Jump to topic:

Pipe Smoking: The Green Way to Smoke?

Extremely-Far-Right
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 9:04:03 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Personally, I think that since so many people are addicted to tobacco and kids see an inticing factor of it being "cool" I think the world should switch to pipes. They are the least hazardous to your health, and the are the most "green" way to smoke, if you are going to smoke at all. Since you don't throw it away and keep refilling it, it's the ideal solution! I want to see what you all think.
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 9:30:08 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org...

Even better.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 9:34:59 PM
At 2/21/2011 9:04:03 PM, Extremely-Far-Right wrote:
Personally, I think that since so many people are addicted to tobacco and kids see an inticing factor of it being "cool" I think the world should switch to pipes. They are the least hazardous to your health, and the are the most "green" way to smoke, if you are going to smoke at all. Since you don't throw it away and keep refilling it, it's the ideal solution! I want to see what you all think.

Vaporizers are the best devices to use if you are going to smoke. However, they are a bit pricey and thus I don't own one :( I don't smoke tobacco though. Also it should be noted that kids only think smoking is "cool" because they associate it with freedom and being older. Being older is cool, duh.
President of DDO
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 9:36:40 PM
At 2/21/2011 9:30:08 PM, mongoose wrote:

Even better.

Brilliant! Where do they sell those?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 9:39:24 PM
At 2/21/2011 9:36:40 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Even better.

Brilliant! Where do they sell those?

The internet.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 5:23:23 AM

Even better.:

I thought it was a great idea too, but as it turns out is just as harmful in other ways.

http://www.medicinenet.com...
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 5:26:01 AM
E-Cig seems like a great idea for those who must smoke as there wouldn't be the problem of second-hand smoke, but the cigerette itself still has all the same harmful chemicals. However, only the person directly smoking it would be inhaling them.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 5:41:20 AM
At 2/22/2011 5:23:23 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

Even better.:

I thought it was a great idea too, but as it turns out is just as harmful in other ways.

Their reasons for why it was harmful was very vague.

"The devices emitted 'tobacco-specific impurities suspected of being harmful to humans.'"

WTF? lol

"In our product you have nicotine or no nicotine, PEG, and some flavoring. In cigarettes you have nicotine, PEG, and 4,000 chemicals and 43 carcinogens," Youngblood last April told WebMD."

Looks like it's a lot better alternative than cigarettes.

Also, the primary concern was that the device could be a gateway that gets people hooked on real cigarettes which is pretty weak IMO.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Sam_Lowry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 10:35:55 AM
At 2/22/2011 5:23:23 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

Even better.:

This basically showed that the quality control at the manufacturers was poor, not that they are "just as harmful" as burned tobacco. The actual test results are nowhere near as bad as the FDA implies. While you effectively eliminate the worst of the lung risks, you still get cardiovascular problems due to the nicotine, although they may not be as bad.
Extremely-Far-Right
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2011 11:14:10 AM
Interesting...Electronic Cigarette...what I meant was, if you were to choose between cigarettes, cigars, or other forms of actually smoking tobacco leaves and/or simular, wouldn't smoking a pipe be the best in that way?
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2011 1:47:00 PM
Pipe smoking is the green way to smoke.

It just depends on what it is you are smoking in the pipe.

Big trees catch the wind
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Extremely-Far-Right
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2011 11:21:04 AM
At 2/24/2011 1:47:00 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Pipe smoking is the green way to smoke.

It just depends on what it is you are smoking in the pipe.

Big trees catch the wind

I'm guessing tobacco, what would one usually smoke in a pipe?
Sam_Lowry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2011 1:21:59 PM
At 2/25/2011 11:21:04 AM, Extremely-Far-Right wrote:

Something more fun and less harmful than tobbacco.
Extremely-Far-Right
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2011 11:31:53 PM
At 2/25/2011 1:21:59 PM, Sam_Lowry wrote:
At 2/25/2011 11:21:04 AM, Extremely-Far-Right wrote:

Something more fun and less harmful than tobbacco.

Sigh*...
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2011 7:03:11 AM
I like a bong, if that's what you're talking about...
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Caramel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2011 10:06:05 PM
At 2/26/2011 7:03:11 AM, tvellalott wrote:
I like a bong, if that's what you're talking about...

I'm trying to go exclusively vaporizer, but it's difficult because that means I can only smoke at home. The vaporizer is also more work, although it's less work overall than, say, making a bowl of ramen noodles so I guess I'm just lazy.
no comment
ciaraa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2011 4:37:42 AM
Yes you are right. pipe smoking is far better then smoking simple cigarettes or chewing tobacco directly . pipe smoking also don't effect on health like chewing tobacco directly or simple smoking. so that's why today many people started pipe smoking. i also use glass pipes for tobacco smoking.

thanks!!

Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2011 5:12:46 PM
Pipes are good, but they require a lot of fussing: tamping, dumping, cleaning. Big stinky cigars are more convenient. The tobacco is fermented, so it is more acrid than cigarette tobacco. Cigar wrappers are natural tobacco leaf. Neither pipes nor cigars are usually inhaled, so they are much safer than cigarettes, but they pose some risk of mouth and throat cancer.

In order to prove cigar smoking is as dangerous as cigarettes, health types found some Eastern Europeans who inhale cigars starting at age 10 and did their study on them.

I quit pipe and cigar smoking because health insurance premiums go up if you say "yes" to the one question "Do you smoke?"

I don't believe marijuana is less hazardous. Combustion products are not good.
seraine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2011 10:50:04 PM
At 6/8/2011 5:12:46 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
I quit pipe and cigar smoking because health insurance premiums go up if you say "yes" to the one question "Do you smoke?"

So it's not that hard to quit! Thank you Roy, you've inspired me.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2011 11:27:49 PM
Sarcasm or not, I found pipe and cigar smoking completely non-addictive. I didn't smoke when traveling, and some travel stints went for weeks. Not a problem.
Extremely-Far-Right
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2011 8:01:31 PM
At 7/10/2011 11:27:49 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
Sarcasm or not, I found pipe and cigar smoking completely non-addictive. I didn't smoke when traveling, and some travel stints went for weeks. Not a problem.

Interesting...I am thinking of starting to smoke a pipe whenever I hit 18 years old, which will be in a couple of days.

I don't want to smoke so much so that I get addicted, but enough so that people recognize that I smoke a pipe and have the elegant "19th century gentleman look" about me.

What pace would you recommend?

I am personally thinking about only smoking at celebratory events or at times of rejoicing.

I don't think smoking a pipe at a pace like that would get me addicted, but it seems from your point of view that it is non-addictive to a certain extent.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2011 9:55:50 PM
You're still going to be at risk of mouth cancer even if you don't inhale... My father's friend got cancer in his jaw. The doctors took apart his jaw to get at it ad ended up installing screws in his face. He said that he would rather have let the cancer kill him than to go through what the doctors did to purge the cancer, with the chemo to his face and such. Good luck with your pipe!
Rob
Extremely-Far-Right
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2011 11:06:41 PM
At 7/13/2011 9:55:50 PM, Lasagna wrote:
You're still going to be at risk of mouth cancer even if you don't inhale... My father's friend got cancer in his jaw. The doctors took apart his jaw to get at it ad ended up installing screws in his face. He said that he would rather have let the cancer kill him than to go through what the doctors did to purge the cancer, with the chemo to his face and such. Good luck with your pipe!

Yes, but I wont be getting mouth cancer at the rate that I will be smoking it.