Total Posts:77|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Physical strength is better than brains.

GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2011 6:10:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Being physically strong and maintained is sufficiently better than being mentally able and maintained?

What are you views?

I am planning to debate this threads' very title.
Meatros
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2011 6:24:09 PM
Didn't you post this before?

In any event, you plan on debating this? Are you going to take the side of physical strength is better?
Meatros
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2011 6:25:26 PM
If you are, does that mean your opponent automatically wins?

Isn't this like the student of Cicero's who refused to pay Cicero for a legal class?
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2011 6:26:02 PM
At 6/29/2011 6:12:48 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Better in what respect?

In respects of being in a situation that would suit the needs of being either physically strong, healthy, fit and maintained or being mentally able, equipped, coherent and maintained. Which of within, all is determined by probability. I am not making any specific situations, I am purely going by the fundamentals of which is better to be, physically or mentally better and maintained.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2011 6:27:53 PM
At 6/29/2011 6:26:02 PM, GodSands wrote:
Better in what respect?

In respects of being in a situation that would suit the needs of being either physically strong, healthy, fit and maintained or being mentally able, equipped, coherent and maintained. Which of within, all is determined by probability. I am not making any specific situations, I am purely going by the fundamentals of which is better to be, physically or mentally better and maintained.

... If you're in a situation requiring mental fitness, mental fitness is better. If you're in a situation requiring physical strength, physical strength is better.
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2011 6:30:05 PM
At 6/29/2011 6:25:26 PM, Meatros wrote:
If you are, does that mean your opponent automatically wins?

Isn't this like the student of Cicero's who refused to pay Cicero for a legal class?

If I was to be pro for the side of 'being physically able is better' then it does not mean I automatically lose, it would just mean if I do lose, then my opponent will lose something other than another debate, just kidding hehe. I'm not a violent person.
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2011 6:31:05 PM
At 6/29/2011 6:27:53 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Better in what respect?

... If you're in a situation requiring mental fitness, mental fitness is better. If you're in a situation requiring physical strength, physical strength is better.

Which is fundamentally better? That is my question.
Cobo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2011 6:38:05 PM
I'd say their equal.

Why have the brains if you can't act on your ideas?
Why have the brawn if you can't finda way to use it?
Church of the BANHAMMER GODS priest
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2011 6:41:18 PM
Why win a debate with logic when I could just punch you in the face?

You're totally right, godsands.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2011 6:50:40 PM
At 6/29/2011 6:31:05 PM, GodSands wrote:
Better in what respect?

"Good" and "better" require a purpose, i.e. a frame of reference. Neither is intrinsically "better".
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2011 7:02:52 PM
If you had to choose between being physically or mentally handicapped, which would you choose?
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2011 7:03:22 PM
At 6/29/2011 6:50:40 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Better in what respect?

"Good" and "better" require a purpose, i.e. a frame of reference. Neither is intrinsically "better".

Right, I am going right off track here, but I'm just going to say it. "But the universe doesn't require a purpose?". I just thought that if 'good' and 'better' require purpose, then the universe must also.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2011 7:04:10 PM
At 6/29/2011 7:03:22 PM, GodSands wrote:
Right, I am going right off track here, but I'm just going to say it. "But the universe doesn't require a purpose?". I just thought that if 'good' and 'better' require purpose, then the universe must also.

You're opening a can of nihilistic worms dude.

Muh threads
Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2011 7:05:04 PM
Better in what respect?

Muahaha, you fell right into his trap!
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2011 7:15:34 PM

Right, I am going right off track here, but I'm just going to say it. "But the universe doesn't require a purpose?".

No. It neither requires nor has a purpose. Even if God existed, the nihilist thesis would remain intact. The purpose that God has for his creation is as subjective as the purpose that the creation sets for itself--the only difference is the power differential between the creator and the creation.

Apart from the metaphysical status of "purpose", you've also failed to warrant the notion that "purpose" is a prerequisite to existence.

I just thought that if 'good' and 'better' require purpose, then the universe must also.

You're drawing a blatantly false comparison. When I say that "good" and "better" require purpose, I'm looking at value subjectivity. The property of goodness isn't intrinsic to objects--it's the product of an agent's evaluation. To say that something is "good" begs the question "good at/for what?"

Moreover, equating "purpose" in the former since with "purpose" in the latter (universal) sense gets you nowhere, because it forces you to admit subjectivity, which in turn forces you to concede the nihilist thesis.

