Total Posts:21|Showing Posts:1-21
Jump to topic:

Beginners' Mafia 47.2: Endgame

Sapphique
Posts: 4,119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2016 11:59:04 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
Mafia wins!

The theme in this game was that, while everyone was a serial killer, the mafia were serial killers who also had very respectable/prominent jobs.

Mafia

Rawk - You are Doctor Harold Shipman. You are a well-trained English doctor that many people respected. However, you were responsible for an unusually high death rate for the elderly in your area. Behind the mask of your title, you overdosed your patients with diamorphine, forging their wills so you get their wealth, and then cremated them to hide the evidence. Thus, you are a 1x Poisoner. Once per game, you may target another player. They will die at the end of the following Night Phase. Modification: neither you nor your partner may carry out a normal NK on the night you use this ability. You win with the Mafia.

Cobalt (Budda) - You are John Wayce Gacy. Despite being a prominent businessman and community volunteer, you in fact assaulted and/or killed at least 33 young men over a span of 6 years. You would lure your victims to your home and usually strangle them to death. This makes you a 2x Roleblocker. Twice per game, you may select a player. This player will be prevented from using their own action, if any, during that night. You may perform the kill and roleblock a player in the same night. You win with the Mafia.

Town

Bird - You are Jeffry Dahmer, a man who killed several men. Known to be a sex offender and a necrophiliac, you even went as far as cooking and eating your victims. However, you were easily overpowered by a would-be victim, and willingly admitted to the murders. Due to how easily you were taken down, you are a 1x Weak Role Cop. Each night you may select another player. You will learn their role (but not affiliation). You will die if you target a mafioso. You win with the Town.

Rouke - You are Dennis Rader, a man well known for his methods of work. While you remained anonymous for many years, people knew you for your acronym, BTK. You would enjoy binding your victims, torturing them, and then killing them. Due to your strange pleasure in these acts, you are a Sadist. Your vote will only count toward a lynch if that player is at L-1. You win with the Town.

Skep (Omni) - You are Arthur Allan Thomas. You were convicted of two murders you did not commit which resulted in a 9-year prison sentence. The evidence, in the form of a rifle cartridge case, had been planted by police. To make matters worse, you were convicted twice for the same crime. Your innocence makes you a Vanilla. You have no special abilities. You win with the Town.

Matt - You are Richard Ramirez, a man who raped, tortured, or killed more 25 people over a span of two years before being caught. Your trademark tactic, which involved targeting people at night in their own homes, earned you the title of "Night Stalker." Because of your sharp alertness, you are a Watcher. Each night you may select another player. You will learn who visited them, but not what action(s) were performed. You win with the Town.

Miss (Grandzam) - You are Peter Sutcliffe. You are a famous killer, known as the Yorkshire Ripper for your crimes. The authorities, however, could never seem to find you (at least until they found you driving with false plates). Because you were so hard to catch, you are a Commuter. You cannot be targeted at night. You win with the Town.

Disc (Wylted) - You are Anthony Graves, a man who was wrongfully convicted of assisting in the murder of Bobby Davis and 5 others, despite the lack of any physical evidence and the insistence of 3 different people that you were elsewhere at the time of the crime. Originally sentenced to death, you spent 18 years in prison before being freed. You innocence makes you a Vanilla. You have no special abilities. You win with the Town.

FT - You are Gerry Conlon. You--along with three others, collectively known as the Guilford Four, and later the Maguire Seven--were falsely arrested, tortured, and imprisoned for 14 years on charges of being responsible for a bombing in Guilford that killed 5 people. Your innocence makes you a Vanilla. You have no abilities. You win with the Town.

Night Actions

NP1
Matt - watch FT
Rawk - NK Rouk

NP2
Matt - watch Rawk
Cobalt - NK FT, RB Disc
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch
Sapphique
Posts: 4,119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 12:06:42 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
I think the real killer in this game for town was inactivity, although Rawk did play fairly well. That's also partly our fault in not being able to find replacements quickly enough. As far as balance goes, I got some help from F-16 and Bsh1 to tweak the setup. The 1x weak cop (unfortunately not utilized since Bird was inactive) could confirm town but could only catch one scum at most. The 1x Poisoner could deceive town with a no-kill then double-kill combo, and balanced out the Watcher since the Watcher wouldn't see anyone visit on the night the kill happens because the poisoner visits the night before. Watcher was also all-night so it wouldn't be overly hampered by the 2x Roleblocker or the Commuter.
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch
Vaarka
Posts: 7,631
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 12:16:37 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
I apologize for my lack of vote counts XP
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
The-Voice-of-Truth
Posts: 6,571
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 12:29:27 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/15/2016 12:16:37 AM, Vaarka wrote:
I apologize for my lack of vote counts XP

