Jump to topic:

Should we Legalize marijauana?

denisemarie323
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 5:14:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Marijuana should not be legalized. Marijuana is the most commonly abused illegal drug in the U.S. and around the world. Those who support its legalization, for medical or for general use, fail to recognize that the greatest costs of marijuana are not related to its prohibition; they are the costs resulting from marijuana use itself.

The effects of marijuana are harmful and often lead to other drugs. If we legalize marijuana we will be opening up the gateway of drugs to impressionable teens. The legalization will increase the chances of the drugs falling into teens hands. Why would we want to make it easier to obtain such harmful drugs? Legalizing marijuana is not going to stop the illegal selling of the drug. For example Gambling was made legal and is now taxed, but that has not stopped illegal gambling. Legalization of marijuana is just going to set us up for illegal marijuana trafficing to avoid taxes.

Also the legalization of marijuana will increase the number of people using the drug in the united states. The numbers may not increase quickly but like tobacco and alcohol, the numbers of people with addiction to marijuana will increase. How in the world could people think that legalizing a harmful drug is a good idea, lets risk everyones health and lives to make a few extra bucks. Why dont we stop paying some people like stock brockers so much if we are in such dire need for money.

Also After doing some research about the effects of marijuana i found that there are over 10,000 scientific studies that prove marijuana is a harmful addictive drug. There is not one reliable study that demonstrates marijuana has any medical value. Marijuana is an unstable mixture of more than 425 chemicals that convert to thousands when smoked. Many of these chemicals are toxic, psychoactive chemicals which are largely unstudied and appear in uncontrolled strengths.
The harmful consequences of smoking marijuana include, but are not limited to the following: premature cancer, addiction, coordination and perception impairment, a number of mental disorders including depression, hostility and increased aggresiveness, general apathy, memory loss, reproductive disabilities, and impairment to the immune system.

Another point is if marijuana is legalized, whos to say people wont get bored of it and start experimenting with other drugs once the marijuana stops giving them a high. When everyones tolerance is up because getting pot is so easy, the gateway is open. Now someone tell me why in the world legalizing marijuana is the smartest decision for the U.S cause frankly I don't see much benefits to killing our own people.
Sam_Lowry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 1:38:09 PM
At 3/1/2011 5:14:48 PM, denisemarie323 wrote:
The effects of marijuana are harmful and often lead to other drugs. If we legalize marijuana we will be opening up the gateway of drugs to impressionable teens. The legalization will increase the chances of the drugs falling into teens hands. Why would we want to make it easier to obtain such harmful drugs? Legalizing marijuana is not going to stop the illegal selling of the drug. For example Gambling was made legal and is now taxed, but that has not stopped illegal gambling. Legalization of marijuana is just going to set us up for illegal marijuana trafficing to avoid taxes.

Decriminalization has lead to drops in the rates of all hard drug use. Obviously if you tax marijuana an obscene amount there will be a black market. However it will not be a black market run by drug cartels, it will be a market much closer to the current black market for tax free cigarettes. If taxation would cause such problems, the obvious answer is to not tax it that much.

http://www.cato.org...
http://www.mapinc.org...
http://homes.chass.utoronto.ca...
http://www.nap.edu...

Also the legalization of marijuana will increase the number of people using the drug in the united states. The numbers may not increase quickly but like tobacco and alcohol, the numbers of people with addiction to marijuana will increase. How in the world could people think that legalizing a harmful drug is a good idea, lets risk everyones health and lives to make a few extra bucks. Why dont we stop paying some people like stock brockers so much if we are in such dire need for money.

Even if it were the case, there is literally no reason to think that the effect will be additive to current drug problems. There is ample evidence that marijuana is commonly use as a substitute for more harmful drugs such as alcohol and painkillers. In case you do not remember, we were able to decrease tobacco consumption by nearly 60% without making the drug illegal with public health education and restrictions on advertising.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...
http://www.harmreductionjournal.com...
http://www.mikuriya.com...
http://www.impacteen.org...

Also After doing some research about the effects of marijuana i found that there are over 10,000 scientific studies that prove marijuana is a harmful addictive drug. There is not one reliable study that demonstrates marijuana has any medical value. Marijuana is an unstable mixture of more than 425 chemicals that convert to thousands when smoked. Many of these chemicals are toxic, psychoactive chemicals which are largely unstudied and appear in uncontrolled strengths.

Marijuana users do not have mortality rates significantly different from non users, and are no more likely to be afflicted with diseases like lung cancer.

http://www.ukcia.org...
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

The harmful consequences of smoking marijuana include, but are not limited to the following: premature cancer, addiction, coordination and perception impairment, a number of mental disorders including depression, hostility and increased aggresiveness, general apathy, memory loss, reproductive disabilities, and impairment to the immune system.

No sources? Unsurprising.

Another point is if marijuana is legalized, whos to say people wont get bored of it and start experimenting with other drugs once the marijuana stops giving them a high. When everyones tolerance is up because getting pot is so easy, the gateway is open. Now someone tell me why in the world legalizing marijuana is the smartest decision for the U.S cause frankly I don't see much benefits to killing our own people.

Plenty of studies show that this is simply not the case. Marijuana is far more likely to be a terminus rather than a gateway. Marijuana does not stop getting you high even when you build a tolerance. The number of people who even smoke enough to build a significant tolerance is minuscule. We didn't even discover that marijuana was even capable of causing a tolerance until relatively recently because of this. The irony of your argument is that even if people increase their marijuana use due to legalization (which there is little to no evidence of), it's likely that the positive effects of substituting away from alcohol will reduce drunk driving enough to completely outweigh any other theoretical negative effect you could come up with.