Finally, all of that is irrelevant anyway because your contention is a non sequitur. Universal purpose does not directly follow from the necessity of a standard of judgment for "goodness".
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2011 7:17:20 PM
To tie that back to the question, neither strength of mind nor strength of body is intrinsically superior. Whether one is better depends on what your goals are; however, even positing a standard of judgment relevant to a particular agent, you still aren't making an objective judgment about which is "better" independent of the judge.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2011 7:20:32 PM
At 6/29/2011 7:17:20 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
To tie that back to the question, neither strength of mind nor strength of body is intrinsically superior. Whether one is better depends on what your goals are; however, even positing a standard of judgment relevant to a particular agent, you still aren't making an objective judgment about which is "better" independent of the judge.

I have you tied up and have no chance of escape.
You can choose to:
a) die a horrible, slow, painful death.
b) have your spine damaged in a way which would make you a quadriplegic with no chance of future recovery.
c) have a partial-frontal lobe lobotomy which would reduce your intelligence to below average with no chance of future recovery.

Choose.

Muh threads
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2011 7:23:57 PM
At 6/29/2011 7:20:32 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 6/29/2011 7:17:20 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

I have you tied up and have no chance of escape.
You can choose to:
a) die a horrible, slow, painful death.
b) have your spine damaged in a way which would make you a quadriplegic with no chance of future recovery.
c) have a partial-frontal lobe lobotomy which would reduce your intelligence to below average with no chance of future recovery.

Choose.

No matter what, I'm basically a useless pile of crap. I'm either dead, hopelessly paralyzed, or retarded. No matter what, I'll never be having sex again. F*cking surprise me.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2011 7:32:21 PM
At 6/29/2011 7:23:57 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
No matter what, I'm basically a useless pile of crap. I'm either dead, hopelessly paralyzed, or retarded. No matter what, I'll never be having sex again. F*cking surprise me.

Below average intelligence people have sex all the time. It's a fvcking major problem. I'll throw in that you would still be able to maintain an erection in the quadriplegic scenario.

Muh threads
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2011 7:39:28 PM
At 6/29/2011 7:32:21 PM, tvellalott wrote:

Below average intelligence people have sex all the time. It's a fvcking major problem.

Retarded people tend to not have sex. Literally retarded, mind you.

I'll throw in that you would still be able to maintain an erection in the quadriplegic scenario.

Would I still be able to get chicks as a quadriplegic? If so, I'd opt for that.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2011 7:48:37 PM
At 6/29/2011 7:39:28 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Below average intelligence people have sex all the time. It's a fvcking major problem.

I'll throw in that you would still be able to maintain an erection in the quadriplegic scenario.

There are always prostitutes.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2011 8:00:04 PM
Better in what respect?

Well, that still depends upon the situation. One situation might necessitate the use of physical strength, the other mental ability, and finally the third situation, both.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2011 8:01:37 PM
At 6/29/2011 7:48:37 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 6/29/2011 7:39:28 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

If they're "literally retarded", then I guess they can't do anything, not even maintain the proper pose during intercourse.

There are always prostitutes.
Unless if they are desperate for cash.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
tudaloo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2011 8:20:29 PM
At 6/29/2011 6:10:46 PM, GodSands wrote:
Being physically strong and maintained is sufficiently better than being mentally able and maintained?

What are you views?

The strong person probably gets all the chicks v.s the guy who is looking for the cure to cancers.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2011 8:22:29 PM
At 6/29/2011 8:20:29 PM, tudaloo wrote:

What are you views?

The strong person probably gets all the chicks v.s the guy who is looking for the cure to cancers.

Strength is only a small thing that girls are attractive to. Plus girls have different preferences in males.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2011 8:24:35 PM
A stronger argument could be made for physical health, imo. Strength seems to be generally of secondary importance in modern society.
tudaloo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2011 8:25:08 PM
At 6/29/2011 8:22:29 PM, darkkermit wrote:

What are you views?

Strength is only a small thing that girls are attractive to. Plus girls have different preferences in males.

defiantly true. That's why farmer girls are the way to go.
tudaloo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2011 8:25:59 PM
At 6/29/2011 8:25:08 PM, tudaloo wrote:
At 6/29/2011 8:22:29 PM, darkkermit wrote:

What are you views?

defiantly true. That's why farmer girls are the way to go or a blue collar chick if you live in the cities.
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 6:59:53 AM

What are you views?

If I had a 75/25 percent split between mental abiltiy and physical strength... I would much rather have 75% mental ability, instead of 75% physical strength. Being physically strong falls short if you do't have the mental ability to use it wisely. Martial artists support my stance.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."