I think hard drugs messed me up

Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 3:14:22 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Seriously.

Every few months I have a few days (like I am now) where this pretty freakish feeling surrounds me. It's not part of the normal repertoire of human emotion; not even close. It's a purely negative feeling, and comes and goes throughout the day. The acute episodes are accompanied by a memory, I'd guess one of several, which comes and leaves me within about a five-second period (after those few seconds it is wiped completely from my memory and is totally forgotten). The memory is seemingly irrelevant and meaningless (like a stupid dream), so I never feel the urge to try and write it down and try to stick with it, although perhaps that would help.

These episodes have sometimes followed particularly stressful events, but that pattern hasn't held up over time.

I've smoked weed for going on 17 years but I'm pretty sure it was the hard drugs that did it... I haven't smoked in over three months now and that doesn't seem to make a difference, and the intensive nature of psychadelics makes it hard to believe that it would be weed. It could be neither as well, since my mother had a history of mental illness. Most likely it is a perfect storm of my genetic predisposition mixed with the acid and shrooms I've done in my life (maybe the coke). I was never a heavy user, and have probably only tripped about ten times, several of those being unsuccessful because I didn't take enough to do anything. I've done coke 3 or 4 times in generous doses, and about ten times in very small doses. I'd say I'm probably lucky that I never really took off with it. I'm sure other people can get away with many, many doses. Some people trip once and never go back to normal - my friends tripped with a guy who admitted to them days later that he never stopped tripping, and I'm pretty sure it was his first time.

Anyways, never a bad time to make another drugs thread ;]
Rob
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 5:17:22 PM
Sounds like the plot from the movie "Jacobs Ladder," about a veteran who suffered from terrible dreams while awake. As he later found out, he was part of the CIA's mind control experiments "Manchurian Candidate." Anyway, psychidelics were used to induce this state. Maybe you dosed yourself too much. It is incontestable that prolonged use of LSD and X can cause permanent damage.

Advice: Go to a neurologist.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
el-badgero
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 5:42:13 PM
let's just right it off to you being crazy shall we... sorry :S
DATCMOTO's moustache makes him look like an eejit...

edit: nah, i'm jealous... God's an eejit definitely though!
el-badgero
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 5:46:04 PM
At 7/22/2011 5:42:13 PM, el-badgero wrote:

write* ...oh no!
DATCMOTO's moustache makes him look like an eejit...

edit: nah, i'm jealous... God's an eejit definitely though!
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 7:21:47 PM
No offense meant, but this is why I refuse to do anything heavier than pot. Well, maybe shrooms one of these days, but I don't know if that counts.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 11:04:07 PM
At 7/22/2011 5:17:22 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Sounds like the plot from the movie "Jacobs Ladder," about a veteran who suffered from terrible dreams while awake. As he later found out, he was part of the CIA's mind control experiments "Manchurian Candidate." Anyway, psychidelics were used to induce this state. Maybe you dosed yourself too much. It is incontestable that prolonged use of LSD and X can cause permanent damage.

Some people seem to be able to do much more than others, but yeah there's only so many times you can introduce the most sensitive chemical compounds into your brain and expect them to level back out perfectly - although that may be a crude way of describing it.

Advice: Go to a neurologist.

Interesting idea; someone might have a very good piece of advice for me in that profession. I believe however, that it's much more likely that it would be more along the lines of "your symptoms are not that severe, and any treatment we would give you is going to be just as likely to cause side effects that are at least as severe as what you're experiencing already." I'd be interested in what they'd have to say, at least (maybe this is quite common, who knows?) but I'm not willing to shell out the bucks for it. Honestly, I've lost much of my faith in the medical profession as I've aged. Doctors aren't the miracle workers I once portrayed them as when I was a kid. Drugs are such a common remedy, and they are so blunt as an instrument.
Rob
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 11:07:36 PM
At 7/22/2011 5:46:04 PM, el-badgero wrote:
At 7/22/2011 5:42:13 PM, el-badgero wrote:

write* ...oh no!

Well, unfortunately some sorts of crazy people are much more susceptable to the effects of psychadelics.

I can't count how many times that phrase from LOTR has run through my head today: "I feel like butter spread over too much bread." I was considering tripping another time or two in the future but I seriously doubt it now.
Rob
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 11:25:23 PM
At 7/22/2011 7:21:47 PM, jat93 wrote:
No offense meant, but this is why I refuse to do anything heavier than pot.

