Beginners' Mafia 49.1: DP1

Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2016 3:39:09 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
INTRODUCTION TO MAFIA

Mafia is a strategy game that pits an uninformed majority (the Town) against an informed minority (the Mafia). This means that the townies don't know who the other townies are, but the mafia do, and they have their own shared PM to communicate. The game begins with the Day Phase (DP), a public thread in which all players may discuss to determine who they think is mafia. Town's objective is to eliminate the mafia by voting to lynch them, while the mafia's objective is to avoid being lynched and get townies lynched instead. During the Night Phase (NP), players can use any abilities they have, and the mafia may kill one player of their choice. All night actions are submitted privately via each player's individual or mafia PM. The game ends when either all of the mafia have been eliminated, or when the mafia make up 50% or more of the living players (since there will not be enough townies to lynch them).

RULES

Gameplay

1. Votes or unvotes must be bolded.
2. You may unvote or change your vote at any time before the final vote count is posted. However, once a lynch occurs, no further vote changes will count.
3. A lynch occurs when a majority of the players votes to lynch someone.
4. After a lynch occurs, all players (including the lynched player) may talk until I post the final vote count.
5. If a majority hasn't been reached by deadline, or if a majority VTNLs, the DP will end in a no-lynch.
6. Submit night actions via your PM.
7. DPs have a deadline of 72 hours. NPs have a deadline of 24 hours.

Player Conduct

1. Don't C/P anything from your role PMs into the game. Paraphrasing is fine.
2. Don't talk about the game outside the thread or mod-sanctioned PMs.
3. Don't post in the game thread after you die and have been flipped.
4. Play to your win condition.
5. Violating one of these rules will result in a modkill.

Other

1. If you are asking me a question in the DP, please bold it.
2. Please maintain civil conduct.
3. Please limit quote pyramids. They clutter the game, making it more difficult to read.
4. Anything not covered here will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis.

The mafia may continue to talk in their designated PM after death.

Disc will be co-modding this series with me.
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch
Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2016 3:41:16 AM
SETUP

Because DDO formatting won't let me post tables, here's the link to the Matrix 6 setup, as well as a list of all possible role PMs. This is very important, so please read it:

https://docs.google.com...

COMMONLY USED TERMS

LIVING PLAYERS

1. Ciacco
2. Tree
3. Chaos
4. Citylight
5. Mat
6. Matt
7. Vaarka
8. Bsh
9. Think

With 9 players alive, it takes 5 votes to lynch.
The DP ends in 72 hours, or at 11:40 pm EST, on 10/27/16.
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch
Tree_of_Death
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2016 3:44:20 AM
Yay it's up!

VTL Bsh1

Cuz why not.
"If life were easy, it wouldn't be difficult."--Kermit the Frog

#Treebrokethechurchbells--DD

"I am after all the purveyor of intellectually dishonest propaganda." --YYW
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2016 3:48:48 AM
I am not claiming, so don't bother VTLing me for any info. I also have a midterm tomorrow, so I won't be very active tonight.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Tree_of_Death
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2016 3:50:41 AM
At 10/25/2016 3:48:48 AM, bsh1 wrote:
I am not claiming, so don't bother VTLing me for any info. I also have a midterm tomorrow, so I won't be very active tonight.

Okie-dokie.

Tree_of_Death
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2016 3:55:03 AM
Unvote

ThinkBig
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2016 5:13:01 AM
Good luck everyone.
ThinkBig
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Notable Notes and Quotable Quotes
"I GOT SIG'D"
"WELL FVCK ME IN THE A$SHOLE AND CALL ME A CUCK I GOT SIG'D AGAIN"
-Kiri
If anyone's getting modkilled, it's kiri. Just for his sig.
-7th
Need a judge or vote? Nominate me!!
Discipulus_Didicit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2016 7:42:10 AM
Vote Count

Chaos (1/5) - Matt
Cobalt - You could be scum too.
Matt - I suppose. But I also might not be.

Kiri - Yeah, I don't know what DD is doing.
Vaarka - He's doin'a thingy do

DD - The best advice most often goes unheeded.
Wise Man - KYS, DD.
DD - Case in point ^
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2016 11:15:14 AM
At 10/25/2016 3:41:16 AM, Sapphique wrote:
SETUP

Because DDO formatting won't let me post tables, here's the link to the Matrix 6 setup, as well as a list of all possible role PMs. This is very important, so please read it:

COMMONLY USED TERMS

LIVING PLAYERS

1. Ciacco
2. Tree
3. Chaos
4. Citylight
5. Mat
6. Matt
7. Vaarka
8. Bsh
9. Think

With 9 players alive, it takes 5 votes to lynch.
The DP ends in 72 hours, or at 11:40 pm EST, on 10/27/16.

