Discipulus_Didicit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 6:09:19 PM
Posted: 3 weeks ago
Town wins.

MAFIA

Chaos - You are the Heavy Cruiser, the largest and most deadly super-capital class to see action during the Homeworld war. Equipped with a whopping two Ion Cannons, along with six Heavy Projectile Cannons as secondary weapons. This massive amount of firepower makes you the 1-shot Strongman. Once per game, you may target another player to die, bypassing any protective abilities. You win with the mafia.

Modd note: Small typo here, Heavy Cruisers actually have more than two ion cannons. This typo had no effect on the game.

Ciacco (replaced by Fire) - You are the Defense Field Frigate, a minimally armed capital ship which produces an energy field designed to reduce the impact of enemy fire against enemy ships. This ability to block certain weapons fired by the enemy makes you the one-shot Roleblocker. Once per game, you may choose another player. That player will be unable to use their role. You win with the mafia.

Mod note: Small typo here, I confused the DFF with the Field Frigate, which is the ship I was actually thinking of. This typo had minimal effect on the game.

TOWN

Bsh - You are the Proximity Sensor, a remotely-operated sensor beacon designed to uncover nearby cloaked enemy units. Because you can only detect ships within a short range you must be manually directed to locations suspected to have cloaked enemy ships in the area to uncover them, making you the 2-shot cop. Each night you may select a player. You will learn whether that player is town (innocent) or not (guilty). If roleblocked, you will receive "no result." You may only use this ability twice. You win with the Town.

City (replaced by Matt) - You are the Interceptor, a basic fighter used to combat enemy strike craft. You are the basic model to which other craft your size are typically compared, and your average nature makes you Vanilla. You have no special abilities. You win with the town.

Math - You are the Probe, an unmanned one-use sensor package used to keep tabs on sectors with no friendly presence without using more expensive assets. Because of the probes usefulness in keeping tabs on the enemy you are the one-shot tracker. During one night you may select a player. You will learn who that player visited but not what action(s) they took. You win with the town.

Matt - You are the Repair Corvette, a highly specialized support ship whose only function is the repair of other vessels. Because your only support function is repair you are often put on the front line as an expendable way of keeping critical ships alive, making you the Odd-Night Doctor. Each odd night you may select a player. That player will be protected from lethal actions. You win with the town.

Think (temporarily replaced by Conceptua) - You are the Light Corvette, a basic combat corvette used to combat enemy strike craft. You are the basic model to which other craft your size are typically compared, and your average nature makes you Vanilla. You have no special abilities. You win with the town.

Tree - You are the Cloaked Fighter, a basic light fighter design incorporating stealth technology necessary for certain special assignments. Because of your immunity to long-range sensors, short-range scans, and visual detection you are the Ascetic. You cannot be targeted by non-lethal actions. You win with town.

Vaarka - You are the Scout, a basic light fighter with minimal weaponry and armor designed for cheap recon of distant locations. Your firepower is poor, your armor virtually non-existant, and your speed is hardly the advantage it could be due to your small fuel capacity. Your only real advantage is that you are cheap to mass produce, so you are Vanilla. You have no special abilities. You win with the town.

ACTIONS

NP1

Fire - Kill Vaarka and Roleblock Math
Matt - Doc Vaarka

Mod note: Math had not claimed at this point so I must ask... dear god Fire why?

NP2

Chaos - Strongman kill Matt

NP3

Chaos - Kill City (replaced by Matt)
Math - Track Think

MVP

MVP for this game goes to Chaos. He was on the losing team, but that was just bad luck on his part. If Math had used his ability sooner then Chaos would have won, I guarantee it. He claimed salvage corvette and sensor. How does this go together? I have no idea, and neither do you town. He was able to dodge giving any justification for it without drawing suspiscion. Props to him for being able to get away with that, and shame on our town ringers for allowing it.

