Total Posts:35|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Organic Food

Lionheart
Posts: 520
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2011 9:15:33 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
How do you feel about organic food?
"Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength;
mastering yourself is true power."


- Lionheart -
Lionheart
Posts: 520
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 3:12:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/26/2011 3:04:37 AM, VainApocalypse wrote:
At 8/25/2011 9:15:33 PM, Lionheart wrote:
How do you feel about organic food?

It is neither viable nor desirable.

Why is it not desirable?

All the organic food I have eaten tastes the same or better than it's non-organic equivalent.
"Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength;
mastering yourself is true power."


- Lionheart -
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 3:35:16 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
not worth the extra money for the most part. i would totally support antibiotic free (or at least minimized) farms though... if any still exist :P
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 3:58:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/26/2011 3:56:30 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Organic means it is full of natural crap.

natural & crap = oxymoron. What you really mean is that Non-organic food is full of unnatural crap. Organic food tastes just as good, often better than its processed counterpart.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 4:00:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/26/2011 3:58:48 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/26/2011 3:56:30 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Organic means it is full of natural crap.

natural & crap = oxymoron. What you really mean is that Non-organic food is full of unnatural crap. Organic food tastes just as good, often better than its processed counterpart.

I disagree. Since taste is unique to each of our individual taste buds, it is very subjective. I find that Organic to often be less tasteful (though that is not true for all organic, just most).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 4:02:28 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/26/2011 3:58:48 PM, 000ike wrote:

natural & crap = oxymoron.

lies! manure is often used as fertilizer
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 4:10:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/26/2011 4:08:50 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
fruits/vegetables from the amish market are the best. (if there are amish in your area)

I showed an Amish guy that you could use a potato to power a light bulb. Now he thinks that potatos are the foods of the devil.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 4:11:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/26/2011 4:10:29 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/26/2011 4:08:50 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
fruits/vegetables from the amish market are the best. (if there are amish in your area)

I showed an Amish guy that you could use a potato to power a light bulb. Now he thinks that potatos are the foods of the devil.

I should apologize for this, but there's no amish people on DDO.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Lionheart
Posts: 520
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 4:19:42 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Maybe this will be a good debate topic.

Anyone want to participate?

Let me know if you are interested. I am going to do some research about organic food vs. non-organic food.
"Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength;
mastering yourself is true power."


- Lionheart -
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 4:20:42 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/26/2011 4:19:42 PM, Lionheart wrote:
Maybe this will be a good debate topic.

Anyone want to participate?

Let me know if you are interested. I am going to do some research about organic food vs. non-organic food.

How about Organic vs All-Natural
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 4:21:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I am sure there are people that believe only the purest and tasty things come from nature and that only harmful things are created from man.

The same people would reject Coke cola if they tried to introduce a new Coke that actually tasted good in a blind taste test.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 4:21:49 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/26/2011 4:00:27 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/26/2011 3:58:48 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/26/2011 3:56:30 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Organic means it is full of natural crap.

natural & crap = oxymoron. What you really mean is that Non-organic food is full of unnatural crap. Organic food tastes just as good, often better than its processed counterpart.

I disagree. Since taste is unique to each of our individual taste buds, it is very subjective. I find that Organic to often be less tasteful (though that is not true for all organic, just most).

At first I was agreeing, and then I read those last few words in the parentheses. How do you know that most organic food is less tasteful? You would have to have to have tasted most organic foods to form that opinion. Even when you have tasted most organic foods, the opinion would only apply to you since, as you said, taste is subjective. And even the degree to which taste is subjective is rather narrow. You'd be hard pressed to find an individual who hates ice cream for example...I mean, you will find one, but its not common.

Variables also apply...for example, an organic apple. What if the sugar content of that specific particular apple that you picked just so happened to be low? If would be less tasteful now wouldn't it?