"Around 9:30"
;_;
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2016 11:59:47 AM
At 10/25/2016 8:16:32 AM, MattTheDreamer wrote:
A useful post for the noobs here: http://forum.mafiascum.net...

I can guarantee that at least two noobs won't be able open that link.

Now to write the opening that I was planning on posting right when the game started...
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Hybrid_Chaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2016 12:22:07 PM
If you're VTLing me for information, I am the vanilla.

Best of luck to you all!

VTL Vaarka
The Cycle Of Life And Death Will Continue. We Will Live. They Will die.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2016 12:29:37 PM
"Uh oh, you friggin noob. You just got lynched! VTL you friends to totally lynch them!"

Welcome, newbies, to beginners' mafia! I'm Vaarka (though bsh1 and Sapphique call me Vaar), and I'll be happy to help you today.

So let's get started:
If you are a noob, then welcome to mafia! If you've had any past experience, then this may be a bit easier to understand. However, if you're brand new, then get ready, because this might be a bit difficult to grasp.

So what exactly is mafia, and how do you play it?

Well, as you may have read before, mafia is a game. Basically, there are two teams: town and mafia. If you are town, then your goal is to try and find the mafia, who are killing other townies in the night, and lynch them. Once all the mafia are lynched, you win! If you are mafia, then your goal is to survive and kill, whether that be through killing someone every night, or managing to get town to mislynch (mislynch = town lynching another townie). Once your team outnumbers town, you win!

So how do you play?

Well, for starters, the set-up for the first game of this 2-game series should only feature two mafia, which means there are 7 townies and two scum (mafia). So, how on earth is this balanced? Well, you see, mafia are informed. Mafia know who each other are, and are provided a PM to communicate privately in, and they can always talk to each other, even if one is dead. This gives mafia the advantage of knowledge. They know who town is, and can use information the get in-game to decide on who they should kill at night.

Town, on the other hand, is not informed. Each townie is individual, and can only communicate with each other in-game. A townie can only know one thing for sure, and it's that they are town. They don't know who anyone else is, and must work together to try and decide who they think is town, and who they think is scum. Then, they must work together to lynch the player they think is scum. Town wants to read posts, analyze them, try and see if they can spot anything fishy. Did a post seem like it came from an informed stance? Is the person acting rather shady? Are they avoiding a certain question? Look for stuff like that and point it out when you see it.

So how do you do that?

Well, let's just start that with a few questions.

Hello, how are you? Have you ever played mafia before? Do you prefer Sprite or Sierra Mist, and why? And finally, what are your reads? What are your thoughts on player [x]'s post about [context]? If you had to choose between players [x] and [y] for a lynch, who would you choose and why? Why do you think this is scummy? What are your town and scum reads?

Woah there, that's a lot of questions! What do they all mean? How do I answer them?

Well, fear not, little ones, because that what bsh1 and I are here for. We've been around for a while, played some games, and know how it works. We're here to teach you, help you, and answer any questions, no matter how silly they may seem. Whether it's about what a term means, what reads are, how to form a read, why we did something, or just how to play in general, don't hesitate to ask us something, because we want to help you learn.

So let's start playing, learning, and enjoying a nice game of mafia.

Hello, how are you guys? Do you have any questions so far?

Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2016 12:30:47 PM
At 10/25/2016 12:22:07 PM, Hybrid_Chaos wrote:

Best of luck to you all!

VTL Vaarka

No one has VTL'd you though, so you basically just claimed with no pressure... XP

Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2016 12:36:07 PM
Most importantly to the new guys:
Please, don't be afraid to post. If you have ANYTHING to say, say it. Activity and participation are the best ways to learn, and the best ways to play a game. Inactivity, however, is bad, and if inactivity takes control of a game, then the game becomes harder to play and less fun.

Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2016 12:37:42 PM
At 10/25/2016 6:57:29 AM, MattTheDreamer wrote:
Morning all.