Theme

Mafia - Both mafia characters were capital ships. One character (Defense Field Frigate) was a Hiigaran ship (was supposed to be a Taiidan one, see mod note under DFF description above). The other was not a faction-specific ship.

Town - All town characters were non-capital ships. One character (Cloaked Fighter) was a Kushan ship, all the rest were not faction-specific. About 50% were non-combat ships.

Mod Comments

Town dropped the ball on this one. You guys lynched your cop DP1, but that was clearly not your fault. Objectively bad theme analysis combined with not asking Chaos basic SOP questions after his claimed is where this game started going downhill. The only thing that saved town was the fact that Math saved his one-shot tracker for the end and used it wisely.

After Chaos character-claimed salvage Corvette, Tree asked him if he was Kushan or Taiidan. The fact that Chaos took a few minutes to answer was, in my opinion, not suspicious at all. The fact that he answered "Kushan" should have gotten him insta-lynched. Let me explain this by copy-pasting a PM I sent Saph around that time:

"And this is why basing reads on theme analysis is retarded. Tree did just enough research on the theme to see that his character is a ship only produced by the Kushan, but not enough to realize that his is one of only two such ships, and the vast majority of ships are produced by both Kushan and Taiidan. Because of this he wrongly assumes that the theme is Kushan vs. Taiidan and let Chaos get out of being lynched just because he happened to correctly guess on a 50/50 shot which answer would make Tree town read him based off of shitty theme analysis.

Not to mention that they can all clearly see bsh was a proximity sensor, used by Taiidan and Kushan... Math is going along with it despite the fact that his character is also used by Taiidan and Kushan (which would be forgiveable as a lack of theme knowledge, if not for the fact that he makes it obvious that he did research on the theme when he made his post about the salvage corvette)... Vaarka or Matt better call Tree out on this."

Vaarka never called Tree out on this due to a lack of theme analysis. Matt, who appeared to be doing moderate theme analysis, did figure it out... eventually. This prompted my next PM:

"Well Matt finally realized that a ships faction doesn't matter themewise, though I am not sure why he said the DFF is a muti-faction ship... it isn't..."

Well, that's it. Any questions?
Cobalt - You could be scum too.
Matt - I suppose. But I also might not be.

Kiri - Yeah, I don't know what DD is doing.
Vaarka - He's doin'a thingy do

DD - The best advice most often goes unheeded.
Wise Man - KYS, DD.
DD - Case in point ^
ThinkBig
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 6:41:41 PM
Gg all. Chaos definitely deserved to win this one.
ThinkBig
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Notable Notes and Quotable Quotes
"I GOT SIG'D"
"WELL FVCK ME IN THE A$SHOLE AND CALL ME A CUCK I GOT SIG'D AGAIN"
-Kiri
If anyone's getting modkilled, it's kiri. Just for his sig.
-7th
Need a judge or vote? Nominate me!!
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 6:50:41 PM
At 11/18/2016 6:09:19 PM, Discipulus_Didicit wrote:
Town wins.

MAFIA

Chaos - You are the Heavy Cruiser, the largest and most deadly super-capital class to see action during the Homeworld war. Equipped with a whopping two Ion Cannons, along with six Heavy Projectile Cannons as secondary weapons. This massive amount of firepower makes you the 1-shot Strongman. Once per game, you may target another player to die, bypassing any protective abilities. You win with the mafia.

Modd note: Small typo here, Heavy Cruisers actually have more than two ion cannons. This typo had no effect on the game.

Ciacco (replaced by Fire) - You are the Defense Field Frigate, a minimally armed capital ship which produces an energy field designed to reduce the impact of enemy fire against enemy ships. This ability to block certain weapons fired by the enemy makes you the one-shot Roleblocker. Once per game, you may choose another player. That player will be unable to use their role. You win with the mafia.

Mod note: Small typo here, I confused the DFF with the Field Frigate, which is the ship I was actually thinking of. This typo had minimal effect on the game.