In conclusion. Taste isn't that subjective and you can't form the conclusion that most organic foods are less tasteful.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 4:23:55 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/26/2011 4:21:49 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/26/2011 4:00:27 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/26/2011 3:58:48 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/26/2011 3:56:30 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Organic means it is full of natural crap.

natural & crap = oxymoron. What you really mean is that Non-organic food is full of unnatural crap. Organic food tastes just as good, often better than its processed counterpart.

I disagree. Since taste is unique to each of our individual taste buds, it is very subjective. I find that Organic to often be less tasteful (though that is not true for all organic, just most).

At first I was agreeing, and then I read those last few words in the parentheses. How do you know that most organic food is less tasteful? You would have to have to have tasted most organic foods to form that opinion. Even when you have tasted most organic foods, the opinion would only apply to you since, as you said, taste is subjective. And even the degree to which taste is subjective is rather narrow. You'd be hard pressed to find an individual who hates ice cream for example...I mean, you will find one, but its not common.

Variables also apply...for example, an organic apple. What if the sugar content of that specific particular apple that you picked just so happened to be low? If would be less tasteful now wouldn't it?

In conclusion. Taste isn't that subjective and you can't form the conclusion that most organic foods are less tasteful.

That's why I put "I find that..." in the beginning, to show that it was based on my subjective tastebuds.

Though it should say "most that I've tried" rather than just "most."
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
VainApocalypse
Posts: 74
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 8:21:28 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/26/2011 3:12:47 PM, Lionheart wrote:
At 8/26/2011 3:04:37 AM, VainApocalypse wrote:
At 8/25/2011 9:15:33 PM, Lionheart wrote:
How do you feel about organic food?

It is neither viable nor desirable.

Why is it not desirable?

All the organic food I have eaten tastes the same or better than it's non-organic equivalent.

That's not necessarily so, and the comparison is a difficult one to make. If we're talking about produce, minute variations in a plant's ripeness and place of growth can contribute to differences in flavor.

Most consumers are also subject to a subconscious bias; they prefer the taste of anything labeled organic [1], presumably because the media has instilled this in them. Several studies confirm this in one way or another. A plainly biased organization, The Organic Center, published an analysis of a relevant body of research, and even it was forced to grudgingly conclude, "Most studies report no consistent or significant differences in taste [between organic and conventional foods]" [2].

Their desirability is also diminished by their premium cost, ranging between ten and forty percent more than conventional equivalents [3]. This is attributable to a host of logistical issues, regulations and supply and demand. And for your premium expenditure, you'll receive a lower shelf life at that.

Meanwhile, efforts by the organic industry to demonize safer, healthier, cheaper, higher yield, longer lasting GMOs has caused nothing short of a humanitarian tragedy in Africa and India and stunted the growth of genetics here in America. Children in India have gone blind because they're _organic_ rice didn't proffer enough vitamin A. It's only because we've partially abandoned organic foods that we're even able today to produce crops (GMOs) with yields high enough to feed regions with high populations and little arable land [4].

1. http://www.sciencedaily.com...
2. http://www.organic-center.org...
3. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com...
4. http://en.wikipedia.org...
Tiel
Posts: 1,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2011 8:01:54 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/26/2011 8:21:28 PM, VainApocalypse wrote:
At 8/26/2011 3:12:47 PM, Lionheart wrote:
At 8/26/2011 3:04:37 AM, VainApocalypse wrote:
At 8/25/2011 9:15:33 PM, Lionheart wrote:
How do you feel about organic food?

It is neither viable nor desirable.

Why is it not desirable?

All the organic food I have eaten tastes the same or better than it's non-organic equivalent.

That's not necessarily so, and the comparison is a difficult one to make. If we're talking about produce, minute variations in a plant's ripeness and place of growth can contribute to differences in flavor.

Most consumers are also subject to a subconscious bias; they prefer the taste of anything labeled organic [1], presumably because the media has instilled this in them. Several studies confirm this in one way or another. A plainly biased organization, The Organic Center, published an analysis of a relevant body of research, and even it was forced to grudgingly conclude, "Most studies report no consistent or significant differences in taste [between organic and conventional foods]" [2].