VTL Chaos

Just noticed that he was VTL'd, my bad XP

Hybrid_Chaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2016 12:38:00 PM
At 10/25/2016 7:42:10 AM, Discipulus_Didicit wrote:
Vote Count

Chaos (1/5) - Matt

I was voted for Vaarka
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2016 12:39:37 PM
At 10/25/2016 12:38:00 PM, Hybrid_Chaos wrote:
At 10/25/2016 7:42:10 AM, Discipulus_Didicit wrote:
Vote Count

Chaos (1/5) - Matt

I was voted for Vaarka

I saw, thanks for pointing it out

MattTheDreamer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2016 2:06:32 PM
At 10/25/2016 11:59:47 AM, Vaarka wrote:
At 10/25/2016 8:16:32 AM, MattTheDreamer wrote:
A useful post for the noobs here: http://forum.mafiascum.net...

I can guarantee that at least two noobs won't be able open that link.

Now to write the opening that I was planning on posting right when the game started...

lol.
MattTheDreamer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2016 2:09:19 PM

Best of luck to you all!

VTL Vaarka

Interesting. For next time, you don't need to claim unless you have a lot of pressure on you.

I believe you though, for now. Unvote
Hybrid_Chaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2016 2:18:23 PM
At 10/25/2016 2:09:19 PM, MattTheDreamer wrote:

Best of luck to you all!

VTL Vaarka

Interesting. For next time, you don't need to claim unless you have a lot of pressure on you.

So when I play with friends we normally just vote and when they claim role they unvote, so I'm fine with claiming early if it's not against the rules.
MattTheDreamer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2016 2:19:29 PM
At 10/25/2016 2:18:23 PM, Hybrid_Chaos wrote:

Best of luck to you all!

VTL Vaarka

So when I play with friends we normally just vote and when they claim role they unvote, so I'm fine with claiming early if it's not against the rules.

Don't worry about it.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2016 2:44:02 PM
At 10/25/2016 2:18:23 PM, Hybrid_Chaos wrote:

Best of luck to you all!

VTL Vaarka

It's not a rule or anything, but claiming off of little or no pressure isn't usually the best idea. Sure, if you've got a role that hinders town (like a miller), then go for it, but I don't think we've got any of those in this game.

If you're being pressured by a couple people, then feel free, but if it's an important role, like a cop or a doctor or something, then you should try to refrain from claiming unless you absolutely have to. For example, if you're an important power role, the only time you should claim is if you're about to be lynched, in which case your life is more important than your role. Another case for a claim is if you are an investigative role (like a cop), and you have information regarding scum. For example, if you were a cop, and you get a result on someone saying "guilty", then you should out your results about being a cop with all of your previous results, including the guilty ones. If you just got innocent on someone, don't out that information unless the innocent person is about to be lynched.

Ciacco
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2016 2:49:23 PM
I'm not too sure what to post but I want to stay active and not lurk. Nevertheless, I'm excited about playing.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2016 2:54:26 PM
At 10/25/2016 2:49:23 PM, Ciacco wrote:
I'm not too sure what to post but I want to stay active and not lurk. Nevertheless, I'm excited about playing.

WEEEEEELCOME to the game. If you don't know what to post, that's...uh, well I guess that's not exactly good, but hey, I was like this for my first game.

I'll start off by asking you a question (and reminding you that you can ask bsh1 and I any questions that you can come up with): Can you think of another reason why claiming early isn't always a good idea? (I provided a couple of examples in post #25, referring to Chaos claiming early and Matt commenting on it)

Discipulus_Didicit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2016 2:55:55 PM
Vote Count

ThinkBig (1/5) - Matt
Vaarka (1/5) - Chaos
Cobalt - You could be scum too.
Matt - I suppose. But I also might not be.

Kiri - Yeah, I don't know what DD is doing.
Vaarka - He's doin'a thingy do

DD - The best advice most often goes unheeded.
Wise Man - KYS, DD.
DD - Case in point ^
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2016 2:56:35 PM
At 10/25/2016 2:55:55 PM, Discipulus_Didicit wrote:
Vote Count

ThinkBig (1/5) - Matt
Vaarka (1/5) - Chaos

You should bold the words "vote count" ;3

MattTheDreamer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2016 2:57:55 PM
The theory is, that the more unknowns we have, the less chance of scum NKing a power role. If more and more people claim, scum is more likely to hit a power role. At least that's how I see it.