"[M]en are weak. All of us are weak."
-Fatihah

If you ever just want someone to vent, rant, or discuss anything troubling you, my PMs are always open. Have a fabulous day!

The Clown Queen of DDO
missbailey8
Posts: 1,881
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 4:21:48 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/29/2016 4:05:01 AM, FourTrouble wrote:
Vote: Bailey

In fact, that total lack of engagement with the game was a pretty massive scum-tell. I think we have ourselves the first scum of the game.
I just got home. I'm sorry that I'm not as engaged in the game, but frankly, I'm tired. I don't want to spend the whole night playing mafia, to be honest.
~missbailey8~

Me: What is the weirdest thing I have ever done?
Solon: Agreeing to date me.

Skep: Bailey, you have sardonic written all over your face.
Annie: She has gorgeous written all over her face!

"[M]en are weak. All of us are weak."
-Fatihah

If you ever just want someone to vent, rant, or discuss anything troubling you, my PMs are always open. Have a fabulous day!

The Clown Queen of DDO
missbailey8
Posts: 1,881
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 4:23:02 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/29/2016 4:19:39 AM, FourTrouble wrote:
Let's just lynch Bailey.
Really? This game started literally less than two hours ago. Some people haven't even posted once.
~missbailey8~

Me: What is the weirdest thing I have ever done?
Solon: Agreeing to date me.

Skep: Bailey, you have sardonic written all over your face.
Annie: She has gorgeous written all over her face!

"[M]en are weak. All of us are weak."
-Fatihah

If you ever just want someone to vent, rant, or discuss anything troubling you, my PMs are always open. Have a fabulous day!

The Clown Queen of DDO
I_Wanna_Rawk
Posts: 480
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 5:51:44 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/29/2016 4:19:39 AM, FourTrouble wrote:
Let's just lynch Bailey.

That's really jumping to conclusions...
FourTrouble
Posts: 12,759
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 6:01:16 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/29/2016 4:17:15 AM, I_Wanna_Rawk wrote:
In fact, I think that vote makes you look a little suspicious... Not sure, just a little.

Why would this make me suspicious?

If it truly makes me suspicious, why aren't you voting me?
FourTrouble
Posts: 12,759
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 6:02:28 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/29/2016 5:51:44 AM, I_Wanna_Rawk wrote:
That's really jumping to conclusions...

I didn't "jump" to it. Rather than vote randomly, I chose to look for the scum, and I got lucky that one of them slipped.
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 6:51:51 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
VTL Rou
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
MattTheDreamer
Posts: 1,400
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 7:58:32 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
Good morning all. Just woke up. Looking at the game so far, I think I have an idea on the theme.