TOWN

Bsh - You are the Proximity Sensor, a remotely-operated sensor beacon designed to uncover nearby cloaked enemy units. Because you can only detect ships within a short range you must be manually directed to locations suspected to have cloaked enemy ships in the area to uncover them, making you the 2-shot cop. Each night you may select a player. You will learn whether that player is town (innocent) or not (guilty). If roleblocked, you will receive "no result." You may only use this ability twice. You win with the Town.

City (replaced by Matt) - You are the Interceptor, a basic fighter used to combat enemy strike craft. You are the basic model to which other craft your size are typically compared, and your average nature makes you Vanilla. You have no special abilities. You win with the town.

Math - You are the Probe, an unmanned one-use sensor package used to keep tabs on sectors with no friendly presence without using more expensive assets. Because of the probes usefulness in keeping tabs on the enemy you are the one-shot tracker. During one night you may select a player. You will learn who that player visited but not what action(s) they took. You win with the town.

Matt - You are the Repair Corvette, a highly specialized support ship whose only function is the repair of other vessels. Because your only support function is repair you are often put on the front line as an expendable way of keeping critical ships alive, making you the Odd-Night Doctor. Each odd night you may select a player. That player will be protected from lethal actions. You win with the town.

Think (temporarily replaced by Conceptua) - You are the Light Corvette, a basic combat corvette used to combat enemy strike craft. You are the basic model to which other craft your size are typically compared, and your average nature makes you Vanilla. You have no special abilities. You win with the town.

Tree - You are the Cloaked Fighter, a basic light fighter design incorporating stealth technology necessary for certain special assignments. Because of your immunity to long-range sensors, short-range scans, and visual detection you are the Ascetic. You cannot be targeted by non-lethal actions. You win with town.

Vaarka - You are the Scout, a basic light fighter with minimal weaponry and armor designed for cheap recon of distant locations. Your firepower is poor, your armor virtually non-existant, and your speed is hardly the advantage it could be due to your small fuel capacity. Your only real advantage is that you are cheap to mass produce, so you are Vanilla. You have no special abilities. You win with the town.

ACTIONS

NP1

Fire - Kill Vaarka and Roleblock Math
Matt - Doc Vaarka

Mod note: Math had not claimed at this point so I must ask... dear god Fire why?

NP2

Chaos - Strongman kill Matt

NP3

Chaos - Kill City (replaced by Matt)
Math - Track Think
I was really hoping you'd put my action here...

MVP

MVP for this game goes to Chaos. He was on the losing team, but that was just bad luck on his part. If Math had used his ability sooner then Chaos would have won, I guarantee it. He claimed salvage corvette and sensor. How does this go together? I have no idea, and neither do you town. He was able to dodge giving any justification for it without drawing suspiscion. Props to him for being able to get away with that, and shame on our town ringers for allowing it.
Chaos definitely pulled the game in his favor. I had first gained suspicion on him around DP3, but it wasn't strong enough for me to find a reason to force it. I honestly believed Tree's claim more, but with the DP nearing an end, and the fact that we'd live to DP4 even with a mislynch, I decided "eh, maybe he is scum".

I was wrong.

So from the start of DP4, I had a feeling I'd probably push for a Chaos lynch. Either way, good job on his part :3

Theme

Mafia - Both mafia characters were capital ships. One character (Defense Field Frigate) was a Hiigaran ship (was supposed to be a Taiidan one, see mod note under DFF description above). The other was not a faction-specific ship.

Town - All town characters were non-capital ships. One character (Cloaked Fighter) was a Kushan ship, all the rest were not faction-specific. About 50% were non-combat ships.

Mod Comments

Town dropped the ball on this one. You guys lynched your cop DP1, but that was clearly not your fault. Objectively bad theme analysis combined with not asking Chaos basic SOP questions after his claimed is where this game started going downhill. The only thing that saved town was the fact that Math saved his one-shot tracker for the end and used it wisely.

