Battle of the Books Mafia Day Phase 1

askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 7:23:32 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Rules:

1. You may not screenprint your role pm or any pms for any reason. Ever. This will never change. Do it and I will modkill you. You may also not copy and paste the contents of your role pm. You may only summarize.

2. You may not be inactive for an entire day phase, otherwise you will be replaced

3. You must ask all private questions in your role pm.

4. You must vote for a person in bold Example: "Vote john"

5. You may unvote at any time in bold

6. Once a majority of votes has been obtained on a player in the day phase, or the mafia have selected him to be killed at night, the player will be lynched (removed from the game) and may not post in any of the threads or pms. The person is out of the game and may not post.

7. Townies may be considered for replacements

8. Please ask me unlimited amounts of questions via pms.

9. You may not communicate with anyone about this game in Private Messages unless I have created the Private Message and am a part of the private message. If anyone else is doing this, it is cheating. Report them immediately.

10. Please be active and post.

11. When a player reaches the required number of votes they are lynched. No matter if I'm online or not.

Role PMs are being sent out currently. Mafia players will receive a PM which will inform them that they are mafia. A Private Message will be created between the mafia members and myself by myself. Townie players will receive a PM which will inform that they are townie and nothing else. No PM will be created for Townies. Mafia will know who the townies are and who the mafia are. Townies will not know who the townies or the mafia are.

The mafia goal is to survive without being lynched (voted off) during the day phase. They will try to kill off who they perceive to be the most valuable townie player at night. When the number of townies are equal to the number of mafia, the mafia will win. The reason for is this because with 2 townies and 2 mafia, the mafia will just not vote. This will cause a "no-lynch" where no one is lynched and the game proceeds to the night phase where the mafia will kill off a townie and then lynch the next one during the next day phase as they will then have the majority of 2 to 1. The townies win by killing all of the mafia

The townie goal is to prevent the mafia goal of winning and to eliminate all mafia players. The game will not end with a townie victory unless all mafia players have been eliminated.

As soon as a player has been lynched (voted out) the dead persons allegiance (townie or mafia) will be announced and the game will change from day phase to night phase. What this means is that the mafia will kill someone and have time to decide who they will kill. During this time there will be no posting in the day phase. After the kill has been decided, the next day phase will immediately start and the killed player will be announced along with his allegiance.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 7:24:11 PM
Active Players:
1. timbeech
2. M.Torres
3. nonentity
4. rogue
5. bluesteel
6. Freeman
7. Superboy777
8. Korashk
9. annhasle
10. Paradigm_Lost
11. HatedeatH
12. popculturepooka
13. Sportsguru

Replacements:
1. Charr
2. boomeranhugs
3. OreEle
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 7:31:57 PM
Alright, I have to go within the next 30 min. so I'll be back on in a couple hours. I win with the town.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 7:35:58 PM
Seeing as we don't know anything, I'm going with my usual strategy for now. No lynch.

I'll still be actively trying to help get leads for Town. With no Mafia count, we sure as hell need as many as we can get.
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 7:37:45 PM
VTL rogue

for pressure.
http://www.gaiaonline.com...

Since this is the third beginner game I assume you all know about pressuring people for information. If you don't I'll explain.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
HatedeatH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 7:40:18 PM
I'm still new to this so I'm just going to start by saying I'm town.
vardas0antras: If Muhammad is great then why didn't he stop 911 ?
gavin.ogden: He was too busy starting it.
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 7:44:07 PM
At 1/22/2011 7:37:45 PM, Korashk wrote:
VTL rogue

for pressure.

Since this is the third beginner game I assume you all know about pressuring people for information. If you don't I'll explain.

I get the gist of it. And it was random then?

Still not sure if it's helpful (total newbie here), because might it give the Mafia info the town needs?

annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 7:45:53 PM
At 1/22/2011 7:44:07 PM, M.Torres wrote:
VTL rogue

for pressure.

Yup, totally random.

Still not sure if it's helpful (total newbie here), because might it give the Mafia info the town needs?

It's better to start off somewhere to get the Day Phase going without the added suspicion of "Why did you pick that person?" which erodes to completely useless banter. Plus, it's for character claim -- not role claim as of yet.
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 7:47:34 PM
At 1/22/2011 7:45:53 PM, annhasle wrote:
VTL rogue

for pressure.

Yup, totally random.

It's better to start off somewhere to get the Day Phase going without the added suspicion of "Why did you pick that person?" which erodes to completely useless banter. Plus, it's for character claim -- not role claim as of yet.

Character claim being we know the name but not the power? Or to know their alignment but not the role?

Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 7:54:17 PM
At 1/22/2011 7:47:34 PM, M.Torres wrote:
VTL rogue

for pressure.

Yup, totally random.

Character claim being we know the name but not the power? Or to know their alignment but not the role?

Name, not power.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 7:55:11 PM
VTL rogue

for pressure.

Yup, totally random.

That we know their name and alignment but not if they have role powers.
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 7:59:28 PM
At 1/22/2011 7:55:11 PM, annhasle wrote:
VTL rogue

for pressure.

Yup, totally random.

