Total Posts:19|Showing Posts:1-19
Jump to topic:

Town, Mafia or TP

XLAV
Posts: 13,715
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2016 5:28:21 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
Which faction is your favorite and why?

For those who don't know yet, I prefer being town than being mafia. I really just prefer the investigative side of the game than the manipulating and lying part. Even though I dislike playing as mafia, I do like playing as TP. Even though I rarely get TP, I like TP because its a mix of investigating for scum and trying to out-survive both town and mafia.
Vaarka
Posts: 7,578
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2016 5:50:23 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/4/2016 5:28:21 PM, XLAV wrote:
Which faction is your favorite and why?

For those who don't know yet, I prefer being town than being mafia. I really just prefer the investigative side of the game than the manipulating and lying part. Even though I dislike playing as mafia, I do like playing as TP. Even though I rarely get TP, I like TP because its a mix of investigating for scum and trying to out-survive both town and mafia.

I'm almost always town, and only occasionally mafia. Most games are kind of typical for me, but I've had about 2 or 3 games where I really enjoyed both roles. As mafia, it was when I replaced in during DP3. Basically, I'd paid attention to the game during DP 1 and 2, picked up reads from an uninformed view. When I replaced in, it was easier to adapt, since I was now informed with already uninformed reads. As town, it was last game, when I started uninformed, and then got added into a herd of what I originally assumed to be "town-confirmed". It wasn't true, but it helped me narrow down my targets a lot.

I've only been TP a few times, and it's never really been special. My first time as TP, I got lynched for being inactive (I was camping, and even announced I'd be gone for 2 days). The other two times that I was TP, I outed as such. One was a game I never signed up for, where I was SK. I went ahead and outed upon pressure b/c I found out I could self-SK, and would do so soon enough if they didn't lynch me. The other time I was alien, and I soon realized the game was only going because I was still alive (mafia was dead).
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
ThinkBig
Posts: 1,598
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2016 8:15:28 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
I always enjoy being town, for the reasons mentioned above. I did play scum on mafiascum one game, and find it to be a different feel and a much different mind set.

I love the investigative roles, but I also like seeing how conning and convincing I can be when I'm scum
ThinkBig
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Notable Notes and Quotable Quotes
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I GOT SIG'D"
"WELL FVCK ME IN THE A$SHOLE AND CALL ME A CUCK I GOT SIG'D AGAIN"
-Kiri
If anyone's getting modkilled, it's kiri. Just for his sig.
-7th
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge or vote? Nominate me!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The-Voice-of-Truth
Posts: 6,560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2016 9:42:37 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/4/2016 5:28:21 PM, XLAV wrote:
Which faction is your favorite and why?

For those who don't know yet, I prefer being town than being mafia. I really just prefer the investigative side of the game than the manipulating and lying part. Even though I dislike playing as mafia, I do like playing as TP. Even though I rarely get TP, I like TP because its a mix of investigating for scum and trying to out-survive both town and mafia.

MAFIA

I love the deception and manipulation involved. It just gives me thrills and adrenaline rushes.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
Discipulus_Didicit
Posts: 3,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 5:32:39 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
I've never been TP because I am a noob. I enjoy being mafia or town equally though, they both have interesting elements to them.
Cobalt - You could be scum too.
Matt - I suppose. But I also might not be.

Kiri - Yeah, I don't know what DD is doing.
Vaarka - He's doin'a thingy do

DD - The best advice most often goes unheeded.
Wise Man - KYS, DD.
DD - Case in point ^
FourTrouble
Posts: 12,758
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 6:06:09 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/4/2016 5:28:21 PM, XLAV wrote:
Which faction is your favorite and why?

For those who don't know yet, I prefer being town than being mafia. I really just prefer the investigative side of the game than the manipulating and lying part. Even though I dislike playing as mafia, I do like playing as TP. Even though I rarely get TP, I like TP because its a mix of investigating for scum and trying to out-survive both town and mafia.

I hate being TP. That is my least favorite role to play. My favorite aspect of the game is working with a team, whether it be in town or mafia.

Generally, I prefer town because town requires less effort to play well (and in case you haven't realized, I'm lazy as fvck). But I used to prefer mafia when I first started, and when I have the time/motivation, being mafia can be incredibly fun.
breakingamber
Posts: 1,422
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 7:20:36 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
I love playing as Mafia. It is so fun.
MAY THE WRATH OF THE MODS BE UPON YOU!
- Master Elodin

"When will [Obliteration] learn that Funtimes' plan of saving/destroying the world with pancakes is the only way? "
"She wouldn't even have to make real pancakes! Just the batter, and Obliteration could cook it with his powers! OBLITERATION, YOU'RE WASTING YOUR TALENTS"
- Voidus and TwiLyghtSansSparkles