After Chaos character-claimed salvage Corvette, Tree asked him if he was Kushan or Taiidan. The fact that Chaos took a few minutes to answer was, in my opinion, not suspicious at all. The fact that he answered "Kushan" should have gotten him insta-lynched. Let me explain this by copy-pasting a PM I sent Saph around that time:

"And this is why basing reads on theme analysis is retarded. Tree did just enough research on the theme to see that his character is a ship only produced by the Kushan, but not enough to realize that his is one of only two such ships, and the vast majority of ships are produced by both Kushan and Taiidan. Because of this he wrongly assumes that the theme is Kushan vs. Taiidan and let Chaos get out of being lynched just because he happened to correctly guess on a 50/50 shot which answer would make Tree town read him based off of shitty theme analysis.

Not to mention that they can all clearly see bsh was a proximity sensor, used by Taiidan and Kushan... Math is going along with it despite the fact that his character is also used by Taiidan and Kushan (which would be forgiveable as a lack of theme knowledge, if not for the fact that he makes it obvious that he did research on the theme when he made his post about the salvage corvette)... Vaarka or Matt better call Tree out on this."

Vaarka never called Tree out on this due to a lack of theme analysis. Matt, who appeared to be doing moderate theme analysis, did figure it out... eventually. This prompted my next PM:
Lol, I rarely try and rely on theme analysis, especially if it requires me doing more research. If I have a knowledge on it, or it's some simple thing, then maybe, but most players were doing the theme research for me, so I didn't really bother.

"Well Matt finally realized that a ships faction doesn't matter themewise, though I am not sure why he said the DFF is a muti-
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 6:57:31 PM
I also feel like a factor in mafia's close succession was the amount of replacements we suddenly needed. DP1, we need three replacements (and lynched one of them). We ended up replacing Think, City, Ciacco, bsh1, and Conceptua.

So basically, we had 3 people gone in DP1, and two more gone in DP2. This made inactivity a guarantee, considering we had 5 people have to leave, one of whom was a replacement, and it took time to find replacements. This meant that for almost the entire game, there were only around 5-6 active players.

Special thanks to everyone who was able to replace at some point in the game :3
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Discipulus_Didicit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 7:03:45 PM
At 11/18/2016 6:50:41 PM, Vaarka wrote:
Lol, I rarely try and rely on theme analysis, especially if it requires me doing more research. If I have a knowledge on it, or it's some simple thing, then maybe, but most players were doing the theme research for me, so I didn't really bother.

A lack of theme analysis does not hurt town in my opinion, and your lack of theme analysis certainly did not. Objectively bad theme analysis, however...

Also I promised I would save my comment on your DP 2 post 239 for the endgame. In hindsight you can see that at the time you called town 'doomed' yet both scums were under heavy lynch pressure. Just another of lifes little ironies ;)

Wise Man - KYS, DD.
DD - Case in point ^
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 7:04:46 PM
Also, regarding my posts about Ciacco, this was because for most of DP1, when he was inactive, I would send him a link to the game and remind him "yo the game is up."

I basically gained suspicion on him from this, and I had to do my best to not let it influence my reads in-game, because it was technically an "outside cause". We never discussed the game outside of the game, I can promise you that. He never said anything about the game itself to me. It was his responses to my reminders that did this, which is why I knew I couldn't use it as a reason for any suspicion (other than annoyance and what was obvious).

So first reminder, he says "Oh cool," and that's fine. However, after probably reminder three, when he says "Oh yeah," I kinda thought "alright something's up".
"I'll get back to it tonight"
"I'll check it later"
"I forgot about the game, lol"

Not the he said all of those, but it's stuff like this that points towards avoidance. Sure, a player can say one of the above, but if they don't keep their word on that, then it's obvious avoidance, and it's why I was willing to lynch bsh DP1, because he was doing basically that, which basically screamed avoidance.

