Jump to topic:

Doctor, Doctor

nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 10:18:59 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I know most people on here are American so I probably will get a lot of the same responses, but how often do you go to the doctor? How serious do your symptoms have to be before you'll see one?

I thought I'd share a personal story with you guys and see what you think. I see a couple of doctors on a regular basis, and a year ago I saw a whole bunch lol. It has been my experience that medication/intervention is way overprescribed.

A few months ago I asked one of my doctors to order a test for my hemoglobin because I was feeling wiped out all the time. It took nearly two months to get my results back because they said I had to go back to the original doctor who ordered the tests. She was quite alarmed by my results, because not only was I low again, but I was approaching hyperthyroid. She told me to go to my family physician and order new tests. My family physician prescribed iron for me and ordered an ultrasound of my thyroid, then found something else wrong with me, and took some blood to re-test because she was prescribing all these things based on tests I'd taken two months prior.

So I'm doing everything my family physician told me to do and I come back a few days later for my most recent results, and... everything is fine. My hemoglobin is normal and my thyroid is normal. I ask if I should still go to the ultrasound and the doc is kind of like "umm your thyroid is fine. But go, just in case."

So it struck me as odd that my body put itself back to normal and, had I gotten my first test results back on time, I would have been prescribed a whole bunch of bullsh-t and I would have attributed my newfound "health" to the doctor.

A year ago I lost a lot of faith in doctors and now I'm starting to think they're kind of useless. Thoughts?
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 10:32:35 AM
I see my doctor once a year just for a checkup. I've been reading though that they are quite useless. Often times If I do go to the doctor I often regret it. Just a long wait to find out nothing is wrong. But hey, I have health insurance so I don't need to worry about the price :p.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 10:40:34 AM
A lot of times I feel like they're looking for something to be wrong.

My family physician "discovered" that I had an arrhythmia and told me if I felt any chest pain, I should go straight to the emergency room. I was literally fine before that appointment, but afterward my chest kept hurting. I couldn't sleep that night because I kept thinking "oh no, should I go to emerg?" Well I didn't. My chest is fine and I'm still alive.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 3:05:39 PM
At 8/24/2011 10:40:34 AM, nonentity wrote:

My family physician "discovered" that I had an arrhythmia and told me if I felt any chest pain, I should go straight to the emergency room. I was literally fine before that appointment, but afterward my chest kept hurting. I couldn't sleep that night because I kept thinking "oh no, should I go to emerg?" Well I didn't. My chest is fine and I'm still alive.

It's called preventative medicine.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 3:14:39 PM
At 8/24/2011 10:40:34 AM, nonentity wrote:

In a way, they are. If something is wrong and they miss it, their butt in on the legal line (pending how obvious it was at the time).

"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 3:15:09 PM
I just recently got health insurance, and still have to pick out a doctor.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"