That's sort of why I created the thread, other than, obviously, whoring for attention - maybe this will be a reason for some of you younger people to reconsider doing it. It's a blast to do, don't get me wrong - I'll always cherish my memories of seeing things spinning before my eyes that otherwise would be standing still. But there's no such thing as a free lunch, and one should not expect to just be able to pop hits of acid, have a great time, and not pay for it somehow. Nothing in life works that way so why should tripping be any different?

Well, maybe shrooms one of these days, but I don't know if that counts.

All things considered, shrooms are a bit safer, even if just for the fact that it's easier to know how much your getting in a dose. Strengths can differ in shrooms but not by that much, while with acid you are at the mercy of how accurate the manufacturer deployed the substance across whatever medium you are using to ingest it. And these days there's lots of bad chemicals turning up in drugs so I wouldn't trust anyone.

That being said, shroom trips often go wrong and I've found it hard to enjoy the last couple I've done. Shrooms have a way of boosting your insecurities that can be quite unsettling. If you're with some really fun people in a controlled environment then you will likely do well.
Rob
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 7:28:23 AM
At 7/22/2011 3:14:22 PM, Lasagna wrote:
Seriously.

Every few months I have a few days (like I am now) where this pretty freakish feeling surrounds me. It's not part of the normal repertoire of human emotion; not even close. It's a purely negative feeling, and comes and goes throughout the day.

That is a profoundly vague description of whatever it is you're experiencing.

The acute episodes are accompanied by a memory, I'd guess one of several, which comes and leaves me within about a five-second period (after those few seconds it is wiped completely from my memory and is totally forgotten). The memory is seemingly irrelevant and meaningless (like a stupid dream), so I never feel the urge to try and write it down and try to stick with it, although perhaps that would help.

Donning my amateur Psychiatric robe, you're basically saying that you're consciously repressing memories that are causing you a lot of stress.

These episodes have sometimes followed particularly stressful events, but that pattern hasn't held up over time.

I've smoked weed for going on 17 years but I'm pretty sure it was the hard drugs that did it...

Why? Just because you've taken drugs n the past and are concerned about your mental health now, you automatically assume causality?

I haven't smoked in over three months now... my mother had a history of mental illness... I was never a heavy user, and have probably only tripped about ten times, several of those being unsuccessful because I didn't take enough to do anything. I've done coke 3 or 4 times in generous doses, and about ten times in very small doses. I'm sure other people can get away with many, many doses.

None of this suggests to me any significant likelihood that drugs would have had a major impact on your mental health.

Some people trip once and never go back to normal - my friends tripped with a guy who admitted to them days later that he never stopped tripping, and I'm pretty sure it was his first time.

Anyone who exhibits insanity after mild contact with psychadelics presumably had severe underlying mental health problems beforehand, drugs in these cases are surely merely the trigger not the cause. Almost all studies on the links between mental health and substance misuse seem to overlook the obvious fact that those with psychological issues in the first place may well be the most likely to self medicate with drugs.

Anyways, never a bad time to make another drugs thread ;]
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 9:41:23 AM
No offense meant, but this is why I refuse to do anything heavier than pot. Well, maybe shrooms one of these days, but I don't know if that counts.

You should really ask yourself why some random person without a medical degree's self-assessment over the internet is why you would choose to do or not do anything. Also why wouldn't they count? I'm pretty sure he said he did acid, shrooms and coke, and coke wouldn't affect you like that after the fact. If you're afraid of psychadelics then shrooms definitely count. Every shrooming experience I've had has been more intense than every acid trip I've had.
President of DDO
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 9:46:12 AM
It isn't fun being around people who are on drugs. Drugs are for people with dry elbows.

*downs mysterious substance, and lights up a joint*
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 9:53:09 AM
Rob, when was the last time you did hard drugs? I'm not sure how you can at all say for certain that your experience from however long ago is what's causing your current mental state. It seems like you're just making assumptions without really any evidence. Studies have shown that over years of occasional use, the user notices no apparent change in his/her physical or mental condition that would be considered detrimental. In fact, many users state the opposite. You said you've tripped about 10 times. I've tripped more than that, and presumably in a much shorter period of time. I don't experience anything like what you've mentioned, and neither do a lot of people I know.

