Jump to topic:

overcompulsive overeating

RicheyWentz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2011 1:37:53 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Been struggling with this for about half a year now.

I can down a bag of family size chips, carton of ice cream, king size candy bars, whole pizza, etc.

I need advice to be this vicious addiction so I can make it to age 30.

I usually only overeat while on the computer or watching tv. It's a way to cope with boredom, stress/anxiety, depression, and my ADD.

If anyone has had an overcompulsive eating disorder in the past, that would be much more reliable for me or any addiction really.
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2011 4:08:03 AM
If you're really serious about losing weight then a combnation of cigarettes and amphetemines is the only viable alternative to major surgery.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2011 11:07:44 PM
At 5/13/2011 1:37:53 AM, RicheyWentz wrote:

I can down a bag of family size chips, carton of ice cream, king size candy bars, whole pizza, etc.

I usually only overeat while on the computer or watching tv. It's a way to cope with boredom, stress/anxiety, depression, and my ADD.

If anyone has had an overcompulsive eating disorder in the past, that would be much more reliable for me or any addiction really.

And I thought the people starving to death in third world countries had it bad...
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2011 11:08:36 PM
overcompulsive eating disorder

You call it a disorder, I call it natural selection.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2011 11:14:17 PM

Dang bud, that sounds ruff. I wouldn't advice the surgery. I knew a young women that had the surgery and it helped to get rid of the weight but it did nothing for her depression and anxiety.

Do you enjoy anything besides the computer or tv? Fishing? Hunting? Hiking?
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2011 3:27:22 AM
It's not a disorder; that's just your mind fvcking with you.
The obvious solution is to simply stop eating so much. Go and see a personal trainer and get a new diet made up and start working out.
The only difficult part is getting motivated.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2011 6:51:05 AM
At 5/13/2011 4:08:03 AM, feverish wrote:
If you're really serious about losing weight then a combnation of cigarettes and amphetemines is the only viable alternative to major surgery.

lol
signature
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2011 8:08:57 AM
What is happening here is that your mind has learned that consumption can make you happy. At some point you lost control and are now unable to become happy without consumption. It is similar to drug abuse (without much of the stigma) and consumption can take many different forms.

I'm no psychologist but I'll take a stab. The first step is recognition that you have a problem. You have obviously reached this step, as you are actively searching for help. Dealing with the cravings is not going to be easy, however. I would say you have two options from here:

1) try to address the problem creatively, yourself, or
2) seek professional help. Obviously this is going to be the superior of the options and, as you can tell, the DDO community is not specialized enough to be able to answer your questions professionally (and can be downright trollish in responding, unfortunately). I have brought up the fact that we lack organization and specialization and perhaps as the community grows we will become stronger.

At any rate, if you're unwilling or unable to get the professional help, then I would suggest a few things based on my own experiences:

- Don't try to quit cold-turkey. Sometimes you feel stronger than at other times and you're only setting yourself up to crash.

- Think about addressing other underlying problems in your life that may be contributing, perhaps in the areas of self-esteem. Work? Relationship? Is there something else that is affecting you acutely that could be contributing? It could be difficult to address eating alone if that's not the whole story.

- Bring the urges down slowly. Think about how many times a day you normally binge, and what times it normally happens. Be ready to address the urges before they happen, perhaps with something pleasant you enjoy doing or with a friend who is willing to help distract you. In modern society, however, your friends are going to be so strapped for time I fear that may not be a possibility (they have menial labor to perform to help get plastic trinkets and the like to consumers :). Have snacks prepared in advance and try to crank down the amounts slowly but surely.

- Eating disorders are as serious as anything I've ever seen. I had an ex who was anorexic/bulemic. The psychological effects behind her condition were... startlingly acute and damaging. It doesn't *seem* like that serious of a condition (compared to drug addiction or some genetic predisposition to illness) but it is definitely so. I caused her a lot of damage for the first few months of the relationship by treating her like she simply needed to grow up, as if I could just talk her out of it. I don't want to give you an excuse to give up, but if you have a psychological history then you could be fighting a lost battle without someone who knows exactly what they are doing helping you out.

- Start exercising. It doesn't matter who you are, if you don't exercise then you are screwing up and you're going to have problems in some area. Exercising builds the mind's abilities in so many ways... not the least of which is strength to deal with addiction. Exercising builds mental strength just as much as physical. I've found that the mental anguish involved in striving for that extra mile, or that extra set of reps, is not wasted. It essentially takes the form of your anguish in other things throughout the day. So the weakness you feel that makes you eat can be somewhat removed by a rigorous workout in the morning, after which you feel mighty in control. As psychologically damaged as my ex was, jogging was the one activity that freed her, temporarily, from her condition.
kfc
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2011 9:20:54 AM
At 5/13/2011 4:08:03 AM, feverish wrote:
If you're really serious about losing weight then a combnation of cigarettes and amphetemines is the only viable alternative to major surgery.:

LOL! WTF?!?! Feverish that's the worst alternative I've ever heard.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2011 9:26:54 AM

If anyone has had an overcompulsive eating disorder in the past, that would be much more reliable for me or any addiction really.:

Take innomen's advice and go the professional route. Don't smoke a billion cigarettes and take amphetamines. Your cardiovascular system is under enough stress and likely could not handle it.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2011 9:28:55 AM
"Overcompulsive"...? lol sorry but the mental image of that word is kind of funny.