Their desirability is also diminished by their premium cost, ranging between ten and forty percent more than conventional equivalents [3]. This is attributable to a host of logistical issues, regulations and supply and demand. And for your premium expenditure, you'll receive a lower shelf life at that.

Meanwhile, efforts by the organic industry to demonize safer, healthier, cheaper, higher yield, longer lasting GMOs has caused nothing short of a humanitarian tragedy in Africa and India and stunted the growth of genetics here in America. Children in India have gone blind because they're _organic_ rice didn't proffer enough vitamin A. It's only because we've partially abandoned organic foods that we're even able today to produce crops (GMOs) with yields high enough to feed regions with high populations and little arable land [4].

1. http://www.sciencedaily.com...
2. http://www.organic-center.org...
3. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com...
4. http://en.wikipedia.org...

Some organic food is proven to be more healthy for the human body, when compared to it's non-organic equivalent. Trying to justify non-organic food by giving examples of African starvation is inaccurate and misplaced in many ways. Though it would take multiple long paragraphs to thoroughly explain.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
VainApocalypse
Posts: 74
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2011 11:28:44 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/27/2011 8:01:54 PM, Tiel wrote:
At 8/26/2011 8:21:28 PM, VainApocalypse wrote:
At 8/26/2011 3:12:47 PM, Lionheart wrote:
At 8/26/2011 3:04:37 AM, VainApocalypse wrote:
At 8/25/2011 9:15:33 PM, Lionheart wrote:
How do you feel about organic food?

It is neither viable nor desirable.

Why is it not desirable?

All the organic food I have eaten tastes the same or better than it's non-organic equivalent.

That's not necessarily so, and the comparison is a difficult one to make. If we're talking about produce, minute variations in a plant's ripeness and place of growth can contribute to differences in flavor.

Most consumers are also subject to a subconscious bias; they prefer the taste of anything labeled organic [1], presumably because the media has instilled this in them. Several studies confirm this in one way or another. A plainly biased organization, The Organic Center, published an analysis of a relevant body of research, and even it was forced to grudgingly conclude, "Most studies report no consistent or significant differences in taste [between organic and conventional foods]" [2].

Their desirability is also diminished by their premium cost, ranging between ten and forty percent more than conventional equivalents [3]. This is attributable to a host of logistical issues, regulations and supply and demand. And for your premium expenditure, you'll receive a lower shelf life at that.

Meanwhile, efforts by the organic industry to demonize safer, healthier, cheaper, higher yield, longer lasting GMOs has caused nothing short of a humanitarian tragedy in Africa and India and stunted the growth of genetics here in America. Children in India have gone blind because they're _organic_ rice didn't proffer enough vitamin A. It's only because we've partially abandoned organic foods that we're even able today to produce crops (GMOs) with yields high enough to feed regions with high populations and little arable land [4].

1. http://www.sciencedaily.com...
2. http://www.organic-center.org...
3. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com...
4. http://en.wikipedia.org...

Some organic food is proven to be more healthy for the human body, when compared to it's non-organic equivalent. Trying to justify non-organic food by giving examples of African starvation is inaccurate and misplaced in many ways. Though it would take multiple long paragraphs to thoroughly explain.

Yes, some organic vegetables (not all) have marginally higher vitamin C and marginally lower nitrates and nitrites than their conventionally grown counterparts. Yes, organic tomatoes, under certain conditions, may have more flavonoids. Meanwhile, other organic foods are actually less nutritious in same ways (less iron and iodine in organic potatoes for example). Studies purporting the nutritional equivalence between the two camps for specific species of food are not scarce. Lets not forget, when we're discussing the nutritional value of non-organic food, we're not necessarily discussing genetically enhanced food, which, by definition, can be made to deliver whatever nutrients are necessary or marketable -- a property inherently absent in organics.