Of course there are going to be side effects and detriments; it would be naive to assume otherwise, and there is a negative aspect to just about everything you can do. However I definitely agree that you should see a neurologist if this is really bothering you, because the underlying issue could be something that can actually be helped instead of just accepting "Well I experimented with stuff and now I'm paying for it." I feel like if you're a habitual drug user, then sure, drugs will most definitely have a blatant negative impact. However the drugs you mentioned and the number of times you mentioned doesn't make this very likely in my opinion. I think most doctors would agree, but you should ask.
President of DDO
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 11:30:09 AM
At 7/23/2011 12:23:29 AM, Rockylightning wrote:
I would recommend stop taking drugs. Not a bad idea.

Well I don't for the time being, although I will likely take up cannabis this fall. I don't plan on doing anything else (with the obvious exception of alcohol).
Rob
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 11:33:38 AM
At 7/23/2011 11:30:09 AM, Lasagna wrote:
(with the obvious exception of alcohol).

Which is among the worst possible drugs
President of DDO
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 12:45:18 PM
At 7/23/2011 7:28:23 AM, feverish wrote:
At 7/22/2011 3:14:22 PM, Lasagna wrote:
Seriously.

Every few months I have a few days (like I am now) where this pretty freakish feeling surrounds me. It's not part of the normal repertoire of human emotion; not even close. It's a purely negative feeling, and comes and goes throughout the day.

That is a profoundly vague description of whatever it is you're experiencing.

It's an emotion; there is no explanation. Tell me what it feels like to be happy, or horny, or anxious - words fail. But I'll try a bit more.

I often visualize a series of dials (like a speedometer, odometer, etc.) and picture the needles as my emotional state. Suddenly, all the needles will fall to zero, and I feel this profound emptiness. It's sort of like coming down from a cocaine high, where the seratonin (I believe it is) levels in your mind are trying to restabilize and you are incapable of feeling happiness.

The acute episodes are accompanied by a memory, I'd guess one of several, which comes and leaves me within about a five-second period (after those few seconds it is wiped completely from my memory and is totally forgotten). The memory is seemingly irrelevant and meaningless (like a stupid dream), so I never feel the urge to try and write it down and try to stick with it, although perhaps that would help.

Donning my amateur Psychiatric robe, you're basically saying that you're consciously repressing memories that are causing you a lot of stress.

Not really... like I said I am incapable of remembering them even a few seconds later but as I am recalling them during the episode, I can remember the impression I got from them, if that makes any sense. The impression is always the same: it's meaningless; petty; nonsensical. I actually did recall one of them - it was a scene of me driving down one of the streets here in green bay, Shawano Ave by St. Mary's hospital. After I recalled it I ceased using it during the episodes.

I've smoked weed for going on 17 years but I'm pretty sure it was the hard drugs that did it...

Why? Just because you've taken drugs n the past and are concerned about your mental health now, you automatically assume causality?

Just a hunch, for now. I think that, given the circumstances, it would at least be somewhat irresponsible to consider doing them again.

I haven't smoked in over three months now... my mother had a history of mental illness... I was never a heavy user, and have probably only tripped about ten times, several of those being unsuccessful because I didn't take enough to do anything. I've done coke 3 or 4 times in generous doses, and about ten times in very small doses. I'm sure other people can get away with many, many doses.

None of this suggests to me any significant likelihood that drugs would have had a major impact on your mental health.

Yeah it's not the most scientific explanation but hey...

Some people trip once and never go back to normal - my friends tripped with a guy who admitted to them days later that he never stopped tripping, and I'm pretty sure it was his first time.

Anyone who exhibits insanity after mild contact with psychadelics presumably had severe underlying mental health problems beforehand, drugs in these cases are surely merely the trigger not the cause. Almost all studies on the links between mental health and substance misuse seem to overlook the obvious fact that those with psychological issues in the first place may well be the most likely to self medicate with drugs.

Yeah my mother had a history or paranoid schizophrenia and manic depression, although I don't technically have any problems. But my mother's condition could be a factor - who knows?
Rob
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 12:59:44 PM
At 7/23/2011 9:53:09 AM, Danielle wrote:
Rob, when was the last time you did hard drugs?

I tripped on shrooms twice in recent history - 2 and 3 years ago. The rest were between 10-15 years ago. The episodes started during that time as well. I'm 30 now, did drugs at the usual time: 14-23ish. Episodes started at like 18.

I'm not sure how you can at all say for certain that your experience from however long ago is what's causing your current mental state. It seems like you're just making assumptions without really any evidence.

Yes. I'm trained in the sciences and understand this, but speculation is worth something :)

Studies have shown that over years of occasional use, the user notices no apparent change in his/her physical or mental condition that would be considered detrimental. In fact, many users state the opposite. You said you've tripped about 10 times. I've tripped more than that, and presumably in a much shorter period of time. I don't experience anything like what you've mentioned, and neither do a lot of people I know.