Anyway, you should probably seek the help of a counsellor or therapist...
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2011 9:30:30 AM
At 5/14/2011 9:28:55 AM, nonentity wrote:
"Overcompulsive"...? lol sorry but the mental image of that word is kind of funny.

Anyway, you should probably seek the help of a counsellor or therapist...

If you can't afford one, a google search will help. http://www.something-fishy.org...
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2011 11:07:37 AM
OA has helped a lot of people in dealing with their compulsive behavior, and gets to some route issues that lie in the cause. They are very supportive, and it's free. Their program is a little bit difficult and requires a lot of honesty, but i know a few people that have regained a normal life with the help of OA.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2011 3:24:14 PM
Some of you are being mean.

To echo the good things that's been mentioned in this thread: OA, counseling, healthier lifestyle.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2011 9:41:33 PM

Do not focus on not eating too much, as that just makes your mind think about eating too much, it is really stupid it has no idea about the not part.

Take it one day at a time, if that is too much then take it one hour at time, whatever it takes to make it a workable goal.

Eat healthy, learn to cook, do something, make a commitment to put up one debate every day and make an honest and hard effort to research in post.

Does not have to be debate, but has to be something you can focus on and focus on that and eating healthy, but never think about not over eating.

Be positive and focus on things you can do and do them.

Keep a log, write down your goals, every morning write them down, just one day, then a week what you want to see happen, then a month.

See it happen, act like it has already happened, talk like it has already happened, again your brain is stupid, it has no idea that you are acting.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2011 9:54:21 PM
Oh, you have ADD? So do I! Get adderall, it really acts as an appetite suppressant. I'm not on it right now because I'm out of school and wouldn't mind gaining a few lbs.

...Oh, a squirrel!
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2011 10:43:17 PM
At 5/16/2011 9:54:21 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
Oh, you have ADD? So do I! Get adderall, it really acts as an appetite suppressant. I'm not on it right now because I'm out of school and wouldn't mind gaining a few lbs.

...Oh, a squirrel!

o_O

Are you acting "in character," or do you legitimately have ADD?
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2011 10:49:58 PM
At 5/16/2011 9:58:58 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I eat alot too, but I doubt my eating habits could qualify as a disorder though, idk.

Pfft, skinny girls can't have eating disorders.

o_O

Are you acting "in character," or do you legitimately have ADD?

I am technically diagnosed with ADD.

However, ADD is one of those funny disorders where all you have to do is tell a doctor you've never been able to focus and you've got monthly access to a bottle of adderall that typically goes for $250-$300 on a college campus. Just saying.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2011 11:00:53 PM
At 5/16/2011 10:49:58 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
I eat alot too, but I doubt my eating habits could qualify as a disorder though, idk.

Are you fat?
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2011 11:10:48 PM
At 5/16/2011 11:00:53 PM, Nags wrote:

Are you fat?

Would answering "yes" destroy your mental image of me as an innocent, seductive 14 year old school girl?
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2011 11:13:56 PM
At 5/16/2011 11:10:48 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:

Are you fat?

Would answering "yes" destroy your mental image of me as an innocent, seductive 14 year old school girl?

Not really, you're bisexual so I expect you to be dyke-ish.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2011 11:17:40 PM
At 5/16/2011 11:13:56 PM, Nags wrote:

Are you fat?

Also, you're most likely a troll who is male, not a fourteen year old girl. Sooo... there's that.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2011 11:20:10 PM
At 5/16/2011 11:17:40 PM, Nags wrote:
At 5/16/2011 11:13:56 PM, Nags wrote:

Are you fat?

Also, you're most likely a troll who is male, not a fourteen year old girl. Sooo... there's that.

Homophobic much?

You have no evidence that I'm male. I simply don't conform to certain gender stereotypes (i.e. that females are submissive) so now you impose your hetero-sexist opinions.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2011 11:24:44 PM
At 5/16/2011 11:20:10 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
Homophobic much?

You have no evidence that I'm male. I simply don't conform to certain gender stereotypes (i.e. that females are submissive) so now you impose your hetero-sexist opinions.

Yawn. You had plenty of time to craft a witty response and this was the best you could come up with? Troll harder. I'll give you a troll grade of 3/10 only because I'm responding.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2011 11:29:35 PM
At 5/16/2011 11:24:44 PM, Nags wrote:
At 5/16/2011 11:20:10 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
Homophobic much?

Yawn. You had plenty of time to craft a witty response and this was the best you could come up with? Troll harder. I'll give you a troll grade of 3/10 only because I'm responding.

The sad part is even if I did come up with a witty response your fap image of me is already ruined so it's all for nothing.

Regardless I'm not here to entertain you, and if you look around you'll see I've posted some deep sh*t.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2011 11:31:04 PM
At 5/16/2011 11:29:35 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
Regardless I'm not here to entertain you, and if you look around you'll see I've posted some deep sh*t.

You're half right.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...