"An Epic stage magician and a zombie dinosaur? She sure as Braize won"t pull the line there!"
- Edgedancer
SeventhProfessor
Posts: 5,086
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 10:20:13 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
Mafia by far. TP could be better than town depending on the role.
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
ButterCatX
Posts: 2,228
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2016 9:41:06 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
I like town because as mafia, all my genius plans always get ruined by one townie getting lucky at endgame and lynching us to he1l.(breaking!!!!!)
I bet fanfics are already being posted on random blogs about us.-Vaarka

Butters preformed his duty to the town and died with honor, he helped us kill scum, so we know have to go and make sure his death wasn't in vain and win this game for him.-lannan13

All hail the great and mighty Butters, who died for our inactive cause.-Vaarka

fuckith offith, lol.-Ore(talking to me)

And guess what happened to FT? He got raped to death.-Xlav

You are so obviously town I love you man.-VOT
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 12:55:09 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
Definitely town. Playing as mafia is fine from time to time but I really need my scumhunting fix and that only happens as town. The high that you get when you tunnel someone for days on end, working your butt off to get them lynched and having them flip scum and winning games as town is incomparable.

I don't think third parties should exist at all. I'm a huge advocate of pure town vs mafia games. That's mafia at it's core and that's the way it should be. I categorically hate all third party roles.

At 10/5/2016 6:06:09 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
I prefer town because town requires less effort to play well.

Interesting perspective. I typically tend to work harder as town. As mafia, I'm happy to do the minimum required to win which unless the playerlist is awesome doesn't require me to give it 100%. As town, I like going back, re-analyzing, and looking at games from every angle until I'm fairly certain I've locked it in. It's different from gut-based players like drafterman who find something and push it for everything it's worth.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 2:03:26 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
mafia when I get to lead it. I don't really like playing it with overly paranoid people that panic and don't realize that I am always widely scum read early in a game, and it's no big deal
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 6:07:00 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/4/2016 5:28:21 PM, XLAV wrote:
Which faction is your favorite and why?

For those who don't know yet, I prefer being town than being mafia. I really just prefer the investigative side of the game than the manipulating and lying part. Even though I dislike playing as mafia, I do like playing as TP. Even though I rarely get TP, I like TP because its a mix of investigating for scum and trying to out-survive both town and mafia.

I <3 mafia. It's just much more thrilling to me, and I love having a good scum team and cooperating with them. It feels more high-stakes.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
XLAV
Posts: 13,715
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 4:51:54 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/11/2016 2:03:26 AM, Wylted wrote:
mafia when I get to lead it. I don't really like playing it with overly paranoid people that panic and don't realize that I am always widely scum read early in a game, and it's no big deal

lol, and those scum mates that think you fvcked up for hammering someone because they think it made you look scum.
FourTrouble
Posts: 12,758
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 5:40:52 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/11/2016 12:55:09 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Interesting perspective. I typically tend to work harder as town. As mafia, I'm happy to do the minimum required to win which unless the playerlist is awesome doesn't require me to give it 100%.

This is true. In most games, I give very little effort as mafia. Those games aren't fun.

As town, I like going back, re-analyzing, and looking at games from every angle until I'm fairly certain I've locked it in. It's different from gut-based players like drafterman who find something and push it for everything it's worth.

I get what you're saying. In some sense, you're right that I work much harder as town than I do as mafia. I put in more hours when I'm town. But that's not really what I'm referring to when I say mafia takes more effort. I'm talking about the mental work involved. Town/mafia require very different types of thinking. As town, it's mostly analysis; as mafia, it's creation. It's like the difference between solving a chess problem and creating a chess problem. Certain people excel at the former, others at the latter. For me, it's relaxing to solve problems, to analyze motives, and so on. I could do it for hours and not feel like I'm putting any effort into the game. That's not how I feel as mafia, so it's much more draining, requires more motivation to keep going, but at the end of a game, it's often more fulfilling precisely because of that struggle.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 6:03:21 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/11/2016 5:40:52 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
I get what you're saying. In some sense, you're right that I work much harder as town than I do as mafia. I put in more hours when I'm town. But that's not really what I'm referring to when I say mafia takes more effort. I'm talking about the mental work involved. Town/mafia require very different types of thinking. As town, it's mostly analysis; as mafia, it's creation. It's like the difference between solving a chess problem and creating a chess problem. Certain people excel at the former, others at the latter. For me, it's relaxing to solve problems, to analyze motives, and so on. I could do it for hours and not feel like I'm putting any effort into the game. That's not how I feel as mafia, so it's much more draining, requires more motivation to keep going, but at the end of a game, it's often more fulfilling precisely because of that struggle.