fam

imma play next game

our scrublord and savior is back
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
Vaarka
Posts: 7,631
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 12:37:41 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/15/2016 12:29:27 AM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
At 8/15/2016 12:16:37 AM, Vaarka wrote:
I apologize for my lack of vote counts XP

fam

imma play next game

our scrublord and savior is back

Welcome back :3
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
I_Wanna_Rawk
Posts: 480
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 12:49:09 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
Good game everyone who actually played, although I really wish the others were active so I could learn how to play scum better.
Discipulus_Didicit
Posts: 3,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 9:05:22 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
Stopped being fun when I realized near the end that Cobalt and Rawk was the scum team (Rawk not hammering Cobalt was a give-away). Town only had 2 votes (baily intentionally abandoned the game so didnt count) and 3 were needed to lynch.
Cobalt - You could be scum too.
Matt - I suppose. But I also might not be.

Kiri - Yeah, I don't know what DD is doing.
Vaarka - He's doin'a thingy do

DD - The best advice most often goes unheeded.
Wise Man - KYS, DD.
DD - Case in point ^
Vaarka
Posts: 7,631
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 1:15:04 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
I'm definitely not the person to be saying this, especially since I was inactive almost the entire game, but it sounds like inactivity definitely killed town (I didn't read DP3, nor the end of DP2). Part of that is my fault, since I failed to replace bird, but inactivity almost always leads to a win for mafia. If town is inactive, then progress is slow. Slow progress helps scum. A more active town makes progress, and progress hurts scum.

While I don't remember much from DP1 (so I may be wrong), I wanted to ask FT something (assuming he reads this): why were you making/switching the reads that you made so much early game? You scum-read Bailey for an RVS vote before post 20.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
I_Wanna_Rawk
Posts: 480
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 5:04:26 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/15/2016 9:05:22 AM, Discipulus_Didicit wrote:
Stopped being fun when I realized near the end that Cobalt and Rawk was the scum team (Rawk not hammering Cobalt was a give-away). Town only had 2 votes (baily intentionally abandoned the game so didnt count) and 3 were needed to lynch.

Yeah. At that point I just stopped because there was no point in continuing, i had it in the bag.

I have to say, it wasn't cobalt and I who beat you, it was inactivity.
MattTheDreamer
Posts: 1,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 6:31:39 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
I realised part way through that at least Rawk was scum. I wasn't decided on Cobalt but it didn't matter cause we already lost when the DP started lol.
FourTrouble
Posts: 12,769
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 6:50:06 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/15/2016 1:15:04 PM, Vaarka wrote:
I'm definitely not the person to be saying this, especially since I was inactive almost the entire game, but it sounds like inactivity definitely killed town (I didn't read DP3, nor the end of DP2). Part of that is my fault, since I failed to replace bird, but inactivity almost always leads to a win for mafia. If town is inactive, then progress is slow. Slow progress helps scum. A more active town makes progress, and progress hurts scum.

Bird should have been replaced before the start of D2. I assumed he must have been active in his PM and thus be scum, based solely on the fact he wasn't replaced.

While I don't remember much from DP1 (so I may be wrong), I wanted to ask FT something (assuming he reads this): why were you making/switching the reads that you made so much early game? You scum-read Bailey for an RVS vote before post 20.

Not sure what you mean re: switching reads. Bailey was the most scummy person at that point in the game, so I scum-read her.

There's a lot of uncertainty at the start of the game. Shouldn't come as a surprise to see reads changing a lot, as people grasp at straws trying to get things going.
FourTrouble
Posts: 12,769
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 6:55:06 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
Cobalt, as usual, is an example of everything you shouldn't do.

1. He chose the worst possible nightkill.

2. He spent the whole game talking about my alignment, pushing this bizarre notion that I was "possibly" scum. Mafia is a game of probabilities, not possibilities. Classic scum-tell is folks who keep talking about all the possibilities, instead of analyzing probabilities. This is a scum-tell because the town don't make decisions based on possibilities, they make decisions based on probability. Mafia already know the answers, so they can't distinguish possibility from probability.

Learn how to play scum by not doing what he did.
I_Wanna_Rawk
Posts: 480
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 7:51:31 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/15/2016 6:55:06 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
Cobalt, as usual, is an example of everything you shouldn't do.

1. He chose the worst possible nightkill.
actually, we figured that you were being protected, so killed someone else, someone who everyone town read so it wouldn't point to us. It turns out, Matt was watching you, so we made the correct choice. Our prediction was correct.
2. He spent the whole game talking about my alignment, pushing this bizarre notion that I was "possibly" scum. Mafia is a game of probabilities, not possibilities. Classic scum-tell is folks who keep talking about all the possibilities, instead of analyzing probabilities. This is a scum-tell because the town don't make decisions based on possibilities, they make decisions based on probability. Mafia already know the answers, so they can't distinguish possibility from probability.