And you're right, mentioning Asia's (and Africa's to a lesser extent) dependency on genetically enhanced food is misleading. It implies that we have to search around the globe to find the benefits of genetically enhanced food, when in reality, the benefits exist here in America. GMOs here have increased yields, lowered prices, decreased environmental impacts and in some cases increased nutritional value.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2011 2:11:35 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Food is tasty.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2011 2:42:30 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/28/2011 2:23:17 AM, VainApocalypse wrote:
At 8/28/2011 2:11:35 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Food is tasty.

Not all food, and not to all people.

I'm aesthetically retarded, these words mean nothing to me.

Try wrapping some organic food in a burrito. I bet it would be good then.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Tiel
Posts: 1,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2011 7:53:34 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/27/2011 11:28:44 PM, VainApocalypse wrote:
At 8/27/2011 8:01:54 PM, Tiel wrote:
At 8/26/2011 8:21:28 PM, VainApocalypse wrote:
At 8/26/2011 3:12:47 PM, Lionheart wrote:
At 8/26/2011 3:04:37 AM, VainApocalypse wrote:
At 8/25/2011 9:15:33 PM, Lionheart wrote:
How do you feel about organic food?

It is neither viable nor desirable.

Why is it not desirable?

All the organic food I have eaten tastes the same or better than it's non-organic equivalent.

That's not necessarily so, and the comparison is a difficult one to make. If we're talking about produce, minute variations in a plant's ripeness and place of growth can contribute to differences in flavor.

Most consumers are also subject to a subconscious bias; they prefer the taste of anything labeled organic [1], presumably because the media has instilled this in them. Several studies confirm this in one way or another. A plainly biased organization, The Organic Center, published an analysis of a relevant body of research, and even it was forced to grudgingly conclude, "Most studies report no consistent or significant differences in taste [between organic and conventional foods]" [2].

Their desirability is also diminished by their premium cost, ranging between ten and forty percent more than conventional equivalents [3]. This is attributable to a host of logistical issues, regulations and supply and demand. And for your premium expenditure, you'll receive a lower shelf life at that.

Meanwhile, efforts by the organic industry to demonize safer, healthier, cheaper, higher yield, longer lasting GMOs has caused nothing short of a humanitarian tragedy in Africa and India and stunted the growth of genetics here in America. Children in India have gone blind because they're _organic_ rice didn't proffer enough vitamin A. It's only because we've partially abandoned organic foods that we're even able today to produce crops (GMOs) with yields high enough to feed regions with high populations and little arable land [4].

1. http://www.sciencedaily.com...
2. http://www.organic-center.org...
3. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com...
4. http://en.wikipedia.org...

Some organic food is proven to be more healthy for the human body, when compared to it's non-organic equivalent. Trying to justify non-organic food by giving examples of African starvation is inaccurate and misplaced in many ways. Though it would take multiple long paragraphs to thoroughly explain.

Yes, some organic vegetables (not all) have marginally higher vitamin C and marginally lower nitrates and nitrites than their conventionally grown counterparts. Yes, organic tomatoes, under certain conditions, may have more flavonoids. Meanwhile, other organic foods are actually less nutritious in same ways (less iron and iodine in organic potatoes for example). Studies purporting the nutritional equivalence between the two camps for specific species of food are not scarce. Lets not forget, when we're discussing the nutritional value of non-organic food, we're not necessarily discussing genetically enhanced food, which, by definition, can be made to deliver whatever nutrients are necessary or marketable -- a property inherently absent in organics.

