Total Posts:24|Showing Posts:1-24
Jump to topic:

Munchies

innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 5:07:24 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I've been taking a med that has helped me a lot on one respect but has a side effect that is exactly like that of pot, i get the munchies like nobodies business. I start mindlessly eating food without really caring what it is and just cannot control myself.

I've gained weight, and i don't like it. I have a physical with my Dr. next month, and will bring this up, but i don't want to have to be removed from the med. I've checked it out on the internet and there are identical experiences, and one guy gained 115 Lbs!

So, those who use pot regularly and experience the munchies what do you do so you don't gain weight? I've been filling up on broccoli or salad and stuff, but i generally don't stop there, and won't stop until i hit some chocolate.

I don't know if there is a med to counter this side effect or not.
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2011 12:23:09 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Wish I could help, my munchies are no match for my metabolism. Not that I smoke all that often.
I would say if you could keep up with something like p90x or insanity i've seen it work wonders for people, that is people who didn't give up after 14 days.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2011 12:32:00 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
the only thing that ever even remotely helped me control my munchies was not keeping snack food around the house... it at least puts a little distance between me and the grazing... but it also helps that i don't have a car so its a bother to go out and buy junk food. also do you like dark chocolate? if you had a bit of that every once and again it wouldn't be as bad as regular chocolate calorie wise and its actually good for you. other than that, maybe exercise more if you can :/

but yeah, thats tough. weight creep is sucky. good luck
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2011 6:09:59 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/16/2011 12:23:09 AM, lewis20 wrote:
Wish I could help, my munchies are no match for my metabolism. Not that I smoke all that often.
I would say if you could keep up with something like p90x or insanity i've seen it work wonders for people, that is people who didn't give up after 14 days.

I don't know what that is. I'll google it.

Thanks Belle.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2011 6:41:17 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I presume you get enough sleep. If not, it makes you long for more and more food. On the med description you can read about the side-effects. Maybe increased appetite is one of them. I recommend drinking some green tea, which helps decreasing weight and balancing your metabolism. It should also help stabilizing your appetite.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2011 3:01:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/16/2011 6:41:17 AM, Mirza wrote:
I presume you get enough sleep. If not, it makes you long for more and more food. On the med description you can read about the side-effects. Maybe increased appetite is one of them. I recommend drinking some green tea, which helps decreasing weight and balancing your metabolism. It should also help stabilizing your appetite.

The med is to help me sleep, and it is by far the best med for this i have been on. I have chronic insomnia. However, when i take the med within an hour my appetite is out of control, and there isn't enough food in the house. I usually force myself to go to bed, but often it's too late. It is an irrational condition, because i am far from hungry, i just have a compulsion to eat.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2011 3:08:45 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Innomen - I feel you! Here are some of my personal favorite solutions/ substitutions...

1. Granola and Yogurt

Yoplait makes these desert flavored yogurts that are pretty bomb. My personal favorite flavor is Red Velvet, but they have Key Lime Pie, Boston Creme Pie, Triple Berry Torte and a whole bunch of other goodies. I usually mix a small handful of granola in there. This is a pretty healthy snack, and one I find particularly helpful because it satisfies my craving for sweetness sometimes. You can also eat it any time of day including the morning.

2. Fruit

A) I personally like grapes because you can snack on them like chips an they're easily transportable. They're also convenient (no prep work like peeling).

B) Another thing I like is putting sugar free or low fat Cool Whip (both of which are actually good) on strawberries.

C) Oatmeal is awesome for you but really bland... not with fruit though! Try bananas and walnuts one day or berries the next. I know oatmeal is an acquired taste, but if you happen to like it then this is good.

D) Apples. They're also convenient and easy to transport - plus you don't have to keep them refrigerated all day. I take them on the go, and they take awhile to eat which is good because it keeps you occupied. It's good you have to chew on them for awhile too. They're high in fiber which is another plus for both your digestive system and keeping you full. My fave kind of apples are the Pink ones... forget the exact name.

3. Smoothies

I keep a bag of mixed frozen fruit in the freezer, and mix in a few ice cubes with the fruit and some juice in the blender. It's delicious. The downside is that it can take you a bit to get the perfect consistency when you first start, and some people don't like the clean-up (blenders are a pain). The plus side is that these are actually really filling, so they're perfect if you're home or on the weekend or something. They're also refreshing to sip on in the Spring/Summer, and you could even throw in a tiny splash of liquor if you're feeling sassy :P

4. Special K Cereal

My favorite flavor is Cinnamon Pecan - so good! One serving (about a cup) with skim milk isn't bad at all.

