Jump to topic:

Curing FOP

poleflux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2011 3:11:05 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
This is a terminal medical condition which turns tissue into bone thereby rendering its victims into living statues.

So I would like to argue for possible science technology as a safe treatment and possible reversal of this illness.

I wondered why not use a zero gravity experiment putting these patience into weightlessness which has been proved by NASA to stop bone growth in astronauts, why not?
Meatros
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2011 3:15:03 PM
At 6/23/2011 3:11:05 PM, poleflux wrote:
This is a terminal medical condition which turns tissue into bone thereby rendering its victims into living statues.

So I would like to argue for possible science technology as a safe treatment and possible reversal of this illness.

I wondered why not use a zero gravity experiment putting these patience into weightlessness which has been proved by NASA to stop bone growth in astronauts, why not?

IIRC, we aren't sure of the causes of the ossification. I'd say it's worth a shot, the people suffering from it deserve some relief.

It's a scary disorder (disease)?
Justin_Chains
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2011 3:54:36 PM
Interesting. Post a link to a picture of someone with this disease if you can. Seems almost hard to believe and it would make me wonder if such a disorder gave weight to stories like Medusa from ancient greek mythology, where her gaze would turn people to stone.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2011 4:12:57 PM
My grandpa ended up dying of something that sounds just like this called "Scleroderma".

It is slow, painful, and horrifying. It's a really sh!tty way to go. His skin hardened to where he was bed ridden for a year, couldn't move at all. Eventually, it began to effect his internal organs, and his lungs gave out.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2011 4:53:53 PM
I could argue that non-medicinal strategies are more efficacious than whatever you're proposing as long as I can see your proposal first. You may have some sort of miracle machine that I'm not aware of that instantly cures it.
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2011 6:02:39 PM
5:02
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2011 10:01:45 PM
At 6/23/2011 3:11:05 PM, poleflux wrote:

The bone density in your body is regulated similar to muscle density, using very loose language. When there is reduced stress then the natural procedures which encourage growth of both are suppressed. It is unlikely that this would stop the very unnatural problem here. Note you would not need low gravity to see this, fluid suspensions would produce a similar effect.