Yeah, the creating the problem scenarios do seem like work. It's interesting because BV said the same thing in a PM: that town is more fun but scum wins are more fulfilling. I disagree with both of you in that I get a lot more fulfillment from a town win because you don't know the answer until the end. As scum, if you get enough early mislynches and shoot PRs, you can get into a situation where town simply won't figure out the game. Then it's smooth until lylo at which point, it gets tense, and finally hammering town is fulfilling I guess. But I don't think I've ever had a bigger high than in lynching Khaos in your nightless and having him flip as the last scum or in drafter and I lynching Khaos in that philosopher's game where you mislynched us D1 and we replaced back in to sweep. Because those games took work and it paid off and it's that moment of payoff that feels like an addiction that makes all the work worth it. On mafiascum, there were a couple of games I was alive in lylo and lynched scum and got the same high. Winning as town is really awesome from my perspective. As scum, it's just "oh, we played well and won, good game everyone."

I guess part of it is that I never learned to create scenarios and puzzles as scum the way you and Yraelz do. I recently read over my Fantasy theme and was impressed with how well he set up scenarios and used roles to his advantage. My scumplay is pretty two-dimensional in that I just try to manipulate the influential players in the game into townreading me, and push people I find most convenient to push. Long term, it's hard since the influential players tend to re-evaluate after every lynch so it's just a matter of making it through before they can do that.
FourTrouble
Posts: 12,758
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2016 4:45:26 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/11/2016 6:03:21 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 10/11/2016 5:40:52 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
I get what you're saying. In some sense, you're right that I work much harder as town than I do as mafia. I put in more hours when I'm town. But that's not really what I'm referring to when I say mafia takes more effort. I'm talking about the mental work involved. Town/mafia require very different types of thinking. As town, it's mostly analysis; as mafia, it's creation. It's like the difference between solving a chess problem and creating a chess problem. Certain people excel at the former, others at the latter. For me, it's relaxing to solve problems, to analyze motives, and so on. I could do it for hours and not feel like I'm putting any effort into the game. That's not how I feel as mafia, so it's much more draining, requires more motivation to keep going, but at the end of a game, it's often more fulfilling precisely because of that struggle.

Yeah, the creating the problem scenarios do seem like work. It's interesting because BV said the same thing in a PM: that town is more fun but scum wins are more fulfilling. I disagree with both of you in that I get a lot more fulfillment from a town win because you don't know the answer until the end. As scum, if you get enough early mislynches and shoot PRs, you can get into a situation where town simply won't figure out the game. Then it's smooth until lylo at which point, it gets tense, and finally hammering town is fulfilling I guess. But I don't think I've ever had a bigger high than in lynching Khaos in your nightless and having him flip as the last scum or in drafter and I lynching Khaos in that philosopher's game where you mislynched us D1 and we replaced back in to sweep. Because those games took work and it paid off and it's that moment of payoff that feels like an addiction that makes all the work worth it. On mafiascum, there were a couple of games I was alive in lylo and lynched scum and got the same high. Winning as town is really awesome from my perspective. As scum, it's just "oh, we played well and won, good game everyone."

I guess part of it is that I never learned to create scenarios and puzzles as scum the way you and Yraelz do. I recently read over my Fantasy theme and was impressed with how well he set up scenarios and used roles to his advantage. My scumplay is pretty two-dimensional in that I just try to manipulate the influential players in the game into townreading me, and push people I find most convenient to push. Long term, it's hard since the influential players tend to re-evaluate after every lynch so it's just a matter of making it through before they can do that.

Are you playing mafia anywhere?
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 3:27:18 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/12/2016 4:45:26 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
Are you playing mafia anywhere?

I'd like to. I remember we talked about finding new places to play mafia. I'm down for it if you are free over the next few days.
FourTrouble
Posts: 12,758
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 6:09:26 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/13/2016 3:27:18 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 10/12/2016 4:45:26 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
Are you playing mafia anywhere?

I'd like to. I remember we talked about finding new places to play mafia. I'm down for it if you are free over the next few days.

I'm free and craving a game. Let's do it!
ThinkBig
Posts: 1,598
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 6:21:11 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/13/2016 6:09:26 AM, FourTrouble wrote:
At 10/13/2016 3:27:18 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 10/12/2016 4:45:26 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
Are you playing mafia anywhere?

I'd like to. I remember we talked about finding new places to play mafia. I'm down for it if you are free over the next few days.

I'm free and craving a game. Let's do it!

I sometimes play on mafiascum, but the problem is the forum is far too large IMO.
ThinkBig
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Notable Notes and Quotable Quotes
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I GOT SIG'D"
"WELL FVCK ME IN THE A$SHOLE AND CALL ME A CUCK I GOT SIG'D AGAIN"
-Kiri
If anyone's getting modkilled, it's kiri. Just for his sig.
-7th
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge or vote? Nominate me!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~