Jump to topic:

Protein Supplements

PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 2:45:26 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I've always been skeptical of the protein shake craze, but I've tried a regimen on them to give them a fighting chance. I don't think there is any merit to them at all, and every person I see using them shows no discernible change that couldn't simply attributing to working out and eating a moderately healthy diet. For one thing, just one scoop is often 250 + calories which, extrapolating, is like a 2.5 mile run in terms of burning that off. Protein shakes make you fat. Bottom line.

Some view it as an indispensable part of a work out, but consider the source! The supplement market is a billion dollar industry who is obviously invested in propagating myths.

I for one am skeptical.

Your thoughts?
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 2:48:24 PM
I think they cost too much, even if they did work.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 3:30:17 PM
At 4/26/2011 2:45:26 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
I've always been skeptical of the protein shake craze, but I've tried a regimen on them to give them a fighting chance. I don't think there is any merit to them at all, and every person I see using them shows no discernible change that couldn't simply attributing to working out and eating a moderately healthy diet. For one thing, just one scoop is often 250 + calories which, extrapolating, is like a 2.5 mile run in terms of burning that off. Protein shakes make you fat. Bottom line.

Some view it as an indispensable part of a work out, but consider the source! The supplement market is a billion dollar industry who is obviously invested in propagating myths.

I for one am skeptical.

Your thoughts?

There is a big difference between Carbs, Protiens, and Fat and how the work with your body.

1 calorie =/= 1 calorie

You will get very different results if you have a 3,000 calorie high-protien diet, and if you have a 3,000 calorie high-fat diet.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 4:28:18 PM
There is a big difference between Carbs, Protiens, and Fat and how the work with your body.

1 calorie =/= 1 calorie

You will get very different results if you have a 3,000 calorie high-protien diet, and if you have a 3,000 calorie high-fat diet.:

A calorie is a calorie is a calorie. That's like saying a pound is not the same thing as a pound. Well, yes it is. The problem with high fat is that you're not getting essential nutrients and it's clogging your arteries. Secondly, the problem isn't the protein itself. It is incontrovertible that protein is an essential nutrient. The problem is the additives, like 6 pounds of sugar they add to make it not taste like chalk.

Thirdly, the protein in this form is difficult to digest.

And lastly, independent studies have concluded that 15 out of 15 of the protein shakes studied have high levels of heavy metals such as cadmium, arsenic, and led.

You should get your protein.... but from whole foods.

And if that's not enough of a deterrence, the price should be.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 5:29:33 PM

I for one am skeptical.

Your thoughts?

When I was lifting I was told to get about 200 grams of protein (based on the well known formula involving body weight). So all my meals had a concentrated protein source. I would make a post workout smoothie that had about 40 grams of soy protein isolate. There were no additives and soy protein is easy to absorb. Soy protien isn't excessivly high in calories.

I was building a lot of muscle but I needed to decrease my coloric intake because my waste was getting large (I have what they call an "efficient" body). I noticed when I went under the recommended protein limit I was still putting on muscle just fine. I've always been skeptial about excessive protein for working out and this kind of confirmed my skeptisism.

Anyway, soy protien isolate is simply pure soy protien. As far as I can tell its good stuff. They have vanilla flavors you can get if the plain stuff is too unpalatable.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2011 7:59:11 AM
Your thoughts?

It appears to be rubbish. You receive the required amount, even if you resistance train, from a balanced diet anyway.

http://journals.humankinetics.com...
Meatros
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2011 6:11:24 PM

I for one am skeptical.

Your thoughts?

Indispensable? No. Helpful, yeah. It depends on hat you use them or. If you are trying to gain weight and it's a struggle for you to eat several large meals, then a protein shake is an easy alternative.

Basically with nutition it's more about your goals. Are you trying to lose weight? You might hear "eat several times a day". That really isn't going to "speed" up your metabolism to any discernible rate, despite what the gurus might say. What it will do is keep you sated throughout the day so you are less likely to binge at lunch or dinner.

Here's an interesting discussion on protien by some big name nutritionists:
http://exrx.net...