Jump to topic:

Pipe Smoking...Again

Extremely-Far-Right
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2011 5:06:38 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Another question, I can't seem to find this anywhere on the internet. I have found that people claim that cigarette smoke harms your singing voice, but what if you smoke pipes?

I'm a singer, and don't want to start smoking pipes to kill my voice. Does anyone know that since you don't inhale pipe smoke, will it have a minimal if any effect on my voice?

(I realize this isn't really a debate, but I don't know where else to find the answer to this question)
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2011 5:18:00 PM
If you supposedly "don't inhale" there's no point whatsoever. If there's a point to pipe smoking, it's not gonna be good for your voice.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2011 9:25:27 PM
At 7/24/2011 5:18:00 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
If you supposedly "don't inhale" there's no point whatsoever.

?

~

I wouldn't think there'd be as much of an effect, but I wouldn't recommend the pipe if it's a legitimate concern you have.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
White12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2011 9:39:12 AM
As we all know, cigarette smoking is not the healthiest option of a lifestyle however regardless of the matter a smoker should be respected for the choices they make. This now in, the electronic cigarette provides a healthier and safer way to smoke without the need to consume excessive amounts of smoke which is bad for the lungs. When smoking an e-cigarette, there is no actual smoke being produced as the liquid within the e-cigarette is vaporized. This means a solution to the concern of second hand smoking. This allows for a better experience to smoke around the non-smokers in your family without the need of being anti-social!
electronic cigarette
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2011 9:45:54 AM
Smoking isn't good for your voice.

However, it really depends on what style of singing you are going for. Smoking will put some gravel in your voice, I hear.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2011 3:15:47 PM
At 7/24/2011 5:06:38 PM, Extremely-Far-Right wrote:
Another question, I can't seem to find this anywhere on the internet. I have found that people claim that cigarette smoke harms your singing voice, but what if you smoke pipes?

I'm a singer, and don't want to start smoking pipes to kill my voice. Does anyone know that since you don't inhale pipe smoke, will it have a minimal if any effect on my voice?

(I realize this isn't really a debate, but I don't know where else to find the answer to this question)

The only difference between pipes and cigarettes is that you don't burn paper in pipes.

Hookah is just as carcinogenic as a cigarette.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2011 3:23:55 PM
At 7/24/2011 5:18:00 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
If you supposedly "don't inhale" there's no point whatsoever. If there's a point to pipe smoking, it's not gonna be good for your voice.

The point is the taste, of course. The same is true of cigars, which are also not inhaled. The nicotine effects are negligible, so smoking can be stopped at time without withdrawal effects.

To make health studies come out politically correct, they find some of the very few people who do inhale and show it's as bad as cigarettes. The tobacco for pipes and cigars is fermented, which makes the smoke extremely acrid. It takes a hardly lad to inhale.

Pipe and cigar smoking is associated with throat cancer, so it still poses a health risk, though not in the same league with cigarettes.

I don't know what it does to the singing voice.