Of course there are going to be side effects and detriments; it would be naive to assume otherwise, and there is a negative aspect to just about everything you can do. However I definitely agree that you should see a neurologist if this is really bothering you, because the underlying issue could be something that can actually be helped instead of just accepting "Well I experimented with stuff and now I'm paying for it." I feel like if you're a habitual drug user, then sure, drugs will most definitely have a blatant negative impact. However the drugs you mentioned and the number of times you mentioned doesn't make this very likely in my opinion. I think most doctors would agree, but you should ask.

Well yeah, it would seem that your mental state is EVERYTHING as long as you aren't overdosing. Like I said, a friend of a friend of mine tripped once and never came back down. Others like you can pretty much keep control of it for years and years with no foreseeable hazards. I fear that I may be somewhere in between there, although I guess we wouldn't know for sure unless I started using quite a bit to find out. I'd sate my curousity, at the very least :)

As far as getting treatment, I don't have much faith in science's ability to fix the brain, and I don't put much stock in the general idea of being clinically assisted for things that aren't severely acute. Right now it's an occasional inconvenience, and doesn't appear to be getting worse.
Rob
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 1:02:40 PM
At 7/23/2011 11:33:38 AM, Danielle wrote:

If drinking is wrong, then I don't want to be right... I usually only have one drink at a time.
Rob
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 1:30:13 PM
At 7/23/2011 12:23:29 AM, Rockylightning wrote:
I would recommend stop taking drugs. Not a bad idea.

Well I don't for the time being, although I will likely take up cannabis this fall. I don't plan on doing anything else (with the obvious exception of alcohol).

Sorry I meant to say hard drugs. I would recommend not taking hard drugs. Pot and alchohol are wimps compared to some others.
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 4:00:18 PM
At 7/23/2011 9:41:23 AM, Danielle wrote:

You should really ask yourself why some random person without a medical degree's self-assessment over the internet is why you would choose to do or not do anything.

Don't be ridiculous. Do you really think my comment suggests that solely because of Rob's descriptions of his experiences with hard(er) drugs in his post, I decided never to do certain drugs? Come on. I was saying that because of many other people I've heard from with similar negative effects and many other things I've read in scientific journals and academic books on drugs, I'm quite wary of doing any of the hard stuff because of potential addictiveness and potential long term health effects (both of which are generally more prevalent in "harder" drugs than they are in pot, especially if you're not doing pot on a daily basis).

Also why wouldn't they count? I'm pretty sure he said he did acid, shrooms and coke, and coke wouldn't affect you like that after the fact. If you're afraid of psychadelics then shrooms definitely count. Every shrooming experience I've had has been more intense than every acid trip I've had.

Sorry, I guess I didn't make it clear that what I'm scared of specifically are potential long term health effects. That's how I judge a drug's severity or lack thereof and from what I know the long term effects of shrooms, especially if you do it only a few times and not on a consistent basis, are minimal at best.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 10:58:46 PM
At 7/23/2011 4:00:18 PM, jat93 wrote:
I'm quite wary of doing any of the hard stuff because of potential addictiveness

Anyone who can say these words out of their own volition is not going to become an addict, no matter what happens. You might as well strike this off your list. Drugs don't ruin people's lives; idiots use drugs to ruin their lives. Addiction is a personality trait, not a substance trait.

and potential long term health effects

Similarly, anyone who is already conscious of this isn't going to use enough to damage themselves. If I am right about my OP, and that is very far from being established, then I am an outlier at best. Some people do coke once and drop dead. Some people do shrooms once and never see a sober day for the rest of their lives. But these people have specific biological abnormalities that are quite uncommon. I hope I haven't exaggerated my condition here; at this point it is a mild irritant that only happens occassionally. A woman's PMS probably blows away the negative utility of my condition, but I wanted to talk about it simply because it is unique and I wanted to see what kind of response I got - sorry if I overdramatized. If it were to get worse I could be in some serious trouble, but we'll see what happens.

