Battle of the Books Mafia Endgame

askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 10:30:14 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Bluesteel

Dracula - I VANT TO SUCK YOUR BLOOD - If you successfully visit a character 4 nights in a row without dying or being forced to do otherwise, you will convert a townie to the mafia. You may only do this with one townie so after you have one townie converted you may not pursue another. You are aligned with the mafia

Freeman/OreEle

Frankenstein - Reviver - Can revive one of your fallen comrades if they are killed at night - You will be notified if one of them die and will be given the option to "revive" them. In essence you block the kill from ever occuring so to the vigilante it will appear as though their kill did not work/they were blocked/tried to kill a protected character by the doctor. You are aligned with the mafia and will be included in the mafia pm.

Superboy777

You are Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde the Godfather you ar Innocent to investigation and Appear like a normal human being during the day... but at night... You are aligned with the mafia

Annhasle

Athos - You are Athos and while you have no special abilities yet, you may be recruited to fight for the king of France! You are aligned with the town.

HatedeatH

Are Sherlock Holmes the Detective. Elementary my dear watson! you are the cop and can investigate someone each night and find out whether they are guilty or innocent. You are aligned with the town.

Korashk

Hey Aramis you are the Mason Recruiter and may only recruit worthy swordsmen loyal to the king - if you recruit someone loyal to the cardinal, you will die. Remember you can only recruit swordsmen. I don't think civilians will want to join you. You are aligned with the town.

M. Torres

You are Tom Sawyer and have to whitewash a fence. NAH just let a bunch of other people do it for you. You are the Role Stealer and can force a player to use whatever role power they have on a person of your choice. You will not be told anything about them or their role but will simply be able to force them to use their role power if they have one. If they do not then you will have essentially done nothing. In either circumstance they will not know who it is that is changing their role action but will be informed that it was changed. You are aligned with the town.

nonentity

Hello Lisbeth. You are a world renown hacker and may hack into the a players computer at night and infect them with a virus. This virus will prevent them from saying anything during the night phase. You are aligned with the town.

Paradigm_Lost

You are Gandalf, the Jack of All Trades - You get 2 one-shot spells to use during the game - A shield spell to protect yourself, a Light spell to ward off one night phase from happening. You are aligned with the town.

popculturepooka

Oh that gascon blood in you! You are d'Artagnan You take matters into your own hands and can duel and kill someone each night for you are an excellent swordsman. You also can be recruited to join the King's royal guards. You are aligned with the town.

rogue

You are holden caulfield, damn phonies, You may investigate one player each night to see if they are phonies (mafia) or good people (town) You are aligned with the town. (ACTUALLY IS PARANOID COP IE EVERYONE IS GUILTY)

Sportsguru/mongeese

You are Don Quixote the Crazy Knight you May only speak through the moron filter = http://www.rinkworks.com... You are aligned with the town.

Timbeech

You are Porthos a fat swordsman who's looking to make a way for himself. You are able to be recruited to fight for the king. You are aligned with the town.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 10:35:53 PM
Mafia Advice posted in the mafia pm

In this thread you discuss your strategy for surviving the day phase, helping out teammates when they are in sticky situations or made an error in judgement.

Remember you do not want to be discovered and killed but want the others to lynch themselves.

At night both of you will have to mutually decide upon a player to kill. It's always the wisest in non-role games to pick the player who is most dangerous to you. Beware though that your choice doesn't indicate who you are. Also beware that your votes don't look organized (one coming right after the other, always agreeing on things, defending each other to no end)

Remember if one dies but the other survives until the end, you still win so be careful that if someone makes a huge blunder the other doesn't go down with the ship.

Some things in mafia games that typically identify mafia:

Lurking - being online without posting in the day phase is always a good sign that the player might be mafia. Sometimes inactivity (not posting much) helps the mafia because it keeps suspicion off of them. However it can also draw suspicion towards you. Be careful with every post.