5. Vegetables

I friggin love vegetables. If you're not the type to like cooking, buy a big bag of mixed frozen veggies (not with corn - they have no nutritional value). There's one I get called California Blend that has carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, string beans and peas. The absolute easiest way to cook this is by putting a tiny bit of olive oil in a skillet, and cook on high -- flavoring with some pepper (I watch my salt intake) and cooking for < 10 minutes. I need about 3 serving sizes to fill me up, but each serving is only about 30 calories -- and no fat, minimal carbs, etc. So with 90 calories I'm definitely full from this and it tastes pretty bangin too. Well I love vegetables anyway like I said. I have this for lunch all the time if I have no fresh veggies on me.

6. Instant Jello-O Sugar Free Pudding

All you need is skim milk and it takes like 5 minutes to make. I like butterscotch but they have other flavors like cheesecake, chocolate, vanilla, etc. This is another substitute for a sweet craving.

7. Beef Jerky

I'm personally not a fan, though I know my step-dad snacks on this a lot. He works out a bunch and is pretty weight-conscious. Its low in calories and carbs but has a lot of protein.
President of DDO
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2011 3:16:28 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/16/2011 3:08:45 PM, Danielle wrote:
Innomen - I feel you! Here are some of my personal favorite solutions/ substitutions...

1. Granola and Yogurt

Yoplait makes these desert flavored yogurts that are pretty bomb. My personal favorite flavor is Red Velvet, but they have Key Lime Pie, Boston Creme Pie, Triple Berry Torte and a whole bunch of other goodies. I usually mix a small handful of granola in there. This is a pretty healthy snack, and one I find particularly helpful because it satisfies my craving for sweetness sometimes. You can also eat it any time of day including the morning.

2. Fruit

A) I personally like grapes because you can snack on them like chips an they're easily transportable. They're also convenient (no prep work like peeling).

B) Another thing I like is putting sugar free or low fat Cool Whip (both of which are actually good) on strawberries.

C) Oatmeal is awesome for you but really bland... not with fruit though! Try bananas and walnuts one day or berries the next. I know oatmeal is an acquired taste, but if you happen to like it then this is good.

D) Apples. They're also convenient and easy to transport - plus you don't have to keep them refrigerated all day. I take them on the go, and they take awhile to eat which is good because it keeps you occupied. It's good you have to chew on them for awhile too. They're high in fiber which is another plus for both your digestive system and keeping you full. My fave kind of apples are the Pink ones... forget the exact name.

3. Smoothies

I keep a bag of mixed frozen fruit in the freezer, and mix in a few ice cubes with the fruit and some juice in the blender. It's delicious. The downside is that it can take you a bit to get the perfect consistency when you first start, and some people don't like the clean-up (blenders are a pain). The plus side is that these are actually really filling, so they're perfect if you're home or on the weekend or something. They're also refreshing to sip on in the Spring/Summer, and you could even throw in a tiny splash of liquor if you're feeling sassy :P

4. Special K Cereal

My favorite flavor is Cinnamon Pecan - so good! One serving (about a cup) with skim milk isn't bad at all.

5. Vegetables

I friggin love vegetables. If you're not the type to like cooking, buy a big bag of mixed frozen veggies (not with corn - they have no nutritional value). There's one I get called California Blend that has carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, string beans and peas. The absolute easiest way to cook this is by putting a tiny bit of olive oil in a skillet, and cook on high -- flavoring with some pepper (I watch my salt intake) and cooking for < 10 minutes. I need about 3 serving sizes to fill me up, but each serving is only about 30 calories -- and no fat, minimal carbs, etc. So with 90 calories I'm definitely full from this and it tastes pretty bangin too. Well I love vegetables anyway like I said. I have this for lunch all the time if I have no fresh veggies on me.

6. Instant Jello-O Sugar Free Pudding

All you need is skim milk and it takes like 5 minutes to make. I like butterscotch but they have other flavors like cheesecake, chocolate, vanilla, etc. This is another substitute for a sweet craving.

7. Beef Jerky

I'm personally not a fan, though I know my step-dad snacks on this a lot. He works out a bunch and is pretty weight-conscious. Its low in calories and carbs but has a lot of protein.

I was waiting for your response. You eat this stuff when you have the munchies after smoking? I can see going through the yogurt like nobodies business, but fruit - dunno. I crave carbs and chocolate, so i eat a lot of peanuts, dark chocolate chips , and dried cranberries. The problem is, i'm eating until i cannot get another thing inside me. It's really quite ridiculous, and a little embarrassing. I do the veggie thing, and eat lots and lots of them. I actually eat quite well, but just need to stop.