At any rate, I'd say your concerns about hard drugs sound a bit exaggerated (I feel kind of dirty saying that). You're obviously mature enough not to let the behavior degrade out of control, and you can get some good advice on here about how to do them safely if you are so inclined. My experiences with hard drugs were minimal, and enough to sate my curiousity about them; the experience has risk (doesn't everything) but the rewards are literally unbelievable. My complaints about them are meant to be personal because of my mother's history of mental illness, and I would like to shroom again someday but I am pretty disappointed that the wise decision may be to refrain.
Rob
AHodges
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 12:32:21 AM
At 7/23/2011 10:58:46 PM, Lasagna wrote:
I'm quite wary of doing any of the hard stuff because of potential addictiveness

Anyone who can say these words out of their own volition is not going to become an addict, no matter what happens. You might as well strike this off your list. Drugs don't ruin people's lives; idiots use drugs to ruin their lives. Addiction is a personality trait, not a substance trait.

That's a ridiculous thing to say. It really doesn't matter what a person says, or even thinks, it has no bearing at all on whether or not they'll become an addict. Just from your posts here in this thread, I get the idea that you are very young, which would explain these naive ideas about drugs and addiction.

Let's say he breaks his foot and gets prescribed opiate painkillers. It certainly wouldn't be stupid or idiotic for him to take a drug that is prescribed for a real injury, even if he is aware that painkillers are highly addictive. He has no idea before taking it whether or not that first buzz he gets is going to trigger something in his brain that's going to start him down a path towards addiction. No, you don't get addicted the first time you take a painkiller, but there are certainly people who begin to feel compelled toward it from that first dose (this happened to me, which is how I know some of this).

Addiction isn't a moral issue, and viewing it as such shows a fundamental misunderstanding of addiction and the way it affects the mind and body. It's also incredibly simplistic to imply that only an idiot would get addicted to drugs. Addiction affects people across all classes, economic backgrounds, intelligence....it knows no boundaries. The genius working in a science lab can get addicted just as easily as some dumb kid who starts out stealing his dad's liquor..............they may start out differently, and they may end up on different drugs, but the scientist's big brain can't save him.

And saying that addiction is "not a substance trait" neglects to consider all the different drugs that exist that cause dependence, which is not the same as addiction. Painkillers are the easiest example, because many chronic pain patients become physically dependent on the drugs, but they are not addicted. Dependence means that the patient needs to take the drug every day, and will go through withdrawal if taken off of it suddenly, but they take their meds as prescribed, and have no problem making them last until it's time for a refill.

Addicts behave differently, even if they are also chronic pain patients who have a legit need for the medication. Addicts always want more, if it says take two, they'll take four. They'll take it even on days when the pain isn't bad, because their mind obsessively craves and desires that drug. It's difficult to explain to a non-addict, and if you have a hard time understanding what I'm trying to express.........be glad!

At any rate, I'd say your concerns about hard drugs sound a bit exaggerated (I feel kind of dirty saying that). You're obviously mature enough not to let the behavior degrade out of control, and you can get some good advice on here about how to do them safely if you are so inclined. My experiences with hard drugs were minimal, and enough to sate my curiousity about them; the experience has risk (doesn't everything) but the rewards are literally unbelievable. My complaints about them are meant to be personal because of my mother's history of mental illness, and I would like to shroom again someday but I am pretty disappointed that the wise decision may be to refrain.

Whether or not a person's drug "behavior" or addiction gets out-of-control has nothing at all to do with maturity, and some would say that those with addictive tendencies can never really do drugs safely.

From what you said in your OP about your limited drug use, I don't think what you're experiencing now has anything to do with drugs. I could be wrong, of course, but it sounds to me like you're having panic attacks, which makes sense because you do sound quite neurotic and it sounds like you're really analyzing this to a degree that's making you paranoid. In that case, it probably is a good idea to lay off the drugs, especially until you find out for sure what it is that's causing your problem.

Since you have such significant mental illness history in your family, it's probably a good idea to talk to a psychiatrist about all of this and see what sort of prognosis he/she makes. It's very likely that you are fine and just experiencing normal, age-appropriate angst and stress, but in the case that you do have something more serious going on it will be good to find that out early.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 11:40:22 AM

Acid is better, cheaper and easier to get. Have you ever even tried to get ahold of shrooms, they are virtually non exsistant. You have to have alot of them to. I got some like 30 years ago for about $50 and it took mabey 15 or 20 of them to make tea and get 2 people high and it only lasted a couple of hours. Acid $5 to $15 and balls to the wall for a solid 12 hours. You might as well try and score some peoti while you are trying to score some shrooms.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 12:24:18 PM
At 10/27/2011 11:40:22 AM, sadolite wrote:

Acid is better, cheaper and easier to get. Have you ever even tried to get ahold of shrooms, they are virtually non exsistant. You have to have alot of them to. I got some like 30 years ago for about $50 and it took mabey 15 or 20 of them to make tea and get 2 people high and it only lasted a couple of hours. Acid $5 to $15 and balls to the wall for a solid 12 hours. You might as well try and score some peoti while you are trying to score some shrooms.