Accusations - Someone made a stupid mistake so you should capitalize on it and get that person lynched! Not always a good idea because if everyone else realizes that it was just a mistake they might get suspicious of you for pressuring everyone to lynch someone who just made an obvious error.

Lying - self explanatory

Bandwagoning - A player gets one vote then both mafia members vote for the person so now he has three votes and is one away from being lynched.

Hammering - Being the one to kill the enemy especially if there's no real reason to do so. Get in before the end and allow someone else to make the final decision.

Voting without a reason - Make sure you don't just randomly vote for someone without saying anything. Make your vote then explain why you are voting that way. Have a reason for everything you do and make sure the reason makes sense. This allows you to appear as a legit townie.

Saying you are mafia - as stupid as it sounds sometimes people admit it before they are lynched. Also after you are lynched share no information because you could be hurting your teammate.

Agreeing on everything - disagree and disagree on the forum so everyone can see you disagree. Don't ever appear to always agree with each other. Convince each other of things on the forums.

Also on Voting without a reason - you can vote on someone randomly in the beginning just say "to start out the game" "to get the ball rolling" You can even make a joke of it at first. Just beware of doing it after the beginning. You will be found out as mafia. So again have a reason even if that reason is "just a random choice using a random number generator"

in role games it's best to pick the player who is the biggest threat to your team based first upon the role then upon players skill.

You can choose to post a lot, you can choose to post very little. Take advice from above ^^ for how not to be caught as a mafia member. And basically you want the townies to lynch themselves. That's your primary goal. The townies think you are all townies.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 10:36:35 PM
Bluesteel's Actions

1. Role was amended to three night phases in order to convert.

NP 1 - convert pcp
NP 2 - Convert rogue
NP 3 - Convert Mongeese (thought rogue would be lynched)
NP 4 - Convert Mongeese
NP 5 - Convert Mongeese
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 10:38:27 PM
HatedeatH's actions

NP 1 - Investigate Superboy777 (godfather) - Result Innocent
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 10:40:10 PM
popculturepooka's actions:

NP 1 - Choose not to use role
NP 2 - Kill Rogue
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 10:40:55 PM
Korashk's role actions:

NP 1 - Recruit annhasle
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 10:41:06 PM
I think that if Don Quixote were offered the chance to join an army, he'd gladly join with no regrets. He does think that he's a knight, after all.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 10:42:48 PM
At 1/30/2011 10:41:06 PM, mongeese wrote:
I think that if Don Quixote were offered the chance to join an army, he'd gladly join with no regrets. He does think that he's a knight, after all.

Not to mention that by recruiting you, we gave you a win, lol.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 10:43:12 PM
M.Torres's actions

NP1 - "Okay, I'll explain my thoughts.

I do not believe the Sherlock Holmes role is true (seems WAY too obvious of you).

So I think either Atticus Finch is Cop (being a lawyer).

Or Holden Caulfield is Cop (since in the novel, he knows "the phonies").

For that reason I force Caulfield on Holmes. (lol)"

NP 2 - Forced Rogue to investigate annhasle
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 10:45:56 PM
Paradigm Lost's Role Actions

NP 1 - Chose not to use role
NP 2 - Chose not to use role
NP 3 - Chose not to use role
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 10:47:50 PM
Rogue's Actions:

1. Persuaded to investigate hatedeath - Phoney
2. Persuaded to investigate annhasle - Phoney
3. Investigated self - Phoney
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 10:50:00 PM
At 1/30/2011 10:47:50 PM, askbob wrote:
Rogue's Actions:

1. Persuaded to investigate hatedeath - Phoney
2. Persuaded to investigate annhasle - Phoney
3. Investigated self - Phoney

That's a tough role to deal with. The best way to do it, is to investigate yourself, as done. It pretty much makes you a vanilla, but at least you know that your power is meaningless so you don't get other innocents, and yourself killed in the process.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 10:50:06 PM
nonentity's actions:

1. Wasn't online plus i made the screwup of not waiting until she went online to get her action

2. Chose not to use her role

3. Hacked popculturepooka preventing his action to kill rogue

4. Chose not to use her role
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 10:51:28 PM
At 1/30/2011 10:36:35 PM, askbob wrote:
Bluesteel's Actions

1. Role was amended to three night phases in order to convert.

NP 1 - Convert rogue
NP 2 - Convert Mongeese (thought rogue would be lynched)
NP 3 - Convert Mongeese
NP 4 - Convert Mongeese

fix'd - there was no DP5 or NP5

You're welcome mongeese - guess this means you won.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 10:52:28 PM
askbob

Since when does the elimination of a powerful townie role help the town?

M.Torres

I have no effective use of my power. I cannot guarantee I can help the Town. If anything, my "powerful" role will result in a mistake as well if I target all the wrong people.

askbob

Everyone faces suspicion and you know that mafia are clearly in the game and they clearly want to lynch townies. Voting to lynch yourself furthers this goal. Only noobs vote for themselves. The only people who vote for themselves who are good players are jesters and they do this on the last vote or a cult leader (but you haven't learned this role yet)

If you cannot pursue the game and need a replacement just tell me. Do further the loss of your own team through some odd sense of responsibility. You are playing this game town. When the town loses a townie they take a step closer to losing.

All roles can hurt the town if they are used incorrectly besides the cop and a few other investigative roles. With that said mafia is a game of perception and a game of taking chances and risks.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 10:57:01 PM
At 1/30/2011 10:50:06 PM, askbob wrote:
nonentity's actions:

1. Wasn't online plus i made the screwup of not waiting until she went online to get her action

2. Chose not to use her role

3. Hacked popculturepooka preventing his action to kill rogue

4. Chose not to use her role

That was perfect! We were slightly nervous about someone else coming forward and saying "no I was role blocked." In which case, we were planning on me pulling a miscount jester (I vote the 4th vote for myself, thinking that it was the 5th).

But either way, even if I was lynched, unless non-entity role blocked bluesteel, we would have had the conversion and night kill to get the win.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 11:06:54 PM
Bluesteel - "lolz - that would just be toying with them, but would be hilarious. Isn't there a parable or something though about underestimating your opponent . . . tortoise and the hare?"

OreEle - "hat never really happened, the reality is that the race was in Louisiana and that turtle, being focused on the race, didn't see the people and got caught and turned into soup.

The real moral, is to not be dead focused on the finish that you forget about everything else."

Bluesteel - "lol, I'm impressed by your ability to turn children's parables to suit your own ends"
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 11:08:14 PM
At 1/30/2011 10:52:28 PM, askbob wrote:
askbob

Since when does the elimination of a powerful townie role help the town?

M.Torres

I have no effective use of my power. I cannot guarantee I can help the Town. If anything, my "powerful" role will result in a mistake as well if I target all the wrong people.

Had you targeted me, M.Torres, you would have essentially role-blocked me, regardless of who you chose to use my power on, since my conversion count would have started over again and I wouldn't have known who to use it on a second time (unless you told me who you targeted). Your power was still extremely useful.

askbob

Everyone faces suspicion and you know that mafia are clearly in the game and they clearly want to lynch townies. Voting to lynch yourself furthers this goal.

Retrospective: the people accusing you are mafia - don't give in to them.

Only noobs vote for themselves. The only people who vote for themselves who are good players are jesters and they do this on the last vote or a cult leader (but you haven't learned this role yet)

If you cannot pursue the game and need a replacement just tell me. Do further the loss of your own team through some odd sense of responsibility. You are playing this game town. When the town loses a townie they take a step closer to losing.

All roles can hurt the town if they are used incorrectly besides the cop and a few other investigative roles. With that said mafia is a game of perception and a game of taking chances and risks.