That we know their name and alignment but not if they have role powers.

Oh. That way you can check for double-claims without revealing powers?

askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 8:16:20 PM
Lynch-O-Tron

rogue - (2/7) - Korashk - annhasle

No Lynch - (1/7) - M.Torres
HatedeatH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 8:53:10 PM
I suppose I'll play it safe as well and go with no lynch.
vardas0antras: If Muhammad is great then why didn't he stop 911 ?
gavin.ogden: He was too busy starting it.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 9:39:15 PM
Also, for those adding to the pressure on rogue:

It's not a good idea to put too many votes on a person we're only pressuring. For instance with 7 required to lynch it would be good to stop at 4 or 5, preferably 4.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 9:49:55 PM
At 1/22/2011 9:43:19 PM, annhasle wrote:
I see no logic to VTNL.

There is logic to it, I think, after the town has pressured some people to no avail. However, I don't see the point of going right for it. Might as well start the game on a NP. It isn't beneficial to the town at all and basically grants the mafia a free kill with the town having little to no information other than night roles on DP2.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 9:57:19 PM
At 1/22/2011 9:49:55 PM, Korashk wrote:
At 1/22/2011 9:43:19 PM, annhasle wrote:
I see no logic to VTNL.

There is logic to it, I think, after the town has pressured some people to no avail. However, I don't see the point of going right for it. Might as well start the game on a NP. It isn't beneficial to the town at all and basically grants the mafia a free kill with the town having little to no information other than night roles on DP2.

That's what I mean -- two votes for VTNL right away is nonsensical.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 10:02:45 PM
Yeah, M.Torres, seriously what's with the VTNL obsession?

You seemed to push it awfully heavily last game, when you were mafia. We definitely need more info before moving on.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 10:14:46 PM
At 1/22/2011 10:02:45 PM, bluesteel wrote:

You seemed to push it awfully heavily last game, when you were mafia. We definitely need more info before moving on.

I never actually VTNLed last game.

And the reason, again, is that I'd rather not mislynch. One Townie loss is better than two.

I'm all for info. If were close to a VTNL, I may unvote (as in my first game).

I'm sorry for losing your trust last game, Bluesteel, but I genuinely don't want a mislynch.

Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 10:20:14 PM
At 1/22/2011 10:14:46 PM, M.Torres wrote:
And the reason, again, is that I'd rather not mislynch. One Townie loss is better than two.

The point of pressure voting is to coerce people into cooperating with the town, not to lynch them. For instance, if later in the game a pressured person acts mafia-ish the rest of the town is in a position to lynch if the situation calls for it.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 10:21:09 PM
At 1/22/2011 10:02:45 PM, bluesteel wrote:

I never actually VTNLed last game.

I'm all for info. If were close to a VTNL, I may unvote (as in my first game).

I'm sorry for losing your trust last game, Bluesteel, but I genuinely don't want a mislynch.

I'm not gonna hold it against you that you were mafia . . . in fact, you helped us win with your mistake, so thanks :)
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 10:23:40 PM
VTL rogue

Should be enough pressure now to get things going.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 10:24:12 PM
M.Torres, you don't lynch the person you put pressure on right away -- you leave it so that there's significant pressure (such as 5 or 4 votes out of 7) so they know that they're close to being lynched and cooperate. This is just to push them -- not to kill them.
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 10:28:50 PM
At 1/22/2011 10:20:14 PM, Korashk wrote:

The point of pressure voting is to coerce people into cooperating with the town, not to lynch them. For instance, if later in the game a pressured person acts mafia-ish the rest of the town is in a position to lynch if the situation calls for it.

Okay. I get it. Thanks. For now, though, Ill just let others pressure (seeing as there is enoug to do so).

M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 10:36:16 PM
At 1/22/2011 10:24:12 PM, annhasle wrote:
M.Torres, you don't lynch the person you put pressure on right away -- you leave it so that there's significant pressure (such as 5 or 4 votes out of 7) so they know that they're close to being lynched and cooperate. This is just to push them -- not to kill them.

Okay. Though Mafia could still get a lynch if they worked quick enough... but you guys know what you're doing. And if they know you won't lynch them (since its pressure) why would they cooperate? Jw

annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 10:37:14 PM
At 1/22/2011 10:36:16 PM, M.Torres wrote:

Okay. Though Mafia could still get a lynch if they worked quick enough... but you guys know what you're doing. And if they know you won't lynch them (since its pressure) why would they cooperate? Jw

Well, that depends. If they don't claim -- they look suspicious and WILL be lynched. If they claim, then the pressure is taking off until we fact check.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 10:44:35 PM

That will likely never happen. You see, the whole town knows that we're just pressuring right now. If there are 5 votes and the mafia quickly gets two votes on her, those two people are basically outed as mafia.
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 10:48:00 PM
At 1/22/2011 10:37:14 PM, annhasle wrote:

Well, that depends. If they don't claim -- they look suspicious and WILL be lynched. If they claim, then the pressure is taking off until we fact check.

But the randomness may result in a Townie revealing to the Mafias benefit. Ugh. I see problems with it, but I'm not going against it. You guys know what you're doing.