"Dear bsh1, I know that you're passionate about politics and the election, but unfortunately, I'm not, so you'd better stop ignoring this game."

Discipulus_Didicit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 7:04:59 PM
Special thanks to everyone who was able to replace at some point in the game :3

Wise Man - KYS, DD.
DD - Case in point ^
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 7:05:46 PM
At 11/18/2016 7:03:45 PM, Discipulus_Didicit wrote:
At 11/18/2016 6:50:41 PM, Vaarka wrote:

A lack of theme analysis does not hurt town in my opinion, and your lack of theme analysis certainly did not. Objectively bad theme analysis, however...

Also I promised I would save my comment on your DP 2 post 239 for the endgame. In hindsight you can see that at the time you called town 'doomed' yet both scums were under heavy lynch pressure. Just another of lifes little ironies ;)

I said that kind of ironically, because of all the replacements, the long weekend, and no time-extension. I didn't mean it seriously ;3

Discipulus_Didicit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 7:14:36 PM
At 11/18/2016 7:04:46 PM, Vaarka wrote:

I'll never understand why scum tend to be more likely to be innactive (clearly not the case in this game, but in general...)

Let's completely ignore the fact that it actually brings more attention to you. Let's in fact pretend that somehow being less active makes you less likely to be noticed (makes no sense on paper or in practice, but let's just suppose...) You are still forfeiting the opportunity to push yoir agenda in any way, which is setting yourself up for failure.

Not to mention the fact that the whole point of playing the game of mafia... is to play the game of mafia...

Wise Man - KYS, DD.
DD - Case in point ^
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 7:16:08 PM
At 11/18/2016 7:14:36 PM, Discipulus_Didicit wrote:

I'll never understand why scum tend to be more likely to be innactive (clearly not the case in this game, but in general...)

Let's completely ignore the fact that it actually brings more attention to you. Let's in fact pretend that somehow being less active makes you less likely to be noticed (makes no sense on paper or in practice, but let's just suppose...) You are still forfeiting the opportunity to push yoir agenda in any way, which is setting yourself up for failure.

Not to mention the fact that the whole point of playing the game of mafia... is to play the game of mafia...

It's because they're afraid they'll mess up. As town, they don't have to worry as much about "saying the wrong thing", because they're town. However, as mafia, they do have to be more careful about what they say, and for new players who already struggle with what to say, they just don't know what to do, so they don't do anything.

Discipulus_Didicit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 7:20:24 PM
At 11/18/2016 7:16:08 PM, Vaarka wrote:

It's because they're afraid they'll mess up. As town, they don't have to worry as much about "saying the wrong thing", because they're town. However, as mafia, they do have to be more careful about what they say, and for new players who already struggle with what to say, they just don't know what to do, so they don't do anything.

Ive never felt pressure like that. Maybe if I was ever lynched for something I did it would be different, but as it it I have only ever been lynched by a mafia quickhammer in my first game ever and... well... I don't want to talk about the other time. Still too painful, you know... emotionally.

Wise Man - KYS, DD.
DD - Case in point ^
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 7:24:58 PM
At 11/18/2016 7:20:24 PM, Discipulus_Didicit wrote:

Ive never felt pressure like that. Maybe if I was ever lynched for something I did it would be different, but as it it I have only ever been lynched by a mafia quickhammer in my first game ever and... well... I don't want to talk about the other time. Still too painful, you know... emotionally.

Back when beginner mafia was 3 games a series, and it was my first series, I can attest that my game one was rather uncomfortable and a little scary/intimidating, since I had no idea how to play. I was hoping to get some of that out of the way with 49.1, but it ended rather quickly. My second game in the series, however, I was mafia, and only had one partner, who was also brand new. We were both pretty inactive, and I was for some of the reasons I listed above. It's one thing to be newb scum with partners, but it's another thing to be newb scum with another newb scum.