Thanks for that post, it was helpful.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2011 3:21:21 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/16/2011 3:18:11 PM, badger wrote:
eat alligator meat or bugs.

One would think you would have a lot of experience with this.

I'm also older than you guys so it's harder to keep the weight off.
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2011 3:25:26 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/16/2011 3:21:21 PM, innomen wrote:
At 3/16/2011 3:18:11 PM, badger wrote:
eat alligator meat or bugs.

One would think you would have a lot of experience with this.

unfortunately we've no alligators over here.. and bugs just don't look tasty. bear grylls tells me all these things. he's the man.


I'm also older than you guys so it's harder to keep the weight off.

how old is bear grylls?
signature
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2011 3:27:05 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/16/2011 3:25:26 PM, badger wrote:
At 3/16/2011 3:21:21 PM, innomen wrote:
At 3/16/2011 3:18:11 PM, badger wrote:
eat alligator meat or bugs.

One would think you would have a lot of experience with this.

unfortunately we've no alligators over here.. and bugs just don't look tasty. bear grylls tells me all these things. he's the man.


I'm also older than you guys so it's harder to keep the weight off.

how old is bear grylls?

Old, and getting older all the time.
Sieben
Posts: 2,736
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2011 4:37:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
If you get the munchies, go eat a chicken breast with all the fat cut off. There's virtually no way to gain fat by eating more protein.
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2011 4:49:21 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Great post by Danielle. I don't smoke but I eat a lot when I work out. I try to focus on eating healthy snacks (I eat nori seaweed straight out of the bag; I think of them as fishy chips lol). But don't beat yourself up if you cheat a bit and have a couple of pieces of chocolate :)
Amethist17
Posts: 2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2011 5:02:12 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
my sister was a pot head and would eat like crazy she also worked out a ton she weighed 98 pounds i could also nvr keep chocolate in the house advice dont keep it in ur home. if you dont have it you cant eat it.
muwahahaha.... I's purple
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2011 8:19:09 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/16/2011 3:16:28 PM, innomen wrote:
I was waiting for your response. You eat this stuff when you have the munchies after smoking?

Yes I do lol. Believe me I crave chocolate (or chips or something sweet), but due to how much and how often I get the munchies, I just can't afford to give in to those cravings all the time :/ It would be bad news.

I can see going through the yogurt like nobodies business, but fruit - dunno. I crave carbs and chocolate, so i eat a lot of peanuts, dark chocolate chips , and dried cranberries. The problem is, i'm eating until i cannot get another thing inside me. It's really quite ridiculous, and a little embarrassing. I do the veggie thing, and eat lots and lots of them. I actually eat quite well, but just need to stop.

The thing about the yogurt is that I put granola in there too, and it usually fills me up actually. If not then I just psyche myself out of it, telling myself I just ate and then setting another time for me to eat again.

The whole eating tiny portions bit every 2-3 hours also helps a lot and is good for your metabolism. I know it's a pain to keep on top of though, especially if you're working.

I hate snacking on peanuts because they are NEVER satisfying (filling) in my opinion.

Sieben is right about chicken. You can buy those salads in a bag, throw in some grilled chicken and voila. The plus side is that this is really filling and virtually calorie/fat free. The negative is that I'm not always in the mood for it and can get sick of this pretty quick.
President of DDO
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2011 3:12:26 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Wow, this is an old post...

If you still need help inno, my advice is that the one time I had the most control over munchies was when I was tracking my calories as part of my work-out routine. You don't even need to work out - just figure out your BMR and how many calories you can eat in a day without gaining weight (or try to come in 200-400 calories under if you want to lose weight). When you're tracking calories, it really feels like cheating when you've set a clear goal for yourself for the day, and it would prevent me from eating, even if I really wanted to. But telling yourself that you can eat as much yogurt as you want, in my experience, is usually a slippery slope from one yogurt, to two, to chocolate, etc. It's a psychological battle that's easier to win if you've set a clear goal for yourself for the day.

And personally, I always had more trouble with drunk munchies than other.

I never tried this last tip, but I saw this one diet once where you eat a spoonful of olive oil between meals. It supposedly kills your appetite. I definitely believe it.

Other tips: drink lots of water; decreases appetite.

Lastly, don't eat a carb-heavy dinner. It spikes your blood sugar, and when your blood sugar spikes up, it hits an equally large low. Eating no carbs after 6pm might help.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Alex
Posts: 2,058
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2011 1:39:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Take 5-htp. It's a natural pill that stimulates your production of Serotonin. It helps with mood, sleep patterns and also helps regulate your appetite. It costs about 14 dollars for 50 pills and you can pick it up at most stores such as rite aid, GNC etc. It really helps.
Why kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?