Truth^ not to mention your stomach might not take too kindly to shrooms. It's funny how people seem to be naturally more accepting of shrooms on account of it being natural, but users tend to report higher satisfaction with acid. Plus, the cost issue as sadolite mentioned.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 12:57:04 PM
At 7/23/2011 10:58:46 PM, Lasagna wrote:

and potential long term health effects

I am taking a college course on this very subject. Rob is 100% correct about this, and there is clear data to prove this (outside of controlled media hype)
kogline
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2011 1:24:53 PM
lasagna is it possible you have anxiety? i actually dropped out of school this semester because i started experiencing some stuff that was pretty unpleasant. i was dizzy all the time, i would feel weird sensations when stuff touched my skin, i felt like my heart wasn't pumping enough blood and i was always about to die. lots of fear and paranoia about stuff. i convinced myself i either had an autoimmune disease like MS or brain cancer, maybe stroke. after seeing a neurologist and getting an mri done i calmed down alot and alot of these symptoms either went away or were reduced a good deal.

i know these things don't match up with what you were describing, but anxiety can affect people in different ways and i agree with what one of the above posters said about possibly being panic attacks.

i talked to my mom about this and discovered she suffers from some of the same things, and has migraines and anxiety as well. i know conditions like what your mother has are heritable and are thought to be partial dominance genes. which means you might not have the disease but have some of the symptoms.

anyways i hope you feel better :)
if state farm has perfected teleportation technology why do they still sell car insurance?
kogline
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2011 1:31:21 PM

i'm sure lasagna will be very comforted that everyone else will be fine on hard drugs while his underlying condition causes him to lose his mind.

At 7/23/2011 11:33:38 AM, Danielle wrote:

not if your worried about neurological symptoms. i dont have any moral reasons to not try psychodelic drugs but i doubt i ever will because i am convinced that i will have a very bad trip. too much natural fear and anxiety, my best friends dad has a lot of experience with drugs and agrees that i should not touch those ones.

At 7/23/2011 9:53:09 AM, Danielle wrote:
Rob, when was the last time you did hard drugs? I'm not sure how you can at all say for certain that your experience from however long ago is what's causing your current mental state. It seems like you're just making assumptions without really any evidence. Studies have shown that over years of occasional use, the user notices no apparent change in his/her physical or mental condition that would be considered detrimental. In fact, many users state the opposite. You said you've tripped about 10 times. I've tripped more than that, and presumably in a much shorter period of time. I don't experience anything like what you've mentioned, and neither do a lot of people I know.

At 7/23/2011 9:41:23 AM, Danielle wrote:

You should really ask yourself why some random person without a medical degree's self-assessment over the internet is why you would choose to do or not do anything. Also why wouldn't they count? I'm pretty sure he said he did acid, shrooms and coke, and coke wouldn't affect you like that after the fact. If you're afraid of psychadelics then shrooms definitely count. Every shrooming experience I've had has been more intense than every acid trip I've had.
if state farm has perfected teleportation technology why do they still sell car insurance?
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2011 7:54:49 PM
The jury is out on whether or not it's just anxiety or not. I do get that feeling like you describe where you feel like you aren't breathing enough once in a while... One thing I've noticed is that there is something about me that makes me react differently than others to cannabis. Whil most people experience
-increased appetite
-relaxation
-eased nerves
-diminished pain,
I actually am affected inversely across the board. My muscles tighten up and I get anxious, and because my abdomen gets tight I lose my appetite. I could actually be very tired, smoke, and not want to eat at all. If it is cold I may start shaking uncontrollably. So this may hint at something about my mental state.
Rob
kogline
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2011 8:17:40 PM
im guessing it is still a positive experience for you overall though considering how long youve been doing it right? ive been thinking about taking up marijuana, ive only tried it twice. the first time i didnt smoke enough to feel anything but the second time i felt scared/paranoid. different paranoid from my friends who said they got scared of things like cops coming. my paranoia was more supernatural, like that i might dead or some other strange stuff. so i plan on going slow with it to see if i can relax my way out of that.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2011 2:47:31 AM
Marijuana can aggravate latent schizophrenia and cause clinical anxiety.

Shrooms are amazing, but you have to know someone.

Marginally helpful anecdote:

Once, I had a bad trip. I never did that drug again. I've been fine ever since.