And really, even if the gateway theory was true, it wouldn't make much of a difference. On a whole casual drug use is basically harmless to society when corrected for the confounding factors of prohibition.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 1:43:05 PM
Instead of addressing your argument...
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 2:08:12 PM
I'm with cosmic on this one. Sam has already dismantled the reactionary and uninformed opinions of the OP. Now let's just hijack the thread with ganja tunes.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 2:18:40 PM
Also After doing some research about the effects of marijuana i found that there are over 10,000 scientific studies

stopped being trolled here.

Good job though OP you almost won.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 2:33:14 PM
At 3/3/2011 2:18:40 PM, askbob wrote:
Also After doing some research about the effects of marijuana i found that there are over 10,000 scientific studies

stopped being trolled here.

Good job though OP you almost won.

Agreed.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 2:36:39 PM
At 3/3/2011 2:34:38 PM, badger wrote:
i hate it so much i'mma set fire to it right now...and inhale it!

actually no wait, that was cos i love it..
signature
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 2:49:12 PM
Why is marijuana a gateway drug, but cigarettes are not?

Yeah you know, we should make bridges illegal because it may lead to people jumping off them!

Let's outlaw cars too because it may lead impressionable teens to get drunk and crash!
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Sam_Lowry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 3:08:14 PM
At 3/3/2011 2:49:12 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Why is marijuana a gateway drug, but cigarettes are not?

Tobacco use is actually a better predictor of (non marijuana) illicit drug use than marijuana is.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 3:11:25 PM
Another point is if marijuana is legalized, whos to say people wont get bored of it and start experimenting with other drugs once the marijuana stops giving them a high.

We should not drive cars. If driving cars were legal, whos to say people wont get bored of it and start experimenting by running people over once driving stops giving them a high.

We should not drive cars. If driving cars were legal, whos to say people wont get bored of it and start experimenting with higher speeds once driving the speed limit stops giving them a high. Driving at high speeds is closely correlated with death.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 3:13:01 PM
I don't smoke pot, and probably won't even after it is legalized, but there really is no convincing argument to ban pot when alcohol and cigs are so abundant. People have a phobia about the dumbing down of America, but the way I see it, alcohol has done far more to raise the dropout rate of college freshman than pot. Besides, if people are stupid enough to abuse pot to the extreme, and they were restricted from obtaining said pot, there is nothing stopping them from taking pain pills and alcohol. Government needs to stop fighting people that want to be different. They also need to stop telling us what we want. Some people do not need all this extra crap, so stop trying to shove it down our throats. God I am ranting like badger sorry :(
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 3:15:06 PM
We should not have sex. If sex were legal, whos to say people wont get bored of it and start experimenting with raping people once sex stops giving them a high. Raping is not good.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 3:16:28 PM
At 3/3/2011 3:13:01 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
I don't smoke pot, and probably won't even after it is legalized, but there really is no convincing argument to ban pot when alcohol and cigs are so abundant. People have a phobia about the dumbing down of America, but the way I see it, alcohol has done far more to raise the dropout rate of college freshman than pot. Besides, if people are stupid enough to abuse pot to the extreme, and they were restricted from obtaining said pot, there is nothing stopping them from taking pain pills and alcohol. Government needs to stop fighting people that want to be different. They also need to stop telling us what we want. Some people do not need all this extra crap, so stop trying to shove it down our throats. God I am ranting like badger sorry :(

Badger doesn't rant. He makes a 3-4 word sentence, and then thinks of something later and quotes himself adding a few more words about 2-3 times.
j/s
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 3:25:46 PM
At 3/3/2011 3:11:25 PM, askbob wrote:
We should not drive cars. If driving cars were legal, whos to say people wont get bored of it and start experimenting with higher speeds once driving the speed limit stops giving them a high.

Dude, it can happen man, it can happen...
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 3:30:09 PM
At 3/3/2011 3:16:28 PM, lovelife wrote:
At 3/3/2011 3:13:01 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Badger doesn't rant. He makes a 3-4 word sentence, and then thinks of something later and quotes himself adding a few more words about 2-3 times.
j/s

you're creeping me out a small bit :)
signature
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 3:33:38 PM
Let's first legalize transfats. I miss popcorn with coconut oil.

I wonder if there are people that are okay with pot being legal, but are against transfats being legal, i'm guessing lots.
jmar8542
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 3:34:49 PM
At 3/3/2011 3:33:38 PM, innomen wrote:
Let's first legalize transfats. I miss popcorn with coconut oil.

I wonder if there are people that are okay with pot being legal, but are against transfats being legal, i'm guessing lots.

I'm not against that at all...nutrition labels are standard, and people can look at what's in they eat before they ingest it.
"Science is interesting, and if you don't agree, you can fvck off." - Richard Dawkins
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 3:35:02 PM
At 3/3/2011 3:34:16 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Strangers call me greyparrot
Friends call me grey
Enemies call me parrot

And those who glance at your name call you "gayparrot". 'Cause that's what it looks like. :P
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 3:36:19 PM
At 3/3/2011 3:35:02 PM, annhasle wrote:
Friends call me grey
Enemies call me parrot

And those who glance at your name call you "gayparrot". 'Cause that's what it looks like. :P

I can't discriminate the dyslexic homophobe sect. That just too conditional for current social parameters.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 3:36:34 PM
At 3/3/2011 3:35:02 PM, annhasle wrote:
Friends call me grey
Enemies call me parrot

And would that be so bad ;-)