And you're right, mentioning Asia's (and Africa's to a lesser extent) dependency on genetically enhanced food is misleading. It implies that we have to search around the globe to find the benefits of genetically enhanced food, when in reality, the benefits exist here in America. GMOs here have increased yields, lowered prices, decreased environmental impacts and in some cases increased nutritional value.

http://www.independent.co.uk...
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
VainApocalypse
Posts: 74
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2011 7:40:41 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/1/2011 7:53:34 PM, Tiel wrote:
At 8/27/2011 11:28:44 PM, VainApocalypse wrote:
At 8/27/2011 8:01:54 PM, Tiel wrote:
At 8/26/2011 8:21:28 PM, VainApocalypse wrote:
At 8/26/2011 3:12:47 PM, Lionheart wrote:
At 8/26/2011 3:04:37 AM, VainApocalypse wrote:
At 8/25/2011 9:15:33 PM, Lionheart wrote:
How do you feel about organic food?

It is neither viable nor desirable.

Why is it not desirable?

All the organic food I have eaten tastes the same or better than it's non-organic equivalent.

That's not necessarily so, and the comparison is a difficult one to make. If we're talking about produce, minute variations in a plant's ripeness and place of growth can contribute to differences in flavor.

Most consumers are also subject to a subconscious bias; they prefer the taste of anything labeled organic [1], presumably because the media has instilled this in them. Several studies confirm this in one way or another. A plainly biased organization, The Organic Center, published an analysis of a relevant body of research, and even it was forced to grudgingly conclude, "Most studies report no consistent or significant differences in taste [between organic and conventional foods]" [2].

Their desirability is also diminished by their premium cost, ranging between ten and forty percent more than conventional equivalents [3]. This is attributable to a host of logistical issues, regulations and supply and demand. And for your premium expenditure, you'll receive a lower shelf life at that.

Meanwhile, efforts by the organic industry to demonize safer, healthier, cheaper, higher yield, longer lasting GMOs has caused nothing short of a humanitarian tragedy in Africa and India and stunted the growth of genetics here in America. Children in India have gone blind because they're _organic_ rice didn't proffer enough vitamin A. It's only because we've partially abandoned organic foods that we're even able today to produce crops (GMOs) with yields high enough to feed regions with high populations and little arable land [4].

1. http://www.sciencedaily.com...
2. http://www.organic-center.org...
3. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com...
4. http://en.wikipedia.org...

Some organic food is proven to be more healthy for the human body, when compared to it's non-organic equivalent. Trying to justify non-organic food by giving examples of African starvation is inaccurate and misplaced in many ways. Though it would take multiple long paragraphs to thoroughly explain.

Yes, some organic vegetables (not all) have marginally higher vitamin C and marginally lower nitrates and nitrites than their conventionally grown counterparts. Yes, organic tomatoes, under certain conditions, may have more flavonoids. Meanwhile, other organic foods are actually less nutritious in same ways (less iron and iodine in organic potatoes for example). Studies purporting the nutritional equivalence between the two camps for specific species of food are not scarce. Lets not forget, when we're discussing the nutritional value of non-organic food, we're not necessarily discussing genetically enhanced food, which, by definition, can be made to deliver whatever nutrients are necessary or marketable -- a property inherently absent in organics.

And you're right, mentioning Asia's (and Africa's to a lesser extent) dependency on genetically enhanced food is misleading. It implies that we have to search around the globe to find the benefits of genetically enhanced food, when in reality, the benefits exist here in America. GMOs here have increased yields, lowered prices, decreased environmental impacts and in some cases increased nutritional value.

http://www.independent.co.uk...

Was this meant to be in anyway contrary to what I have said?

Yes, some organic food is more nutritious. I even specifically mentioned the marginally higher prevalence of vitamin C in some organic produce. What you and the study ignored was that this benefit doesn't exist across the board for organic foods[1][2].

Perhaps most importantly, the organic label would preclude any GMO enhanced to provide more nutrients. By definition limiting the nutrition that can be found in these foods.

