Jump to topic:

Team Debates

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2011 8:43:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I remember a thread in which people expressed interest in team debating. I was thinking about possible ways to employ this and came up with a few ideas.

1. Players sign-up, we elect captains and hold a draft-like selection process to determine teams. Matches are played by individuals from each team debating one another, and the winning team is the one with the most individual wins. There would be a bracket process and it'd essentially be a mini tournament until there was a last team standing.

2. We could pick teams the same way (or just create them on our own) and work on debates as a team. In other words the team would collectively write the debate and cooperate together. The captain would submit the debate under their username but it would be counted as a team effort. Of course the difference to this is that there is no way to determine individual participation...

With the tournament idea, I came up with a way for there to actually be a team debate round. However, there would be a lot more focus on individual vs. individual (and other strategy -- but more about the details later). Before I got into the details, would anyone actually be interested in this or was this just a fleeting forum suggestion?
President of DDO
ASB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2011 8:52:26 PM
At 2/7/2011 8:43:19 PM, theLwerd wrote:
I remember a thread in which people expressed interest in team debating. I was thinking about possible ways to employ this and came up with a few ideas.

1. Players sign-up, we elect captains and hold a draft-like selection process to determine teams. Matches are played by individuals from each team debating one another, and the winning team is the one with the most individual wins. There would be a bracket process and it'd essentially be a mini tournament until there was a last team standing.

2. We could pick teams the same way (or just create them on our own) and work on debates as a team. In other words the team would collectively write the debate and cooperate together. The captain would submit the debate under their username but it would be counted as a team effort. Of course the difference to this is that there is no way to determine individual participation...

With the tournament idea, I came up with a way for there to actually be a team debate round. However, there would be a lot more focus on individual vs. individual (and other strategy -- but more about the details later). Before I got into the details, would anyone actually be interested in this or was this just a fleeting forum suggestion?

I got it kind of like team spades
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2011 10:33:38 PM
At 2/7/2011 10:21:40 PM, annhasle wrote:
I'd definitely be interested!

Seconded.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2011 3:50:26 AM
Or ask mods to allow the creation of team accounts where IP checks won't result in bans. That way teams can login to the account as needed.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2011 5:06:40 AM
At 2/8/2011 3:50:26 AM, Puck wrote:
Or ask mods to allow the creation of team accounts where IP checks won't result in bans. That way teams can login to the account as needed.

Better yet, create a team-debate format.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2011 8:27:19 AM

Yeah, but that would essentially pose the same problem: not being able to determine individual participation. For instance if I were on a team with you, ann and Freedo, and we all could log into the team account (which seems like a lot of unnecessary work for Juggle... I mean they're better than Phil but c'mon lol), then how do we know say Freedo didn't write the entire debate? Having someone submit the debate as their own but working together in a PM is essentially the same thing just done a lot easier imo.
President of DDO
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2011 8:59:35 AM
At 2/8/2011 8:27:19 AM, theLwerd wrote:

Yeah, but that would essentially pose the same problem: not being able to determine individual participation. For instance if I were on a team with you, ann and Freedo, and we all could log into the team account (which seems like a lot of unnecessary work for Juggle... I mean they're better than Phil but c'mon lol), then how do we know say Freedo didn't write the entire debate? Having someone submit the debate as their own but working together in a PM is essentially the same thing just done a lot easier imo.

I'd like this too, but i think you'd need to start with team captains, it's tough to have it uncoordinated, and yeah the problems would be as you mention.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2011 9:15:41 AM
At 2/8/2011 8:59:35 AM, innomen wrote:
I'd like this too, but i think you'd need to start with team captains, it's tough to have it uncoordinated, and yeah the problems would be as you mention.

Well there were two ideas I mentioned --

1. Have people form groups themselves (say we tell people to form groups of 5) and choose their own captain, or

2. Hold sign-ups and elect team captains. For instance after 25 people sign up for 5 groups of 5, we could elect the top 5. Essentially the idea would be to vote the "best debaters" captains, so to ensure there aren't stacked teams and to integrate teams. Personally I don't care ether way...
President of DDO
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2011 11:16:16 AM
what if to solve the problem you mention of not knowing if just one person is actually doing all the work you have the team debate take up 2 debates and just link them to each other. for example lets say FREEDO and Geo were one team debateing against God for example and I and Jharry were the opposition. Jharry could start a debate with FREEDO and I make one with Geo. they would have the same title exept one would have a suffix like 'part 2' attached to it. after Jharry and FREEDO make a round one argument they leave a link to Geo and my debate and our round one simply counts as the round 2 of the whole team debate. then at the end of our arguments we link back to the first debate? that way voters could even vote to show if they thought certain team members did poorly and others good if they thought Geo made excellent cases and won the debate for the team but FREEDO did poorly, they could vote in favor of Geo end of the debate and against FREEDO's half, or vise versa if they think the other way around. cause there is two debates to vote on it can affect the individual members percentiles seperately.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2011 11:26:22 AM
At 2/8/2011 11:16:16 AM, Marauder wrote:
what if to solve the problem you mention of not knowing if just one person is actually doing all the work you have the team debate take up 2 debates and just link them to each other.

This seems like a lot of work for Juggle though. I'm sure in the future, formatting for team debates could be a really cool feature but for now they're just getting their feet wet. DDO is still kinda small and waiting for this update seems like a long-shot.

Also, if the team is working together then it makes no difference who submits it. That's why the options were (a) team debates, so that it's expected everyone contributes -- and how the teams divvy up responsibility is up to them, or (b) individual debates where teams can strategize together beforehand -- more about details and rules later -- but when it comes to the actual debate, it's entirely the individual who is responsible so they submit the debate as their own and a team's points is made up of collective individual points.
President of DDO
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2011 12:54:05 PM
At 2/8/2011 11:27:48 AM, Mirza wrote:
It would be funny if the debaters started contradicting their team members.

Hehehe
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