It's ironic that admitting to getting this advice is what got M.Torres lynched. When I'm town, I decided that I'll lie or withhold the truth if the truth is so outrageous that it might cast suspicion on me. Sometimes the truth is more absurd than a lie.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 11:14:33 PM
At 1/30/2011 11:06:54 PM, OreEle wrote:
Bluesteel - "lolz - that would just be toying with them, but would be hilarious. Isn't there a parable or something though about underestimating your opponent . . . tortoise and the hare?"

OreEle - "hat never really happened, the reality is that the race was in Louisiana and that turtle, being focused on the race, didn't see the people and got caught and turned into soup.

The real moral, is to not be dead focused on the finish that you forget about everything else."

Bluesteel - "lol, I'm impressed by your ability to turn children's parables to suit your own ends"

lol, that story was really funny. I forget what we were talking about at the time though.

Sorry townies... this game must have been really frustrating for you guys :/
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 11:24:52 PM
fyi, I had put this list of fake character claims together for Freeman (since to mafia it seemed clear that we were all monsters and Freeman was getting pressured really hard at the time), but OreEle replaced him and claimed Frankenstein before he had a chance to check the PM...

Odysseus
Captain Ahab (Moby Dick)
King Arthur
The Count of Monte Cristo (I think this will be counter-claimed though), but not sure
Philip Pirrip (Great Expectations)

I guess it was harder though from town's perspective to know that OreEle's claim was mafia, since you didn't know my or Superboy's real characters.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 11:28:21 PM
At 1/30/2011 11:14:33 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 1/30/2011 11:06:54 PM, OreEle wrote:

lol, that story was really funny. I forget what we were talking about at the time though.

Sorry townies... this game must have been really frustrating for you guys :/

We were talking about me wanting to mess with the town more, and you just wanting to get the win.

I think that a tip for anyone that is not sure about how to be a good mafia player (a member of the mafia), is that you have to play as if you are town. If one of your mafia brothers says something that would raise suspicion to you if you were town, then you need to poke and prod at it as if you were town.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 11:39:40 PM
Ranking - Based on players perception of mafia players, use of role, activity, etc.

1st - Bluesteel - Led and directed the towns actions by starting many of the lynches. Remained under the radar and made a good role choice in picking a townie who was unlikely to be killed but also unlikely to be protected (had their been a doctor) Did a great job. Early on when M.Torres picked up on his inactivity, he swiftly changed this and participated more which resulted in swaying the town to do his bidding. No one even asked for a role claim until the last day phase which after seeing all the roles and names he could easily give one that made sense

2nd - OreEle - He was bluesteels right hand guiding the town away by sometimes presenting an alternative opinion. He ranks second for his role claim of Frankenstein and reviver which should have been blatantly obvious to anyone with half a brain. However by some act of fate no one questioned why he never revived anyone until the end.

3rd - Superboy777 - Didn't make any screwups, hid in the background after being confirmed, gave the town no help at all and essentially lurked because he could Didn't make any screwups that could have caused his lynching

4th - M.Torres - While he voted for himself instead of asking for a replacement and pretty much allowed himself to be killed, he was the first one to recognize both bluesteel and OreEle as mafia players. He has potential as he did in the previous games to be a decent player, but he somehow manages to consistently screw it up. His last instinct before he was lynched was to persuade OreEle to revive a townie which would have worked and put the townies in a great position. His higher rank was due to his last instincts as a townie rather than his idiocy in voting for himself and not defending himself when he was being lynched.

5th - Rogue - Being given a pretty hard role she did a pretty good job in surviving, realizing what her role was, and not getting lynched upon being the catalyst for lynching the cop. She understood the rationale for her choice but unfortunately not soon enough to save the doctor. Past her surviving and dealing with her hard role, she didn't really contribute much else in terms of finding out who the mafia was. She remained suspicious of the musketeers despite the leader being a townie.