Those anti-oxidants? 1: http://www.sciencedaily.com...
A more comprehensive study. 2: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com...
VainApocalypse
Posts: 74
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2011 11:36:31 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
As I've already implied, organic food is in many cases less nutritious. Organic pork isn't enriched with polyunsaturated fatty acids or vitamin C. Organic soybeans aren't enriched with monounsaturated fatty acids. Organic rice isn't enriched with iron, vitamin A or vitamin B. Organic lemons aren't enriched with more vitamin C and beta-carotene. Organic lettuce isn't enriched with vitamin E. Organic wheat isn't enriched with phytase, allowing for better uptake of iron and zinc. Organic potatoes aren't enriched with beta-carotene or zeaxanthin, which may help prevent retina degeneration. For any of these benefits, you have to turn to genetically modified foods, which are almost totally excluded from the organic food market by the USDA.

http://www.gmo-compass.org...
Tiel
Posts: 1,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 3:33:21 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/2/2011 11:36:31 AM, VainApocalypse wrote:
As I've already implied, organic food is in many cases less nutritious. Organic pork isn't enriched with polyunsaturated fatty acids or vitamin C. Organic soybeans aren't enriched with monounsaturated fatty acids. Organic rice isn't enriched with iron, vitamin A or vitamin B. Organic lemons aren't enriched with more vitamin C and beta-carotene. Organic lettuce isn't enriched with vitamin E. Organic wheat isn't enriched with phytase, allowing for better uptake of iron and zinc. Organic potatoes aren't enriched with beta-carotene or zeaxanthin, which may help prevent retina degeneration. For any of these benefits, you have to turn to genetically modified foods, which are almost totally excluded from the organic food market by the USDA.

http://www.gmo-compass.org...

Just because a breed of plant is genetically modified, that doesn't mean that it can't be grown organically. Sorry, but organically grown food is the healthiest for the human body. Of course, there are always studies and scientists that will support either side.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
VainApocalypse
Posts: 74
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 2:51:15 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/3/2011 3:33:21 AM, Tiel wrote:
At 9/2/2011 11:36:31 AM, VainApocalypse wrote:
As I've already implied, organic food is in many cases less nutritious. Organic pork isn't enriched with polyunsaturated fatty acids or vitamin C. Organic soybeans aren't enriched with monounsaturated fatty acids. Organic rice isn't enriched with iron, vitamin A or vitamin B. Organic lemons aren't enriched with more vitamin C and beta-carotene. Organic lettuce isn't enriched with vitamin E. Organic wheat isn't enriched with phytase, allowing for better uptake of iron and zinc. Organic potatoes aren't enriched with beta-carotene or zeaxanthin, which may help prevent retina degeneration. For any of these benefits, you have to turn to genetically modified foods, which are almost totally excluded from the organic food market by the USDA.

http://www.gmo-compass.org...

Just because a breed of plant is genetically modified, that doesn't mean that it can't be grown organically.

Just because something is "organically grown" doesn't mean that it's organic food. Don't swap the terms and expect no one to notice. The USDA, the EU and every other regulating body strictly prohibit GMOs from being classified as organic food, which is the topic of discussion. GMOs are not organic.

You'll have a hard time even finding farmers who "organically grow" GMOs knowingly, because without the organic label, there's no incentive for them to grow things organically.
intellectuallyprimitive
Posts: 1,000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 10:45:07 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/25/2011 9:15:33 PM, Lionheart wrote:
How do you feel about organic food?

Theoretically and what is actually practiced, is unfortunately, differing.

Organic products are designed to be devoid of chemicals, grown with water and soil that is not chemically altered. Organic products are also designed to resmeble what plants and foods we would consume from the wild. Albeit, this is usually not the case because of the impracticality and cost.

Many organic organizations do in fact, utilize chemicals to prevent insects, and to enhance the growth of the products to yield a more robust crop. Organic companies also use less, or almost no preservatives, which decreases the shelf life of the product, which thusly decreases revenue.
Christysmith
Posts: 3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2015 8:21:37 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/25/2011 9:15:33 PM, Lionheart wrote:
How do you feel about organic food?

Organic foods are usually fresh and tastie. also have good nutrition value compared to inorganic foods.