Jump to topic:

Holistic Healing

Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 3:27:34 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Topic: I have created this forum to discuss Holistic Healing.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 3:27:44 PM
Article: This study, using functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) technology, demonstrated that distant intentionality (DI), defined as sending thoughts at a distance, is correlated with an activation of certain brain functions in the recipients. Eleven healers who espoused some form for connecting or healing at a distance were recruited from the island of Hawaii. Each healer selected a person with whom they felt a special connection as a recipient for DI. The recipient was placed in the MRI scanner and isolated from all forms of sensory contact from the healer. The healers sent forms of DI that related to their own healing practices at random 2-minute intervals that were unknown to the recipient. Significant differences between experimental (send) and control (no send) procedures were found (p = 0.000127). Areas activated during the experimental procedures included the anterior and middle cingulate area, precuneus, and frontal area. It was concluded that instructions to a healer to make an intentional connection with a sensory isolated person can be correlated to changes in brain function of that individual.

PMID: 16398587 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 3:51:05 PM
*puts skeptical hat on*

I'm sure there's a perfectly natural non-telepathic explanation, even if we don't know what it is. Besides, there are far more studies showing no effect beyond placebo, so I wouldn't be compelled to change my mind unless there were enough demonstrable experiments showing positive results to alter mainstream consensus.
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 5:08:27 PM
At 7/8/2011 3:51:05 PM, Kinesis wrote:
*puts skeptical hat on*

I'm sure there's a perfectly natural non-telepathic explanation, even if we don't know what it is. Besides, there are far more studies showing no effect beyond placebo, so I wouldn't be compelled to change my mind unless there were enough demonstrable experiments showing positive results to alter mainstream consensus.

Opinion: I respect your skeptical approach, but you must try to understand the unknown before you can grow from the knowledge that dwells there. Humans have constantly broken the barrier of skepticism in multiple subjects of knowledge throughout the millenia. I would say that the cycle will continue. It seems to me that hardcore skeptics are always the last to receive truth, because they never accept the knowledge as truth until everyone who is less skeptical already has accepted it. If you look at it in this way, skeptics are followers, not leaders. Leaders make changes in human knowledge and human history, skeptics follow the path that was paved.

I do not say this to offend anyone who is a skeptic, only that this is how I see the world. I mean no offense.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 7:40:32 PM
At 7/8/2011 5:08:27 PM, Tiel wrote:
It seems to me that hardcore skeptics are always the last to receive truth, because they never accept the knowledge as truth until everyone who is less skeptical already has accepted it. If you look at it in this way, skeptics are followers, not leaders. Leaders make changes in human knowledge and human history, skeptics follow the path that was paved.

The first shall be last, and the last shall be first, as it is said.

Hardcore skeptics can be annoying(If you are in a teaching situation, or a situation where you are building something, and they won't shut up despite the fact that they have no idea what they are talking about.. Those two situations come to mind.) prevents them from but open minded skepticism is very healthy.

It is good to be slow to believe. Well, maybe not for the economy. The economy runs on schmucks... But while it is slow to believe, it is still good to investigate thoroughly. Investigation will only work if you are honest and free from confirmation bias.

You've got to be scientific.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 8:13:41 PM
At 7/8/2011 7:40:32 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
It seems to me that hardcore skeptics are always the last to receive truth, because they never accept the knowledge as truth until everyone who is less skeptical already has accepted it. If you look at it in this way, skeptics are followers, not leaders. Leaders make changes in human knowledge and human history, skeptics follow the path that was paved.

The first shall be last, and the last shall be first, as it is said.

Hardcore skeptics can be annoying(If you are in a teaching situation, or a situation where you are building something, and they won't shut up despite the fact that they have no idea what they are talking about.. Those two situations come to mind.) prevents them from but open minded skepticism is very healthy.

It is good to be slow to believe. Well, maybe not for the economy. The economy runs on schmucks... But while it is slow to believe, it is still good to investigate thoroughly. Investigation will only work if you are honest and free from confirmation bias.

You've got to be scientific.

Reply: I agree. One must be scientific in the approach and also logical as to the limits of the current scientific instruments. These instruments are the very thing that scientists depend on to confirm or deny data as truth. Scientific truth is only as limited as the experiments and instruments it uses. As science gains new instruments, science gains new truths.
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 10:50:41 PM
Opinion: A very thought provoking study on visualization healing.

http://www.new-age-center.com...
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2011 1:40:53 PM
At 7/8/2011 3:51:05 PM, Kinesis wrote:
*puts skeptical hat on*

Opinion: I respect your skeptical approach, but you must try to understand the unknown before you can grow from the knowledge that dwells there.
Sometimes skeptics have tried "to understand the unknown" and failed to find any unscientific explanation for such phenomenon.
Humans have constantly broken the barrier of skepticism in multiple subjects of knowledge throughout the millenia.
And yet skepticism is still one of a scientist's greatest assets in assessing research, evidence, theories, conclusions, and the findings of other peers.
I would say that the cycle will continue. It seems to me that hardcore skeptics are always the last to receive truth, because they never accept the knowledge as truth until everyone who is less skeptical already has accepted it.
The majority is sometimes wrong, and the word 'truth' is subjective in fields that are still relatively unknown. For example, your recent post--the magnetic sense discovered in the eye--is still inconclusive as to whether or not what was discovered in the human retina can be powerful or prominent enough to count as an extra sense...
If you look at it in this way, skeptics are followers, not leaders.
And so believers, by the way. They are also followers and, according to your imperative, not leaders.
Leaders make changes in human knowledge and human history, skeptics follow the path that was paved.
I disagree: by questioning other views and findings, skeptics have the chance to pave new roads in the fields of "human knowledge and human history" as well. Some of them are leaders, by your definition.

I do not say this to offend anyone who is a skeptic, only that this is how I see the world. I mean no offense.
No worries.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
ravi_limaye
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 3:09:09 PM
What techniques are practiced for holistic healing?
In India, family sturcture is such that elders and the smallest member stay under same roof and learn traditions, experiences from each other. Reiki is also practiced.
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 5:02:12 PM
At 9/14/2011 3:09:09 PM, ravi_limaye wrote:
What techniques are practiced for holistic healing?
In India, family sturcture is such that elders and the smallest member stay under same roof and learn traditions, experiences from each other. Reiki is also practiced.

Reiki, acupuncture, acupressure, sound therapy, color therapy, light therapy, and certain meditation techniques are some of the most common holistic methods.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 5:03:26 PM
I personally use the "masturbate in a cup, and make someone else drink it" method. Works about 30% of the time.

I have magic seed.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 7:10:04 PM
At 9/14/2011 5:03:26 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
I personally use the "masturbate in a cup, and make someone else drink it" method. Works about 30% of the time.

I have magic seed.

You should patent your product and sell the patent to your friends at Quantum Woo INC.