6th - nonentity - Didn't have a huge participation rate and didn't really call out the mafia until the end when it was apparent that OreEle was lying. Unfortunate as last game she was the one to identify the mafia and led the town. In terms of her role power she made one good move by stopping D'artagnan although her choice was more in disbelief of his role rather than preventing him from killing rogue

7th - Annhasle - Didn't really participate much or provide any insightful analysis that I was aware of. Had no role power but didn't have an independent opinion in regards to who the mafia was.

8th - mongeese/Sportsguru - Were mainly inactive and gave no help to the town. Confirmed that they were townie by use of their role but that was basically it. Nothing insightful realy at all. Sportsguru in the beginning called bull on OreEle's claim but possibly because of the dialect he was ignored (i think this is accurate)

9th - Timbeech - As the game first started tim seemed to make wild accusations on many players that led everyone to assume that he was either the jester or so noob that he could not possibly be mafia. While it prevented him from being lynched/killed by the mafia (who viewed him as an asset), it didn't help out the townies. Furthermore tim was on the bandwagon for every major townie lynch that occurred. He did recognize bluesteel as mafia on the last day phase, however he switched his vote mistakenly to nonentity which won the game for the mafia.

10th - Korashk - Advocated a mass claim on the first DP and somehow thought it would be difficult for mafia to make a fake claim which made no sense as there are hundreds upon hundreds of classic books.

"There are a lot of claims out there right now, 5 or 6 I think, that's almost half of the players. The longer that not everyone has claimed, the more time the mafia has to come up with believable claims. A mass claim makes it a lot harder for them to do this. Their claims will stick out more than those claiming their legitimate characters."

This ultimately led to the downfall of the townies as it was pretty apparent to the mafia which character was tied to which role. As a result the most powerful townie roles were systematically eliminated by the mafia.

11th - Paradigm_Lost - In terms of perceiving who was mafia and who was not he had no real skill and just jumped on bandwagons. He had no original thoughts of his own and likely didn't bother to read every post. He didn't utilize any of his role actions which cost the town majorly in the end. A user of either action would have prevented a mafia kill and at least would have allowed nonentity to decide the game (whether she would have blocked the vampire or not). Really just poor performance

Unranked Players:

Popculturepooka - Didn't do anything significant/participate enough to be judged adequately

HateDeath - Didn't really get enough of a chance to be judged
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 11:41:53 PM
Winnerz

1. bluesteel
2. OreEle
3. Superboy77

Losers:

Townies

I don't really include mongeese as it was at the end of the game and he didn't do anything to warrant being lumped with the mafia. Furthermore nonentity wasn't asked for her rolepower which may have blocked the conversion anyway.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 11:44:01 PM
At 1/30/2011 11:28:21 PM, OreEle wrote:

I think that a tip for anyone that is not sure about how to be a good mafia player (a member of the mafia), is that you have to play as if you are town. If one of your mafia brothers says something that would raise suspicion to you if you were town, then you need to poke and prod at it as if you were town.

This is exactly correct
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 11:55:26 PM
Things for people to take away:

1. There is never a rule based on past games:

"Askbob never did X in past games therefore he won't do it in this game"

I am apt to do whatever I please. Only the rules are for certain

2. No mafia game will give you the number of mafia, only in beginner games will this sometimes happen.

3. mafia will never be given advice, this is done by me for beginners

4. I will give advice just not game information

5. Only give your role action in a pm only ask questions to me in a pm

6. Remember that there are mafia members who are actively lying, don't bandwagon and do have independent thoughts

7. If you are mafia, act like a townie
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 11:55:26 PM
Thanks for all the games askbob. You've been an awesome mod! I learned a lot.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 12:08:52 AM
I would question whether Frankenstein was really that bad of a claim, since there were no other villain claims, there wasn't a whole lot to tie it to. And as seeing as there was no real doctor, that would have been the perfect claim (though we thought it was too likely to be CC'd) as it was suggested by another player.