Learn how to play scum by not doing what he did.
I_Wanna_Rawk
Posts: 480
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 7:52:23 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/15/2016 7:51:31 PM, I_Wanna_Rawk wrote:
At 8/15/2016 6:55:06 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
Cobalt, as usual, is an example of everything you shouldn't do.

1. He chose the worst possible nightkill.


actually, we figured that you were being protected, so killed someone else, someone who everyone town read so it wouldn't point to us. It turns out, Matt was watching you, so we made the correct choice. Our prediction was correct.


2. He spent the whole game talking about my alignment, pushing this bizarre notion that I was "possibly" scum. Mafia is a game of probabilities, not possibilities. Classic scum-tell is folks who keep talking about all the possibilities, instead of analyzing probabilities. This is a scum-tell because the town don't make decisions based on possibilities, they make decisions based on probability. Mafia already know the answers, so they can't distinguish possibility from probability.

Learn how to play scum by not doing what he did.
FourTrouble
Posts: 12,769
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 11:57:53 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/15/2016 7:52:23 PM, I_Wanna_Rawk wrote:
At 8/15/2016 7:51:31 PM, I_Wanna_Rawk wrote:
At 8/15/2016 6:55:06 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
Cobalt, as usual, is an example of everything you shouldn't do.

1. He chose the worst possible nightkill.


actually, we figured that you were being protected, so killed someone else, someone who everyone town read so it wouldn't point to us. It turns out, Matt was watching you, so we made the correct choice. Our prediction was correct.


If you thought I was protected/watched, you had literally any other townie to kill.

2. He spent the whole game talking about my alignment, pushing this bizarre notion that I was "possibly" scum. Mafia is a game of probabilities, not possibilities. Classic scum-tell is folks who keep talking about all the possibilities, instead of analyzing probabilities. This is a scum-tell because the town don't make decisions based on possibilities, they make decisions based on probability. Mafia already know the answers, so they can't distinguish possibility from probability.

Learn how to play scum by not doing what he did.
I_Wanna_Rawk
Posts: 480
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2016 12:04:19 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/15/2016 11:57:53 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
At 8/15/2016 7:52:23 PM, I_Wanna_Rawk wrote:
At 8/15/2016 7:51:31 PM, I_Wanna_Rawk wrote:
At 8/15/2016 6:55:06 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
Cobalt, as usual, is an example of everything you shouldn't do.

1. He chose the worst possible nightkill.


actually, we figured that you were being protected, so killed someone else, someone who everyone town read so it wouldn't point to us. It turns out, Matt was watching you, so we made the correct choice. Our prediction was correct.


If you thought I was protected/watched, you had literally any other townie to kill .

Yes, but Rouk was the one that NO ONE suspected. Our strategy was to eliminate those who were unanimously viewed as town. That way, once it came down to less and less people, the town could not be sure of who the scum was, instead if saying, "oh! FTs there: he's town. Rouk is there. He's town. Hmmmmm... In town, the only one left is Rawk. He must be scum!" It was also a rather effective strategy. Granted, the inactivity helped a lot, but no one really suspected my very much until the last DP, where it didn't even matter.
Roukezian
Posts: 1,711
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2016 5:10:55 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/16/2016 12:04:19 AM, I_Wanna_Rawk wrote:

Good game, Rawk. You're shaping up to be a talented player as both Town and Scum.
Roukezian
Posts: 1,711
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2016 5:13:08 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/15/2016 6:51:04 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
DD played well. He made himself obvious town on D1, and had generally strong reads.

Did you play well FourTrouble?
I_Wanna_Rawk
Posts: 480
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2016 6:29:18 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/16/2016 5:10:55 PM, Roukezian wrote:
At 8/16/2016 12:04:19 AM, I_Wanna_Rawk wrote:

Good game, Rawk. You're shaping up to be a talented player as both Town and Scum.

Thanks.
Discipulus_Didicit
Posts: 3,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2016 8:25:49 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/16/2016 5:13:08 PM, Roukezian wrote:
At 8/15/2016 6:51:04 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
DD played well. He made himself obvious town on D1, and had generally strong reads.

Did you play well FourTrouble?

Assuming we apply to him what he applied to me (obvtown and decent reads) then yes he did. This game was unwinable for town though, what with baily intentionally abandoning it and birdy going inactive. Not sure if this is a common thing for beginners series games these days but if it is a trend and not an isolated incident then a new approach may need to be taken.
Cobalt - You could be scum too.
Matt - I suppose. But I also might not be.

Kiri - Yeah, I don't know what DD is doing.
Vaarka - He's doin'a thingy do

DD - The best advice most often goes unheeded.
Wise Man - KYS, DD.
DD - Case in point ^