ThinkBig
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 7:26:15 PM
At 11/18/2016 7:24:58 PM, Vaarka wrote:

Back when beginner mafia was 3 games a series, and it was my first series, I can attest that my game one was rather uncomfortable and a little scary/intimidating, since I had no idea how to play. I was hoping to get some of that out of the way with 49.1, but it ended rather quickly. My second game in the series, however, I was mafia, and only had one partner, who was also brand new. We were both pretty inactive, and I was for some of the reasons I listed above. It's one thing to be newb scum with partners, but it's another thing to be newb scum with another newb scum.

I was playing in a game once. We had two people at L-1. One was myself and the other was a scum. His scum buddy came in and hammered me. I will still never forgive him for that.
ThinkBig
Notable Notes and Quotable Quotes
"I GOT SIG'D"
"WELL FVCK ME IN THE A$SHOLE AND CALL ME A CUCK I GOT SIG'D AGAIN"
-Kiri
If anyone's getting modkilled, it's kiri. Just for his sig.
-7th
Need a judge or vote? Nominate me!!
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 7:33:05 PM
At 11/18/2016 7:26:15 PM, ThinkBig wrote:
At 11/18/2016 7:24:58 PM, Vaarka wrote:

I was playing in a game once. We had two people at L-1. One was myself and the other was a scum. His scum buddy came in and hammered me. I will still never forgive him for that.

I feel like I remember that game.
And you can't be mad about that because scum was just winning. You can't be mad at someone for playing towards their wincon. It's like getting kicked from a TTT server in gmod because you "RDM (random death match...aka randomly shot someone for no reason)", but you were a traitor.

It's always annoying when I'm alone with someone, kill them, and they report me for RDM and I get kicked for it...

Hybrid_Chaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 7:37:22 PM
gahhhhh I was so close. It was a good game, very fun, thanks for the MVP though, looking forward to the next one.
The Cycle Of Life And Death Will Continue. We Will Live. They Will die.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 7:38:46 PM
At 11/18/2016 7:37:22 PM, Hybrid_Chaos wrote:
gahhhhh I was so close. It was a good game, very fun, thanks for the MVP though, looking forward to the next one.

Glad you enjoyed it, and glad you did well too ^.^

Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 7:39:20 PM

Also, DD, was there a MVP for game one or no?

Discipulus_Didicit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 7:45:54 PM
At 11/18/2016 7:39:20 PM, Vaarka wrote:

No. In my opinion MVP is something that should only be given to award good play, not just given to whoever was the best because best isn't always good.

Game one was too short for any really good play to really happen. Town overall was good, but nobody stood out to me.

If in game two I thought Chaos was only okayish but still the best, then there also would have been no game two MVP. That was not the case though.

Wise Man - KYS, DD.
DD - Case in point ^
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 7:46:45 PM
At 11/18/2016 7:45:54 PM, Discipulus_Didicit wrote:
At 11/18/2016 7:39:20 PM, Vaarka wrote:

No. In my opinion MVP is something that should only be given to award good play, not just given to whoever was the best because best isn't always good.

Game one was too short for any really good play to really happen. Town overall was good, but nobody stood out to me.
I figured as much

If in game two I thought Chaos was only okayish but still the best, then there also would have been no game two MVP. That was not the case though.
Yes, he definitely deserved MVP

mathebest07
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 11:59:48 PM
GG all, we all played well. I agree with Vaarka, I think the replacement issue did effect the game someone (in the mafia's favor IMO) yet it all worked out in the end.

Full credit to Chaos though, really really good play. Had me going for a long while.
Tree_of_Death
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 4:19:34 AM
Heh. Good game all. Chaos, that was really impressive :)
"If life were easy, it wouldn't be difficult."--Kermit the Frog

#Treebrokethechurchbells--DD

"I am after all the purveyor of intellectually dishonest propaganda." --YYW